Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,269 members, 7,826,030 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Western Blacks with Igbo Names - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Western Blacks with Igbo Names (12883 Views)

60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls / Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by Ihuomadinihu: 9:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
bigfrancis21:

My dad did his bachelors and masters here in the US back in the 80s before leaving for Nigeria right after. He dated an African American while he was here and guess what? This lady adopted our family last name after he left, had a daughter and gave her our family last name and her daughter now had a son who she still gave her son our family last name! Now, there is a whole different branch of our family last name existing in the United States!

And just like you said, this lady's daughter always felt she had Ibo roots even though she wasn't sure and when Nigerians asked her if her last name was Ibo or Yoruba, she said she always responded 'Ibo' even before confirming it with me on Facebook. She plans to visit Nigeria someday.
I totally agree with you. Apart from that,it's our duty to teach those of them that show interest in the igbo culture. I was even surprised when one of them joined the struggle for the actualization of Biafra via facebook,lol.
Apparently,she has been making independent researches about igbos after the little discussion we had.

2 Likes

Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by macof(m): 2:04am On Nov 14, 2015
ezeagu:
[size=18pt]Jhene Efuru Aiko[/size]

Jhene Aiko is a musician from America and was given 'Efuru' as a middle name (which she uses on her official twitter handle) from Flora Nwapa's novel.

I love Her music, Btw what does it mean? Anything to do with the clouds?

See wikipedia

Jhené Aiko was born and raised in Los Angeles, California, the daughter of Christina Yamamoto and Dr. Karamo Chilombo (né Gregory Wycliff Barnes), a pediatrician.[7] Her older sisters Miyoko and Jamila were in the R&B group Gyrl, and toured with Immature, who were signed to MCA and Silas Records. Aiko is of African American, Japanese, Spanish, Dominican, German Jewish, French, and Native American descent.

In September 2014, Aiko revealed she was in a relationship with New York City-based record producer Oladipo "Dot da Genius" Omishore

Apparently her father being mostly African American must have given her the name. "Chilombo" her last name, is Igbo right?

She was born to a mother of Japanese, Spanish and Afro-Dominican descent named Christina Yamamoto and a father of African American, Jewish and Native American descent named Karamo Chilombo.

The singer showed off her mixed race by tweeting in Yoruba Language, one of the major tribes in Nigeria. She tweeted “Kuroni’waju mi” which means, “Leave my front/face”, in English.

http://www.36ng.com.ng/2014/06/19/jhene-aiko-flaunts-african-roots-tweeting-yoruba/

I always felt there was something about her
Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by macof(m): 2:11am On Nov 14, 2015
bronzegoddess:

Kamyechukwuoyinye...kanye for short.

Kamyekene ...kanye for short.

The name "kanye" makes sense in Yoruba and I hear it has a meaning in fulbe too
Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by Nobody: 6:11am On Nov 14, 2015
Chilombo isn't Igbo. It's from somewhere in the Bantu-speaking areas.

3 Likes

Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by Ihuomadinihu: 7:01am On Nov 14, 2015
macof:

The name "kanye" makes sense in Yoruba and I hear it has a meaning in fulbe too
Which one is makes sense in Yoruba and fulbe? Topic is Western blacks with Igbo names. Let the thread be for what it was original created for,biko zi nu.

4 Likes

Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by macof(m): 9:10am On Nov 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Which one is makes sense in Yoruba and fulbe? Topic is Western blacks with Igbo names. Let the thread be for what was original created for,biko zi nu.

Ok
Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by bigfrancis21: 5:09pm On Nov 14, 2015
macof:

I love Her music, Btw what does it mean? Anything to do with the clouds?

See wikipedia
Apparently her father being mostly African American must have given her the name. "Chilombo" her last name, is Igbo right?

I always felt there was something about her

I think her tweet in Yoruba is as a consequence of dating a Yoruba Nigerian, Oladipo. Just as Nnamdi Asomugha's wife, an African American, tweeted in Igbo recently.

Chilombo isn't Igbo. It is a name in Zambia/Southern Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by onila(f): 5:20pm On Nov 14, 2015
met a girl from the caribbean in my class

her middle name is olufunmi

1 Like

Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by Axis313(m): 6:58pm On Aug 04, 2017
ezeagu:

Cool...
Speaking of Kanye, some have even linked his name to Igbo, but no confirmation.
Adekanye.More of a yoruba name.
Re: Western Blacks with Igbo Names by hitmanogo: 4:06pm On Oct 10, 2022
Kanye pronunciation is more igbo than yoruba.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Complete List Of Nigerian States, Lga And Towns / 2022 Okwemma Masquerade Display Of Bonny Island (Pics,Video) / Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.