Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,195 members, 7,829,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. (648 Views)

Man Sentenced To Death Attempts Suicide At Benin High Court (Photos) / Man That Steals With Snake Caught At Benin New Market, Stripped Unclad By Mob / Military At Benin-Agbor Forest To Rescue Margaret Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. by mikebuddy(m): 4:02pm On Nov 30, 2015
5.30 AM i was already driving out of Ajah heading to Enugu with a tokunbo car i just purchased, it was a smooth ride other than few police stops every now and then, they checked papers and allowed me go.
TWO stops requested for Eguje nicely and i handed them 500 naira each nicely from my heart , they thanked me and i moved on.

I was stopped by the first Nigerian customs i saw and they requested for my customs papers, i was not tensed because i already confirmed from a customs friend that my papers are originals and in Customs system. They kept me for about 20 mins as they called their office to confirm my papers, their office promised to revert but as they took time they allowed me go.

Now i met a different set of customs officers around Benin expressway, am not really familiar with the precise location because this was my first ever time of driving to the east as i used flight in the past, i was also driving alone using google maps to navigate.

Now here is the confusing part of this whole gist, these second customs officers stopped me, asked for my customs papers and i gave them, they checked and one came back and asked me for their "OD". I was confused and asked them what was the OD, i even thought it was a document. But he told me that it is their own tip (BRIBE) , i looked at him and i didnt want to have issues with officers with gun in the middle of nowhere if you understand what i mean. So i gave them 500 naira as i gave the other two police stops i met, but this time these guys declined it, and said their OD was 2000 naira.

I smiled and thought they were joking, i even generously increased it to 1000 naira and to my greatest suprised they declined it again and even got angry.
The one that took my papers told me that if i do not bring the 2000 naira they were going to keep me there forever. I tried to argue that my papers are original and that there is no point collecting money from me, they told me to 'STAY THERE NA'.

I look around and it was forest all over, i simply gave them the 2000 naira and they gave me back my papers. When i got to Enugu and told a friend, he started laughing and told me the same thing happened to him.

My brothers this act has to stop, kindly share this message until it reaches government officials that will take a step to this ill activity.

REMEMBER WE VOTED FOR CHANGE, NOW IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO BE PART OF IT BY SHARING THIS!

This post is also published here http://www.buddiescircle.com/open-day-bribery-and-corruption-by-nigerian-customs-at-benin-express-way/
Re: Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. by actoor(m): 4:06pm On Nov 30, 2015
Story. undecided
Re: Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. by CallMeMadMan: 4:31pm On Nov 30, 2015
Validated Trash
Re: Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. by Virgindove(f): 6:16pm On Nov 30, 2015
mikebuddy:
5.30 AM i was already driving out of Ajah heading to Enugu with a tokunbo car i just purchased, it was a smooth ride other than few police stops every now and then, they checked papers and allowed me go.
TWO stops requested for Eguje nicely and i handed them 500 naira each nicely from my heart , they thanked me and i moved on.

I was stopped by the first Nigerian customs i saw and they requested for my customs papers, i was not tensed because i already confirmed from a customs friend that my papers are originals and in Customs system. They kept me for about 20 mins as they called their office to confirm my papers, their office promised to revert but as they took time they allowed me go.

Now i met a different set of customs officers around Benin expressway, am not really familiar with the precise location because this was my first ever time of driving to the east as i used flight in the past, i was also driving alone using google maps to navigate.

Now here is the confusing part of this whole gist, these second customs officers stopped me, asked for my customs papers and i gave them, they checked and one came back and asked me for their "OD". I was confused and asked them what was the OD, i even thought it was a document. But he told me that it is their own tip (BRIBE) , i looked at him and i didnt want to have issues with officers with gun in the middle of nowhere if you understand what i mean. So i gave them 500 naira as i gave the other two police stops i met, but this time these guys declined it, and said their OD was 2000 naira.

I smiled and thought they were joking, i even generously increased it to 1000 naira and to my greatest suprised they declined it again and even got angry.
The one that took my papers told me that if i do not bring the 2000 naira they were going to keep me there forever. I tried to argue that my papers are original and that there is no point collecting money from me, they told me to 'STAY THERE NA'.

I look around and it was forest all over, i simply gave them the 2000 naira and they gave me back my papers. When i got to Enugu and told a friend, he started laughing and told me the same thing happened to him.

My brothers this act has to stop, kindly share this message until it reaches government officials that will take a step to this ill activity.

REMEMBER WE VOTED FOR CHANGE, NOW IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO BE PART OF IT BY SHARING THIS!

This post is also published here http://www.buddiescircle.com/open-day-bribery-and-corruption-by-nigerian-customs-at-benin-express-way/

But the new CG of customs promised to stop this daylight robbery. I just smiled the day i heard him threatening to jail officers for corruption. An advice for him: You don't fight corruption without considering welfare.

1 Like

Re: Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. by tafabaloo(m): 6:38pm On Nov 30, 2015
Kkkkkkk
Re: Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. by kihemeje96(f): 6:49pm On Nov 30, 2015
This guys' actions need to be recorded and exposed.

1 Like

Re: Open Day 'bribery And Corruption' By Nigerian Customs At Benin Express Way. by Tunami(m): 8:37pm On Nov 30, 2015
sorry my brother thats the kind of country that we find ourselves in, but as for the change that you're saying we voted for is a scam.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

(photo) A Letter Arm Robbers Sent To Some Resident / WAEC Fee: Osun Protesting Pupils Attack Radio Station, Vandalise Vehicles- Punch / Wicked Husband Attempts To Set Pregnant Wife Ablaze (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.