Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,698 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON (2146 Views)

Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? / My Engine Goes Off When A/C Is Switched On / 2004 Acura Mdx (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 7:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
Recently, My Brother's car started this overheating issue whenever the A.C is turned on.
He consulted two mechanics and they both gave different suggestions.
The first Mech said it is the water pump, that it is very likely it is faulty cos he checked the engine while idling with A.C ON, he opened the bonnet and opened the radiator cap, the water in the radiator shot out as the engine grew hot, he said that is abnormal, that the water should be circulating instead.

The other mechanic said the car radiator would have to be changed cos its single cell and the weather here is too hot, that's why it has grown weak within a year of usage on naija soil.

Abeg wetin una advice o

cc Gazzuzz, timifakay
Mayor2013, and all the other demeanors
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by nurey(m): 9:32pm On Apr 04, 2018
adebobconed:
Recently, My Brother's car started this overheating issue whenever the A.C is turned on.
The first Mech said it is the water pump, that it is very likely it is faulty cos he checked the engine while idling with A.C ON, he opened the bonnet and opened the radiator cap, the water in the radiator shot out as the engine grew hot, he said that is abnormal, that the water should be circulating instead.

The other mechanic said the car radiator would have to be changed cos its single cell and the weather here is too hot, that's why it has grown weak within a year of usage on naija soil.

Abeg wetin una advice o

cc Gazzuzz, timifakay
Mayor2013, and all the other demeanors

the second mechanic that says change radiator will make your brother change car unexpectedly, he will destroy that car

the one that says pump is on to something but hanst done the required diagnosis, he needs to

confirm the thermostat isn't bad by removing and doing the hot water test

also check to make sure air isn't in your cooling system

if the car has 2 fan setup, he should check and make sure the second fan comes on (spins) when the AC is switched on whether engine is cold or not.

ensure you aren't running water in the cooling system, as water won't be able to dissipate heat from the engine which coolant would do well.

1 Like

Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by timifakay(m): 9:39pm On Apr 04, 2018
adebobconed:

Abeg wetin una advice o

cc Gazzu,zz, Tim,ifakay
Mayo,r2013, and all the other demeanors

He hasn't found a mechanic yet oh.
He should put coolant in the system.
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by sultaan(m): 9:47pm On Apr 04, 2018
OP from your description of the problem, We need you to tell us where the needle on the thermometer is when you say overheats and have you tried to wash the outside of the radiator fins with soap and water
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 6:10am On Apr 05, 2018
sultaan:
OP from your description of the problem, We need you to tell us where the needle on the thermometer is when you say overheats and have you tried to wash the outside of the radiator fins with soap and water

The needle rises from middle to the red zone(maximum )
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 6:20am On Apr 05, 2018
nurey:

the second mechanic that says change radiator will make your brother change car unexpectedly, he will destroy that car

the one that says pump is on to something but hanst done the required diagnosis, he needs to

confirm the thermostat isn't bad by removing and doing the hot water test

also check to make sure air isn't in your cooling system

if the car has 2 fan setup, he should check and make sure the second fan comes on (spins) when the AC is switched on whether engine is cold or not.

ensure you aren't running water in the cooling system, as water won't be able to dissipate heat from the engine which coolant would do well.

The thermostat was removed immediately the car entered naija (before he bought it) but it was kept in the car, so I picked it and did the hot water test, it passed (opened and closed properly), the fans were both connected direct ever since they removed the thermostat too.

I think we'll have to fix the overheating and return system to factory specs then.

I have the service manual but any other help or advice is welcome.

Thanks a lot bro
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 6:28am On Apr 05, 2018
timifakay:

He hasn't found a mechanic yet oh. He should put coolant in the system.
okay, what brand of coolant do you recommend sir ?
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by autologic: 7:16am On Apr 05, 2018
adebobconed:

okay,
what brand of coolant do you recommend sir ?
Don't waste money on coolant yet ,resolve the issue first then u can add coolant .
You need to provide answer to this question .
1.Have you taken step to wash the radiator first cos if it is clogged with dirt ,engine temperature will increase with load unnecessarily
2.Does the level of water in the radiator goes down wen u check every morning ,if so this mean there is leak and leak will introduce air into the system
3.what about the direction of the fan
4.when do u get this overheating ?high speed or at idle
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by mayor2013: 8:08am On Apr 05, 2018
Don't buy any coolant first until you solve the problem temporarily use water as a troubleshooting process for how many coolant do you want to buy like someone who bought transmission fluid worth of 180k grin Also carry out a coolant pressure test. There could be a leak somewhere (external or internal) good luck
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by nurey(m): 9:37am On Apr 05, 2018
adebobconed:

The thermostat was removed immediately the car entered naija (before he bought it) but it was kept in the car, so I picked it and did the hot water test, it passed (opened and closed properly), the fans were both connected direct ever since they removed the thermostat too.

I think we'll have to fix the overheating and return system to factory specs then.

