Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? (9350 Views)

I Received N740 Thousand Naira In My Bank Account Instead Of N370 Thousand Naira / Why Are Banks Not Opened Today? / I Got Defrauded By My Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by gudtime4us: 1:25pm On May 25, 2009
A very unpleasant thing happened to me on Tuesday, two weeks ago. I went to the ATM to get some money from the vey little I had in my account. I placed my order but what I got instead of the money was ' you have insufficient fund in your account'. I called my bank (UBA) immediately to get details of my account and I was told that I had withdrawn all the money I had the previous day from the ATM at Ibro hotel, Abuja. Never been to the hotel!!

That was when it dawned on me that I had been robbed. How they did it still remains a mystery to me 'cos nobody ever had access to my ATM card. But the same card was said to be used in withdrawing every kobo from my account. Too bad, especially for someone who is still struggling without a steady job. I have written to the bank and they say they are investigating the matter. What is the world turning to? What is becoming of this country? Why do the helpless and innocent continue to be cheated? Why me?? Untll it happened to me, I never knew such a thing could be possible.

Is the bank or the ATM safe afterall??
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by donjazzie(m): 1:33pm On May 25, 2009
Sorry abt that brother.

But hope you didn't fill in your Bank/ATM details on any Interswitch website asking you to do so?.

I've been having some scam mails come in my mailbox requesting me to do that and I'll believe a lot of other people have been getting such mails which could utterly result to having your account cleaned up by scammers.

Anyways wish you luck with the investigation
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Skywalker5(m): 1:37pm On May 25, 2009
I dont think the bank would do anything. Thats all they will tell you.thats they are investigating.

Sorry for your loss man. its happens here also. A friend of mine debit card was used to pay an online regsitration for a dating site and when he told the bank.all he was told was that they are investigating. its 2 months now and its still the same thing they are saying. Unless they catch the culprit (which in most time not visible), banks will not refund the money. They will insist you were careless somehow.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by blacksta(m): 1:41pm On May 25, 2009
what a shame - Sorry poster at your loss - The lord will repay u in seven folds

how else can one protect his or her account - would a savings account do.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Jarus(m): 1:48pm On May 25, 2009
don jazzie:

Sorry abt that brother.

But hope you didn't fill in your Bank/ATM details on any Interswitch website asking you to do so?.

I've been having some scam mails come in my mailbox requesting me to do that and I'll believe a lot of other people have been getting such mails which could utterly result to having your account cleaned up by scammers.

Anyways wish you luck with the investigation

That was what also came to my mind immediately I read the post. I also nearly fell victim of that mail some time ago.
Maybe the guy had released his ATM info and his ATM had been cloned.

Some ATM machines, like that of Oceanic, take pictures. My younger sister's ATM was stolen a couple of weeks ago and her account drained. But when she complained in the bank, it was investigated and found to be withdrawn by a known person, her school mate, through the picture taken. The girl had been contacted and she's already refunding the amount she withdrew.

But even if the ATM took the picture, it is another thing to identify the person. He/she may be a totally unknown person.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 25, 2009
nigeria is a terible place. we are very good at doing bad bad things. Good will help us in this naija. my guy sorry and i think u sud change ur bank.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by duxxmann(m): 2:11pm On May 25, 2009
I will suggest that you press-on with your complaint to your bank. Most ATM machines record the picture of whoever withdraws money from them.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by husu(m): 2:23pm On May 25, 2009
somebody in UBA must be connected to this fraud,my friend's money was withdrawn in the same UBA last month,and nothing was done about it.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by mbulela: 2:32pm On May 25, 2009
it happens.
a friend of mine had 100k withdrawn from his account via 5 transactions.at the time of transaction, he was on a ferry on the high sea heading towards one of these oil installations in the niger delta. the transactions were done in a Zenith bank ATM in V/I. he just used a Bank PHB atm mins before boarding the ferry. while on the high sea, he gets alerts 5 times telling him that he had withdrawn 20k*5.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by kshow1(m): 2:47pm On May 25, 2009
@ poster: it is nearly imposible for money to be withdrawn from your account with your ATM card except there is a compromise somehow.
1. your ATM card was used by someone who has access to your card and PIN.
2. The card holder has released card details to scammers who usually send mails to the suspects to reveal to details cos they are upgrading the software.
3. The card holder have planned with a third party to use card, then go back to the bank to logde a complain.
4. The card holder have decided to defraud him/herself by withdrawing and going back to complian to the bank that money has been withdrawn from his/her account.
5. A bank official might have compromise your card by having all your card details.

All these are statement of facts cos i was once a head of operations in a nigerian bank.

ensure you follow up on them with the investigation cos the culprit might be someone you know.

