Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,938 members, 7,838,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? (11535 Views)

Poll: what would You Prefer

Shoe Driving: 47% (51 votes)
Foot Driving: 52% (57 votes)
This poll has ended

Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? / Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. / How Much Does It Cost To Clear A 40 Foot Container In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by nike4luv(f): 9:40am On Jul 08, 2009
wetin cheesy
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by Eeyore(m): 10:58am On Jul 08, 2009
I swing both ways comfortably, i.e, with or without footwears. It depends on what mood I'm in at the moment.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by Jaytee67(m): 1:37pm On Jul 08, 2009
I am also indifferent. In most cases, however, I drive with my shoes on. I think it is good to train oneself with both approach.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by smooooooth: 3:55pm On Jul 08, 2009
bare foot driving is for learners,  you proly think u shld measure the pressure u are applying on the pedals

but really its all in our head. drivning with your shoes on its the best, once u get used to it, u will find out u

comfortable driving with any kinda foot wear.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by dipo2much(m): 7:01pm On Jul 08, 2009
Instead of driving on foot why not wear good socks? I subsribe to the thought that foot driving is for learners. And when you get too used to it,its becomes almost impossible to drive with shoes on
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 08, 2009
please wear shoes when driving. Even if its slippers or flipflops.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by reindeer: 9:44pm On Jul 08, 2009
shut up and drive!
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by lastpage: 1:04am On Jul 09, 2009
First, if you drive long distance, and in traffic snarls, you will eventually start having pains on the sole of your foot, especially the foot that presses the accelerator, and God help you if the car is "manual"!
Use a "flat-soled" slip-ons like the "Drivers" (a kind of flat, rubber-soled shoe).

The other day, l drove with a bathroom sleepers to the office and ended-up with that slippers on my feet, with a three-piece bankers Suit, right there in the office!
Colleagues taught l had "flipped" finally, only one nice female friend took the courage to call me aside, after about 30mins, to ask: "which ones now, dis one na new style or wetin"? shocked shocked

Of-course, "omo-eko" like me, l 'twisted' that l 'injured my big toe' in a football match and could not don a shoe! embarassed grin
I tipped-toed for a few minutes before diving for the car park to change to normal office shoes.
One of my pals asked me whether the toe has healed so quickly?
I screwed my face up, gave him a glaring "witch" look , and said l will manage! tongue

Lastpage
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by sharepain(m): 5:16am On Jul 09, 2009
hi, Shoe Driving is better than Foot Driving for 1(one) simple reason, most shoe soles has gripper to hold firm on the pedal than bare foot which can be slippery especially when the pedal shoe of such vehicle is gone, although when i say shoe is better i don't mean those shoes that has walk the whole lagos street with no more shoe gripper or flat based shoe neither high heel shoe that does not conform with driving rules.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by GoldCircle: 7:27am On Jul 09, 2009
I hate driving barefooted!Sounds 2 me like something from the 'flintstones'.I think a good driver should be able 2 drive irrespective of the footwear.I dey even drive with wellington boots sef!
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by ayde: 8:51am On Jul 09, 2009
There are no fast rules about shoe wearing when it comes to driving; it's how best you can move the car and drive safely. I foot drive and have been doing so for a couple of years now, it's more comfortable for me and i have a better grip on the pedals. Either way you are comfy with, just drive safe.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 09, 2009
I've read different replies, and various reasons why one is best off driving barefoot.
None of these reasons are valid!

Some claim distance can be uncomfortable with shoes on. I've driven from South London, to Dover, crossed over into Calais, France. Driven from Calais to Britanny (6 hours) then from Britanny to Spain (11 hours). With shoes on, and I'm still alive.

In the UK and US, it's illegal to drive barefoot. Driving an automobile is no different from operating machinery - you wouldn't work in a factory, or operate machinery barefoot. Same applies to driving. If you crashed, and it was discovered you were barefoot, your insurance would NOT pay out, and if your feet are injured in the crash, tough.

Then those that say "I learnt to drive barefoot, so don't feel comfortable driving with shoes." What's that all about?? We're human, and humans adapt, it's what makes us what we are! If you can't adapt, how can you move on in life? So, if you were brought up in Mushin, you couldn't live and survive in Abuja? C'mon!

I started driving in Nigeria when I was 11 (God forgive me!) and even then, I ALWAYS used sandals or slippers. This was in my dad's Volkswagen Igala, where the pedals are hinged from the floor end (old-style VW Beetle drivers will understand what I mean). Believe me, this pedal arrangement is more awkward than modern cars, yet, I was able to master driving with shoes on.

And those that say, pedals ruin their shoes, I honestly don't know what to say there! If your pedals are that stiff, that they'll "ruin your shoes", then you need to get them fixed!
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 09, 2009
ayde:

There are no fast rules about shoe wearing when it comes to driving; it's how best you can move the car and drive safely. I foot drive and have been doing so for a couple of years now, it's more comfortable for me and i have a better grip on the pedals. Either way you are comfy with, just drive safe.

Wrong, my sister.

Some lorry drivers are more comfortable driving long distance with their left foot resting on the dashboard, same goes for luxurious bus / coach drivers.

