Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,712 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? (3547 Views)

Picture Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In 1997 (At A Camp Meeting) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Chris Oyakhilome Is A Phoney (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by tamashley(f): 5:40pm On May 22, 2009
[img]http://C:\Users\DAyemere\Pictures\office pix\Pastor praying 2.jpg[/img]A lot had been said and written about him in the past and present; ‘he is a fake preacher’, ‘he is controversial’, ‘he is not a real man of God’,  his main critics chorused this and much more. His incredibly ever expanding ministry however remains a parody of these cynical remarks. Reverend Chris Oyakhilome remains an enigma in Africa’s most fervid charismatic nation, Nigeria

Reports of healing and miracles at the Christ Embassy Healing School in Nigeria and South Africa and from his outreach crusades have been objects to be pored over and debated in forums like Nairaland. Allegations of manipulation and deceit have been the conclusion of most critics; accusing Pastor Chris of merely acting out a script. Why? To buoy up the number his followership, and increase sponsorship of programmes

So is he really what his critics say he is?
Through an anointed ministry spanning over 25 years, Pastor, teacher, healing minister, television host and best-selling author Rev. Chris Oyakhilome has helped millions experience a victorious and purposeful life in God’s Word, …presiding over an ever-widening network of Christ Embassy Churches and campus fellowships on all five continents, Rev. Chris also pastors one of the largest congregations in Africa. He holds massive teaching and healing crusades with crowds of over 3.5 million in a single night's event.

Now that’s what the Christ Embassy Church website tells you…but there’s more. In 2004, in the city of Port Harcourt over 2.5 million people gathered in a single event to listen to him. Pull over, Johannesburg, South Africa where train stations were shut down and frantic announcements made asking people to turn back. That program was tagged ‘Night of Bliss’ and the gargantuan crowd mirrored his subsequent programs in London and Toronto respectively. But it isn’t just the crowd phenomenon that is synonymous with these crusades; ask the people who turn up, at times spending nights in sleeping bags in front shut venue doors, standing in careening lines tarrying for a seat; then you’d get a clearer picture:

‘I had never heard anything about Pastor Chris until about mid July 2007…no wonder one of my granddaughters at age 4, called you JESUS, when she saw your picture on the cover of the DVD “In Spirit and in Truth’ - [i]Kate Nguini
‘The first time I saw him, I was like what kind of man is this? … I now live in his world… Pastor Chris is Woooooooow’- Eboh Ijeoma Marthina[/i]

To others, he is a great teacher;
‘I am so blessed to finally really meet the man of God, spirit-filed and God's chosen vessel indeed. I cannot express my joy in my spirit I have, that God finally answered my prayers and connected me with such beautiful teachings of God’s word’-  Anna Sevdianishvili
‘I came in contact with Pastor Chris through his messages in 2007 and I immediately found him to be a wonderful teacher of the Word. He so knows the Word [both the letter/written (logos) and the spirit]. I was amazed by the number of scriptures he would quote [up by heart] while he preached- [i]Essoua Frank   [/i]

Some also see him as a coach and mentor:
‘Knowing Pastor Chris has added value to my life. I can do all things, heal the sick, fill people with the Holy Spirit, preach the gospel and lots more.’- Tina Chibuzor
‘I am a regular viewer of Pastor Chris… in the ministry of the Holy Spirit; he has made us Christians proud’- Akinwande Tailor

And the miracle worker:
‘May the Lord continues reveals his miracles to pastor Chris. We love you the Oyakhilome family, we are blessed in Christ as this year is the seven fold increase’ - Khanyisile Sikhosana

What more can be said? He is definitely not a phony……I think he is more than a man, more than your eyes can see. Maybe not exactly an enigma to those who are acquainted with the ministry but definitely kaleidoscopic when you realize, critics et al, that this one man has traversed so many areas of ministry that often it’s almost impossible to keep up with the latest development. cool

Culled from The Shouts Bloghttp://uspeakoutnow./2009/05/22/pastor-chris-oyakhilome-a-phoney/[b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by vwvw(m): 5:57pm On May 22, 2009
the picture i guess speaks for itself ; in 2 decades christ embassy has spanned towns, villages, nations with the true gospel. undoubtedly one of the most influential preachers in Nigeria. he is definetely not a phony
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by tamashley(f): 10:15pm On May 22, 2009
vwvw:

the picture i guess speaks for itself ; in 2 decades christ embassy has spanned towns, villages, nations with the true gospel. undoubtedly one of the most influential preachers in Nigeria. he is definetely not a phony

VwVw, you know what I discovered, Pastor Chris is truly wearing a Coat of many colors. He has taken upon himself the reproach of Christ. If afer more than 2000 years after, people are still spending mega bucks seeking to discredit the person of Christ and undermine the authenticity of his miracles, how much more Pastor Chris who preaches so boldly in His name. cool

Tamashley
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by Tudor3(m): 12:50am On May 23, 2009
^^^^load of undiluted crap!