Good luck.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by sley4life(m): 2:58pm On May 25, 2009
our banks have weak syst. The bank wont investigate anything they will keep posting u till u are tired. ATM fraudster are at it again.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by FACE(m): 3:08pm On May 25, 2009
kshow1:

@ poster: it is nearly imposible for money to be withdrawn from your account with your ATM card except there is a compromise somehow.
2. The card holder has released card details to scammers who usually send mails to the suspects to reveal to details cos they are upgrading the software.
3. The card holder have planned with a third party to use card, then go back to the bank to logde a complain.
4. The card holder have decided to defraud him/herself by withdrawing and going back to complian to the bank that money has been withdrawn from his/her account.
5. A bank official might have compromise your card by having all your card details.

All these are statement of facts cos i was once a head of operations in a nigerian bank.

ensure you follow up on them with the investigation cos the culprit might be someone you know.

Good luck.

Ever heard of card cloning ? Id theft + impersonation and obtaining a duplicate card ? Well, you can let Michael Akinlaja and his mates inform you the hard way. Must say I was lucky to nip it in the bud when Michael tried to hit me for six.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by oluite(f): 3:15pm On May 25, 2009
ATM scammers have gotten really bad.
They send mails saying they are doing upgrade n u shld fill ur personal details again.U ar just givin them access to your ATM by filling such forms.Also before u use any ATM,LOOK CLOSELY AT IT.sometimes a copier is inserted into the ATM,once u slot ur own card,it just copies all your card details.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by gudtime4us: 3:18pm On May 25, 2009
Thanks house for your encouraging words. I want to say that I'm very to some extend that I never and will never disclose my card and PIN numbers to anybody, especially the on - line thing. I don't even have many friends that I can suspect. Friends, lets be prayerful, things are really happening. I have even been the one warning my friends and younger ones against any attempt to disclose their card and PIN numbers to ANYBODY. It still beats my imagination how they did it to me. Too bad!!
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by kshow1(m): 3:20pm On May 25, 2009
FACE:

Ever heard of card cloning ? Id theft + impersonation and obtaining a duplicate card ? Well, you can let Michael Akinlaja and his mates inform you the hard way. Must say I was lucky to nip it in the bud when Michael tried to hit me for six.
@ face : card clonning is what is meant in item 2. , once anaybody has yuor card details , the card can then be cloned.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Skywalker5(m): 3:24pm On May 25, 2009
liyuboy:

nigeria is a terible place. we are very good at doing bad bad things. Good will help us in this naija. my guy sorry and i think u sud change ur bank.

sley4life:

our banks have weak syst. The bank wont investigate anything they will keep posting u till u are tired. ATM fraudster are at it again.

Please and please. it's just getting rampant in Nigeria. Its a normal thing here in the uk for people to complain that their account has been compromised.
Its not only in Nigeria.Abeg oooo
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Finecat(m): 3:30pm On May 25, 2009
@Poster

Pele o, i'm not surprise at this development at all. Since the salary of the bank workers are getting slashed left and right, someone has to pay. I foresee more incidence like this.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Builder: 3:34pm On May 25, 2009
@Poster

In most countries, bank do refund half of the stolen money, provided you/they can prove its wasnt any fault of yours
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Skywalker5(m): 3:36pm On May 25, 2009
Builder:

@Poster

In most countries, bank do refund half of the stolen money, provided you/they can prove its wasnt any fault of yours

U sure about that. As long as the banks prove that the fault was not from thier side.They will never refund a penny. Cases like that are rampant here so that why they tell people to monitor thier account very well
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by chuksme(m): 3:41pm On May 25, 2009
poster, i am very sorry to hear this. The same thing happened to me on the 12 March this 2009. i went to deposite money at FirstBank. On the same day i deposited money was the same day they withdrew my cash.

I did not show anybody my ATM card let alone of sharing it with someone.  i have tabled my report to FirstBank, wrote letters and other things. Till date, i have not gotten a reasonable reply, still telling me that they are investigating.

For people who have not experienced this, it is real and happening now as i am writing this, you people should be carefull.

And i wish Government should look into this because it is becoming too common now.

the same week they withdrew mine was also the same week they withdrew my town man the sum of N285,000 at Oceanic Bank.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by mbulela: 3:47pm On May 25, 2009
kshow1:

Good luck.

In the case i narrated above, the act was perpetrated about 25 mins after he used the PHB atm near the wharf.
2ndly the alert said the 20k* 5 was withdrawn in lagos at Zenith bank, VI.
the card was in his possession.
so that rules out option 1,3 and 4.
i am also doubtful about option 2 cos the timing between the fraud and his own usage of the card does not seem coincidental.
if they were the type of scammers you are referring to, they did not need to wait for him to use the card before striking.
I have a sneaky feeling that this group of scammers have a mole in the bank.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Skywalker5(m): 3:53pm On May 25, 2009
kshow1:

Good luck.

Dont know how long you have been head of operation but you need to know what's happing in todays IT world.

At least you need to watch the CNN broadcast of how to rob a bank.