The fact they're more comfortable driving that way, doesn't make it safe, or right!
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by desgiezd(m): 12:19pm On Jul 09, 2009
I love driving with shoes and it feels so comfortable for me but it was damaging my shoes. Now I drive without shoes and even without socks because my socks hardly last two weeks when I drive with them. For me, it is ridiculous putting off and then wearing socks and shoes each time I am to drive. Does anyone know how I can drive with shoes without getting them damaged?
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by royalicon(m): 8:35am On Jul 10, 2009
Either way is better, the most important consideration here is your SAFETY, Driving safe is the issue.

As for me, Driving with shoe is preferable. Better still with smart shoe when on long journey, its more comfortable.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by wonderbod(f): 12:01pm On Jul 10, 2009
it depends on wat makes u comfortable what u learnt driving with.
personally,i cant drive without my shoes.i feel like the brakes will slip wen i try to  step on them.although i started doin this jst out of vanity cos my senior colleague said it wasn't chic to drive without my shoes on n she neva wanted 2 c me driving without shoes. so now,from flip-flops to 5 inch hooker heels,i keep them on . whoever sits in the car with me 4 d first time always go 'wow,u drive with such high heels!'.Dependin on the shape of the shoe,i put my foot at a different angle n pull my seat either forward or backwards.
i can never forget one day i was stuck in traffic on ozumba mbadiniwe n our 'brothers'  started robbing from car to car.all i had to do was turn off dmy car n take off!   I WAS WEARING STRAPPY SANDALS WITH SEVERAL BUCKLES.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by icemann(m): 7:33pm On Jul 10, 2009
shoes babby!!!!! No time to remove and wear shoe, try it, with time u will get used to it
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by agathamari(f): 7:52pm On Jul 10, 2009
with shoes on for saftey reasons. some countries including the US and Canada actualy require shoes while driving.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by jaymdee(m): 6:45am On Jul 11, 2009
You have better control without ur shoes,but its more professnl 2 drive with shoes.Boots can be stressful though.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by impish: 9:30am On Jul 11, 2009
ive been driving with my shoes on since i started driving, some 6/7 years ago.

however, one time, i was driving with heels on in an automatic, and the heel got stuck in the footmat (its the type with lots of holes in it) and i cudnt take my right foot off to press the brakes!! it was a horror few seconds for me. i guess i eventually turned my foot n pressed the brakes, stopped the car n wrestled my foot out of the mat!

but i still continue to drive with my shoes on. its a matter of preference. but i just think its a bit tacky to get to church or a wedding and start battling with ur shoes etc, just MHO
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by bigben3: 9:47am On Jul 11, 2009
tried driving with barefoot,very akward feeling,
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by eccelumen: 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2009
Shoe driving is d best. I advice all of U out there to learn it,even if not comfortable.for me,i can make use of any cos i actualy learnt both,but i prefare shoe driving.its d best.bare foot driving is only local and premitive for people of dis generation to practice.pls drive with ur shoes and avoid embarassment and premitivity.[color=#000099][/color][i][/i]

Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 11, 2009
if its maual i drive barefoot if its auto i drive with shoes on, either ways i drive like colin mcrae
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by ng2009(f): 5:46pm On Jul 11, 2009
are you kidding me i drive with shoes on even stilletos its quite convenient grin
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by Bblak(f): 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2009
I'm comfortable driving with both cool
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by lysaa(f): 11:59am On Aug 13, 2009
wear comfy shoes and u're good to start off ur drive.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by ayde: 4:00pm On Aug 18, 2009
Siena:

Wrong, my sister.

Some lorry drivers are more comfortable driving long distance with their left foot resting on the dashboard, same goes for luxurious bus / coach drivers.
The fact they're more comfortable driving that way, doesn't make it safe, or right!

Where on earth did you get the idea that some lorry and luxurious bus drivers rest their left foot on the dash board while driving? is it even comfortable, lifting a leg on the dashboard and same time driving? you try it, Bros, just sofri sofri dey give us efizi abeg.

Siena:

I started driving in Nigeria when I was 11 (God forgive me!) and even then, I ALWAYS used sandals or slippers. This was in my dad's Volkswagen Igala, where the pedals are hinged from the floor end ,

Sorry to say, but that's a big LIE! How were u able to look through the wind shield with your legs touching the pedals at the same time? as you were not tall enough; for Christ's sake, you were only a child! Who would put a child behind the wheel to learn driving?
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by sweetcon: 2:37pm On Oct 08, 2009
Hi dear
How are you doing today? hope fine?. My name is Favour.I just came across your profile today @ nairaland.com. and after going through it l found you interesting hope you don't mind.If you feel like knowing more about me and for me to send you my picture,you can send me mail at (favour.12345@ymail.com) Hope to hear from you soon and remember that distance or colour doesn't matter but real love matters,have a nice day.
Yours in love Favour.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by chelseabmw(m): 2:23am On Sep 05, 2010
shoe of course
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by idk: 11:27pm On Nov 16, 2010
I have a heavy foot, so driving without shoes is better for me.
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by Phate07(m): 7:33am On Nov 30, 2010
Foot driving rules! cheesy
Re: Shoe Or Foot Driving Which One Is The Best ? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:06pm On Nov 30, 2010
foot driving is a no-no for me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! / Which Is Better For Uber/Taxify? Honda Accord Or Honda City? / Pretty Soon Electric Cars Will Cost Less Than Gasoline Driven Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.