Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,388 members, 7,822,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Project Managers' Forum - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Project Managers' Forum (20346 Views)

Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers / For Engineers, Project Managers, Accountants, Designers and Programmers / Primavera(P6) Training For Project Managers And Planners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Project Managers' Forum by RuuDie(m): 5:53am On Sep 08, 2009
It appears Proj Mgt is quite relevant to just about every discipline imaginable. . . . i'm very much interested in taking a short at it - how do i get started? where can i get registered and stuffs like that?
Re: Project Managers' Forum by RuuDie(m): 5:57am On Sep 08, 2009
Avenir:

It might be easier to provide relevant advice if you can give a little more information about your professional background I mean what you're doing presently. For example, it might be easier for someone who is already working as an IT professional (in any capacity) to get into IT project management than someone who is not. Same thing goes for construction or any field for that matter. Please note that the above analogy is for someone getting into project management for the first time in UK (I don't know if same thing applies in Nigeria). That is not to say that there is no future in getting certified first and getting into project management later in a field where you have no background. The advice will be more specific if you're able to provide additional information.

Thats my particular point of interest, IT Proj Mgt cuz i currently work in an IT position.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Avenir(m): 9:17pm On Sep 11, 2009
RuuDie:

Thats my particular point of interest, IT Proj Mgt cuz i currently work in an IT position.

I'll use the words of Lawrence of Arabia
All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the morning to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people, for they dream their dreams with open eyes, and make them come true.

So go ahead and make it come true!
Re: Project Managers' Forum by tsupilot: 5:41am On Sep 13, 2009
I am very glad to see the Nigerian private sector embrace project mgmt to an extent. However it is safe to say that from several posts I have read alot of Nigerians are diving into this field only in response to the lucrative pay they hear Project managers earn. I have practiced project management for 6yrs and worked with more than 7 fortune 100 companies in the U.S on IT infrastructure projects

Alot of people that are project team members, sponsors or resources develop the desire to earn PMPs as it increases their skill level in delivering successful projects from initiation through closeout. It is very appalling to see several people advertising PMP training classes to people that are clueless about the art of project management. It requires 3-4yrs of direct project management involvement for a PMP certification to be on any relevance other than Nigerians looking to add another title to their names Dr, SAN, JP, Chief, PMP John Doe.

Please encourage people not to see this certification as only another source of earning a living but a prestigous career with tremendous opportunities that helps to redefine the way important needs to society are delivered in a disciplined manner.

Let's continue the conversations.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by ntuedor(m): 12:58pm On Sep 17, 2009
There is an opening in a well established company for a Project Finance Manager to be based in Lagos, Nigeria.

Interested and qualified persons shld email CV's to nequipsnigltd@gmail.com

Thanks.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by AfricaFace(f): 2:48pm On Sep 17, 2009
It's a great thing that we can have a common forum to share our knowledge.

Project management is a knowledge to acquire. sincerely, you will become a different person when you are done with it.

Prince 2 is a methodolgy commonly used in the UK. it will only teach you a method of managing project .If you have great zeal of going into project management and advancing into it, i wish you to go through Americam PMI project management , it's all encompassing. it's not discipline dependent, anybody can do it. if you ever follow the PM method and procedure to manage a project, your project will hardly fail.

The major problems ecountered in Project management which are Stakeholder identification, management has been fully dealt with in Edition four. for those of us that did edition 3, Try to revisit Edition 4, if you a PMI member , i am sure this book would have been sent you via Email.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by PMP: 8:19pm On Sep 29, 2009
Visit my Blog for free PM Certitification Mentoring.

http://ritetracpm..com
Re: Project Managers' Forum by PMSOLUTION: 6:55am On Sep 30, 2009
Join us for our october edition of 3 weekends PMP /CAPM training holding in Lagos Poly Vicinity from 10th Oct.

Call 07041196308, 08098833360
email:agilesolutionsc@yahoo.com

AGILE SOLUTIONS CONSULTING
Re: Project Managers' Forum by PMP: 12:04pm On Oct 02, 2009
I always love to share for your success.
Visit my blog - http://ritetracpm..com
for more information on the FREE PMP Exam Simulator Online.
100% Coverage of exam objectives guaranteed!If you need the Headfirst PMP 2nd Edition book covering the PMBOK 4TH Edition.
You can contact me on ritetracconsulting@gmail.com.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Aare1(m): 8:02am On Oct 04, 2009
Pls do not mean to derail this thread but can the PM's in the house be of help.
I am a lawyer whose has got his eye set on improving his resume, how can project management be of help in giving me the required career boost. Also been trying to download PMBOK 4th edition but i hav had no success in that, can anybody be of help by sending it to my box Presy.ng@gmail.com
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Aare1(m): 5:50pm On Oct 04, 2009
Aare 1:

Pls do not mean to derail this thread but can the PM's in the house be of help.
I am a lawyer whose has got his eye set on improving his resume, how can project management be of help in giving me the required career boost. Also been trying to download PMBOK 4th edition but i hav had no success in that, can anybody be of help by sending it to my box Presy.ng@gmail.com
sad
Re: Project Managers' Forum by afrinity: 10:25pm On Oct 04, 2009
Well, very lovely thread.

