Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. (1967 Views)

Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON / 7 Reasons Why Car Jerks When Accelerating / Car Not Accelerating Fast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 7:41am On Nov 23, 2015
My sister drove out but on her way back, the car just seized accelerating and the headlights went off completely(11:20pm). she managed it home like that but I have no clue as to what the problem might be. please anyone with indept knowledge should please help out.....

one more thing..... I checked the engine oil and found NON meaning it hasn't been checked in a long long time..... I just hope lack of oil is what has caused it not to accelerate...

Please.... all the car Gurus here should help me out..... Thanks....
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:06am On Nov 23, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
My sister drove out but on her way back, the car just seized accelerating and the headlights went off completely(11:20pm). she managed it home like that but I have no clue as to what the problem might be. please anyone with indept knowledge should please help out.....

one more thing..... I checked the engine oil and found NON meaning it hasn't been checked in a long long time..... I just hope lack of oil is what has caused it not to accelerate...

Please.... all the car Gurus here should help me out..... Thanks....

Explain not accelerating? Because there is no way the car would have made it home.
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:09am On Nov 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Explain not accelerating? Because there is no way the car would have made it home.
when you floor the accelerator, it doesn't accelerate. put it on drive and it just rolls. it doesn't even rev.... it just moves very slow.
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:13am On Nov 23, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
when you floor the accelerator, it doesn't accelerate. put it on drive and it just rolls. it doesn't even rev.... it just moves very slow.

Take a pic of the engine
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:27am On Nov 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Take a pic of the engine
this is it

Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:51am On Nov 23, 2015
Is it an electronic throttle body or does it use throttle cable?
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 10:04am On Nov 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
honestly I don't know..... how can I find out which?
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by mayor2013: 10:08am On Nov 23, 2015
What do you mean by you checking engine oil you found none? If this statement was true your engine should be knocked by now. Just go run a scan on your car
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:22am On Nov 23, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
honestly I don't know..... how can I find out which?
I might be unavailable online for a while (2-3hrs) so go the foot well and look at the accelerator pedal and check if it has several wires attached to it or just one single cable (like the brake lines of a bicycle) if it has several wires, check the connectors of the pic attached and be sure they are firm and pins not corroded, also remove the battery terminal, wait 5mins and replace.

Now if you see just a single cable, trace it to the throttle cable and ensure that pressing the throttle on the inside corresponds to the butterfly opening in the throttle body/ movement of the cable on the throttle body.

Good luck.
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 10:23am On Nov 23, 2015
mayor2013:
What do you mean by you checking engine oil you found none? If this statement was true your engine should be knocked by now. Just go run a scan on your car
as in no oil..... the sound also changed.
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 10:27am On Nov 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
I might be unavailable online for a while (2-3hrs) so go the foot well and look at the accelerator pedal and check if it has several wires attached to it or just one single cable (like the brake lines of a bicycle) if it has several wires, check the connectors of the pic attached and be sure they are firm and pins not corroded, also remove the battery terminal, wait 5mins and replace.

Now if you see just a single cable, trace it to the throttle cable and ensure that pressing the throttle on the inside corresponds to the butterfly opening in the throttle body/ movement of the cable on the throttle body.

Good luck.
alright bro.... thanks soon much..... I'll get back to you...
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by mayor2013: 11:00am On Nov 23, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
as in no oil..... the sound also changed.

That's serious. Meaning there is a leakage some where or your oil is drying up. Go by what Gazzuzz said and if nothing positive. Next step is to run a comprehensive scan
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:04am On Nov 23, 2015
mayor2013:

That's serious. Meaning there is a leakage some where or your oil is drying up. Go by what Gazzuzz said and if nothing positive. Next step is to run a comprehensive scan
alright.... thanks...
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:05am On Nov 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
it is an electronic throttle... seems kinda firm too...
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:04pm On Nov 23, 2015
Pour engine oil into the engine, start and check for leaks or white smoke on tail pipe.

Yyou do not need to be told that an engine requires lubrication (engine oil) to run properly
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 5:07pm On Nov 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Pour engine oil into the engine, start and check for leaks or white smoke on tail pipe.

Yyou do not need to be told that an engine requires lubrication (engine oil) to run properly
yea sure.... I know oil is supposed to be replaced every 3 months.... thing is I guess she forgot asper its been a while I reminded her to do so..... done it for her sha but I'm still at a loss for the throttle.
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:26pm On Nov 23, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
yea sure.... I know oil is supposed to be replaced every 3 months.... thing is I guess she forgot asper its been a while I reminded her to do so..... done it for her sha but I'm still at a loss for the throttle.

Ok let's go deep ready? Location of vehicle?
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Ok let's go deep ready? Location of vehicle?
Agungi off Lekki-epe express way
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:07pm On Nov 23, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Agungi off Lekki-epe express way

Call me. 08023251039
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:46pm On Nov 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Call me. 08023251039
alright.... I will tomorrow.... I no know why my network recharge scarce for here today....
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:00pm On Nov 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
FIXED FIXED FIXED..... cheesy. turns out it was the throttle fuse.... I figured if both headlights and the throttle stopped working at dsame time, and the lights worked after I changed the fuse then same was the issue with the throttle since the headlights and throttle fuses re located side by side in a different fuse box.... Car is back to normal...... thanks so much for your time GAZZUZZ....
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:11pm On Nov 24, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
FIXED FIXED FIXED..... cheesy. turns out it was the throttle fuse.... I figured if both headlights and the throttle stopped working at dsame time, and the lights worked after I changed the fuse then same was the issue with the throttle since the headlights and throttle fuses re located side by side in a different fuse box.... Car is back to normal...... thanks so much for your time GAZZUZZ....

Question. Why did the fuse get blown?
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 2:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Question. Why did the fuse get blown?
She said the battery tripped so some random guy helped her put it back in n when she turned on the car, headlights . throttle stopped working... I guess in the course of puttn it back, there was a power surge that might have blown the fuses.... I have also tightened the battery noose...
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:01pm On Nov 24, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
She said the battery tripped so some random guy helped her put it back in n when she turned on the car, headlights . throttle stopped working... I guess in the course of puttn it back, there was a power surge that might have blown the fuses.... I have also tightened the battery noose...

They installed the batt in the wrong direction at first. Please buy new fuses for the ones that were burnt out, and do not use a wire, so than in future you will still be lucky to get a way with a burnt fuse if this happens again.
Re: HELP... 2004 Rav4 Not Accelerating. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:21pm On Nov 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

They installed the batt in the wrong direction at first. Please buy new fuses for the ones that were burnt out, and do not use a wire, so than in future you will still be lucky to get a way with a burnt fuse if this happens again.
alright ...... I will.... thanks so much.... I really do appreciate...

(1) (Reply)

Automotive Training / The Hyundai Logo Actually Means Much More Than You Think!!! / Issue With My Toyota Highlander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.