Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,601 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda (31379 Views)

MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine / MTN Nigeria Fine Increased To $3.9 Billion After Regulator Error / NCC Should Get Ready To Slam MTN Nigeria Another Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Demmocrats(m): 10:56pm On Nov 18, 2015
The commercial court has ordered telecoms giant MTN Uganda to pay the sum of Shs 2.3 billion (about $662,000) in damages to EzeeMoney Limited for sabotaging its business.

Justice Henry Peter Adonyo on November 6, 2015 also ordered MTN to stop acting in an unlawful and anti-competitive manner, which denies other businesses an opportunity to prosper.

Justice Adonyo said MTN should pay Shs 800 million to EzeeMoney in general damages for loss of business. It should also pay a penalty of Shs 1.5 billion in punitive damages to deter not only MTN but also warn other companies against uncompetitive business tactics, reported NAN/Reuters in a joint report on Wednesday.

It all started when EzeeMoney, which runs an e-money business, obtained a contract from MTN for the provision of digital transmission [E1] and 30 fixed telephone lines to carry out its mobile money business.

EzeeMoney then contracted Yo! Uganda Limited (YUL) to implement the service after Uganda Communications Commission, the regulator, approved it on December 2012, to use the 7711 short code to enable its customers to subscribe for e-money services.

But in 2013, MTN cancelled the contract, saying EzeeMoney was a direct competitor to its mobile money business. Through AF Mpanga and company advocates, EzeeMoney went to court, saying MTN’s action “restricted and distorted competition”.

EzeeMoney said MTN also damaged its ties with YUL and deprived it of services of other telecommunications operators. It argued that MTN used its exclusivity agreements to stop its agents from working for any other firm with similar business, further limiting competition.

In a January 28, 2013 letter to EzeeMoney, MTN appeared to say its business would be disrupted if the former was given access to its platform.

“EzeeMoney is in direct competition with MTN in the provision of mobile money,” read the letter in part.

Justice Adonyo said the letter confirmed that MTN was stopping services of the company because it considered it a competitor.

“It is testified that when YUL required the defendant (MTN) to activate the plaintiff’s (EzeeMoney) short code on its platform, the defendant declined to do so on the basis that the plaintiff was in direct competition with it,” the judge observed.

“YUL then seeing that the plaintiff couldn’t carry out the business they had agreed together, by a letter dated 7/2/2013, did terminate all services with the plaintiff as YUL did not want to jeopardize its relationship with the defendant.”

The judge also found that MTN coerced its agents to reject EzeeMoney. One witness, Sammy Mwathi, told the court that he was an MTN money agent and he was restricted from dealing with other firms in the same business by signing exclusivity agreement.

The ruling in Uganda came at a time when MTN Group has just suffered a $5.2 billion fine in Nigeria after it failed to disconnect unregistered lines.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/more-troubles-for-mtn-as-uganda-fines-telco-622-000/226059/

3 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Demmocrats(m): 10:56pm On Nov 18, 2015
Karma is really a bitvh.

What goes around comes around.

http://twitter.com/lingeriecity

33 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 18, 2015
Bye bye to MTN in Africa cheesy cheesy cheesy

14 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by yomi007k(m): 10:58pm On Nov 18, 2015
Scammers will always crash n burn...

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by SosaMontana(m): 11:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Acidosis(m): 11:08pm On Nov 18, 2015
Now this fine is ideal and decent.

Unlike the greedy NCC

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 18, 2015
Patronise genuine professionals, be Tax Compliant, PM or Call Me.
Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 18, 2015
Acidosis:
Now this fine is ideal and decent.

Unlike the greedy NCC
Did you read the article? Do you understand why they have been fined? Did you understand the nature of the offence? Is it similar to the one for which they received a fine in Nigeria?

Do you know they signed an agreement with NCC, and the fine wasn't arbitrary? Ignorance isn't a crime.

179 Likes 6 Shares

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by braine(m): 11:13pm On Nov 18, 2015
MTN can't seem to stay out of trouble. They need to fire their legal advisory team.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Zeedarh(f): 11:17pm On Nov 18, 2015
Happy for them.
I've always trusted God to judge on my behalf grin. Last week, these same people came to our campus for MTNinvasion show (most boring show i ever witnessed). I was in the crowd jejely watching when the MC invited me over to their ugly looking 'pako' stage to come and pick ticket from the raffle box for someone to win one phone like that. In my mind, i was like 'chai, i go see something collect from MTN' not knowing i was in a 'jonzing' world. After picking about four missing winners and tearing their tickets, i finally picked a lucky and available winner. When the guy came, it was as if i was inexistent; not even a 'thank you' from anybody. I just use style leave stage in shame undecided undecided undecided

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by chris4gold(m): 11:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
mtn mtn mtn...? how many time do I call u? buy 7fx35, 7 gl4matic 7,lambogini with 70000000 British pound bring all to my house. you need a sacrifice

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by 4Kemzy(m): 11:20pm On Nov 18, 2015
Mtn una own don 'bizu," make una do small small return d 'tachere" wen una dey thief from me give govt.
Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Aromas: 11:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
The moment you think you're wiser than others. Always remember the law of karma

4 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Pavore9: 11:24pm On Nov 18, 2015
MTN, trouble everywhere you go!