Let me first share my views by answering Aare1. Project Management is applicable in all industry, be it Construction, IT, Banking, Legal. Hence my advise to you is to do it. You never know where your next turn might be in life, or where the economy is taking us.

Secondly, I tried reading through the thread, or rather should I say browsing through and really my general feel is most people do not understand the difference between PMP and PRINCE2. (I am well aware that this thread is not for highlighting the differences but the challenges of PM's in Nigeria which I will come to very shortly, just bear with me). PMP is the certification received, whilst really it is PMBOK. Like the full meaning says, its a book of knowledge. Can be attributed to an "A-Z" - if you familiar with the UK system. And what A-Z is there for really is a guide that tells you different ways of arriving at your destination. Through your own knowledge and experience you tend to choose the quickest way of getting to your destination. For example, say you need to travel from Hertfordshire to East Croydon, and the A-Z suggests you take inner London route. Because you have done the journey before, you know that at that time of the day, its best to take the A-13, as there will be no traffic! So really PMBOK does not tell you how to get things done, its guides you.

PRINCE2 on the other hand is a methodology. Notice the word methodology! It tells you how to get things done with lots of standards and templates!. It tells you this is the way to do it! No contemplating, nothing!

Now considering this though, they both really COMPLEMENTS each other. If you really want to be serious in this profession, there is nothing wrong with studying both, and applying both knowledge in your day to day activities.

Now to challenges! Well I have had a good opportunity to work in the UK as a Project Manager for over 6 years. Started career really as a project support officer, and now can boldly say a Programme Manager.

But upon coming back home now, Project Management is a whole different kettle of fish - trust me.

The challenges I have experienced includes:

1) COMMUNICATION - especially with major stakeholders/ key decision makers
2) BUDGETING - now, you can plan and budget x,y,z for your project - the best ever, only for someone to come in at the end stage saying there is another contractor he/she would rather use regardless of cost. Now bear in mind that they were carried along throughout the planning stage!
3) In continuation of budgeting, my first project in Nigeria was really an eye opener. Imagine, used to motivating my team to work using different approach but never the money approach, and suddenly my team is refusing to work without me paying them something first! HA!!!
4) many many other challenges that will be shared soon.

In conclusion, project management in Nigeria is not the clear cut way abroad. You need to be able to adapt and manuever easily. If you ever try and attempt to manage projects the way it is written in the books here, trust me you ain't gonna go too far.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by fellabrims: 11:15am On Oct 05, 2009
Hi all,
Has anyone tried Torque Technologies, they are actually very good when it comes to PMP training. The fee is N95,000 with the hard copy of the 4th edition PMBOK or N80,000 without it.
Their Oct. training starts 10th of Oct. Two weekends.
For more details call: Vanessa on 01- 9536251 or 7943429.
And know out there that PMP is very, highly and essentially lucrative if you know your game.
To the guy that started this thread, You're the MAn! wink wink
Re: Project Managers' Forum by mrsb(f): 2:59pm On Oct 05, 2009
afrinity:

But upon coming back home now, Project Management is a whole different kettle of fish - trust me.

In conclusion, project management in Nigeria is not the clear cut way abroad. You need to be able to adapt and manuever easily. If you ever try and attempt to manage projects the way it is written in the books here, trust me you ain't gonna go too far.

@ Afrinity - You are sooooo right. I work with some multinationals on some pretty big greenfield projects in Nigeria and things are certainly not clear cut. Always need to be flexible and always expect the unexpected!! Cost and schedule - usually add 15% contingency. Stakeholders (esp Governmental ones) are bane of my existence. Governance is a mess, interfaces are impossible to map and all internal project leaders are total empire builders! Don't even get me started on lack of regard for risks and mitigation!!
Re: Project Managers' Forum by afrinity: 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2009
Ha! Risks and mitigation? That word doesn't exist in the dictionary shocked But gradually though with the likes of you and I, project management will go to the next level here in Nigeria and ultimately Africa.

But I wounder though, that the multinational companies are not sticking to their guns?
Re: Project Managers' Forum by ODESE: 10:31am On Oct 31, 2009
It is good to know that this thread I created is still wax strong.

ALL,

Project management methodologies need to be adapted to suit the local environment since cultures are different and that will alter your relationship,communication,stakeholder and resistance management approach.

I train project management in the UK and consult for the health and financial sectors and have since found that you cannot move from one sector let alone a country expecting projects to be run in the same manner.

I advise my students to go and learn how change had been implemented by experienced members of that environment and that would serve as a template for successful delivery in that setting.

Factors that must be considered is culture.

