Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,930 members, 7,845,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment (16263 Views)

SIM Fine: MTN Pays N165bn Out Of N330bn – NCC / We Have Paid N80 Billion Out Of N300 Billion Fine – MTN Nigeria / N1.04tn Fine: MTN Seeks Out Of Court Settlement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by rman: 10:51am On Nov 16, 2015
menix:

So u re saying Volkswagen will not pay the $18 billion fine in America..

Deutsche bank paid $55 million to America..
Make una dey write with brain oo..

55 Million dollars is not 5 Billion dollars with a little common sense, I expect u to figure that out. ...read and understand!

And which 18 Billion fine are u talking about concerning Volks in America? Even if that were true, was 18 billion paid in one swoop like buying pepper...na u suppose use your advice and use your BRAIN. Stop displaying your abysmal ignorance for public knowledge.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 16, 2015
The money is just too much,they should pls reduce it

I kinda feel pity for mtn sha even though i have changed to etisalat embarassed
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by wiseoneking: 11:00am On Nov 16, 2015
Adesiji77:
MTN has asked Nigeria for a plan to allow it to stagger the payment of a $5.2bn (N1.04tn) fine as the deadline for the payment expires today (Monday) , a source at the Nigerian Communications Commission said on Sunday.

The source added that the government was considering the request, made at a meeting on Friday between MTN and high-level government officials, and that the decision would be disclosed on Monday.

Authoritative sources told one of our correspondents on Sunday that the Federal Government at a meeting with MTN officials on Friday night rejected pleas by the mobile company to have the fine slashed. It was learnt that the Federal Government insisted that the rule should be followed since the rule that was contravened was clear.

Failing to obtain a reduction, MTN officials were said to have asked to have the payment staggered over a period of two years. By the end of the meeting on Friday, the proposal had not been accepted.

However, it was learnt that there were would be another round of meeting on Sunday night to resolve the knotty issue.

If the Sunday night meeting resolved the issues, the Federal Government may speak on the matter within two days, it was gathered. Since the imbroglio, neither NCC nor the Federal Government has officially spoken on the matter.

The NCC slapped the fine on MTN last month for its failure to cut off 5.2 million unregistered SIM cards.

MTN spokesman Chris Maroleng said, “We are waiting for authorities to come back to us”.

Nigeria has been pushing telecommunication operators to verify the identity of subscribers due to concerns that unregistered SIM cards are being used for criminal activity or even by Boko Haram militants waging an Islamist insurgency in the northeast.

“At the meeting, MTN pleaded passionately for staggered payment since the option of reduction of the fine had been ruled out,” the NCC source told Reuters.

However, a source familiar with the discussions said that an eleventh hour reduction of the fine could still be possible.

“Until the final announcement is made, there may be some room for manoeuvre,” the source familiar with the situation said.

Spokesmen for Presidency and communications ministry declined to comment.

The fine – if fully enforced – amounts to more than the past two years’ profit for the MTN in its biggest market. The new Minister of Cmmunications, Adebayo Shittu, told Reuters on Friday the government did not want the MTN “to die” or shut down operations as a result of the penalty.

The fine is based on $1,000 per outstanding unregistered SIM card, as stipulated by Nigerian telecommunications laws.

Nigeria accounts for 37 per cent of revenues for MTN, which operates in more than 20 countries in Africa and the Middle East. Since the announcement of the fine, its shares have lost nearly 25 per cent of their value.

http://punchng.com/n1-04tn-fine-mtn-pleads-for-staggered-payment/ lalasticlala
though they broke the NCC rule, nigeria have been to jelaous and envious of mtn because it is SA company. Our lazyness has made them to set up shoprite every where. Was it last the people of ibadan was celebrating of the coming of shoprite in the city and were even boasting it is the largest.We condem them of xenophobia but in Nigeria we have igbophobia(fear of igbo domination). We are worst than SA. We want mtn to leave Nigeria yet more than 55% of Nigerian subscriber still uses them despite all other lines that we do claim ignorantly that they are doing better. There is no big deal in allowing to stagger the payment. Nigerians are trouping into their country like bees. Mr change is around now, and our eyes are seeing the change. Lol
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by menix(m): 11:01am On Nov 16, 2015
rman:

55 Million dollars is not 5 Billion dollars with a little common sense, I expect u to figure that out. ...read and understand!

And which 18 Billion fine are u talking about concerning Volks in America? Even if that were true, was 18 billion paid in one swoop like buying pepper...na u suppose use your advice and use your BRAIN. Stop displaying your abysmal ignorance for public knowledge.

