Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Nigerians And Mental Health Issues: Depression And Suicides - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians And Mental Health Issues: Depression And Suicides (661 Views)

6 Friends Help Their Friend Overcome Depression (Photos) / I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... / Your Work And Mental Well-being (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Mental Health Issues: Depression And Suicides by makizee(m): 6:22pm On Nov 27, 2015
I shudder at the insensitive comments people post online when news about VICTIMS of Suicide hits the net, yes these unfortunate Souls are victims and you can only feel how they felt at those last moments of their lives if you wear their shoes. You have no idea the Anguish they must have felt. No Sane Person will take their own life, perfectly sane people may kill someone else but for a person to take their own life suggest that there is an underlining mental issue that went undetected for a long time which ultimately led to a chronic lack of self-worth that the only remaining option for such a person was suicide, Experts always say to the suicide victim, He/ She had gotten to a point where they feel they are actually doing themselves and others including their loved ones a favour by taking their lives Showing how degraded their mental state has become to consider such drastic option as the only option left, They do not need your derision but pity

In advanced country where mental issues have been demystified and no longer taboos, People visit Psychiatrist when they feel the pressure is building up and they need someone to talk to, In this case an expert. Many Nigerians are also of the Opinion that depression afflicts only the struggling person, but chronic depression can also afflict persons who appear to be successful, remember Robin Williams and the Scottish Manger Gary Speed, South Korea with its top economy and good social well-being of its citizens has the highest rate of suicides in the world.

I would even say Africans have a tougher skin because considering all the stress we go through should probably have a high suicide rate but the apparent increase is largely due to how news travel faster these days and very little stays hidden, in times past Families would bury their loved ones in a hush hush manner to avoid the “shame” of having a suicide victim in their family, The Yoruba call it Asasi.
Save a soul, if you notice that a family or friend that used to be jovial but have gone suddenly cold and withdrawn, it may be a sign of depression and the person may be having suicidal thoughts, some can even mask it well by becoming really jovial and carefree when usually are more of the gentle type. Depression is really a complex issue.
Nigerians should stop stigmatising people with mental health issues, individuals have different elastic limits, the pressure some can withstand easily will break others, there is no point call suicide victims cowards as if killing oneself I a walk in the park.
I will digress here a bit, In Islam, in Law and I should think other religions too, Mentally Imbalance people cannot be held responsible for their actions, so for those that always say they are going to hell straight (Thank God una no be God) I would think not because they would fit into the profile of being mentally sick so God will understand their plight…. right?

Anyways, stop the stigmatizations, Help The Victim if You Can. Depression can be very dangerous, It can even become more dangerous if the person decides to “go” with others like the Pilot that purposely crashed his plane recently and America’s countless Mass Shooters.
Your responses are welcome
Re: Nigerians And Mental Health Issues: Depression And Suicides by raayah(f): 6:32pm On Nov 27, 2015
Thank you for your kind words on mental health.

I don't know why we don't take our mental health seriously, especially since it is very important.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Mental Health Issues: Depression And Suicides by makizee(m): 6:59pm On Nov 27, 2015
raayah:
Thank you for your kind words on mental health.

I don't know why we don't take our mental health seriously, especially since it is very important.

Really Important, All these aggressive People we meet on the streets of Naija are dealing with loads of Pressure, some will transfer this argression on their kids, wives and maids , another pointer to why all sorts of violence is on the rise.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Mental Health Issues: Depression And Suicides by laudate: 12:07pm On Nov 28, 2015
Are there any neurologists in the house?? Or neurosurgeons? Sometimes, abnormalities in the brain structure and chemistry, cause these mental health issues.

There is so little information available in Nigeria on the causes and treatment of mental health conditions. This is so sad. sad
Re: Nigerians And Mental Health Issues: Depression And Suicides by just2okworld(f): 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2015
Seriously,suicidal attempts is becoming unnecessarily high,we can always lend out an helping hand to anyone we know of around us...

May God help us in this country...Amen!!!

(1) (Reply)

If You Really Believe In Ur Eye Then Prove It(pix) / Lassa Fever is a hoax, deaths likely due to Untreated Malaria. / Lassa Fever: 4,400 Rats Killed In Six Lagos Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.