Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,210 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work (44479 Views)

Best Companies To Work For In Nigeria In 2018 - Jobberman / A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:04am On Nov 20, 2015
I think cameroon should not be on that list cos their men and women barely stay in marriage. Most of their women are single or single mothers and so do not need work permit from husbands they never had.
Even here in Nigeria, husbands steal take permission from their husbands to work. Many men wud like to choose jobs for their wives and sometimes want them to do business instead of working for fear of other men.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 20, 2015
MISSCONGENIALITY:
I think cameroon should not be on that list cos their men and women barely stay in marriage. Most of their women are single or single mothers and so do not need work permit from husbands they never had.
Even here in Nigeria, husbands steal take permission from their husbands to work. Many men wud like to choose jobs for their wives and sometimes want them to do business instead of working for fear of other men.

"husbands steal take permission from their husbands to work "
Its too early to be tipsy, so as at the time of making this comment where you giving or receiving head
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:26am On Nov 20, 2015
Larryfly:

"husbands steal take permission from their husbands to work "
Its too early to be tipsy, so as at the time of making this comment where you giving or receiving head
was receiving a head. And now I'm back and I've just realized that u r correct. Husbands take permission from their wives to work and these husbands will slap the madness out of their wives if they dare complain about their husband's choice of work. They will tell their wive's to park and go if they are not happy with their job even if its robbery

1 Like

Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by omojeesu(m): 9:33am On Nov 20, 2015
McBrooklyn:
Two Possibilities Exist: Either We Are Alone In The Universe Or We Are Not. Both Are Equally Terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

And BTW, What's Up With This Oyinbo And Africa Now . . . Africa This, Africa That angry

We are not alone!

All that can be sensed is not all there is.

Other beings exist in other unknown 'nonphysical' spheres / space and operate at relatively extremely high frequencies / vibrations. They are super and supra natural. They are in touch directly with some of us earthlings - adepts and avatars.

All cultures and religions attest to this.

Jesus is Lord!
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Lilswaghanxum(m): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2015
End time oooooh
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Craven: 10:06am On Nov 20, 2015
missKiffy HaneefahRN

I agree that it is backwards for a woman to still ask for permission from her husband to work. This is the 21st century; everyone has rights to explore their dreams and be whatever they wish to be. And it isn't right for the possibility of a woman's dreams to come true to be dependent on her husband. Because what then is her life's purpose? Why is she alive of she can't truly 'live'?

Women have moved from a time when their opinions were irrelevant to a time where they can truly change the world. But when their dreams to become great is dependent on their husbands, then there is a real problem.

Marriage shouldn't be a boss-employee relationship. It should be more of two teammates working to improve each other. Notice I didn't say 'one person'? Because marriage is a two-way street. While a wife should encourage her husband to be the best he can be, a husband should also encourage his wife to be the best she can be, not just in her marriage, but in the career she chooses to pursue. He should encourage her to pose as a good example for his children, his sons and his daughters; so that they too can look at their mother and be proud that she is good at something other than homemaking; so that while their peers are bragging about their mother's cooking skills, they can chime in and yell 'My mother isn't just a great cook, she saves lives for a living; she's a surgeon!'

But how can we achieve this if we believe a woman can do nothing without her husbands permission? No woman is any man's slave. It's her husbands role to advice her the way she advices him, and not to 'dictate' to her. It's is a marriage after all, not a tyranny. The purpose of marriage is to help each other grow, not to hold the key to the other person's growth in a locker and have them come to you for permission to access it.

By now you should know where I stand; I am all for gender equality. I do not believe the male gender is superior to the female gender. And I do not believe the female gender is inferior to the male gender. We all have the same access to life in this world, and we all have the opportunity to explore it in our own way. And I do not believe anyone, male or female, requires permission from another person to explore life the way they choose.

I try not to use religion to back up my arguments because religion is different all around the world, and you cannot use one religion to dictate how people around the world (who have different beliefs) should live their lives, but there is a part in the Bible that states, 'there is neither male nor female, for you are all equal in Christ' (Galatians 3:28). The Bible is contradictory, I know, but the verse clearly illustrates my point; we shouldn't encourage women to feel lesser then men (asking for permission to explore your dreams speaks of nothing but inferiority), we should encourage them to be the best that they can be as career women, as mothers, as wives, as political figures. It's okay if a woman choses to be a housewife; the whole point of Feminism is that a woman expresses her right to choose, so I don't judge. But if a woman wishes to go the extra mile, it's her decision and no one should take that away from her. One thing people regret on their deathbed is that they never got to live life the way they wanted. It's unfair to subject women to this fate.

Besides, if a woman is destined to be great, what husband can say no? What 'permission' will stand in her way? Her husband's? Absolutely not.