Why re u sounding like a tadpole

Ur fluid brain came up with no company will pay such fine to another country..

If u reasonable enough, u would ve used google to check out the 10 top fines.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by rman: 11:04am On Nov 16, 2015
And for those displaying ignorance writing xenophobia, Nigerians are the ones working in mtn Nigeria not South Africans...

have u all wondered why this happened when Nigerians are fully in charge?

Will a foreign CEO and management handle the situation better?

the biggest shareholders in MTN are not South Africans...

Let's all do a little research and comment with higher emotional IQ..if FG kills mtn Nigeria, we kill ourselves.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by rman: 11:07am On Nov 16, 2015
menix:

Top 10 fines paid in one swoop...use goole has replaced your common sense...my question is, were those fines paid in one transaction?
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by rman: 11:07am On Nov 16, 2015
menix:

Top 10 fines paid in one swoop...u see google has replaced your common sense...my question is, were those fines paid in one transaction?

When they say Nigerians youths are unemployable, they shout it is a lie...see how an educated person think billion is just what u will wire into and account like in the movies. Smh.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by rman: 11:08am On Nov 16, 2015
menix:

Top 10 fines paid in one swoop...use goole has replaced your common sense...my question is, were those fines paid in one transaction?

When they say Nigerians youths are unemployable, they shout it is a lie...see how an educated person think billion dollars is just what u will wire into an account like in the movies. Smh.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Excellent7(m): 11:09am On Nov 16, 2015
odeotito:

Whether or not deliberate you missed the point on this.The issue is not about the worth of companies in Nigeria. It is about sound corporate governance which add value to companies so they can be, in the long run, worth n1.04 trillion and more. A company with scant regard for regulatory compliance is not worth a market as large, strategic and representative as ours. Secondly, how long it will take for MTN to recover after paying the fine is not the business of the regulator but MTN's whose watch it is to avoid corporate rascality the likes of which attracts such sanction. Business is not about sentiments but about being busy doing business in a manner that is businesslike - investors understand this which is why its shares are now becoming unattractive. Thirdly, a code of the regulator MTN was ab initio aware of cannot be said to be ridiculous and unrealistic now that it is in breach of same. To say so is preposterous. Fourthly, to say the sanction is calculated to witchunt MTN out of Nigeria flies in the face of the reasonable especially because MTN had long before now being known for serially disobeying the regulator who failed to act as appropriate because the government in place overtime was incompetent. MTN should pay up or forfeit its license and sell to the likes of Strive Masiyiwa who will treat us in a dignified manner by obeying the regulator. Clearly MTN is a corporate rascal - it just got fined sh5billion in Uganda for sending unsolicited SMS! Till date it does so in Nigeria without a fine.

I agree with you that MTN has been acting with impunity.
They should find the money and pay till the last kobo.
I will be very disappointed with the Nigerian government if they do not follow through on this.
MTN did the crime let them pay the fine!
You do not come to a country and do business anyhow without respect for laws, for customers and for national security.
This is not the first time a corporate entity has been fined, and will not be the last. Ask BP in US how much they were fined in USA for the oil leak, not to talk of the amount they were forced to pay fishermen etc. and for clean up. You will also see how much fine VW will be paying in different countries for the emission scandal. Even in Uganda MTN will be paying sh5billion in Uganda for sending unsolicited SMS. This shows they have not been good corporate citizens! There is even the chatter of how they have neen moving funds around to perhaps "dodge" taxes.
Instead of all this nonsense people are talking, I think we should be standing behind our government to send a signal that we expect companies to abide by rules in doing business. I use this opportunity to call on SON or the concerned government agency to look into the case of rampant industrial accidents involving amputations of workers' limbs by companies using equipment without safety guards in place or disconnected.
The way some corporate citizens behave in Nigeria they can not try half of it in their home country(ies).

caveat: I have had a dose of MTN ill-treatment. The line I bought about 10 years ago for thousands of Naira was blocked by MTN without any warning despite the good credit balance on it, and against the rule of waiting for a period recycled sharp sharp and thus causing my sensitive information to be sent to the new customer they sold the line to. Unfortunately, until next year I am seriously engaged outside the country, but hope to dig it with them. In the meantime I have stopped using their services or calling anybody with their lines if their is an alternative network number for that contact. I have also encouraged family and friends to communicate with me with other networks. You do not treat me badly and I continue patronizing you, not when there are alternatives.

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by menix(m): 11:14am On Nov 16, 2015
rman:

When they say Nigerians youths are unemployable, they shout it is a lie...see how an educated person think billion dollars is just what u will wire into an account like in the movies. Smh.

