Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) (48085 Views)

Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) / Nigerian Court Awards $10 Million Damages Against Shoprite For Contract Breach / Shoprite Ilorin Shuts Its Doors As A Result Of Too Much Customers Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by fragile96: 12:52pm On Nov 28, 2015
Dammsl33k:
So perplexed at this story. If such could occur in a reputatble shopping outlet like shoprite so what more should we say about the normal market retailers? What an embarassment. Its not just a slap on Nigeria buh a disgrace on the entire management of Shoprite.
funniest thing is normal market retailers dnt sell expired product coz psychologically, we believe dey do, so we tke our time to check d expired date of d product before buying, plus they sell cheaper that shopping malls, so their goods cnt stay too long on their shade.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by rileyy(m): 12:55pm On Nov 28, 2015
Took an expired product in 2009 and almost died, I think this a good call. Selling an expired commodities should attract life sentence

Farnsworth:
what rubbish... why not seal Nigerian markets... just trying to another inconvenience a company investing in Nigeria, why not just give them a warning and fine them... closing ensure they are not making money... if the product is expired tell them to put expiry date on it and check it before selling it.
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by ekefre4(m): 12:56pm On Nov 28, 2015
Sijo01:

Is this ignorance or stupidity?
I'd go with stupidity
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by hafs(f): 12:58pm On Nov 28, 2015
[quote author=Bonapart post=40485127]Boko northern kids [/quote
What's this egg head saying
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by UjSizzle(f): 12:58pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:
what rubbish... why not seal Nigerian markets... just trying to another inconvenience a company investing in Nigeria, why not just give them a warning and fine them... closing ensure they are not making money... if the product is expired tell them to put expiry date on it and check it before selling it.
Is this a joke? What kind of comment is this?!
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 1:01pm On Nov 28, 2015
end time Shoprite.
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by UjSizzle(f): 1:05pm On Nov 28, 2015
Acidosis:
I hope this is not an attempt to punish SA firms as I'm very certain majority of the shops in Lagos state sell expired and fake products.

I'm not in anyway condoling malpractices; I'm only calling for fair and equal treatments.

I don't think we have any SA Pastor in Nigeria. If SA decides to start with Nigerian Pastors in South Africa alone, lol, they will gulp thrice the amount we'll get from MTN.

They have Pastor Chris Oyakhilome
They have Emmanuel TV/T.B Joshua
& many more...

While some folks rejoice over the perceived fall of MTN, Shoprite, and other SA firms in Nigeria, let's always remember they have more Nigerians at their disposal.
Are you really back with this expel-SA theory?
I know we're trying to encourage FDIs in Nigeria, but it shouldn't be to the detriment of our citizens.
The same madness happening in the Niger-delta region needs to be addressed and those Multinationals heavily fined for environmental pollution. No country can boast of development if there's no human development. And you can't achieve human development if our regulatory institutions treat investors like the Holy Grail.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by mu2sa2: 1:06pm On Nov 28, 2015
Kudos to Lagos State - unlike most other states Lagos enforces its laws. I have noticed for sometime now that shoprite stores stock products that are close to their expiry dates. I think they deliberately import products like yoghurt fruits,cereals & the like that have almost expired and place them on the shelves and keep them there even when they have expired. Thank you Lagos State for dealing with these south African fraudsters.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by haibe(m): 1:09pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:
are u for real?
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by plaetton: 1:15pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:

Shut up.

I am one of the victims of the expired products sold there.
I was actually preparing to file a complaint against them.
I now realize that I was not the only one scammed into buying adulterated wine, the equivalent of poison in that store.

I am sooo happy that Nemesis has caught up with them.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 28, 2015
menix:

Meaning u will accept me that way?

Fine gal I like ur Polo.
grin why not? Nice gap teeth
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by Cargoed: 1:16pm On Nov 28, 2015
What happened to NAFDAC i thought this is their job. This shows that that agency has completly gone down. We need strong[b] institutions [/b]not strong Men or in this case WOMEN.

