Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos (14996 Views)

Traffic Gridlock Hits Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Extends To 3 States (Pics, Video / Tanker Drivers Cause Traffic Gridlock In Lagos This Morning (Photos) / Lagos-ibadan Expressway Gridlock In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Arsenate(m): 8:23am On Nov 21, 2015
11 Those yellow buses stopping to pick and drop paseengers at will, without regards to the law.

12 Large volume of vehicles plying the road at about the same time
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by LilSmith55(m): 8:27am On Nov 21, 2015
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Bollinger(m): 8:38am On Nov 21, 2015
2odd:
To all Lagos Residents and it suburb , traffic jam (go slow, hold up) is part of everyday life . you have to plan ur day in accordance with it . Many have been wondering what's are the major causes of these GRIDLOCKS and during these festive period it will surely be elevated
Here are my major causes
1. location of businesses : Many major companies are located in Lagos and it environ . thereby there's huge influx of people trying to get to their work places from their abodes early in the morning and and vice versa in the evening .Those that works in the island , or stays in sango can attest to that.
2 . state of the roads: Most of the roads are in bad conditions and not properly manage . a very good example is at ile -epo along oshodi -sango road. that road is beyond spoilt .if rain should fall , you are in for it..
3. Church programs and Political activities : these two are kinda inter related. when churches like RCCG and Winners hold their annual conventions. the gridlock is extremely bad. when our politicians decides to pay Lagos a visit , the citizenry knows they are in for it.
4. lack of proper town planning: this is another issue ,several buildings , Churches , markets are located in awkward places .thereby resulting in traffic Gridlock
5. Attitudes of pedestrians : some of lagosians are hard heads . some will be crossing highways with impunity even if overhead bridges are available , oncoming vehicles will have to slow down thus causing gridlocks. a typical example can be found in Oshodi,where KAI is arresting offenders.but that's not deterring some people.
6.Roadside stores: some people hawks their wares on the highways and you will c drivers and passengers haggling over the prices of goods right in the middles of the road!.
7.Drivers attitudes: most of us have being in traffic jams and we kept wondering what is the cause only for us to c two motorist battling it out right in the middle of the road.sometimes we can c a woman in suit trying earnestly to eat some food. we may even witness two drivers trying to fit into the same space. a very good example occurred at lekki toll gate right in front of oriental hotel where two drivers got stuck will trying to pass through the gate at the same time!
8. location of law enforcement agents: This usually get me angry. you will c law enforcement agent lurking at the end of the road, portholes, curves to catch offenders. the most recent one I witnessed occurred along yaba road where a motorist was told to reverse back on the BRT lane with at least 20 vehicles behind him when they could have Stayed at beginning to avert it all.
Feel free to add yours
Cc:
Dominique

Back in the day, i used to work for this multi national company with the african regional headquaters located in Dubai. My "oga" who was Russian would come to Nigeria quaterly to inspect progress we had been making in his absence. It was my job to always do the presentations, driving him around stores in the west, and briefings with him on these occasions. What always confused me about him was the rant he always went into driving around Lagos especially. "how do you drive around without any demarcations on your roads?" he asked me one day while driving on third mainland. Of course i did not know any better and i was wondering what he was talking about. "i mean, how do cars not ram into one another without any guidance from street signs, functional traffic lights, and demarcations. You don't even know how to use a roundabout correctly. It's amazing". I was like what is he talking about? you drive into a roundabout and drive out. Simple. Apparently not. It was not until i left that phucking country that i began to understand all he was trying to pass on to me. Any car inside a roundabout has right of way and must exit or pass completely before another vehicle enters. That is why there are free flow of traffic and hardly any accidents in them in Europe and America. Even making a turn into streets there are rules that make everyone's lives so much easier and reduces traffic jams. At the end of the day, the Nigerian mentality needs an overhaul. After that, it needs total re education. Nigerians do things the way cowboys used to back in the day in the wild wild west. Shoot from the hip, ask questions later.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by OkoyeA1(m): 8:46am On Nov 21, 2015
Yomieluv:
Volks own is spiritual,cos u won't see the cause. Meaning its caused by ogbanje spirit.
that 1 is End time hold up
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by arinzest: 8:47am On Nov 21, 2015
I have the utmost respect for lagosians. Went for an exam @ Ijanikin. Spent 6hours moving from d MM1 to Iyana Sashe.

Had to leave d airport taxi n join a mad driver wt a yellow bus. Best decision. D guy was so deranged dt even soldiers knew him. That was how i spent ONLY 6hrs in traffic on a SUNDAY for god's sake

