Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,359 members, 7,836,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? (1695 Views)

Three Sacred Things We Christians Abuse. / My Sperm Is A Sacred Milk From God: Brazilian Pastor Force Members To MouthAction / My Semen Is A Sacred Holy Milk - Pastor Makes Members Suck His Manhood In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 8:37am On Nov 22, 2015
Sunday is considered the 1st day of the week, while Saturday takes the 7th position(the last day of the week). However, the account of creation states that: God commenced the work of creation on the 1st day(Sunday), when the earth was without form & void. The work of creation continued in ernest till the sixth day(Friday). The last thing God created was man in His image & likeness; with a mandate to pilot the affairs of the earth. On the seventh day(saturday), God rested, blessed it & commanded it to be kept holy. Saturday was also regarded as the Sabbath day. In the days of Moses, a decree was released:"remember the sabbath day & keep it holy." Today, it is only the Seventh Day Adventis church that observed this obligation; the sabbath day(Saturday). Christians all over the world made their divine worship unto God on Sunday, except The Seventh Day Adventis Church. The questions now are: how was Sunday selected as a sacred day? Who released the decree? Is it in line with the scripture? Are the Seventh Day Adventis right? I've been pondering on this issue for quite a long time now. Moderators, please let the people debate on this, thanks.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 22, 2015
ERM...
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by Horlufemi(m): 8:45am On Nov 22, 2015
God's Sabbath is Saturday. Take it or leave it.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by menix(m): 8:52am On Nov 22, 2015
As long as u cook on saturday, wash common handkerchief pls what is sabbath about the saturday or sunday..

Sunday is a day u go nd commune with other believers...
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by plaetton: 9:02am On Nov 22, 2015
Horlufemi:

Saturday is the Sabbath day, not Sunday.
Sunday is the day of the sun.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by malvisguy212: 9:07am On Nov 22, 2015
Romans 14. 5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

1 Like

Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by Tallesty1(m): 9:31am On Nov 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
Romans 14.
5 One person considers one day more
sacred than
another; another considers every day
alike. Each of
them should be fully convinced in their
own mind.6
Whoever regards one day as special does
so to the
Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the
Lord, for
they give thanks to God; and whoever
abstains does
so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
Gbam

1 Like

Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by missKiffy(f): 9:56am On Nov 22, 2015
God rested on the last day, which is sunday
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 10:20am On Nov 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
Romans 14.
5 One person considers one day more
sacred than
another; another considers every day
alike. Each of
them should be fully convinced in their
own mind.6
Whoever regards one day as special does
so to the
Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the
Lord, for
they give thanks to God; and whoever
abstains does
so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
Pls which version of the bible is this? The sacred day was selected & sealed by God not man. All this change came about as a result of advancement in human knowledge. I suspect the white men culture.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 10:24am On Nov 22, 2015
missKiffy:
Sunday is the first day of a week not the last. Saturday is de last day God rested(the 7th day).
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 10:28am On Nov 22, 2015
Horlufemi:
How did Sunday emerge?
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by missKiffy(f): 10:36am On Nov 22, 2015
KelvinKelt:
Sunday is the first day of a week not the last. Saturday is de last day God rested(the 7th day).
I consider monday as the 1st day of the week, so sunday was the day God rested
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 10:39am On Nov 22, 2015
missKiffy:

Do u have any prove to ur fact?
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by malvisguy212: 10:48am On Nov 22, 2015
KelvinKelt:
Pls which version of the bible is this? The sacred day was selected & sealed by God not man. All this change came about as a result of advancement in human knowledge. I suspect the white men culture.
are you a christian ? Did I not quote from the bible? The bible is the word of God, and not the word of men.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 11:07am On Nov 22, 2015
malvisguy212:
are you a christian ? Did I not quote from the bible? The bible is the word of God, and not the word of men.
I'm a christian, I only ask for the bible version.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by Nobody: 11:47am On Nov 22, 2015
plaetton:

Saturday is the Sabbath day, not Sunday. Sunday is the day of the sun.
And the day of Saturn is what?
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by plaetton: 12:07pm On Nov 22, 2015
Reyginus:
And the day of Saturn is what?

Saturday.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by sinkhole: 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2015
missKiffy:

According to the Bible, the
Sabbath or Saturday is the last
day of the week which marks
Sunday as the first day of the
week for many Jewish and
Christian faiths, while many
countries regard Monday as the
first day of the week.
The seven- day week - Time and date

www.timeanddate.com/calendar/days/
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by plaetton: 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2015
missKiffy:

Sorry sister, Sunday is the first day, not the last day.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by plaetton: 12:10pm On Nov 22, 2015
missKiffy:

And how did you come to consider Monday the first day of the week?
And, are we to assume that you made the rules?

1 Like

Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 22, 2015
plaetton:

Saturday.
So whats your point when you told him Sunday is Sun day?
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by plaetton: 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2015
Reyginus:
So whats your point when you told him Sunday is Sun day?

Because Sun worship was the basis of designating Sunday as a special day in the Roman Empire, a practice the Roman founders of today's Christianity adopted for the sake of appeasing and synchronizing with the Pagan traditions of Rome.