1 Like

Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by duduspace(m): 1:01am On May 23, 2009
tamashley:

What more can be said? He is definitely not a phony……I think he is more than a man, more than your eyes can see. Maybe not exactly an enigma to those who are acquainted with the ministry but definitely kaleidoscopic when you realize, critics et al, that this one man has traversed so many areas of ministry that often it’s almost impossible to keep up with the latest development. cool

You've probably seen him in clothing less than his briefs to come to this conclusion which I won't dispute cos all I've seen from where I stand is yet another well fed religious hustler feeding fat on gullible nigerians.
You can further convince us by giving us precise dimensions of the parts hidden under the suit and his underwear which we are yet to see so that we can all marvel at the wonder of this non human who has suceeded in conning the whole world that he is one.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by moiaussi1: 2:39am On May 23, 2009
Hi tamashley
I'm new here and I have to confess that I am shocked at the language shocked, I don't think I can take it for granted that everyone reading this has been born again.

Please log on to www.christembassy.org and you will find materials that will guide you to a personal saving knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

But truth be told, Pastor Chris is certainly no phony, I was healed in one of his meetings years ago when I guess you could say he was relatively 'unknown'. No matter what anyone says, you can't really argue with a man's experience, the blind man in the gospels said, "I was blind and now I can see" period!! Pastor Chris Oyakhilome is as real as they come.

Moi Aussi
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by optimisty(m): 6:50am On May 23, 2009
Hi NLanders,

I feel very bad reading or hearing people discuss against Men of GOD that they should learn from. I wonder the kind of professors they are that they cannot even study their Bible to see for themselves if these things that they hear and argue on is true or false. They judge from speaking in tongues to nothing. For the sake of those (critics) involved try (1 Corinthians 14:2,4,13,14 KJV ).
I have been able to interact who doesn't know what  The Holy Ghost and Jesus Christ really means in the life of a New Testament Believer because they are nothing but Spiritual Babes (So get rid of all evil behavior. Be done with all deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and all unkind speech. 2 Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, 3 now that you have had a taste of the Lord’s kindness.1 Peter 2:2NLT). But the worst is that they have rejected the milk (The WORD of GOD) and have decided to remain in blind arguments; looking everywhere to fault Men of GOD. It's a pity.

Pls I advise that people learn from Pastor Chris and other Men of God that has allowed themselves to be used by GOD to reach this generation (Just like Aposle Paul in the Bible) in helping to let us know our inheritance in Jesus Christ---at least that I am a product of GRACE, not law (Galatians 5:4 NLT/AMPLIFIED) Havnt you heard that no one has been able to make it under the law except by Faith (Romans 1:17); (The Chosen generation and royal priesthood 1 Peter 2:9,10); (The SAVED and the HEALED 1 Peter 2:24); who will spiritually understand these things ---The Good News and keep silent? Not me!.

Are you a believer?, are you born again?, do you have the the Holy Spirit?, if you are; mind one thing, Pls,  you must know whom you are: Ye are gods (Psalm 82:6; John 10:34).

Tùdor:

You guys should go suck a d.i.c.k abeg.chris is a phoney and a thief. We dont need a magician to tell us that. . .

Tùdor,
Look @ each of those words of yours in a public. I wonder where you are heading to. You sounds too low to be in a forum (I just mean to be frank with you). I've been in just a fraction of your status before, but I thank GOD today that I've been built by the WORD of GOD.

The miracles are REAL from GOD, all in JESUS' Name.Or have you not heard of the WORDS of CHRIST (Mark 16:17)
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues);
[i]John 14:12
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father

As long as CHRIST lives MIRACLES shall never cease to happen and souls won to CHRIST. It's our BIRTHRIGHT in CHRIST.

The WORD works for those that believes (1 Thessalonians 2:13).
Don't criticize Pastor Chris. He has taught me all I know today in the WORD of GOD.

You still have an opportunity to get closer and discover what the WORD of GOD says concerning you in every situation. And most of all, BE CLEAN by the WORD of CHRIST (John 15:3); Be SAVED, and the HOLY SPIRIT will come to teach you ALL THINGS .

The WORD Works.

Live the WORD.

That's what he teach.
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by ttalks(m): 8:13am On May 23, 2009
optimisty:

Are you a believer?, are you born again?, do you have the the Holy Spirit?, if you are; mind one thing, Pls,  you must know whom you are: Ye are gods (Psalm 82:6; John 10:34).

Now the part boldened is one of the lies which come from Pastor Chris.The twistings of the word of God are what make him to be a phony in the eyes of many; not necessarily the staged or not staged miracles he does.

