Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,850 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M (76299 Views)

Oluwatunmise Idowu Solves 17 Maths Questions In 1 Minute / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 150-Year-Old The Riemann Hypothesis - Bbc World Service / Opeyemi Enoch Has NOT Solved The Riemann Hypothesis: Didnt Get Any $1M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by iconSAGE1(m): 8:39pm On Nov 15, 2015
Me and Maths be like..
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Malakh: 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2015
walexy30:

You use the internet invented by 'white dude" from mathematics, don"t you? If you don"t appreciate this, you don't belong to this planet.
does it make you wise?
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by NaijaHotGuy: 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2015
So far its only nigerian websites with this news. A problem is not considered to be solved until it has been peer reviewed. A problem of this nature takes years to solve and years or months to confirm the solution. Its on the same league with the abc conjecture which Shinichi Mochizuki, a japanese number theorist, has spent 20 years providing a solution to, which was later posted on his webpage - proof of which is still undergoing peer review since 2012.

Although a nigerian once claimed to have solved Fermat's Last Problem, peer review showed errors in his methods; It was later agreed Andrew Wiles method cracked the problem. But having a relook at it, i guess the problem is so difficult it will take something non western or oriental, something of perhaps a different environment, to be able to solve this one. Remember Soyinka and Literature in English.

If Opeyemis method is cool, nigeria will suddenly appear on the maths map of the world. All we can do now is to see how the world responds.

7 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2015
Shymm3x:

Isn't the Pastor, Oyedepo, from Kogi?

Why do they call him Yoruba pastor?

These emotional people are a menace, I tell ya. grin

Oyedepo is from Kwara.These romanis are just messed up
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by IlekeHD: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2015
Aigbofa:

They can only beat Yorubas in eating akpu, even that is not for sure.

lol Igbo people have no spirit of competition.

1. If a Yoruba is elected to high position [Kemi Adeosun], they start wailing.

2. If a Yoruba wins anything, they start wailing.

3. If a Yoruba is named the richest black woman in the word, they started wailing calling her a thief even though Ifeanyi Uba went the same route.

This recent culture of fear of competition is not healthy for the igbo nation.

10 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2015
Nicepoker:
kogi state na yoruba abi
Olodo like you. You think say na only South west Yoruba dey. Go learn more about your country.

4 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by lasisi69(f): 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2015
SmartMugu:

End time Bro Lasisi
smart, what's up
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by IlekeHD: 8:42pm On Nov 15, 2015
NaijaHotGuy:
So far its only nigerian websites with this news. A problem is not considered to be solved until it has been peer reviewed. A problem of this nature takes years to solve and years or months to confirm the solution. Its on the same league with the abc conjecture which Shinichi Mochizuki, a japanese number theorist, has spent 20 years providing a solution to, which was later posted on his webpage - proof of which is still undergoing peer review since 2012.

Although a nigerian once claimed to have solved Fermat's Last Problem, peer review showed errors in his methods; It was later agreed Andrew Wiles method cracked the problem. But having a relook at it, i guess the problem is so difficult it will take something non western or oriental, something of perhaps a different environment, to be able to solve this one. Remember Soyinka and Literature in English.

If Opeyemis method is cool, nigeria will suddenly appear on the maths map of the world. All we can do now is to see how the world responds.

If you expect a white nation to celebrate you, you're done for.

How many international newspapers celebrated Ufot Ekong?
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by omojeesu(m): 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2015
Great!

May Nigeria taps this man fully before he goes the way of all men!

Our history is replete with wasted human resources. May this not be one of them.
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by cornel00(m): 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2015
Ibebe:

I can bet Enoch's $1m that you're igbo.

You claim to be competitive in nature but when Yorubas out surpass you, you can't give a man credit. You start to dey insult.

You will kwench with this attitude of fear of competition.

am not only an Igbo but a proud one

now do you expect me to give credit to those insulting my tribe?? just as you can see here

what has igbos or biafrans has to do with this post??
rubbish!!!
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by princdebola201(m): 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2015
Omo oduduwa Lawa oo.. We no dey chest beat like some flat heads with kilo byte brain..