Do not forget, that Christianity ,the Roman universal Church, or Roman Catholica, was a contrivance of convenience, a mish mash of beliefs, dogmas and traditions patched together, and meant to appeal to and unify all the disparate parts of the Roman Empire.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by vooks: 1:00pm On Nov 22, 2015
KelvinKelt:
Sunday is considered the 1st day of the week, while Saturday takes the 7th position(the last day of the week). However, the account of creation states that: God commenced the work of creation on the 1st day(Sunday), when the earth was without form & void. The work of creation continued in ernest till the sixth day(Friday). The last thing God created was man in His image & likeness; with a mandate to pilot the affairs of the earth. On the seventh day(saturday), God rested, blessed it & commanded it to be kept holy. Saturday was also regarded as the Sabbath day. In the days of Moses, a decree was released:"remember the sabbath day & keep it holy." Today, it is only the Seventh Day Adventis church that observed this obligation; the sabbath day(Saturday). Christians all over the world made their divine worship unto God on Sunday, except The Seventh Day Adventis Church. The questions now are: how was Sunday selected as a sacred day? Who released the decree? Is it in line with the scripture? Are the Seventh Day Adventis right? I've been pondering on this issue for quite a long time now. Moderators, please let the people debate on this, thanks.

Sunday is not sacred. That's where you got it bad
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by vooks: 1:02pm On Nov 22, 2015
plaetton:

Because Sun worship was the basis of designating Sunday as a special day in the Roman Empire, a practice the Roman founders of today's Christianity adopted for the sake of appeasing and synchronizing with the Pagan traditions of Rome.

Do not forget, that Christianity ,the Roman universal Church, or Roman Catholica, was a contrivance of convenience, a mish mash of beliefs, dogmas and traditions patched together, and meant to appeal to and unify all the disparate parts of the Roman Empire.

Fool, Sunday is not sacred, never was. Sunday meetings in all likelihood became a tradition seeing Jesus Christ resurrected on Sunday.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by plaetton: 1:13pm On Nov 22, 2015
vooks:

Fool, Sunday is not sacred, never was. Sunday meetings in all likelihood became a tradition seeing Jesus Christ resurrected on Sunday.

You know, vooks, I kinda respect you for your dogged fight against and mockery of Evangelical quackery and fraud.

But with posts like this, you fall my hand. undecided

Pls reread my post, read your post again, and see if you need to edit , rewrite or apologize.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 1:13pm On Nov 22, 2015
vooks:

Sunday is not sacred. That's where you got it bad
What would u call a day that is set aside to God for divine worship? Note that we work every day of de week except Sunday. If Sunday is not sacred, which day do u consider to be?
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by plaetton: 1:19pm On Nov 22, 2015
KelvinKelt:
What would u call a day that is set aside to God for divine worship? Note that we work every day of de week except Sunday. If Sunday is not sacred, which day do u consider to be?

Lol.
Who is we ?

But you buy things, you buy fuel, you consume electricity, you call the police, the ambulance, doctors, etc on Sundays when you need them.

For your information, majority of countries in the world conduct all commerce on Sundays.

Africans are just lazy, non-productive people. That's why you don't work on Sundays.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 1:22pm On Nov 22, 2015
vooks:

My dear, I got a clue of ur point that Sunday is selected by virtue of Christ resurrection on easter Sunday. A wonderful point u just raised but not enough for u to call ur fellow man: "fool." Remember that the holy scripture forbids this. Pls lets debate like matured ppl. Thanks for ur contribution.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by vooks: 1:22pm On Nov 22, 2015
KelvinKelt:

I would call it a day set aside to God for divine worship. There are no sacred days,weeks,months or years with God.

Since there is a great consensus on setting apart Sunday for fellowship, it is extremely expedient from me to set it apart for fellowship. Common sense. Compare it with market days. What benefits are associated with having a COMMON day for traders and buyers?

1 Like

Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 22, 2015
plaetton:

Lol. And the romans were not aware Saturday is also Saturn Day?
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by KelvinKelt(m): 1:33pm On Nov 22, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.
Who is we ?

But you buy things, you buy fuel, you consume electricity, you call the police, the ambulance, doctors, etc on Sundays when you need them.

For your information, majority of countries in the world conduct all commerce on Sundays.

Africans are just lazy, non-productive people. That's why you don't work on Sundays.
I salute ur point but if we are to by the original intent of God, it wasn't meant to be so. Works on sunday came as a result of western culture. The advancement in human knowledge has brought so much changes to the original intent of God. Remember the same ppl said man was not created by God, but rather, man evolved from a higher animal(gorilla). I see all these as a means of discrediting God's divine wisdom.
Re: How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? by vooks: 1:33pm On Nov 22, 2015
plaetton:

You know, vooks, I kinda respect you for your dogged fight against and mockery of Evangelical quackery and fraud.

But with posts like this, you fall my hand. undecided

Pls reread my post, read your post again, and see if you need to edit , rewrite or apologize.

Half of my adult life I have lived with philosophers and atheists and antitheists especially antiChristians, people who are addicted to throwing jabs at Christianity. Funny thing is I was one of them. It was never sufficient doubting Christians, I felt I had a duty to attack and confront them. You'd be surprised that my library has more of Dawkins and the likes.

So when I call you amateur, you should take that as a compliment or pure flattery

(1) (2) (Reply)

Republic Day 2016 Poems, Kavita In Hindi English For Kids / Atheists Are Possessed With Evil Spirits On Assignment / God Loves Sex, A Lot.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.