Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,525 members, 7,770,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:26 AM

My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? (4948 Views)

Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO / HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by donx66(m): 10:26am On May 23, 2009
pls can someone help me, i have a nissan premera which came with electric carburator, i was told to convert it to a manual carb which I did since then, my car has been consuming fuel. my mechanic then adviced me to change the engineto a 1.6 nissan engine. can anyone advise me.
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by TouaregV8(m): 1:20pm On May 23, 2009
WHY O WHY did you convert your vehicle? And WHO advised you to do so?
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by donx66(m): 2:04pm On May 26, 2009
TouaregV18 my bros na my mechanic tell me ohoooooooooooooooo
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by egolaw75: 2:17pm On May 26, 2009
i have a nissan premera 2.0 and i have been using it for the past 4 years; i don't consume more fuel. whoever advice you to change to 1.6 does not know much about it.

I will advice you change the engine completely to 2.0(get a good engine)
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by donx66(m): 3:01pm On May 26, 2009
thanks, so how do i get the genuie 2.0 engine to buy. pls help me out!
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by egolaw75: 3:10pm On May 26, 2009
Pls go to ladipo with a good mechanic
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by donx66(m): 9:25am On May 27, 2009
ego thanks, my engine was overhauled 4months ago, can i replace the caburetor with a new electric caburetor? pls help me to confirm the price for this items, or the price of a 2.0 engine. I presently stay in warri.
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by Kafin(m): 2:53am On May 28, 2009
? ? ? lipsrsealed
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by sultaan(m): 6:28pm On May 28, 2009
Game over, consider all the money you spent as fees for lesson, now its time to pay fees for education.
When you say consuming fuel, do you mean you can smell it from your muffler/engine, or see more smoke when you start in morning, or just more than you expect.
Try this, fill your tank past half mark, when you get back to half mark, add 20 litre of fuel, reset your trip(or write your odometer) then drive back down to half way and see how far you have gone with 20 litres(you can try from 3/4 tank).Those who have the same car will tell you if its ok

I have no idea what you/your mechanic calls electric carburetor, but if it is EFI, we can still salvage this situation.you may have to get a more capable hand.

Read these links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection

He must have replaced your fuel injector with a carburetor.(problem with old school and newer cars)

Your initial problem could have been caused by a couple of things.

If you removed your thermostat
dirty fuel injectors
Bad oxygen sensor
bad spark plugs, incomplete combustion

dirty throttle body(butterfly valve and IAC is covered with soot)

You may have to get your old parts cleaned out,new injectors(4)

Midas02 or Siena will tell you the rest
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by Kafin(m): 10:32pm On May 28, 2009
Some electronic motors and sensors were first added to the carburetor to improve its performance over the original vacuum operated concept. This was before EFI.

He mentioned in another post that he is a CAT expert!!!, why would someone with such a skillset be approving a mechanic's advice to replace an electronic-carburetor with a standard type?? What will happen to all the control signals that the electronic unit is sending to, and expecting from the carburetor??

Before you can start troubleshooting any issues, you will need to replace the electronic-carburetor, and move on from there.
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by airaza: 1:51am On Sep 12, 2009
oops sorry you took such an advice ,he probably asked you to do it cos ,he didnt know how to work an electric carburetor,mine wasnt an electric carburetor but my car was malfunctioning,it took a product introduced to me by a friend to save the car now i cant do without My NULON PSO,can be scarce sometimes but with there recent introduction of door to door delivery its been easy,Here's d link www.nulon247.com
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by jolaogun(m): 10:29pm On Sep 18, 2009
I advise you to get a good mechanic and go to Ladipo and get it all fixed, it's a wonderful car cos dat's what I drive MEANWHILE if you have anybody interested in the same type of car, I have a newly brought in 96 PRIMERA 2.0 SLX, A.C, ALLOY RIM, POWERED BUTTONS etc in great shape. You can come for inspection . my number is 08028552222
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 02, 2009
Converting a single-point injected car to a carburettor is a bad move.

The Primera SPI comes with an ECU, which by all accounts is only controlling ignition. It no longer has any control over fuel delivery.

How is the lambda sond working now, with most of the fuel system changed? Of course the car's going to be incredibly thirsty! I get really mad when folk just take ill advice, just because a "mechanic" says it's gospel!

Converting to a 1,6L won't solve your car's thirst for petrol. The "conversion" needs to be reversed, hopefully by someone who knows what they're doing.
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by jerryland: 1:24pm On Nov 02, 2009
@All, am not a mechanic but my first car was the Nissan Primera 2.0 with electric carburator. I drove the car for 4years at a point my mech told me to change to a 1.6 engine, but it was all guess work, or what they are used to.

The Electirc Carburator does really well. The Luck I had was with my first mechanic who told me that NO ONE should be allowed to touch the electric caburator, I only used the carburato cleaner to remove soots. And for 4 years no one did. Cos, once that is touched, the problem begins. It was a bad move to touch/change the carburator

You should have additional reasons to change the engine, as advised, go to Ladipo with a good mech and get all fixed.

Wish you the best!
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by jamerchant: 2:02pm On Mar 27, 2010
donx66:

pls can someone help me, i have a nissan premera which came with electric carburator, i was told to convert it to a manual carb which I did since then, my car has been consuming fuel. my mechanic then adviced me to change the engineto a 1.6 nissan engine. can anyone advise me.

Welcome

Just Automobile and Merchanting is your link to the automotive world. By browsing the Web site you can not only educate yourself about cars, but also find local dealers. Before ever heading out the door, you can answer almost any question you may have. Remembered, you don't want to go to the dealership until you're really ready.

With our team of qualified, experienced and tested professionals, Automerchantnig has over the years been able to win and satisfactorily execute mandates.

Contact

OFFICE ADDRESS

Ground Floor, LAMLAT HOUSE

270 Ikorodu Road Obanikoro

Lagos Nigeria.

http://www.automerchanting.com/

sales@automerchanting.com

Yahoo Messenger: Automerchantnig

Telephone: 07039806000
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by Trac: 8:51pm On Apr 16, 2011
Interesting!
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by yemivictor: 9:48pm On Oct 31, 2011
Kafin:

Some electronic motors and sensors were first added to the carburetor to improve its performance over the original vacuum operated concept. This was before EFI.

He mentioned in another post that he is a CAT expert!!!, why would someone with such a skillset be approving a mechanic's advice to replace an electronic-carburetor with a standard type?? What will happen to all the control signals that the electronic unit is sending to, and expecting from the carburetor??

Before you can start troubleshooting any issues, you will need to replace the electronic-carburetor, and move on from there.

i'm afraid i may have fallen victim to this bad advice from a poorly trained mechanic, as well. i feel so ashamed of my self.

i only hope it is not too late to revert to the electric carburetor of my newly bought engine
Re: My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? by fm7070: 5:12pm On Aug 13, 2014
Change back to that electric carburetor.
I used that car before. Very good with the electric carburetor.
Just that when the engine starts fucking up, change it with another tokunbo. the engine is not so expensive. Should be around 55k except mechanic wan chop you.

(1) (Reply)

Kia Rio And Hyundai Accent Auto Guru Pls Advice Me On One To Buy. Its Urgent / Am I Spending Too Much On My New Car? / How Much Is This Honda Civic 1996

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.