Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:10 AM

Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages (5081 Views)

Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage / Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly / Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by aoshi: 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2016
Please I need some suggestions/ideas on possible causes and remedies for a Camry 2007 having oil shortages without any visible leakages.
A mechanic has suggested I change the engine that the pistons might be weak. Mileage is about 150k though.
I need second or more opinions.
Thanks

cc
Gazzuzz
Kashif
honmusa
cardoctor
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:43pm On Nov 14, 2016
what oil do you currently use?
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by aoshi: 4:44am On Nov 15, 2016
i use mobil xhp. Recently serviced it before a trip to Benin and back to PH
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by honmusa(m): 5:37am On Nov 15, 2016
aoshi:
The recommended engine oil for your car is 5W30 not Mobil xhp that is 20w50 .Use of XHp over the years might have cause worn out of piston ring ,or valve assembly which is the reason for shorting of oil cos the oil is actually going inside your combustion chamber.
Go for compression test to verify this .
If you are in Lagos and you need to do this test ,call autologic @08061166316
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:59am On Nov 15, 2016
aoshi:

2AZ has known oil short issues with recommended grade of oil at high mileage . Using expensive 5w30 will not help in your case. Your engine is spent, if I were in your shoes use CEPSA 20W50 until I can afford to get another engine.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by aoshi: 10:49am On Nov 15, 2016
honmusa:

The recommended engine oil for your car is 5W30 not Mobil xhp that is 20w50 .Use of XHp over the years might have cause worn out of piston ring ,or valve assembly which is the reason for shorting of oil cos the oil is actually going inside your combustion chamber.
Go for compression test to verify this .
If you are in Lagos and you need to do this test ,call autologic @08061166316
Many thanks for your response.
However, would the use of the recommended 5W30 oil put a stop to the oil shortages?
I reside in PH, please what is the average cost of this compression test?
Thanks again
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by aoshi: 10:52am On Nov 15, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

2AZ has known oil short issues with recommended grade of oil at high mileage . Using expensive 5w30 will not help in your case. Your engine is spent, if I were in your shoes use CEPSA 20W50 until I can afford to get another engine.
Would the CEPSA 20W50 put a stop or mitigate the oil shortage damages?
Bottom line of what I get you are saying is that I should start saving for a new engine, right?
How much would a new engine cost me (4 cylinder)?
Many thanks again.
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:45pm On Nov 15, 2016
aoshi:

Would the CEPSA 20W50 put a stop or mitigate the oil shortage damages?
Bottom line of what I get you are saying is that I should start saving for a new engine, right?
How much would a new engine cost me (4 cylinder)?
Many thanks again.

MY price 300k
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by aoshi: 4:25pm On Nov 15, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

MY price 300k
Oga GAZZUZZ
I asked 3 questions o.
You only answered the monetary one. LOL.
Does this 300k cover installation et al?
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:00pm On Nov 15, 2016
aoshi:

Oga GAZZUZZ
I asked 3 questions o.
You only answered the monetary one. LOL.
Does this 300k cover installation et al?

in many cases Cepsa is very good for oil shortage. And yes you should be looking at a new engine long term.

The price is for engine only.
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by senola1: 10:22pm On Nov 22, 2016
What is the essence of getting another AZ engine that he is not sure woulr start having oil shortages from day 1. Afterall they are all AZ engines for the 07 model.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by autotrader2: 7:55am On Nov 23, 2016
senola1:
What is the essence of getting another AZ engine that he is not sure woulr start having oil shortages from day 1. Afterall they are all AZ engines for the 07 model.

Using the recommended OEM oil would save you all these hassles.

@aoshi, maybe you should try the recommended Toyota OEM oil before thinking of buying a new engine. Since you are in PH, you can get it sameday at the discounted rate. Call 09086679585
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:04am On Nov 23, 2016
autotrader2:

Using the recommended OEM oil would save you all these hassles.

@aoshi, maybe you should try the recommended Toyota OEM oil before thinking of buying a new engine. Since you are in PH, you can get it sameday at the discounted rate. Call 09086679585

Very bad idea. The engine is already burning 20w50 engine oil, what do you think will happen if he pours thinner oil into engine?

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by cyberX: 8:31am On Nov 23, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Very bad idea. The engine is already burning 20w50 engine oil, what do you think will happen if he pours thinner oil into engine?
Gazzuz is right. I drive a 2007 Camry with the same issue and I've had to for a year. This oil shortage is a well known problem for some models..you can look it up online. As Gazzuz advised, you should plan to change the engine in the nearest future or top up oil as required.
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by autotrader2: 9:25am On Nov 23, 2016
cyberX:

Gazzuz is right. I drive a 2007 Camry with the same issue and I've had to for a year. This oil shortage is a well known problem for some models..you can look it up online. As Gazzuz advised, you should plan to change the engine in the nearest future or top up oil as required.

He might be right. However, I'm not convinced the oil shortage is a factory defect in the '07 Camry. I think its the abuse the owners subject the engines to. I think its a cheaper alternative to try the recommended oil before thinking of outrightly buying a new engine. Besides, till you actually examine the engine you can never know for sure if the OP is actually giving the right diagnosis
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by kingreign(m): 9:54am On Nov 23, 2016
autotrader2:

He might be right. However, I'm not convinced the oil shortage is a factory defect in the '07 Camry. I think its the abuse the owners subject the engines to. I think its a cheaper alternative to try the recommended oil before thinking of outrightly buying a new engine. Besides, till you actually examine the engine you can never know for sure if the OP is actually giving the right diagnosis

It is a manufacturers defect. Infact, that engine is way to defective to be called a Toyota product. undecided

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by autotrader2: 10:00am On Nov 23, 2016
kingreign:

It is a manufacturers defect. Infact, that engine is way to defective to be called a Toyota product. undecided

Ok. What you just posted here is enough to just write down the value of all the 07 Camrys in the market grin

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by kingreign(m): 10:03am On Nov 23, 2016
You wan give dealers and car owners heart attack shey?

autotrader2:

Ok. What you just posted here is enough to just write down the value of all the 07 Camrys in the market grin

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:47am On Nov 23, 2016
replacement toks engines should be JAPANES specs only. Much better build quality.
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by mayor2013: 11:20am On Nov 23, 2016
This one na gobe o. 1 qt of oil every 1200 miles shocked
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by aoshi: 2:09pm On Nov 23, 2016
cyberX:

many thanks on this.
Based on your experience, you do top the oil with the 20W50 or the CEPSA as recommended by GAZZUZZ?
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by cyberX: 7:46pm On Nov 23, 2016
aoshi:

many thanks on this.
Based on your experience, you do top the oil with the 20W50 or the CEPSA as recommended by GAZZUZZ?
I actually use total 15w50 and I always have to top up every month. I'm looking for a better solution myself
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:25pm On Nov 23, 2016
cyberX:

I actually use total 15w 50 and I always have to top up every month. I'm looking for a better solution myself

Same grade with Cepsa.

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Buy An Automatic Compressor For My Camry 2008? / Pictures of Chinese Automobiles Copied From Other Brands / Copart Vs Auction Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.