Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

It Is An Affront For Igbos To Have Traditional Leaders In Our Land – Yoruba Obas - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / It Is An Affront For Igbos To Have Traditional Leaders In Our Land – Yoruba Obas (869 Views)

Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake / Ondo Obas:igbos Having Obi Eze Igwe In Yoruba Land Is An Affront (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is An Affront For Igbos To Have Traditional Leaders In Our Land – Yoruba Obas by ahmedkoded95(m): 1:06pm On Nov 27, 2015
The Council of Obas in Ondo state has condemned the installations of Eze Ndigbo across the South west region, describing the trend as an affront on the Yoruba traditional institution, Daily Post reports.

A communiqué issued on Thursday, November 26, by the council in Akure, the Ondo state capital, after its monthly meeting, further stated that having another king in an area where there was one already recoginsed was an attempt to embarrass Yoruba traditional rulers.

The council also frowned at the use of titles such as Eze, Igwe, Obi or any other synonym as unacceptable in the state, saying that the only chieftaincy title recognized was the one bestowed by the traditional ruler in the state on Igbo indigenes.

Part of the communique read: “The continued use of Eze Ndigbo chieftaincy title and flaunting of paraphernalia of Ndigbo traditional institution in Ondo State is a calculated attempt to embarrass the Yoruba traditional rulers,” the monarchs agreed.

“It is also meant to desecrate the Yoruba traditional institution. It is also an affront on Ondo State traditional rulers. It is a way of arrogating to the Igbo leaders the traditional power and equating themselves to Yoruba Obas.

“It is an infraction of the penal law and indeed the Chiefs Law in Ondo State for any person to parade himself as either a minor chief or recognized chief without the requisite approval of the prescribed authority or the State Executive Council as the case may be.

“Whoever wants to be a traditional ruler among the Igbos or any other ethnic groups should go to his domain for such.”

Last month, the Afenifere Renewal Group had said the evolution of Igbo kings in Yorubaland is an expansionist agenda by the south easterners residing in the region.

The reactions of the groups is as a result of a recent clash between youths in Ondo state and Igbos residing in the state over an alleged insult of the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladelusi Aladetoyinbo.

1 Like

Re: It Is An Affront For Igbos To Have Traditional Leaders In Our Land – Yoruba Obas by osesology(m): 1:40pm On Nov 27, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: It Is An Affront For Igbos To Have Traditional Leaders In Our Land – Yoruba Obas by IamAtribalist: 2:22am On Nov 28, 2015
cool Leave the Igbos the amala-eaters will continue to flog them UNTIL they receive sense.
Re: It Is An Affront For Igbos To Have Traditional Leaders In Our Land – Yoruba Obas by Yujin(m): 8:08am On Nov 29, 2015
After studying the Yorubas for a long time I've come to this understanding. The Yorubas do not understand the Igbos any bit. Reasons being that they fear the boisterous nature of Ndigbo and it has translated to fear. Also, they are very suspicious and greatly think that the Igbos have a long term plan to dominate them. This is what has given birth to the recent clashes we are witnessing. Having an Eze Igbo in Yoruba land does not in any way challenge the traditional throne of the indigenous Oba. Its natural for most groups of people to elect a leader for themselves anywhere they find themselves even within other people's territories or kingdoms. Moses was the leader of the Israelites in Egypt and Moredecai was another during the reign of the Persians. Let's bring it to our present time. The hausas have their Sarki even right there in Akure yet none of the Yorubas have had the effontery to challenge the stool. Why always the Igbos? The fulani herdsmen have been killing, raping and destroying properties in that same Ondo state yet all the Obas have not deem it fit to invite the leader of the herdsmen to any of their palace for mediation. Whereas a minor problem at the market in Akure saw the Oba 'summoning' the EzeIgbo to his palace of which the Igbo leader complied. What transpired there may have the Eze being disrespectful but does that warrant the derobing and flogging of a leader of another group? Were they your slaves that you think you can flog anyhow? If what happened at Akure doesn't make any Igbo person to have a sober reflection I doubt if any other thing will. Ok let me break it down for all to understand. Having to remove his regalia means a total disregard for whatever he stands for. Flogging him means every Igbo person in Akure can be treated anyhow especially in the similitude of a slave as they are not better than that. Oh yes that's what it means. When a man errs what happens to the invitation of the police? Can they ever attempt that to the Sarkin Hausas in Akure? Your guess is as good as mine. What many Igbos especially those born and bred in Yorubaland may not have noticed is that they are not seen as equals. Oh yes I said it after my careful observation and research. Firstly they make you uncomfortable saying good things about where you come from. Secondly they make you eulogize whatever they present as their culture without you being objective to it while they are at liberty to make mockery and even condemn yours. Finally, whatever your people's achievements, just keep shut and relish it in your heart but they can bombard you with all the both true and false histories of the achievements of the Yoruba race. Before you know it you begin to dislike your own people and feel incomplete about your origin. I challenge anyone to counter what I've written here.
Finally, I advise the council of Ondo Obas to bother themselves with more befitting things than trying to stop other groups from having a leader who should be their mouthpiece wherever they find themselves.

4 Likes

Re: It Is An Affront For Igbos To Have Traditional Leaders In Our Land – Yoruba Obas by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 29, 2015
i thought this issue has already been resolved? the eze ndigbo has already apologized...
Re: It Is An Affront For Igbos To Have Traditional Leaders In Our Land – Yoruba Obas by Living4christ(m): 10:45am On Dec 01, 2015
IamAtribalist:
cool Leave the Igbos the amala-eaters will continue to flog them UNTIL they receive sense.

So thats your view on igbos

(1) (Reply)

5 Super Hilarious Hausa Proverbs And Their Meaning / Pictures From Yoruba Day @awolowo P/s, Osan-ekiti / Curfew In Sagamu Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.