Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? (4115 Views)

Blogger Replies Trace Urban, Mocks Loyal Nigerian Artistes. / Artistes' And Their Stage-names ! / Nigerian Artistes And Poor Live Performances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 10:29am On May 28, 2009
It's so sickening, really. From lip-synching to zero-stage stunts, weak stage presence. . . I could go on and on.
methinks the worst is by far the lip-synchin' thingy. It's so simple, if you really believe in ur voice (and not some studio enhanced ish) then since you dont have a band that can play live music (which should be the case), have CDs with ur instrumentals with you when ur performing so we can at least hear ur voice. If you come and mime over your song, how's that different from the CD we have at home?? angry angry
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rapjunkie(m): 11:25pm On May 29, 2009
like who?
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 9:21am On Jun 01, 2009
like who? You mean like which nigerian artiste is guilty of lip-synchin' etc?
You're jokin, right?
Yeah, that was a nice one. You got me there for a second.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rapjunkie(m): 11:58am On Jun 01, 2009
do all of them do it?
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by dominique(f): 12:28pm On Jun 01, 2009
the funny part is. . .they bring out background singers to sing lip sync wiv them. . .

do they think we dont know that they're only miming sh*t tongue

rapjunkie:

like who?
either you dont watch live shows or you dont know what lipsyncing is.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 12:39pm On Jun 01, 2009
dominique:

the funny part is. . .they bring out background singers to sing lip sync wiv them. . .
grin grin grin
They also spice it up with some 'jumpin around' effects.

dominique:

Gosh!! My sentiments exactly. It's like they are playin on our intelligence and takin' us for fools. What's d point, we know it's ur CD playin, so drop the mic!!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rapjunkie(m): 12:53pm On Jun 01, 2009
dominique:

either you dont watch live shows or you dont know what lipsyncing is.

Take it easy when you talk to me lady angry     I don't discriminate.

U people keep saying 'they' but u havnt called any names. Please give examples, is it that hard? or as i have asked b4,  ARE ALL NAIJA ARTISTS DOING IT?
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 12:58pm On Jun 01, 2009
Heard of numerous cases where the CD skips while they are miming or a different song suddenly plays (Dbanj). . . it's so disgraceful, really.
Read that Tuface once got stoned out of a stage in the US for mimin'. Serves him right!!
It's so disgustin' really. Why do they always do this?
Artistes like Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears, Milli Vanilli (ruined their career, actually) have come under heavy criticisms for doing it in the past, because, over there, they realise that it's despicable!!
Here, we just watch them move their mouths, run around the stage and go home.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 1:06pm On Jun 01, 2009
rapjunkie:

U people keep saying 'they' but u havnt called any names. Please give examples, is it that hard? or as i have asked b4, ARE ALL NAIJA ARTISTS DOING IT?
Okay, I thought you were kiddin when you asked for examples, but since you're serious, I'll humour you.

To make things easy, I'll name a few artistes that I am almost sure will not do it (except for some strange reason). . . Asa, Lagbaja, Femi Kuti.
Now, think of All other Naija artistes. . . . . . . . you're done? That's right. They all do it!!
There you go. You've got your examples. Any other questions??
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rapjunkie(m): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2009
U mean like this? . . . . . . . this is so bad that ikechukwu was even miming don jazzy's and d'banj's parts.

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW01xfsOS_o&hl=en&fs=1"[/flash]

Embarrassing to say the least.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 1:37pm On Jun 01, 2009
Now ur feelin me dawg.
Cant see the video, but I can imagine.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rockyfela(m): 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2009
2face stoned in the US? na waooo, who told u that. big big lie. Can they pay him 2 bring a live ban in the states? most esp if its a club? Its expensive and NO SIR. Ive gone for Tuface's concert here and all they do is play the instrumental and he sings, He even freestyles.

YESS THEY ALL NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR STAGE PERFORMANCES BUT RIGHT NOW I THINK DBANJ, TUFACE AND P SQUARE HAVE GOOD PERFORMANCES ON STAGE.

SOMETIME THEY LIPSYNCH DEPENDING ON WAT SONG AND WHERE. 9ICE HAS GOT TO BE THE WORST PERFORMER AMONG THE HEAVYWEIGHTS. EVEN LILWAYNE AND THE REST THEY LYPSYNCH DEPENDING ON WHERE THEY GO. IF THE STAGE HAS ALL THEY NEED THEY DONT DO THAT.
YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE TO GIVE A PROPER STAGE PERFORMANCE THEY WOULD NEED TO REHEARSE ON THAT STAGE BEFORE THE MAIN DAY WHICH IS OFTEN NOT THE CASE AS THE ARTIST SOPMETIMES ARRIVE ON THE DAY OF THE CONCERT.

IT COST A LOT TO TRANSPORT AND OWN A BAND.