Go back to ur bible and seriously study John 10:34 and Psalm 82.6 in the context in which they were used. There you will find that the gods in reference has nothing to do with Christians and also, has nothing to do with possessing god like abilities.
As Christians, we are not gods in any way,- we are simply what we are ;Christians; children of God.
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by ttalks(m): 8:29am On May 23, 2009
Psa 82:1-8
(1)  <A Psalm of Asaph.> God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
(2)  How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
(3)  Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
(4)  Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
(5)  They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
(6)  I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
(7)  But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
(8  Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Reading the above portion of the bible, the term gods was in reference to people who were in positions of authority who had the responsibility to execute just judgement among the people.
But as one can clearly see, they were not executing their responsibilities properly and had pronouncements declared upon them.
They're simply men in positions of authority and not people who possess god like abilities like Chris Oyaks likes to make people believe.

It is the simple truth from that portion of the Bible that Christ used to make his point when talking to the Jews.Ordinary men in positions of authority were refered to as gods because of their responsibilities as judges of the people;their responsibilities as middle men betwen God and the people.
So how much more he who was sanctified by God and sent  into the world?

That is all the point in John 10:34 was about and not the stupid lie that we Christians  are gods and possess god like abilities.
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by fyneguy: 11:59am On May 23, 2009
Another terrible clown lipsrsealed
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by optimisty(m): 12:55pm On May 23, 2009
ttalks:

Psa 82:1-8
(1)  <A Psalm of Asaph.> God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
(2)  How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
(3)  Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
(4)  Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
(5)  They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
(6)  I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
(7)  But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
(8  Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Reading the above portion of the bible, the term gods was in reference to people who were in positions of authority who had the responsibility to execute just judgement among the people.
But as one can clearly see, they were not executing their responsibilities properly and had pronouncements declared upon them.
They're simply men in positions of authority and not people who possess god like abilities like Chris Oyaks likes to make people believe.

It is the simple truth from that portion of the Bible that Christ used to make his point when talking to the Jews.Ordinary men in positions of authority were refered to as gods because of their responsibilities as judges of the people;their responsibilities as middle men betwen God and the people.
So how much more he who was sanctified by God and sent  into the world?

That is all the point in John 10:34 was about and not the stupid lie that we Christians  are gods and possess god like abilities.

ttalks,
I knew that term "ye are gods" would raise so dusts. It doesn't mean that we are the SUPREME GOD, if we are, why then do we pray to GOD in the Name of JESUS; HE is One GOD, One Father, above ALL, Ephesians 4:6 .That's good. But let me chip in what I learnt before posting. No quarrel:

First we must look at Psalm 82 to get the context in which these words are found. In verse one Asaph declared that God judges among the gods. This word "gods" is the same Hebrew word used in verse six. Verses two through four inform us as to the identity of these gods whom God judges. They are none other than judges, or magistrates of the land. They were rulers who were perverting judgment through their office and authority. Because of this it is declared, "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes" (Psalm 82:6-7). The Lord had given these rulers their authority, but they abused it (Daniel 4:25, 30, 34-37; 5:18-22; Romans 13:1-4). As a result of their evil stewardship over the offices of God, the Lord said they would fall like one of the princes. In this passage, then, those who are called gods are human judges in the land of Israel.

The Hebrew word translated "gods" is Elohim. This is the masculine plural form of the root word El, denoting strength and power.1 Elohim is used 2,250 times in the Old Testament. What is interesting about this word is that it does not always refer to the one true God, and is not even always translated "god." It is also attributed to angels (Psalm 8:5), and human judges (Exodus 21:6). It is translated as "mighty" in reference to a human prince (Genesis 23:6), thunder (Exodus 9:28), "great" in reference to Rachel's competition with Leah for children (Genesis 30). The reason God called the judges "gods" was because of their strength and power of position, not because of any deity within them. As I have just demonstrated, the word does not always imply deity, whether it be false or true, but can refer to different offices, peoples, or concepts.

Now we will examine Jesus' use of this verse in John 10:34. The event that prompted Jesus' quotation of this verse was the Jews' response to His claim of deity. Not only did He claim deity, but He claimed to be Yahweh Himself (Deuteronomy 6:4; John 10:30-33). The Jews did not understand Jesus' statement, "I and my Father are one," to mean that Jesus was in unity with God's purpose. They understood Him to be claiming that He and God were one in essence and substance. To the Jews this was blasphemy. Blasphemy received the death penalty by stoning according to the Law of Moses. That is why they took up stones to stone Him.

Jesus knew that it was His claim to be God Himself that infuriated the Jews enough to kill Him. If Jesus only meant that his oneness with the Father was of purpose, and not of essence, this would have been the perfect time to explain to the Jews that He was not claiming to be God, but merely a demigod, or second God sent from the Lord. Instead He quoted Psalm 82:6 saying, "Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?".

