Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,152 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Francis Cardinal Arinze: Kudos To The Africa’s Lion In Winter - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Francis Cardinal Arinze: Kudos To The Africa’s Lion In Winter (565 Views)

Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello / Cardinal Okogie To Buhari: "You Must Be A Joker For Thinking Of 2019 Now" / Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Francis Cardinal Arinze: Kudos To The Africa’s Lion In Winter by ken2015: 4:24pm On Nov 25, 2015
Francis Cardinal Arinze: Kudos to the Africa’s Lion In Winter
Rev. Br. Kenneth Alamezie, BSS
All through history, there are men and women whose contributions, at their respective times of existence, collectively have significantly helped in shaping the world and advancing the course of human existence on earth. These have had to wrestle through varied harsh experiences and navigate through the murky waters of life to get to where they are, and also get us where we are today. Simply put, they have had to defy all odds to make a difference in the world, to find meaning to life and contribute same to it. And nature, in her most generous manner of dealing with mankind, has not failed to capture their foot prints for posterity’s sake. One can always find it eloquently embossed in the sands of time!
Often, when trying to call to mind what evidently stupendous achievements by which these rare gems are known, one may unconsciously be drawn to engage the mind in a battle. Yes, there could be that possible fight of whether or not to believe that these folks actually once existed, especially when it involves those of them from quite a number of centuries ago. Again, when we consider the endemicity of moral decadence, impunity, and flagrant hedonism overriding in this 21st century era, which outcome is the upsurge of inhumanity of man to man, global chaos cum economic meltdown and other forms of bizarre circumstances bedeviling us, and which we must war against in trying to make both ends meet; we may be tempted to think that some of these icons of valor couldn’t have been humans but possibly beings that dropped from the Mars, or perhaps some kind of product of long years of science experiment.
Yet, the truth remains that discipline and hard work, when brought to bear for any set goals will always yield tremendous benefits, as nature does not behave like we humans do, but is a great rewarder of those who diligently seek for its betterment. Thus, it implies that as many as are going to defy all odds to stick out their feet on the frontlines, to ditch hedonism and the likes for the sole purpose of contributing to nature’s good, will undoubtedly be handsomely rewarded by the same course for which they have sacrificed a lot.
But, for one to achieve this substantial level of excellence in life, there is need to cultivate some essential good traits, and that’s not minding whether they belong to the politico-academic world, religious world and otherwise. These essentially good traits as I have observed are: optimism, discipline, sheer gallantry, effervescent zeal cum love for God and his creation, dogged determination, even in the midst of overwhelming afflictions and terrible situations capable of putting the spirit off on the sidelines, and towering faith in God and oneself. You would find that all who were able to carve a niche for themselves among the reckoned great achievers of all times, not excluding our inimitable Francis Cardinal Arinze, have almost all these listed virtues properly fixed and at work in them.
Our celebrant today, His Eminence, Francis Cardinal Arinze, undeniably is one of such fellows who have had to defy all odds, fought through thick and thin to secure himself a place among the reckoned great achievers of all times. His paradigm lifestyle cum unmatchable contribution in defending Catholic Orthodoxy, his indomitable spirit unabashedly expressed in his powerful speeches consisting of diplomatic but succinct eloquence, not minding the conventions of political correctness, shows him to be indeed Africa’s Lion in winter and a champion of African Catholicism. His numerous writings and earth-moving sermons are also there to testify to this. Needless to say that those who’re still sound in the realm of the brain chamber, that’s good memory keepers, would not hesitate to agree with me that one could hardly mention the likes of Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, Archbishop John Newman and a host of others, whose voices and the outcome of their Biros have continued to evangelize the world even at their demise, without mentioning the name of this Africa’s Lion in Winter.
Embracing the vocation to the priesthood when obviously the heat was upper most, I mean when the vocation was really of a matter of purely sacrifice; when it was so demanding and tasking and was all about inflexible evangelical living devoid of earthly honor and enrichment, just like what’s obtainable today in the vocation to the Brotherhood or monastic life; when it was widely seen as a death sentence by parents and thus was greatly abhorred like feces, very much unlike what we have around today where almost every male in the church wants to toe the path to priesthood, more or less because of what’s at stake--the money, food, cars, wine, honor, loads of basic and non-basic necessities of life, in all self aggrandizement; And almost all the Catholic mamas now want to share in the church’s copious spoil, and have the name “mama father” given as replacement for maybe, Erimma, Nwaogo, Ngborie, Margret(Maggi), Caro etc., is enough testimony of the apostolic zest inherent this saintly cardinal.
His ascendance to the Episcopal stool, the fullness of the Priesthood of Christ the Lord, also came in the face of the trying experience of the hectic war years and the tasking post-wars years. Here again, his dynamism and apostolic spirit came to bear in salvaging the onerous responsibility of feeding the ever growing war-torn sheep entrusted to his care. And like the Francis of old whose mandate as was given by our Lord, was rebuilding a dilapidated Church, at the time, this modern Francis really took after the saint from Assisi in respect to Church rebuilding. Needless to mention that it was this passion in him that birthed the congregation we know today as the Congregation of the Brothers of St. Stephen, which providentially he is the founder and myself a member. Although it wouldn’t be long before the wise and saintly pope John Paul 11 notices this rare gift given to the church in Africa.
Not even the blind could doubt the fact that whatever prosperity is being enjoyed today in the Onitsha Archdiocese and by extension Onitsha Ecclesiastical Province, came as a result of the foundation laid by this meticulous servant dubbed ‘strict’ by some folks of the time, likely because of his insistence on living out the life as required by Christ who instituted the vocation. Till date he still does everything in his power to ‘live to leave fulfilled’, like the apostles--particularly the great St. Paul.
Being one of his sons I can testify to this fact, as I’ve been privileged to closely experience him. My conscience assures me of not exaggerating. I only testify to what I’ve seen and to that which I know by close observation.
I only pray God to richly reward this sincere servant of His with whatever may be his heart’s desire, Amen!
God bless you!
kcgalamezie@gmail.com, 08068397124
Re: Francis Cardinal Arinze: Kudos To The Africa’s Lion In Winter by AustineE1: 7:07pm On Nov 25, 2015
Nwoke Eziowelle,obodo oma!!!

(1) (Reply)

Christianity And Politics :should A True Christian Be Involve In Nig Politics? / Every Pastor Who Collects Tithes Is A Thief – Pastor Femi Aribisala / Christianity In Nigeria Today As Practiced By Most Pastors And Their Flock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.