BUT I FEEL U BASED ON UR POINT I AGREE cos sometimes it may become fustrating LIKE that ikechukwus own is jst adamn no.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by audio: 2:47pm On Jun 01, 2009
opensesame:

It's so sickening, really. From lip-synching to zero-stage stunts, weak stage presence. . . I could go on and on.
methinks the worst is by far the lip-synchin' thingy. It's so simple, if you really believe in ur voice (and not some studio enhanced ish) then since you dont have a band that can play live music (which should be the case), have CDs with ur instrumentals with you when ur performing so we can at least hear ur voice. If you come and mime over your song, how's that different from the CD we have at home??  angry angry

Very true. What's the point of paying good money to see someone mime? A taped TV appearance maybe (although that doesn't excuse Ikechukwu), but a live appearance, the CD should only have the PA backing track.  The problem is, they will all get found out if they had to sing live, so none of them will take the risk.

The beauty of a live performance, is that the artist can give you a remix, right there and then. It's an opportunity to be relished, not exploited.

For me, if it ain't live, it ain't worth it.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 4:07pm On Jun 01, 2009
rockyfela:

2face stoned in the US? na waooo, who told u that. big big lie. Can they pay him 2 bring a live ban in the states? most esp if its a club? Its expensive and NO SIR. Ive gone for Tuface's concert here and all they do is play the instrumental and he sings, He even freestyles.
Well, I said I READ that he was booed some time ago. Now, can you prove otherwise?
Can they pay him to bring a live band to Nigeria? My point exactly. If he cant bring a live band, then the least we expect from him (them) is to at least sing to his instrumentals. Not MIME!
And, Yes sir, I have seen a Tuface concert where all they did was play his CD and he sang. He even mimed! tongue

rockyfela:

YESS THEY ALL NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR STAGE PERFORMANCES BUT RIGHT NOW I THINK DBANJ, TUFACE AND P SQUARE HAVE GOOD PERFORMANCES ON STAGE.
Like hell they need to improve.
Pleaaaseeee. The only thing about Dbanj and Psquare's performances is that they are always high on cheap, NAFDAC unregistered drugs tongue. So, they just do unnecessary gra gra on stage (Dbanj esp) backed up by a coupla ugly lookin female dancers. In their early days, Psquare used to spice up their performances with some dope choreography a lot though. That was kool. They still do, but not like b4.

rockyfela:

SOMETIME THEY LIPSYNCH DEPENDING ON WAT SONG AND WHERE. 9ICE HAS GOT TO BE THE WORST PERFORMER AMONG THE HEAVYWEIGHTS. EVEN LILWAYNE AND THE REST THEY LYPSYNCH DEPENDING ON WHERE THEY GO. IF THE STAGE HAS ALL THEY NEED THEY DONT DO THAT.
They mime dependin' on THE SONG?? You've got to be kiddin, right? If you did it in the studio, why cant you do it on stage?
Listen, there are a coupla reasons why some artistes may mime. . .
1) Production quality for broadcast may be considered
2) Vocal issues with the artiste at that pt in time
3) Performin some dance routines and singin at the same time could be really technical and difficult
But, there is no acceptable excuse for miming, whatsoever!!
Now, if for the reasons above and any other remotely okay reason, an artiste mimes, say, once a year, we would understand.
Not the HABITUAL LIP-SYNCHERS in Naij!
PS. Jus cos Lil wayne mimes dont make it okay!

audio:

The beauty of a live performance, is that the artist can give you a remix, right there and then. It's an opportunity to be relished, not exploited.
God Bless you, bro!
That's the thing about a band. Saw Asa's performance once. It was A Beauty. Music as it should be.
It's flexible, you hear and appreciate live instruments being played. The Art Of Music!!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Bamsyle(m): 5:57pm On Jun 01, 2009
A lot of songs produced nowadays are crap on good beats . . . it gets worse by the day - an artiste enters the studio and records trash that he likes to think is good music . . . the so-called producers lace the trash over good beats . . . then comes the mixing, the digital mastering and all . . .

And presto, an album's out.

Now, when it's time for the artiste to reel out the same songs on stage, it becomes a problem . . . fact is, the artiste knew from the onset that he sang trash . . . he/she'll never want to disgrace him/herself by performing the song live . . . it's like stripping an ugly gurl of her makeup in broad daylight . . .

There are some stupid songs one hears and you can imagine what they'll sound like when performed live . . . you can hear the song behind the song and feel the trash when stripped of the studio effects.

Just as it is with acting, the test of a true artiste is on the stage.

Some peops are fooled by studio effects . . . but those who have ears know the real deal.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rapjunkie(m): 11:42pm On Jun 01, 2009
Bamsyle:

A lot of songs produced nowadays are crap on good beats . . . it gets worse by the day - an artiste enters the studio and records trash that he likes to think is good music . . . the so-called producers lace the trash over good beats . . . then comes the mixing, the digital mastering and all . . .