You will understand that what you wrote up there are old methods and not in use anymore
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Builder: 4:06pm On May 25, 2009
Skywalker, i know that because i used to work for a high street bank.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by kalmebad(f): 4:10pm On May 25, 2009
@ chuksme

Suprised such could also happen at FBN? Is that a current or savings account? cus i equally bank with them but fortunately or do i say unfortunately not into this their ATM stuff as i smell things like dis happening from the inception. pls revert back regds to this.

@poster
Sad and i feel you
You could probably have responded to this their Interswitch upgrade scam letters

They dont get tried sending me such mails and i ignore them as always, not only for the reason that i don't use ATM but also for the fact that i kwn they are fradusters.

That could have been where d mistake was made,

I think we all should be more careful, thigs are really happening with all this banks

Just recently my brother sent money (Western Union) , on a friday,before Tuesday the following week, someone has claimed the money at 7.45am when Banks are yet to be opened to customers. Till this moment i spk that money couldnt be traced. We kept wondering wat banks are now turning into as no other person has details except my sis (dis na 4 P.H)

But in all my brother still blames my sis for waiting till tuesday, giving someone the reason and chance to defraud them, We spk abt cool wadada here, shit happens. I pray not to witness such calamity
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Builder: 4:22pm On May 25, 2009
Shame people are just too stupid and careless when it comes to their finances, they discard recepts, bank statement and bank related documents without any regards of who is watching them, moreover, when people withdraw money from the ATM they do so with no sence of alertness or security,

As a bank worker and seasoned Ex ATM hacker, next time u withdraw you money from the ATM make sure you cover your PIN number, weather people are behind u or not . this website used to be my shopping site

http://www.hackerscatalog.com/Products/Books/Credit_Finances_Scams/index.html ,

have a read then maybe u understand better
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by spoilt(f): 4:26pm On May 25, 2009
I work in a bank over here and all fraudulent charges to your account is refunded to you.  I dont know how it works in Nigeria but surely your bank has a policy of refunding you for unauthorized transactions to your account.
I guess like everything else in Nigeria it will be like trying to nail jello to the wall trying to get your money back.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Seun(m): 4:32pm On May 25, 2009
but surely your bank has a policy of refunding you for unauthorized transactions to your account.
Buhahaha
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by mrofficial(m): 4:32pm On May 25, 2009
[size=15pt]Really your card got cloned. Sowi [/size]
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by spoilt(f): 4:34pm On May 25, 2009
Seun:

Buhahaha.

Its so tragic that its so funny. When i was in Nigeria recently, I was so terrified of taking my credit cards and bank cards out of the house, using any ATM or buying anything online on any website from Nigeria. My hand no dey!  grin
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by pinkylady1(f): 4:42pm On May 25, 2009
gudtime4us:

A very unpleasant thing happened to me on Tuesday, two weeks ago. I went to the ATM to get some money from the vey little I had in my account. I placed my order but what I got instead of the money was ' you have insufficient fund in your account'. I called my bank (UBA) immediately to get details of my account and I was told that I had withdrawn all the money I had the previous day from the ATM at Ibro hotel, Abuja. Never been to the hotel!!

That was when it dawned on me that I had been robbed. How they did it still remains a mystery to me 'cos nobody ever had access to my ATM card. But the same card was said to be used in withdrawing every kobo from my account. Too bad[b], especially for someone who is still struggling without a steady job. [/b] I have written to the bank and they say they are investigating the matter. What is the world turning to? What is becoming of this country? [b]Why do the helpless and innocent continue to be cheated? Why me?? Untll it happened to me, I never knew such a thing could be possible.[/b]Is the bank or the ATM safe afterall??

sorry oh, i really feel your pain, but be rest assured that God will double what they've taken cos all hope is not lost.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by A40(m): 4:43pm On May 25, 2009
It might have been the Interswitch scam thingy!! Are you sure you did not fill some crazy form asking you for your details online??
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Thadude(m): 4:54pm On May 25, 2009
I'm an old fashion kinda guy, i have said it in a previous post, its better you'all get rid of your ATM cards and revert to cheque books the old fashion way. Our banks arent equipt to deal with these fraud many of which originates from within the bank, your card info could be sold out to fraudsters by bank insiders in the IT dept.
Banks are suppose to be insured i wonder why their insurance firm are not paying out the stolen funds to card owners. Its too risky to think about using an ATM card. Its like one day u think you have money in your account for a project, the next day you wake up and guess what?, i just lost everything and the bank aint giving a damn!, rather they blame it on you and say you allowed fraudsters to sneak peep your card info. The bad news however is that this is just the begining, these fraudsters are perfecting their acts ATM users are locked in with no escape route, its just a matter of time till you are caught up!!! If you are one of those who think it cant happen to you, then think again! even if you dig a hole and burry your ATM card, you will still be at the mercies of the bank insiders at the IT dept who have access to all ur infos.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jim Ovia Lauds Nigeria’s Economic Rebound, Forecasts Peaceful 2019 Elections / Breaking: Presidency Vows To Recover $7 B CBN Bailout To Banks / Did You Spend Any Of These Currencies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.