1 Like

Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by mosjames: 11:14am On Nov 20, 2015
Haha.. who will then provide for the family?
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Nobody: 11:54am On Nov 20, 2015
dammytosh:
Why is Nigeria not there ?

Or your wife will take any job without ur permission and consent ?

Yup.. and there is nothing you can do really.

There is no such law in the Nigerian Constitution
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by dammytosh: 12:02pm On Nov 20, 2015
coolsix:

Yup.. and there is nothing you can do really.

There is no such law in the Nigerian Constitution

Any husband that does not have a say in the kind of job the wife can do is not the bread winner and I am sorry for such person.

There are laws in marriage outside the consitution of Nigeria.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 20, 2015
dammytosh:

Any husband that does not have a say in the kind of job the wife can do is not the bread winner and I am sorry for such person.

There are laws in marriage outside the consitution of Nigeria.

Seeking the husband's opinion in obtaining a job is different from seeking the husband's permission. Marriage is a relationship between two persons not "Master & Slave" or "King & Subject"

So, again, what matters is the Constitution of the Federal Republic not any marriage belief or law(Who made the marriage law?).

Thanks
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by dammytosh: 12:09pm On Nov 20, 2015
coolsix:

Seeking the husband's opinion in obtaining a job is different from seeking the husband's permission. Marriage is a relationship between two persons not "Master & Slave" or "King & Subject"

So, again, what matters is the Constitution of the Federal Republic not any marriage belief or law(Who made the marriage law?).

Thanks

In my case, you seek both opinion and permission to take up any job.

I weight if it will impact the family and decide the "go" or "no go" part.

That is my personal opinion, any other person can allow his wife take a job in a beer parlour or as hotel attendant in the spirit of equallity, that is what works for them too.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by HaneefahRN(f): 12:14pm On Nov 20, 2015
Craven:
missKiffy HaneefahRN

I agree that it is backwards for a woman to still ask for permission from her husband to work. This is the 21st century; everyone has rights to explore their dreams and be whatever they wish to be. And it isn't right for the possibility of a woman's dreams to come true to be dependent on her husband. Because what then is her life's purpose? Why is she alive of she can't truly 'live'?

Women have moved from a time when their opinions were irrelevant to a time where they can truly change the world. But when their dreams to become great is dependent on their husbands, then there is a real problem.

Marriage shouldn't be a boss-employee relationship. It should be more of two teammates working to improve each other. Notice I didn't say 'one person'? Because marriage is a two-way street. While a wife should encourage her husband to be the best he can be, a husband should also encourage his wife to be the best she can be, not just in her marriage, but in the career she chooses to pursue. He should encourage her to pose as a good example for his children, his sons and his daughters; so that they too can look at their mother and be proud that she is good at something other than homemaking; so that while their peers are bragging about their mother's cooking skills, they can chime in and yell 'My mother isn't just a great cook, she saves lives for a living; she's a surgeon!'

But how can we achieve this if we believe a woman can do nothing without her husbands permission? No woman is any man's slave. It's her husbands role to advice her the way she advices him, and not to 'dictate' to her. It's is a marriage after all, not a tyranny. The purpose of marriage is to help each other grow, not to hold the key to the other person's growth in a locker and have them come to you for permission to access it.

By now you should know where I stand; I am all for gender equality. I do not believe the male gender is superior to the female gender. And I do not believe the female gender is inferior to the male gender. We all have the same access to life in this world, and we all have the opportunity to explore it in our own way. And I do not believe anyone, male or female, requires permission from another person to explore life the way they choose.

I try not to use religion to back up my arguments because religion is different all around the world, and you cannot use one religion to dictate how people around the world (who have different beliefs) should live their lives, but there is a part in the Bible that states, 'there is neither male nor female, for you are all equal in Christ' (Galatians 3:28). The Bible is contradictory, I know, but the verse clearly illustrates my point; we shouldn't encourage women to feel lesser then men (asking for permission to explore your dreams speaks of nothing but inferiority), we should encourage them to be the best that they can be as career women, as mothers, as wives, as political figures. It's okay if a woman choses to be a housewife; the whole point of Feminism is that a woman expresses her right to choose, so I don't judge. But if a woman wishes to go the extra mile, it's her decision and no one should take that away from her. One thing people regret on their deathbed is that they never got to live life the way they wanted. It's unfair to subject women to this fate.