The point Jesus was making here was that since " 'the Scripture uses the word god as applied to magistrates, it settles the question that it is right to apply the term to those in office and authority. If applied to them, it may be to others in similar offices. It cannot, therefore, be blasphemy to use this word as applicable to a personage so much more exalted than mere magistrates as the Messiah.' "2 If the magistrates could be called by the same word used for the true God because they were leaders to whom the word of God came (was entrusted), then Jesus should also be able to claim the title for Yahweh since He spoke the words of God. Jesus' argument to the Jews was that if mere humans could carry the title of "gods" in the holy Scriptures, then they should not object to His claim either.

With this, I believe we might also view a touch of sarcasm in Jesus' words. In a sense He said, "Why can't I be God just because I'm a man. Even you're own Scriptures declare men to be gods?" Jesus was not minimizing His identity to be something less than God, but seems to be mocking the Jews with their own Scriptures. The Jews continually came at Jesus with the Scriptures trying to destroy His claims, so Jesus used their own methods on them.

If Jesus did not intend to be at least a little sarcastic with the Jews, then His statement would have put Him on the same level as a magistrate or leader, and not as the Son of God as He claimed to be (John 10:30, 36). If Jesus was equating Himself with a magistrate or leader, He could not have claimed to be in the Father, and have the Father in Him (John 10:38). This was a special identity and relationship unique to Jesus Himself. No mere man could claim anything similar without in fact committing blasphemy against the God of heaven.

That's not the issue of people's arguments over Pastor Chris being phony or not. What he teaches is just letting you know your rights in CHRIST.
The naked truth is that people have neglected the importance of studying and researching the Bible to know the truths and lies about what they hear. Many pre-positions their minds against a man of God; meaning they have planned in their minds of how to crucify 'him" (could be any Pastor) even before they hear you say a, Just like the Jews.
[/color][color=#990000]
ttalks:

Now the part boldened is one of the lies which come from Pastor Chris.The twistings of the word of God are what make him to be a phony in the eyes of many; not necessarily the staged or not staged miracles he does.

Go back to ur bible and seriously study John 10:34 and Psalm 82.6 in the context in which they were used. There you will find that the gods in reference has nothing to do with Christians and also, has nothing to do with possessing god like abilities.
As Christians, we are not gods in any way,- we are simply what we are ;Christians; children of God.

Christianity is more than "Simple" religion as you people sees and discusses it. It means, life of CHRIST (GOD) in a man.
I indeed knew that many were going to pick and capitalize on these "Ye are gods" to say all they think.

As Christians we should know that we have the FULLNESS of GOD in our Spirit through the HOLY SPIRIT Hebrews 6:4; Colossians 1:12, that's where we function as real Christians everyday. It's an awesome experience being Born Again 23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever 1 Peter 1:23. 2 Peter 1:3
According as his DIVINE power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the KNOWLEDGE of him that hath called us to GLORY and VIRTUE.

A King's Kid (The Prince, Heir) is not different from his Father (The King). CHRIST is the Heir of GOD and we are Joint Heirs with HIM ( Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
). IT PLEASES HIM even from the foundation of the earth: And God said; Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Genesis 1:26

The vine branch cannot be different from the vine as long as it abides John 15:4-5; Hebrews 3:14.

The issue is that People have rejected Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding of GOD as against the advice of the Bible in Proverbs 3:13; Proverbs 4:5,7; Proverbs 16:16 ; Proverbs 17:16; Proverbs 19:8.
And that has negatively gone a long way.
Josea 4:6.

PLS STUDY THIS (Use a Reference Bible and do some research for yourself, not forgetting to pray for interpretation)
1 Corinthians 2

ALL
This is really a call for all Christians to "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" 2 Timothy 2:15 .

So as to avoid ignorantly parading as "bastards" in the household of GOD; Be a SON Hebrews 12:8

Shalom.
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by Tudor3(m): 1:26pm On May 23, 2009
@optimisty
OK WE'VE HEARD YOU.
How much do you want as offering,so you can stop bothering us with your CRAP. Or are you seeking for financial partners for christ embassy,so chris can buy new thousand dollar suits,fly around in private jets or probably so his brother can buy a new lambourghini -meanwhile the average church member is dying of hunger

1 Like

Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: A Phoney? by AKO1(m): 1:38pm On May 23, 2009
Please search before posting for God's sake. Or better still, check the library.

(1)

The Many Misfortunes Befalling Redeemed Pastors / People Reportedly Missing In Different Parts Of World Few Minutes Ago: RAPTURE!! / Is CHRISTMAS A Pagan Festival?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.