Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,373 members, 7,815,789 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? (1700 Views)

Princess Adeola-Ogunwusi In Nigeria For Her Fathers Wedding / Sanusi's Sons Go For A Horse Riding In Kano (Photo) / Ooni Of Ife’s Last Photo Alive: Oba Sijuwade Rides Rolls Royce Car With Sons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by tamme: 4:17pm On May 25, 2009
whats this all about?
Igbo men can send their daughters abroad to study but dont do the same for their boys
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by ezeagu(m): 6:30pm On May 25, 2009
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by Badriyyah(f): 8:00pm On May 25, 2009
lol, All the Igbo families I know have sent their sons abroad to study, So I have no clue what you're talking about.
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by spoilt(f): 8:01pm On May 25, 2009
neither do I.
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by tamme: 10:03pm On May 25, 2009
first sons

most of my igbo male friends who wanted to go to school abroad couldnt because their dad said so. I asked them why, they said because they need to be with around their fathers to learn how to control ther fathers business and their fathers believe if they go to jand they wont cant come back home and inherit their fathers chieftancy titles
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by AloyEmeka9: 10:55pm On May 25, 2009

first sons

most of my igbo male friends who wanted to go to school abroad couldnt because their dad said so. I asked them why, they said because they need to be with around their fathers to learn how to control ther fathers business and their fathers believe if they go to jand they wont cant come back home and inherit their fathers chieftancy titles

Are you sure you have igbo friends at all or just acquaintances that give you money after a one night stand with you ? Do they know what you write about them here because a friend cannot write these about his/her fellow friends unless you need us to tell you the definition of friendship again?. Idiot, I am igbo, first born yet I studied abroad on my fathers account. undecided undecided
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by tamme: 11:04pm On May 25, 2009
I dont know why you have to insult me when I just asked a simple question. . whats wrong if I should ask igbo people on a public forum about what I have observed, its not a secret they tell many people also not me. Off course its not all igbo fathers that do this but I know so many igbo fathers who dont send their first sons abroad for various reasons.
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by AloyEmeka9: 11:07pm On May 25, 2009
You are very foolish to ask a question like this especially when there is no atom of truth to it. I suggest you take off the igbo fixation lens you are wearing. Many popular  igbos that school abroad were first sons so wtf are you talking about? . My own father is the only son yet he studied in California in the 60's, so who and who told you igbo fathers don't allow their first sons to travel abroad?
I asked them why, they said because they need to be with around their fathers to learn how to control ther fathers business and their fathers believe if they go to jand they wont cant come back home and inherit their fathers chieftancy titles 
Inherit what chieftaincy title? Is it every igbo man that has a chieftancy assuming their is anything like  chieftaincy title bloodline?. Your reasoning is so whacked that sometimes I wonder whether you run your lies through a more sensible person before posting them here. Chieftaincy title is an honorary award and cannot be inherited. You obviously forgot that Nnamdi Azikiwe, Odumegwu ojukwus, C.C Onohs that all studied abroad are first sons. Don't you know that the first generation of Nigerians that studied abroad are about 90% igbos? Dumboh!
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by asha80(m): 11:16pm On May 25, 2009
i wonder the igbo man that has money even if it is trader at alaba that has money to send his first son to school that will not do so.

tamme you already have a reputation of been an igbo hater in this forum so you bringing this thread is viewed with suspicion.maybe if brought up by another person insults would not have been flying.
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by tamme: 11:21pm On May 25, 2009
You are very foolish to ask a question like this especially when there is no atom of truth to it. I suggest you take off the igbo fixation lens you are wearing. Many popular  igbos that school abroad were first sons so wtf are you talking about? . My own father is the only son yet he studied in California in the 60's, so who and who told you igbo fathers don't allow their first sons to travel abroad?