I have the service manual but any other help or advice is welcome.

Thanks a lot bro

your solution is simple, cooling system has been tampered with you need to first reverse back to specs, connect fans as they are, fix back the thermostat since you can vouch it is working, then use coolant please don't use water total coolant is 400 naira for a litre, 5 to 8L should be enough.

then run the car in three cycles watching out for
1. blue smoke from tail pipe
2. bubbles when radiator cap is removed and engine is still cold.
3. reduction in coolant level, check the radiator direct for 2days, the remaining days you use the reserve tank to confirm.

if you don't notice any of the 3 points and the temp needle sits in the middle whether AC is on or not, then you have nothing to worry about. but if any of the 3 is noticed then you need to fix whatever is causing it to avoid engine loss.
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by AutoElectNG: 11:14am On Apr 05, 2018
It does not overheat when there is no AC
It overheats when there is AC

AC places increased load on the system, more load means more heat, more heat to be dissipated places increased load on the devices meant to achieve that outcome.

It could be electrical - the fans are not doing a good job of taking away the heat, been there done that.

It could be mechanical - Water pump, thermostat, radiator, radiator cap, hoses, restricted air flow from debris.

Get someone who knows what to do to go through the system and do the needful.

See also https://www.nairaland.com/4096024/car-acting-funny#61106260
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by AutoElectNG: 3:49am On Apr 10, 2018
This was the thread I actually wanted to refer you to, my bad

https://www.nairaland.com/4090771/toyota-corolla-over-heats-only/3#61161031

With the logical explanation laid there, you should know what next to do
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by RZArecta2(m): 7:49am On Apr 10, 2018
AutoElectNG:

he says thermostat was removed and fans were connected directly to the battery while only water is used as coolant
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by AutoElectNG: 8:19am On Apr 10, 2018
RZArecta2:
he says thermostat was removed and fans were connected directly to the battery while only water is used as coolant

In my personal experience of all the factors listed, it is the inability of the fans to step up speed to address the increased heat evacuation requirements of A/C operation that caused your problem.

Even without A/C operation, in slow moving traffic, a vehicle with such configuration has a tendency to overheat due to the absence of ram air.

Have those problems been addressed
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by autologic: 9:01am On Apr 10, 2018
RZArecta2:
Vehicle location?
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 10:42am On Apr 10, 2018
nurey:

your solution is simple, cooling system has been tampered with you need to first reverse back to specs, connect fans as they are, fix back the thermostat since you can vouch it is working, then use coolant please don't use water total coolant is 400 naira for a litre, 5 to 8L should be enough.

then run the car in three cycles watching out for
1. blue smoke from tail pipe
2. bubbles when radiator cap is removed and engine is still cold.
3. reduction in coolant level, check the radiator direct for 2days, the remaining days you use the reserve tank to confirm.

if you don't notice any of the 3 points and the temp needle sits in the middle whether AC is on or not, then you have nothing to worry about. but if any of the 3 is noticed then you need to fix whatever is causing it to avoid engine loss.

Thanks a lot nurey
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 10:46am On Apr 10, 2018
autologic:
Vehicle location?
Akure, Ondo State
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 10:49am On Apr 10, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Thanks Bro
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 10:50am On Apr 10, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Thanks Bro
I'll check it out asap
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by Inception(m): 11:21am On Apr 10, 2018
First thing first...

Check your cooling fans.
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by adebobconed(m): 2:13pm On Apr 14, 2018
Inception:
First thing first...

Check your cooling fans.

In my opinion, cooling fans are working fine bro
they are blowing well, spinning very fast and are blowing inwards.
I tried inspecting some hoses in the cooling system while engine was idling and the A/C was on; as the A/C was cooling, the lower radiator hose gradually got warm but it later became hot to the touch, temperature gauge rose to near middle mark too.
I stopped engine when I discovered the lower radiator hose was getting hot

No visible leakage observed in cooling system too
Re: Help 2004 Acura MDX Overheats When The A.C Is Turned ON by AutoElectNG: 2:33pm On Apr 14, 2018
adebobconed:

In my opinion, cooling fans are working fine bro
they are blowing well, spinning very fast and are blowing inwards.

I tried inspecting some hoses in the cooling system while engine was idling and the A/C was on; as the A/C was cooling, the lower radiator hose gradually got warm but it later became hot to the touch, temperature gauge rose to near middle mark too.
I stopped engine when I discovered the lower radiator hose was getting hot

No visible leakage observed in cooling system too

Bolded can be confirmed by monitoring coolant temperature value with a scan tool with A/C in operation. What you have said is conjecture or subjective. You will see temperatures go above or close to 240 degrees and then will be rediced by increased fan speeds to about 175 to 195 or 210 depending on the vehicle if everything is ok.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Won't Start / Running AC In Your Car Doesn't Use Additional ⛽ Fuel. / Multiple Car Pile-up On The M5 - 27 Vehicles Involved, Several Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.