12 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Datsme: 11:28pm On Nov 18, 2015
E con be like - Mtn is being forced to vomit all the unjust wealth it has accrued @ any cost. Una remember dt very time when a sim goes for as high as 30k+. No sympathy for dem

3 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Acidosis(m): 11:30pm On Nov 18, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Did you read the article? Do you understand why they have been fined? Did you understand the nature of the offence? Is it similar to the one for which they received a fine in Nigeria?

Do you know they signed an agreement with NCC, and the fine wasn't arbitrary? Ignorance isn't a crime.
Story

It doesn't change the fact that NCC, like the typical Nigerian, is greedy. Always wanting to reap sharp money through back-door.

I really don't care about the agreement. The prevalent body language of y'all shows ALL we want is the fall and death of MTN because the firm is headquartered in South Africa.

Firms all over the world face sanctions. Apple, Samsung, Gucci, Absolut, just name it, but we hardly see people celebrating such actions. I mean people that will benefit ZERO naira from the outrageous fine.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Nobody: 11:32pm On Nov 18, 2015
Acidosis:

It doesn't change the fact that NCC, like the typical Nigerian, is greedy
This level of ignorance should be a federal crime.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Csami(m): 11:35pm On Nov 18, 2015
Wow! So karma is really a fvcking b!tch?

MTN, I feel for you. I really really feel for you. I seriously feel for you but you must pay both fine.

5 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by ki02020(m): 11:35pm On Nov 18, 2015
This is what I call the down side of a business...MTN legal team not doing a good job at all angry
Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by estherdim: 11:35pm On Nov 18, 2015
End Time Mtn chai

At a Give away price, Get your Festina gold Watch, Timberland Boot, Nike,Emporio Armani, Casio Edifice,Diesel watch, Smart watches Et all, click here https://www.nairaland.com/2746620/give-away-price-emporio-armani or visit link at signature below

1 Like

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by abiolasogey(m): 11:46pm On Nov 18, 2015
Too long,,Didnt bother to read,,end tym network
Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Acidosis(m): 11:47pm On Nov 18, 2015
Datsme:
E con be like - Mtn is being forced to vomit all the unjust wealth it has accrued @ any cost. Una remember dt very time when a sim goes for as high as 30k+. No sympathy for dem

This is WHY Business Education must be properly enforced on all Nigerian students.

There is something they call PESTEL, & 5 Porter's forces in Business/Marketing. There is something they call Relational Capital, Employee capital and supplier capital in entrepreneurship.

Do you know the cost of fibres, and other telecommunication materials when sim cards were sold for N30,000?

Do you know the weight of political forces and legal issues alongside the associated costs 10 years ago?

Why aren't you CASTIGATING NOKIA for selling you a PKALASA phone at N40,000 some 8years ago?

Why MTN?

When they tell people like you to attend business and entrepreneurship classes, you wouldn't go, but you'd sit back eyeing the CEO position in SHELL & AGIP. These are issues mere common sense should solve without quoting some complex business models and consumer theories.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Cpumping(m): 11:52pm On Nov 18, 2015
pls wen is Ntel coming out, shey dey will sell 5gb for 200 naira

4 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Nobody: 1:34am On Nov 19, 2015
MTN reaping what dem sow.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by Feranchek(m): 4:48am On Nov 19, 2015
E don red for these guys o0o0!
Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by miqos02(m): 5:19am On Nov 19, 2015
ok
Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by phlemzy: 5:54am On Nov 19, 2015
This must be be a good business year for our dear MTN. The greediest network in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by LordMecuzy(m): 6:00am On Nov 19, 2015
Acidosis:

This is WHY Business Education must be properly enforced on all Nigerian students.

There is something they call PESTEL, & 5 Porter's forces in Business/Marketing. There is something they call Relational Capital, Employee capital and supplier capital in entrepreneurship.

Do you know the cost of fibres, and other telecommunication materials when sim cards were sold for N30,000?

Do you know the weight of political forces and legal issues alongside the associated costs 10 years ago?

Why aren't you CASTIGATING NOKIA for selling you a PKALASA phone at N40,000 some 8years ago?

Why MTN?

When they tell people like you to attend business and entrepreneurship classes, you wouldn't go, but you'd sit back eyeing the CEO position in SHELL & AGIP. These are issues mere common sense should solve without quoting some complex business models and consumer theories.

Bros abeg stop all this stunts and long grammar plsss..Abeg...

20 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by rman: 6:53am On Nov 19, 2015
Acidosis:

Why MTN?

Thank you. On this MTN issue, I noticed your posts and mine are always in agreement. Don't mind the ignorant folks with herd mentality...

So far everyone is hating, let me join too. No common sense to analyse issues. And they wonder why they are unemployed or not in leadership positions.

3 Likes

Re: MTN Hit By Another Fine In Uganda by lmm4real: 7:01am On Nov 19, 2015
Hummm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Six(6) Budget Friendly Tecno Phantom 5 Alternatives. / Samsung Leads In 5G Smartphones In Q1 2020 / Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Reviews | Discussion Board - The Transformer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.