I asked them why, they said because they need to be with around their fathers to learn how to control ther fathers business and their fathers believe if they go to jand they wont cant come back home and inherit their fathers chieftancy titles  
Inherit what chieftaincy title? Is it every igbo man that has a chieftancy assuming their is anything like  chieftaincy title bloodline. Your reasoning is so whacked that sometimes I wonder whether you run your lies through a more sensible person before posting them here. Chieftaincy title is an honorary award and cannot be inherited. Dumboh!

well thats what they told me, It wasnt something I came up with. I said I know its not all igbo fathers that do this, just wanted to know if other people have heard about this before.
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by tamme: 11:24pm On May 25, 2009
tamme you already have a reputation of been an igbo hater in this forum so you bringing this thread is viewed with suspicion.maybe if brought up by another person insults would not have been flying.

Its just the internet, people need to stop getting worked up.
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by asha80(m): 11:51pm On May 25, 2009
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by tpiah: 12:35am On May 26, 2009
person wey leave im village go sell spare parts for idumota dey talk say na abroad im go.
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by Nobody: 12:43am On May 26, 2009
Aunty TP, i dey greet ooo
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by tpiah: 1:28am On May 26, 2009
OMO IBO:

Aunty TP, i dey greet ooo

Papa Igbo,

go find your aunties for Tarkwa Bay.

na by force?
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by eddy1977(m): 7:20am On May 28, 2009
tpiah:

person wey leave im village go sell spare parts for idumota dey talk say na abroad im go.

grin grin grin ROTFL wow, you really know how word your thoughts.
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by nwauwa(m): 10:23am On May 28, 2009
cool

1 Like

Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by ukukaegbu(m): 4:02pm On Jun 05, 2009
@nwa-uwa; Best reply to the post!
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by ifyalways(f): 6:07pm On Jun 05, 2009
nwa-uwa:

Fact is, Igbo big time readers groom atleast one of their sons to replace them.It does not however have to be the first son,it might be anyone the dad have got a special fondness for or anyone that is intrested in the biz.There is nothing wrong with that cool
same with the educationists,doctors etc,they often groom their kids to fill the shoes.Its a perfectly natural behaviour.
Traders.lol
gbam ! ! !
@Tamme,u can now rest in peace. cheesy
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by romeo(m): 8:04pm On Jun 05, 2009
LoL grin grin
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by slimfine(f): 1:26am On Jun 06, 2009
Another dumb generalization! next?
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by rubi(f): 2:34am On Jun 06, 2009
Why is it that most topics in culture are Igbo this Igbo that I think Igbos strick a nerve. What is the next topic about Igbos
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by whiteroses(f): 10:11pm On Jun 30, 2009
tamme:

whats this all about?
Igbo men can send their daughters abroad to study but dont do the same for their boys

another igbo stereotype angry angry angry come on peoples lets get a life
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by admin7(m): 4:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
nwa-uwa:
Fact is, Igbo big time readers groom atleast one of their sons to replace them.It does not however have to be the first son,it might be anyone the dad have got a special fondness for or anyone that is intrested in the biz.There is nothing wrong with that cool
same with the educationists,doctors etc,they often groom their kids to fill the shoes.Its a perfectly natural behaviour.
nwa-uwa is right fathers want someone to succedd them (if they are doing well) . But this behaviour while it exists is mainly true of the illiterate noveau middle.class trader of igbo stock. the elite usually exhibit no such tendencies
Re: How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study? by Dede1(m): 3:26pm On Oct 13, 2012
tamme: I dont know why you have to insult me when I just asked a simple question. . whats wrong if I should ask igbo people on a public forum about what I have observed, its not a secret they tell many people also not me. Off course its not all igbo fathers that do this but I know so many igbo fathers who dont send their first sons abroad for various reasons.

When your observations exude idiocy, you deserved to be insulted.

(1) (Reply)

Message To Egbe Omo Yoruba - E Gbe Ede Yin Laruge! - / How Can I Control My Temper? / (bayelsa) IJAW Traditional Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.