By the way shoprite is suppllied by many small businesses here in Nigeria so they will also feel the pain.
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by Taireblaze(m): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:
Which School Did You Attend?coz Yoo lack knowledge & understanding.....
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by ladej(m): 1:22pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:
who let this one out of the zoo ?
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by macklef(m): 1:23pm On Nov 28, 2015
When one thinks everything u buy in shoprite is authentic.
But the way they stock items at the mall ehn, i wonder how they make profit from them.
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by beentarh(f): 1:25pm On Nov 28, 2015
This is long overdue. I was a victim on several occasions. I once bought expired body cream at Alausa Shoprite and expired baby milk at the Ilorin Shoprite. Since my encounter with them, I have always been cautious of things I buy anywhere.

I think Nigerians need to be educated on the need to always check consumables before purchase. An ordinary can mineral was rejected by d seller because it was discovered after purchase that the product is expired. I eventually gave back both product and money, I better be safe than to loose money!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by charlsecy(m): 1:28pm On Nov 28, 2015
This one is in Ikeja.

I just remembered about the taste of that Yoghurt we got from Shoprite, Enugu last time I visited. There was something about the taste.
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by charlsecy(m): 1:29pm On Nov 28, 2015
metronaija:
Investigation revealed that some products that were supposed to expire in one month’s time were found on the shelves of Shoprite in Ikeja.
Not yet expired!
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by BABANGBALI: 1:32pm On Nov 28, 2015
good move,pls do not open until after valentine's day
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by chubbygal(f): 1:33pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:

Your own stupidity tie gele for head.Nwa nkita
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by slimfit1(m): 1:33pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:

Why don't you go and use all your money to buy the milks. Idiot

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by Godsonkemz(m): 1:34pm On Nov 28, 2015
They have damaged their image. Shoprite of all places known for its quality!! Nawa o...
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by Godyke(m): 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2015
Can somebody please list the so called safety laws of Lagos state. And whose responsibility it to seal a business premesis and for which kind of safety concern. There are different types of safety. Workers and workplace safety, consumer safety, food and drug safety. Which one are we talking about here?
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by smoothlips(m): 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:
read your comment again...look in the mirror...are you really proud of yourself?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by BABANGBALI: 1:38pm On Nov 28, 2015
beentarh:
. I once bought expired body cream at Alausa Shoprite and expired baby milk at the Ilorin Shoprite. !
upon all this thing wey God take bless your chest,you still dey buy baby milk?Nigerians can waste money
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 28, 2015
Hmmmm... expired product? let the buyer beware jor. were they blind to buy expired products?
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by enigma2007(m): 1:44pm On Nov 28, 2015
Acidosis:
I hope this is not an attempt to punish SA firms as I'm very certain majority of the shops in Lagos state sell expired and fake products.

I'm not in anyway condoling malpractices; I'm only calling for fair and equal treatments.

I don't think we have any SA Pastor in Nigeria. If SA decides to start with Nigerian Pastors in South Africa alone, lol, they will gulp thrice the amount we'll get from MTN.

They have Pastor Chris Oyakhilome
They have Emmanuel TV/T.B Joshua
& many more...

While some folks rejoice over the perceived fall of MTN, Shoprite, and other SA firms in Nigeria, let's always remember they have more Nigerians at their disposal.

Those other stores that you mentioned, are they has prominent as "Shoprite"? If they are then flag them for the appropriate authorities.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by enigma2007(m): 1:46pm On Nov 28, 2015
charlsecy:

Not yet expired!

There is a time limit before they should be taken off the shelves. One month is too close for comfort and therefore there is nothing like "almost"
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by menix(m): 1:49pm On Nov 28, 2015
Abbykem:
grin why not? Nice gap teeth

Chisos!!
Am Blushing..

I dreamt last nite that I will chi a gal friend nd here u come..

I will save u like my last 2k in Lapo bank nd no harm will come to ur heart..
Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by obontami: 1:54pm On Nov 28, 2015
735i:
Okay... E remain DSTV... S/A.. Una go hear am!!!
them never see anything

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by tunapawizzy: 2:09pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:
When it comes to display of stupidityy..U r a pace setter....U have gone beyond redemption

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) by vislabraye(m): 2:31pm On Nov 28, 2015
Farnsworth:

Shoprite can't do this in other countries, why Nigeria ?
I don't think the market will be shut forever. It will serve as a deterrent. Next time they won't consider such.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Get RDP With Admin Access And Dedicated IP Address / Tony Elumelu Shares His Throwback Photo (How It Started Vs How It Is Going) / What Lucrative Business Can A Student Start With #50,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.