Besides, if a woman is destined to be great, what husband can say no? What 'permission' will stand in her way? Her husband's? Absolutely not.
Nice and intelligent post. I actually replied Misskiffy cos of the term backward she used and her relating it to Islam. In Islam there is no aayah in the Quran and no part of the hadith where a woman working is prohibited. She has her freewill to work if she pleases and not to if she wishes, she can't be forced to work neither can she be forced not to, if she wills. As long as the job is halal, no problem. What I supported is the woman informing her husband and seeking his consent before taking up a job, of course the husband has no right to deny her of this. Women are encouraged to be Drs, nurses, teachers, whatever profession that will not involve lack of modesty and is halal.
Men and women are equal b4 God, and in the Quran it is said 'that ur wives are a garment to u, and u a garment to them', the husband and wife are expected to co-habit as partners in love.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by HaneefahRN(f): 12:35pm On Nov 20, 2015
missKiffy:

My own view is that seeking her husbands permission b4 taking a job or before being allowed to work is absurd because this means whatever the husband says is final, irrespective of whether the job will enable her grow career wise. Seeking the husbands permission is a different thing entirely, as opposed to a situation whereby you and your husband can converse, communicate, you know talk about it and come to a reasonable agreement, but in this case the husbands decision stands, irrespective of whether he sought her opinion or not, and he mite even refuse her working for his own selfish reasons.
Your last words av said it all. U related it to Islam, that was why I answered u. It is more of the culture of those pple than religion.
Becos there is no part of the Quran or hadith where the woman is prohibited from working if she so wills, so why shld the man stand in her way? As long as the job is halal and will not involve immorality and lack of modesty the woman is allowed to work. The woman can decide to work and decide not to. If she decides to and the work doesn't fall out of halal means, no qualms, and if she decides not to the man can't force her.
What I meant with my statement as regards permission, is that the woman has to inform her husband and involve him wt her plans at job quest. I see no big deal abt this.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by luggy(m): 1:56pm On Nov 20, 2015
and also NORTHERN NIGERIA
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Craven: 2:24pm On Nov 20, 2015
HaneefahRN:

Nice and intelligent post. I actually replied Misskiffy cos of the term backward she used and her relating it to Islam. In Islam there is no aayah in the Quran and no part of the hadith where a woman working is prohibited. She has her freewill to work if she pleases and not to if she wishes, she can't be forced to work neither can she be forced not to, if she wills. As long as the job is halal, no problem. What I supported is the woman informing her husband and seeking his consent before taking up a job, of course the husband has no right to deny her of this. Women are encouraged to be Drs, nurses, teachers, whatever profession that will not involve lack of modesty and is halal.
Men and women are equal b4 God, and in the Quran it is said 'that ur wives are a garment to u, and u a garment to them', the husband and wife are expected to co-habit as partners in love.

I do understand where you are coming from, and I respect your views. The issue of modesty is another thing entirely. I do not think any sane wife will involve herself in any job that is indecent. People are different; while some women are indecent, others are modest. And if your wife will take an indecent job (and this is in response to dammytosh - who seem to think any woman who understands her rights and how to express them will definitely end up a prostitute), then perhaps you did not pick the right person to marry in the first place.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by dammytosh: 2:29pm On Nov 20, 2015
Craven:

I do understand where you are coming from, and I respect your views. The issue of modesty is another thing entirely. I do not think any sane wife will involve herself in any job that is indecent. People are different; while some women are indecent, others are modest. And if your wife will take an indecent job (and this is in response to dammytosh - who seem to think any woman who understands her rights and how to express them will definitely end up a prostitute), then perhaps you did not pick the right person to marry in the first place.

See conclusion !! shocked shocked

Your comprehension skill is very questionable.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by 2dillu2(m): 2:31pm On Nov 20, 2015
End time comment undecided
broxymall:
End Time country
At a Give away price, Get your Festina gold Watch, Timberland Boot, Nike,Emporio Armani, Casio Edifice,Diesel watch, Smart watches Et all,visit link at signature below
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Craven: 2:47pm On Nov 20, 2015
dammytosh:

See conclusion !! shocked shocked

Your comprehension skill is very questionable.

But it is your words that led me to that conclusion. According to you, the wife of any man who understands and expresses gender equality will definitely end up in a beer parlor. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but you did try to paint gender equality as a factor that leads women into making wrong decisions. And in a way, you made it seem like women will make dumb decisions if they don't involve their husbands. I find that highly offensive and derogatory.

1 Like

Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Craven: 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2015
coolsix:

Thanks

It's always nice to come across guys like you who do not feel threatened by equality. I appreciate your views.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by dammytosh: 3:04pm On Nov 20, 2015
Craven:

But it is your words that led me to that conclusion. According to you, the wife of any man who understands and expresses gender equality will definitely end up in a beer parlor. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but you did try to paint gender equality as a factor that leads women into making wrong decisions. And in a way, you made it seem like women will make dumb decisions if they don't involve their husbands. I find that highly offensive and derogatory.

You are very wrong with your conclusion. I only cited example of jobs that I can NEVER allow my woman to do.(just for argument's sake).

My take is simple and clear, as a man with the capacity to take care of my woman and my home, she needs my consent and permission before taking up ANY job.