If am to pass thru dt everyday for 6mths, may one day jump from a high rise building
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by mrnairaland1(m): 8:56am On Nov 21, 2015
2odd:
To all Lagos Residents and it suburb , traffic jam (go slow, hold up) is part of everyday life . you have to plan ur day in accordance with it . Many have been wondering what's are the major causes of these GRIDLOCKS and during these festive period it will surely be elevated
Here are my major causes
1. location of businesses : Many major companies are located in Lagos and it environ . thereby there's huge influx of people trying to get to their work places from their abodes early in the morning and and vice versa in the evening .Those that works in the island , or stays in sango can attest to that.
2 . state of the roads: Most of the roads are in bad conditions and not properly manage . a very good example is at ile -epo along oshodi -sango road. that road is beyond spoilt .if rain should fall , you are in for it..
3. Church programs and Political activities : these two are kinda inter related. when churches like RCCG and Winners hold their annual conventions. the gridlock is extremely bad. when our politicians decides to pay Lagos a visit , the citizenry knows they are in for it.
4. lack of proper town planning: this is another issue ,several buildings , Churches , markets are located in awkward places .thereby resulting in traffic Gridlock
5. Attitudes of pedestrians : some of lagosians are hard heads . some will be crossing highways with impunity even if overhead bridges are available , oncoming vehicles will have to slow down thus causing gridlocks. a typical example can be found in Oshodi,where KAI is arresting offenders.but that's not deterring some people.
6.Roadside stores: some people hawks their wares on the highways and you will c drivers and passengers haggling over the prices of goods right in the middles of the road!.
7.Drivers attitudes: most of us have being in traffic jams and we kept wondering what is the cause only for us to c two motorist battling it out right in the middle of the road.sometimes we can c a woman in suit trying earnestly to eat some food. we may even witness two drivers trying to fit into the same space. a very good example occurred at lekki toll gate right in front of oriental hotel where two drivers got stuck will trying to pass through the gate at the same time!
8. location of law enforcement agents: This usually get me angry. you will c law enforcement agent lurking at the end of the road, portholes, curves to catch offenders. the most recent one I witnessed occurred along yaba road where a motorist was told to reverse back on the BRT lane with at least 20 vehicles behind him when they could have Stayed at beginning to avert it all.
Feel free to add yours
Cc:
Dominique

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by niggi4life(m): 9:17am On Nov 21, 2015
Yomieluv:
Volks own is spiritual,cos u won't see the cause. Meaning its caused by ogbanje spirit.
grin that volks traffic na d only tin wey constant for Lagos
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by anthony86(m): 9:17am On Nov 21, 2015
OP should have added Fuel Scarcity
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Exponental(m): 9:19am On Nov 21, 2015
1. bus stops and indiscriminate dropping of passengers.... there should be a law against this with lots of warnings before persecuting the offenders.
2. break down of vehicles and accidents.... introduction of towing vehicles, rescue motorbikes and helicopters can help manage the situation. emergency lines should also support in this rescue.
3. pot holes and bad road..... once fixed, no need for slowing down.

1 Like

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 21, 2015
Trading by the roadside also contribute to gridlock.
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by femo86(m): 9:39am On Nov 21, 2015
inze:
. . . like someone said:

- Traffic is the Western County is caused by Traffic-lights
- Traffic in Abuja is caused by them siren wailers and convoy carriers
- Traffic in Lagos is caused by Evil Spirits, because at the end of the day and you get ahead only to discover nothing is actually causing the traffic.

Bros.....send me that "someone"s account number right now grin grin d person sabi
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by swtjay(f): 9:44am On Nov 21, 2015
Ok
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by pope5(m): 9:46am On Nov 21, 2015
the biggest of all was not mentioned, Random parking @ Bus stops, The way those danfo and LT park on the road while loading is a source of concern and is one of the major cause of traffic jam in lagos, Get to airport bus stop to Ikeja along you will wonder whats causing such in a road that wide, and its d same every where along route
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by HastaCuando(m): 10:15am On Nov 21, 2015
I won't argue less that other things you mentioned do contribute to traffic jams on the roads of Lagos. But the major cause is the second, which is the state of the roads. Sometime ago I used google earth to explore Lagos, especially the mainland. To my amazement, Lagos has a wonderful and well planned road network. Unfortunately most of them are so dilapidated and in a sorry state. That's why traffic concentrates on the few good ones. For Lagos to resurrect again, any well meaning Lagos governor will have to concentrate on rehabilitating physically, not on paper, the wonderful connectivity of roads within. I did my youth service in Anambra some years ago. later, I visited the lovely family I was staying with in 2010. I couldn't believe how I moved from one part to another without using the federal roads as before, all credit to their past governor, Peter Obi, who did what I can call a total overhaul of the state roads. If same is achieved in Lagos, there would be less worry for other causes you mentioned. Thank you.
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by akigbemaru: 10:40am On Nov 21, 2015
cause of grid lock in Lagos
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Lordscrown(m): 10:47am On Nov 21, 2015
Well,I stay at sango and work in the island.I leave house 4;30am,yet I'll c traffic.I wonder if lagosians ever sleep..besides,the havoc danfo drivers causes on lagos road is overwhelming.they tends to pick passengers at every corner of the road.I just expect. Them to start knocking of passengers various doors to pick them!
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Okpueze1(m): 11:26am On Nov 21, 2015
Some people are just if I may say, stupid! What's the meaning of this 'end time' comments? When something serious is going on some stupid elements will just be shouting end time end time. What's end time please?
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by dorcaspedia(f): 11:54am On Nov 21, 2015
Bad Usage of d road, illegal parking of buses is also a major cause. Impatience on d part of d drivers. Traffic officials not doing their job enough..... Though they are trying...
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by delightz(m): 12:22pm On Nov 21, 2015
Please notify Ambo of this thread. grin

Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by real86(m): 12:34pm On Nov 21, 2015
The major cause of gridlock in Lagos is the non functional motor garages in Lagos state. This is because the local government/state government or agbero benefit more from the illicit markets all over where we are supposed to have motor garage.
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Titidi(f): 12:42pm On Nov 21, 2015
Everybody wants to own a car
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by morab90(m): 1:20pm On Nov 21, 2015
Solutions are what we always craved. Thanks to the Lagos Government.
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by ricki: 2:21pm On Nov 21, 2015
agbeero nko??
Re: Major Causes Of Traffic Gridlock In Lagos by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 21, 2015
No need for number 1 since there is number 6. Number 3 is useless since you had number 4 in mind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

LASG To Divert Traffic On Anthony/Ikorodu Road Axis / Ogun Begins Construction Of Light Rail In Sango-Ijoko-Akute-Alagbole / FRSC Closes Magboro, Kara, Ibafo Axis On Lagos-ibadan Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.