Before u ignorantly ask me Maybe kogi is in south west

Yorubas re the larget ethnic group in africa, u can find indigenous yoruba

In Sierra Leone

Ghana

Benin

Togo

Ivory Coast

Gambia

They have never deny their Root cos they re proud of it, unlike the Flats heads that. Have been rejected outrightly gringrin

The current president of benin republic is a yoruba Man
Bonny Yayigringrin

3 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by nightmile: 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2015
Igbo lecturers always waiting for female students in cheap hotels and male student in beer palours. No time for research always looking for egovin. If you want to know what egovin is pls ask any UNN's masters student.

3 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Kirinwa: 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2015
Yh* smiles while scratching head.

Am I the only one that read that 3 problems still remain unsolved with each attracting $1 million reward if solved?

Okay simple mathematics

3 problems solved by me hopefully x $1 million = $3 million

Okay.
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by 2prexios: 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2015
GREAT.
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2015
UncleJudax:
Smd...so lame! angry
Kin wa te min? undecided
UncleJudax:
Smd...so lame! angry

1 Like

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by IlekeHD: 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2015
cornel00:

am not only an Igbo but a proud one

now do you expect me to give credit to those insulting my tribe?? just as you can see here

what has igbos or biafrans has to do with this post??
rubbish!!!

As I thought. I expected Igbos to not have the spirit of sportsmanship. grin

Don't worry, you go kwench because more of this news is coming from the Yoruba nation.

5 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by damola1: 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2015

1 Like

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by IlekeHD: 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2015
princdebola201:
Omo oduduwa Lawa oo.. We no dey chest beat like some flat heads with kilo byte brain..

Before u ignorantly ask me Maybe kogi is in south west

Yorubas re the larget ethnic group in africa, u can find indigenous yoruba

In Sierra Leone

Ghana

Benin

Togo

Ivory Coast

Gambia

They have never deny their Root cos they re proud of it, unlike the Flats heads that. Have been rejected outrightly gringrin

The current president of benin republic is a yoruba Man
Bonny Yayi
gringrin

I know his nephew in the USA. That was the dude I thought was Yoruba for the longest time until he told me he was from Benin.

The dude speaks French and Yoruba like rice and beans.

1 Like

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Shymm3x: 8:47pm On Nov 15, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Oyedepo is from Kwara but these romanis are just messed up

Oh, okay. But if these folks don't know that there are tons of indigenous Yoruba folks in Kogi - then they will never know anything.

Anyway, Yorubas have always produced some of the greatest black mathematicians ever.

George Olatokunbo Okikiolu is arguably the greatest black mathematician ever and he has published more research papers on mathematics than any other black person in history. Ditto his daughter, Katherine Okikiolu.

Then you have the likes of: James Adedayo Oguntuase, Adebisi Agboola etc..

No competition here.

5 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by cornel00(m): 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2015
Aigbofa:

Can I be more confused or ignorant than a Nigerian who doesn't know there are Yorubas in Kogi state?

just as a Nigerian who doesn't know that there are igbos in Delta and Rivers

you guys are nothing but hypocrites

1 Like

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Stconvict(m): 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2015
This news is shady. Checked everywhere. Still no proper acknowledgement of the feat from foreign media.
All I see are Nigerian blogs claiming the same story, some even added their own version. I saw one claiming it was $1 billion. Another mentioned a totally different name.
Not trying to be tribalistic here but to Nicepoker and Aigbofa [if the story is true] U need to know that his name (Dr. Opeyemi Enoch) signifies that he is Yoruba or at least has a Yoruba parent.
And you need to also know that there are spread of Yoruba community in Kogi and in fact some parts of Togo and Benin, way before the colonial era. They still live there, but their culture is a little different from ours.