I am not talking about boyfriend & girlfriend. I am talking about Husband and Wife where the husband is the bread winner and not the wife.

Until we understand the basic principle of Marriage, this generation will keep battling with crashing of marriages per seconds.

If you as a lady can not trust your man enough when he does not agree with a job you are taking up, you have no business marrying him. Don't give in to the pressure of Saturday weddings, just stay single.

You marry in church but not ready to follow what the bible says about establishing a Christian Home but expect a miracle to happen.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Craven: 3:37pm On Nov 20, 2015
dammytosh:

You are very wrong with your conclusion. I only cited example of jobs that I can NEVER allow my woman to do.(just for argument's sake).

My take is simple and clear, as a man with the capacity to take care of my woman and my home, she needs my consent and permission before taking up ANY job.

I am not talking about boyfriend & girlfriend. I am talking about Husband and Wife where the husband is the bread winner and not the wife.

Until we understand the basic principle of Marriage, this generation will keep battling with crashing of marriages per seconds.

If you as a lady can not trust your man enough when he does not agree with a job you are taking up, you have no business marrying him. Don't give in to the pressure of Saturday weddings, just stay single.

You marry in church but not ready to follow what the bible says about establishing a Christian Home but expect a miracle to happen.

I don't use religion to back up my arguments for the simple reason that religion is different across the world. I should also add that a Christian home is not the same as a dictatorship. You seem to be mixing the two up. I do not condone misogyny or chauvinism in the inferiority of women, which you seem to think is okay because 'the Bible said so'. Sometimes, people misinterpret the Bible to suit them, which is what you are doing. You were raised in a society that backs patriarchy; our culture is highly misogynistic; so it's hard for you to believe a woman can be your equal. You are not used to the idea and you feel threatened by it, I can tell. And for you to make yourself sleep better at night, you use the Bible to back up your claim. You believe you were born to be pleased; that it is your right for everything to go your way. I hate to break it to you brother, but no one owes you anything. If anyone does anything for you, it is because they wish to, not because they owe you.

But we are all entitled to our views, and I believe you are entitled to yours, which is why I won't argue this any further. - Know this though, there once was a time when women weren't allowed to speak unless spoken to; when women weren't allowed to contribute to issues because no one thought highly of them; when women could not vote; when women had no access to education because people felt they did not need it; even the Bible is against women speaking in church. But now everything's changed; we have female bosses, female political figures, women can now speak in church and contribute to its development. My point? Change is constant. It might take long, but it will definitely come. Society is fast changing and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Have yourself a nice day. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 20, 2015
i was NOT expecting cameroun to be on that list.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 20, 2015
ALL of dem consist. Of ISlamabad. Nations this bad
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by JaaizTech: 4:55pm On Nov 20, 2015
I don't know which Wife would not need her Husband's consent to work? . I mean there is already a problem in the marriage, if the Wife doesn't care if her husband wants her to work or not.!!!. If my wife must work, I must be okay with her place of work, I must consent to it.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by JaaizTech: 5:07pm On Nov 20, 2015
HaneefahRN:

Nice and intelligent post. I actually replied Misskiffy cos of the term backward she used and her relating it to Islam. In Islam there is no aayah in the Quran and no part of the hadith where a woman working is prohibited. She has her freewill to work if she pleases and not to if she wishes, she can't be forced to work neither can she be forced not to, if she wills. As long as the job is halal, no problem. [b]What I supported is the woman informing her husband and seeking his consent before taking up a job, of course the husband has no right to deny her of this. [/b]Women are encouraged to be Drs, nurses, teachers, whatever profession that will not involve lack of modesty and is halal.

Bro. Her husband has the right to refuse to allow to her work. Remember that it is obligatory to obey your husband unless he tells you to do something sinful. So if a husband tells his wife not to go out to work or to study, she has to obey him, and this will lead to her happiness and salvation. According to a hadeeth narrated by Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh, “If a woman prays her five daily prayers, fasts her month (of Ramadaan), guards her chastity and obeys her husband, it will be said to her: ‘Enter Paradise from whichever of its gates you wish.’” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 661).

But the husband should not exploit this right to hurt his wife’s feelings or ignore her opinion or go against her wishes. Rather he has to fear Allaah and try to consult with his wife and discuss with her, and explain the shar’i ruling to her, and give her permissible alternatives that will make her happy, develop her potential and achieve some of what she wants.
Re: 18 Countries Where Women Need Permission From Their Husbands To Work by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 20, 2015
nigeriancuban:
calls bar man in Mr ibu's voice***bar man abeg 7 origin for this broda he is a true son of the soil...
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why We Shutdown Shoprite Stores In Nigeria - Workers / 3 Underrated But Lucrative Skills That Will Make You Rich / My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.