Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos (14997 Views)

Traffic Gridlock Hits Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Extends To 3 States (Pics, Video / Tanker Drivers Cause Traffic Gridlock In Lagos This Morning (Photos) / Lagos-ibadan Expressway Gridlock In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by 2odd(m): 7:29am On Nov 21, 2015
To all Lagos Residents and it suburb , traffic jam (go slow, hold up) is part of everyday life . you have to plan ur day in accordance with it . Many have been wondering what's are the major causes of these GRIDLOCKS and during these festive period it will surely be elevated
Here are my major causes
1. location of businesses : Many major companies are located in Lagos and it environ . thereby there's huge influx of people trying to get to their work places from their abodes early in the morning and and vice versa in the evening .Those that works in the island , or stays in sango can attest to that.
2 . state of the roads: Most of the roads are in bad conditions and not properly manage . a very good example is at ile -epo along oshodi -sango road. that road is beyond spoilt .if rain should fall , you are in for it..
3. Church programs and Political activities : these two are kinda inter related. when churches like RCCG and Winners hold their annual conventions. the gridlock is extremely bad. when our politicians decides to pay Lagos a visit , the citizenry knows they are in for it.
4. lack of proper town planning: this is another issue ,several buildings , Churches , markets are located in awkward places .thereby resulting in traffic Gridlock
5. Attitudes of pedestrians : some of lagosians are hard heads . some will be crossing highways with impunity even if overhead bridges are available , oncoming vehicles will have to slow down thus causing gridlocks. a typical example can be found in Oshodi,where KAI is arresting offenders.but that's not deterring some people.
6.Roadside stores: some people hawks their wares on the highways and you will c drivers and passengers haggling over the prices of goods right in the middles of the road!.
7.Drivers attitudes: most of us have being in traffic jams and we kept wondering what is the cause only for us to c two motorist battling it out right in the middle of the road.sometimes we can c a woman in suit trying earnestly to eat some food. we may even witness two drivers trying to fit into the same space. a very good example occurred at lekki toll gate right in front of oriental hotel where two drivers got stuck will trying to pass through the gate at the same time!
8. location of law enforcement agents: This usually get me angry. you will c law enforcement agent lurking at the end of the road, portholes, curves to catch offenders. the most recent one I witnessed occurred along yaba road where a motorist was told to reverse back on the BRT lane with at least 20 vehicles behind him when they could have Stayed at beginning to avert it all.
Feel free to add yours
Cc:
Dominique

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Kuraino: 7:41am On Nov 21, 2015
one bottle of origin for u OP for this tantalising thread

8 Likes

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by lasisi69(f): 8:07am On Nov 21, 2015
Definitely not an end time.... It has to be fixed

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by ionsman: 8:08am On Nov 21, 2015
Lagos traffic is world class....

Travelled to Lagos last two weeks thursday(a day before R.C.C.G convention) and the traffic gridlock on that Lagos-Ibadan expressway was scary.

Someone in the bus said," Some of the people coming for the convention won't witness it.They will spend so much time in traffic that by the time they get to their destination,the convention would've ended". I was dumbfounded.

5 Likes

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Okwutex3(m): 8:08am On Nov 21, 2015
I usually only come here to read comments, but its unbelievable dat I commented today, hit front page and 5th to comment. Seun I need to send my account number to u ooo. U should pay me for making dis huge success grin. Back to post, Neva been to Lasgidi. #Abujaonpoint.

1 Like

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by hobermener: 8:08am On Nov 21, 2015
End time signs angry
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by hobermener: 8:08am On Nov 21, 2015
End time traffic
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by dake40(m): 8:08am On Nov 21, 2015
That Moment when you try to escape with a stolen car and ended up in lagos traffic, you turned back to face crowd of aggressive thief hunters!......

1 Like

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by sule17(m): 8:09am On Nov 21, 2015
Audu for kogi state
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 21, 2015
Volks own is spiritual,cos u won't see the cause. Meaning its caused by ogbanje spirit.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by khristals(m): 8:10am On Nov 21, 2015
grin
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by gungab(m): 8:10am On Nov 21, 2015
confirm I will add mine later
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 21, 2015
i think Governor Ambode deserves kudos for his listening ears. Traffic is one major challenge of cities but effective managememt can go a long way in ameliorating it
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by bimflash(f): 8:10am On Nov 21, 2015
You over make sense with this post
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by erekoshe: 8:11am On Nov 21, 2015
9. Water board breaking roads to fix pipes.
10. Lack of active LASTMA officials in the road
11. Mentally deranged bus drivers
12. An incompetent state governor (The Economist)

1 Like

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Beehshorp(m): 8:11am On Nov 21, 2015
Yesterdays traffic was epic... The problem is too many cars and all dis trading and double parking along the road... I see no solution for dis Lagos traffic atall

2 Likes

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by scholes0(m): 8:13am On Nov 21, 2015
Lack of alternative modes of transport apart from the Road is the NUMBER 1 reason.

All others are either secondary or offshoots of that point.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Moz22: 8:13am On Nov 21, 2015
lasisi69:
Definitely not an end time.... It has to be fixed
I concur oga mii
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by awesomeboi(m): 8:13am On Nov 21, 2015
too much population and lots of mad drivers.

1 Like

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Samanther(m): 8:13am On Nov 21, 2015
Lagos is a small city full of too many people

End time traffic
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by fascowilly(m): 8:14am On Nov 21, 2015
I think we need flyover everywhere grin grin undecided

2 Likes

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Evergreen4(m): 8:14am On Nov 21, 2015
Commercial buses picking passengers on the road. These buses don't like using their designated bustops and the worst of it is that u see traffic wardens right there with them only collecting bribe.

1 Like

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by lovelyjay: 8:15am On Nov 21, 2015
Nice one
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by seunlayi(m): 8:15am On Nov 21, 2015
Am body is working

1 Like

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by louiskay(m): 8:18am On Nov 21, 2015
Eko o ni Baje o!!!
d traffic is truly epical and mythical... I swear
.was once hooked in a 8hrs traffic.... I almost collapse
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by advocatebaba(m): 8:19am On Nov 21, 2015
1.NO PROPER URBAN AND REGIONAL PLANNING. 2. BREAKING DOWN OF CAR, BUS, TRAILER AT D MIDU OF D ROAD. 3. NO ENOUGH TRAFFIC OFFICERS IN SOME MAJOR LOCATION... E.T.C
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by inze(m): 8:20am On Nov 21, 2015
. . . like someone said:

- Traffic in the Western County is caused by Traffic-lights
- Traffic in Abuja is caused by them siren wailers and convoy carriers
- Traffic in Lagos is caused by Evil Spirits, because at the end of the day and you get ahead only to discover nothing is actually causing the traffic.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by bastien: 8:20am On Nov 21, 2015
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun Begins Construction Of Light Rail In Sango-Ijoko-Akute-Alagbole / LASG To Divert Traffic On Anthony/Ikorodu Road Axis / FRSC Closes Magboro, Kara, Ibafo Axis On Lagos-ibadan Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.