2 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Remii(m): 8:49pm On Nov 15, 2015
cornel00:

isn't that how you fools said that the Igbo speaking part of ND are not igbos

HYPOCRISY AT IT'S PEAK

#ihateindiofemmanuwithpassion

Yorubas from Kogi to Republic of Benin never disown each other, there are differences in dialects though, (Igbomina, Ijesa, Ife, Oyo, Ekiti, Akoko, Egba, Ibarapa, Oke Ogun, Ijebu, Remo, Awori, Yewa etc) but we all read and write one Yoruba - Oyo dialect is the closest to written Yoruba. In the East and South South, I have seen Kwale, Etche, Ogba, Ikwerre, all discussing with Ibos in similar language yet they claimed they are not Ibos.

Kogi is not in SW also SW is not 100% Yoruba, there are Ijaws, Akoko Edos in Ondo/Ekiti and Ogu (Eguns) in Lagos/Ogun States

3 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by IlekeHD: 8:50pm On Nov 15, 2015
I have another Yoruba friend from Togo.

She speaks Yoruba too...... grin grin grin Also has a Yoruba name.

I've yet to meet Yorubas from Gambia though, but I do see them on FB speaking Yoruba through a NLer's FB profile tongue

More about Yorubas in Gambia

http://yorubainthegambia..com/

http://yorubatribe..com/2008/08/yoruba-in-gambia.html

1 Like

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by breakeven: 8:50pm On Nov 15, 2015
This prof deserve immediate National Award but with all this almajaris in power,do they know the value of this award?
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by cornel00(m): 8:50pm On Nov 15, 2015
IlekeHD:

As I thought. I expected Igbos to not have the spirit of sportsmanship. grin

Don't worry, you go kwench because more of this news is coming from the Yoruba nation.

an 0femmanite has spoken; Dgrin

1 Like

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by cornel00(m): 8:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
nightmile:

Go and die joor or run away to Drogba's backyard like your coward hero Ojukwu. Am from Kogi and my ancestors are yoruba.

point of correction you are a slave nothing more nothing less
grin
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 15, 2015
Kennydoc:

You can't be too sure. He's a Kogite. Could be that his mum is Yoruba, and his dad from Kogi. Afterall, Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi is neither Yoruba nor Igbo.
Anyway, congrats to him.
So the Okuns in Kogi state are not Yorubas?

3 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 15, 2015
Shymm3x:

Oh, okay. But if these folks don't know that there are tons of indigenous Yoruba folks in Kogi - then they will never know anything.

Anyway, Yorubas have always produced some of the greatest black mathematicians ever.

George Olatokunbo Okikiolu is arguably the greatest black mathematician ever and he has published more research papers on mathematics than any other black person in history. Ditto his daughter, Katherine Okikiolu.

Then you have the likes of: James Adedayo Oguntuase, Adebisi Agboola etc..

No competition here.

You get time sef.You can't educate these mawffughs,you will surely lose.Trust me

There's too much Ignorance in that part of the country

An !dd!ot from that side once told us Russia comes to Aba to buy chinooks.One even said there's someone in Nnewi who's richer than dangote grin grin cheesy

Let me also add that Katherine is also the first black woman to publish an article in the annals of mathematics

2 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by IlekeHD: 8:54pm On Nov 15, 2015
You've got to love these ghost IDs....signing up from 2010 with 88 posts claiming that the news is shady.

Igbo people sha grin grin Desperation.
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2015
Nicepoker:
is kogi in south west?
you mumu o....

So because its not south west means there are no Yoruba's migrating there?

You think we are Igbos that claims everyone is Igbo even when they don't want to be ...?

2 Likes

Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2015
Kudos to him for putting up Nigeria on the world map.
Re: Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M by JUBILEE2000: 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2015
fineguy11:
Congrats to him...when it come to education,,i respect the yorubas,they're simple outstanding...

u can't stand some of them when speak English shaa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

UNIABUJA Students Present Seminar Paper In Nude / UNILAG Introduces Dress Code For Students (Pictured) / Maritime Academy Of Nigeria's Application Form Is Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.