For example dealing with foreigners that have no regard for black people or let alone have no respect for you is enough reason to put one off managing projects in that environment but a PM is tenacious and understands the interests of the stakeholders . A PM Understand the individuals that stand to lose from the change or stand to gain from the change.

Resistance management is no worse than it is in the UK or US. Any stakeholder that stands to lose from the change will show no regard for processes and will do everything in their power to resist the change. It is the job of a PM to go and investigate and enlighten the resisting stakeholder on what they will. (PM -Negotiation skills)

PM's should remember that they are managing scape goats and facilitators aid them to get the glory or take the blame, so treat facilitators like colleagues and stop trying to throw your weight around. Communicate the objective of your project clearly and how it adds value to the organisation Ignoring some of these basic principles which are not taught in a PM training class are reasons that some PM's in Nigeria fail to deliver.

You have no excuse whatsoever if a project fails under your watch as a PM.

I am currently consulting for a gas plant construction in Nigeria and have found these issues with project managers that I manage.

Do not blame Nigeria if you have problems managing projects properly in that environment. You have no excuse as a project manager.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by basking4me: 9:54am On Nov 02, 2009
@ Mrsb,

Your mention of risk and migitation for Nigerian projects really made me laugh. The system is BENT and you as a project professional will Straighten it.

I believe that as more of our activities are projectised, the more the Functional guys and stakeholders/sponsors begin to appreciate the authority they place on the project managers and their teams.

I am of very strong belief that Project Management will very much change the way things are done in this country. We need first for government to accept this methodologies by implementing them in the conduct of projects for the nation and things will surely get better.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by ceecee(m): 11:04pm On Jan 02, 2010
Dear all,

I am student doing MSc.Project Management in uk.

Am about to start My MSc Dissertation.

I would like you to assist me in selecting a topic from the followings:

1.Project Management:Technical expertise or process.

2.The strategic role of communication in a cross-cultural project team.

3.Critical success factors of international devepment project management.

4.The effect of risk analysis on the delivery of overseas development projects
Re: Project Managers' Forum by PMP: 5:37pm On Jan 06, 2010
Happy new year to you all!
see attached my new e-book titled Learn Project Management N1,999!

Re: Project Managers' Forum by ascete911: 11:20am On Apr 27, 2010
Ajanle koko, pls can u help out with info and materials i culd use to pass d pmp exam and how can i get d book from Rita and d 4th edition pmbok. my email is ascete911@yahoo.com.tanx in advance
Re: Project Managers' Forum by saafudma: 4:19pm On Oct 05, 2011
I am an Engineer with over 5 yrs work experience. I will recommend PRINCE2.
My choice is for somebody wih no management background. It makes a great deal of sense.
I just wrote my foundation exams and i tell you i am good to go on practitional.
I recommend www.harrybakerprofessional.com
He is the only accredited trainer in Nigeria, others will bring in experts.
Check with the fees charged.

All the best in your endeavour
Re: Project Managers' Forum by boloase(m): 6:56pm On Oct 06, 2011
This forum is quite enlightenin. I'm a certified project manager. But i realy dnt knw where to start. Pls in need sm advice on hw to go & posibly a link. Thanks
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Shebs(m): 1:06pm On Oct 08, 2011
Call 07063968047 for ONE-ON-ONE PRIMAVERA P3, P6, MS PROJECT 2000-2007, AND RISKYLITE 3.2 (Risk Analysis) TRAINING.

CERTIFIED INTERNATIONAL PROJECT MANAGER CIPM
MASTER PROJECT MANAGER MPM
CERTIFIED PLANNING ENGINEER CPE
PROJECT MANAGEMENT E-BUSINESS (IT-FOCUS)
@
SHEBS-TECH GLOBAL LIMITED
3,AWOLOWO WAY,3RD FLOOR,LEFT WING, IKEJA, LAGOS. OR 38, SHIRO STREET, 1ST FLOOR, FADEYI BUS STOP, LAGOS. OR SCHOOL OF COMPUTER, MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ILORIN, KWARA STATE cool
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Delebayo(m): 4:11pm On Oct 29, 2011
I am an HND graduate in Accounting from Yabatech, I have worked for three years in an airline industry. I wish to diversify my career. So am planning to sit for the PMP exams in Jan 2012. I have already attended class.

I need help as to what material to study, and where to get relavant material online or else where.

Thanks
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Shebs(m): 10:07am On Nov 01, 2011
If you need a material to read for the exam, I could help with materials to read PMP 5th Edition (revised version of PMBOK 4th edition) for a token. call 07063968047 for the material.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by boloase(m): 10:29am On Dec 15, 2011
Thanx man for starting dis thread. Its quite informative. I am a certified project manager, but no experience, i want to know how i can gaib experience to enable me handle major projects. Your assistance and suggestions will b highly welcome. Tanx in hopin. [b][/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Do You Really Love to Do? / Globacom Sacks 54 Engineers / Julius Berger Sacks 120 Staff Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.