Watz this Ediot arguing about..

Pls for god of brain sake, why did I quote u 1st?

Dude I quoted you cous u said no company will pay such fine to another country, now u re arguing about something totally different..

Pls can I see where I told u they must pay it at once..

Guy, u sound like one dude that is being owed 3 month salary..

Kindly enrol for PAP program pls..
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by rman: 11:20am On Nov 16, 2015
menix:

Watz this Ediot arguing about..

Pls for god of brain sake, why did I quote u 1st?

Dude I quoted you cous u said no company will pay such fine to another country, now u re arguing about something totally different..

Pls can I see where I told u they must pay it at once..

Guy, u sound like one dude that is being owed 3 month salary..

Kindly enrol for PAP program pls..

You see, I can deduce your level of reasoning and success in life by how u write...take your own advice. I don't think u will dare look me in the face if u know me in real life..have a nice day.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by NAIRAMIND: 11:29am On Nov 16, 2015
Thank God I don't make my money in Naira but Dollars.
If not MTN for don run me down since 1800BC
Make them no bribe the minister of communications oo.
Any way,his salary will always be in Naira while my humble self(his Boss) earn in Dollars. Pls don't jealous me but join in the earnings.
Everywhere You Go! Pls pay your fines Or.....
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by menix(m): 11:30am On Nov 16, 2015
rman:

You see, I can deduce your level of reasoning and success in life by how u write...take your own advice. I don't think u will dare look me in the face if u know me in real life..have a nice day.

Hahahahahahahaha...

Expression of a hungry dude..

Best of the day sir.....
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by DonBobes(m): 12:58pm On Nov 16, 2015
lonelydora:

Yes now, i remember. Officer, shun Sir. Respect. God bless NA
ok, thnx.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Basildvalour(m): 1:15pm On Nov 16, 2015
ziqzaq:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!
1.04trillion Naira! Thats 999million + 1.04million if am right 'cause my maths sucks.
MTN deserve it to some extent tho, but on anotherhand, its more like Nigeria vs S.A rivalry to me.
And if we're to think ahead, wheres all those money going to?
Who's pocket or account?
Cos after it has been paid now, it'd be silence everywhere.
I so dread that the rich would get richer with it and the poor MTN users would be used to generate that back.
Smh.
*oddthoughts
No, you are wrong. That only gives you 1.04billion and not trillion. Do that again for the billions and you will get what MTN owes grin

But that cash can change destinies
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by ncoolsome(m): 1:39pm On Nov 16, 2015
mrpablo:
ur math really sucks. Its 999billion + 1.4billion not million

Pot calling kettle black....its 999 billion + 1.04 billion...lol
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 16, 2015
Be a good citizen, be a good corporate citizen, be Tax Compliant, save money, avoid penalties, Hire a Professional, PM me.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by dwesternmall: 4:43pm On Nov 16, 2015
Westernmall Nigeria Ltd is still hiring.

Westernmall Nigeria Ltd is an online store looking to take over the Nigerian market and offer customers better options in terms of shopping.

We are presently recruiting field sales representatives (Genies)... The Starting pay is 40k and attracts handsome commissions for more sales(more details later)
Our office is at Alausa shopping mall, Obafemi Awolowo way, ikeja. Lagos.
Thus you must be Lagos based to work with us as you will report to the office on a daily/weekly basis.

interested candidates should send their CV's to careers@westernmall.co.uk
or go to http://www.westernmall.co.uk/Home/Careers to apply

Make the Subject of the email: GENIE!!!
More details will be provided to you via email
Tell a friend.

Regards
Westernmall
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by charlesucheh(m): 6:55pm On Nov 16, 2015
[color=#990000][/color]
jice:

[size=18pt]Have you considered that Etisalat might not have the capacity to carry the overload?[/size]
jice:

[b][size=18pt]Have you considered that Etisalat might not have the capacity to carry the overload?[/size]
[/b]
jice:

[size=18pt]Have you considered that Etisalat might not have the capacity to carry the overload?[/size]
BRUV, It's wouldn't be a necessity for everybody to port to ETISALaT, that's why we have GLO and AIRTEL. They would be very proud to relief etisalat of the said "OVERLOAD"!.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Raphael13(m): 10:29pm On Nov 16, 2015
There is a drop in crude price so PMB is looking for 2016 budget.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro Officially Launched - Full Specification And Price / Glo 4G LTE Speed Test / Screenshot And Post Your Data Usage In The Month Of December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.