Now, when it's time for the artiste to reel out the same songs on stage, it becomes a problem . . . fact is, the artiste knew from the onset that he sang trash . . . he/she'll never want to disgrace him/herself by performing the song live . . . it's like stripping an ugly gurl of her makeup in broad daylight . . .

There are some stupid songs one hears and you can imagine what they'll sound like when performed live . . . you can hear the song behind the song and feel the trash when stripped of the studio effects.

Some peops are fooled by studio effects . . . but those who have ears know the real deal.

so true, so true . . . . . . . . . .  grin grin grin
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Nobody: 12:30am On Jun 02, 2009
Bamsyle:

Rotflmao!!!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by simonseez: 6:40am On Jun 02, 2009
Open Sesame, u really did open this sesame for me,

Lord knows how long i've had this on my mind, u know what really annoys me, even when they dont mime their songs, they sing it exactly the same way its on the CD. when i go to watch a concert, i go to watch the xtras, pls,if i wanted to hear the song the same way, i'll play the CD and watch ur video, its the extra effects that matter, thats where Dbanj and Psquare stand out, Aside Tuface singing African Queen where he tries to pick a girl from the crowd, he is awful, 9ICE needs help, hes terrible on stage, who is not tired of him swingin his right arm and turning around with 3 of his homeboys,

watch Dare Art Alade and u'll know what a real performance is, i think its worse cos our artistes dnt play musical instruments, just youtube John Legend performing 'If you out there' live and you'll be blown away,

As for me if Dare, Asa, Mode 9 or M.I aint performing, i'll sit my butt at home and wait for the clips on HipTV, i aint paying money to watch someone jumping and shouting Gborie won fokasibe,
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by mbulela: 6:47am On Jun 02, 2009
i have been waiting for this thread for a long while.
last year i attended a couple of concerts and i was terribly disappointed.
first, let us separate the issue of lip syncing and poor stage performance.
i have seen dbanj lip sync on two occasions although he has one of the better stage performances of the lot (p squared are another).
i attended Faze album launch and it left a lot to be desired.
this whole idea of playing from a CD is sickening.it is killing real music.
i have seen tuface perform twice and on both occasions i was horribly disappointed.
his stage act is zero.
on the other hand, i watched Femi Kuti perform at some international festival and without mincing words, it was one of the best musical experiences of my life.
it was over 4 years ago and my opinion has not changed.
the experience of good live music is a feeling that can remain with you for a life time.it is priceless.
any artiste that offers you less, is taking you for a life and does not deserve my time and presence.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by mbulela: 6:51am On Jun 02, 2009
simon seez
i just said a prayer for you.
from the depth of my heart, may God bless you.
to everything you said, i say Gbam!!!!

Nigerian artistes should try and learn a musical instrument. it is not a crime.

the day i pay money to watch Tuface and 9ice (if they are the best offer on the bill), is the day i check myself into a psychiatric ward.
then my madness is confirmed.
it is that bad.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by mbulela: 6:56am On Jun 02, 2009
this is my final take;
if it is not any of the following playing life count me out.

KSA (despite my limited yoruba)
lagbaja
femi kuti
sunny nneji
TWO

for the rest, i will stick to CDs and watch the lame performance on CD.
if i am there already, i will watch Dbanj and Psquared (leave that talk about cheap stuff wey dem smoke. no be the same thing wey tubaba and 9ice dey smoke?). as for the rest, no thank you.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 9:36am On Jun 02, 2009
@Bamsyle, Simon seez and mbulela. . . . Well said guys!!

Bamsyle:

Walahi, it just seems like So many Nigerians are fooled by their antics on stage, judging by the way we dont seem to mind their poor performances.

mbulela:

Nigerian artistes should try and learn a musical instrument. it is not a crime.
About time too. I just feel you're a complete musician (not just a singer) when you can play one or too artfully.

mbulela:

the day i pay money to watch Tuface and 9ice (if they are the best offer on the bill), is the day i check myself into a psychiatric ward.
then my madness is confirmed.
it is that bad.
grin grin grin

mbulela:

this is my final take;
if it is not any of the following playing life count me out.

KSA (despite my limited yoruba)
lagbaja
femi kuti
sunny nneji
TWO
True, true. The guyz above do live shows good. Permit me to add The one and only ASA!!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by mbulela: 12:07pm On Jun 02, 2009
you are permitted my broda.
this thing tire me.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by tosinaded(m): 12:31pm On Jun 02, 2009
who gives 2 fuccs if they mime?
next abeg. . . . . .
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by princesa(f): 12:40pm On Jun 02, 2009
uhm . . . . . . . undecided
i dont see nothing bad if they mime as far as the whole stage show got flavour
you know
colourful costume . . . .P square
nice Dancer . . . . must be chorographed
good entrance
superb exit . . . . . then am ok smiley
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 1:26pm On Jun 02, 2009
tosinaded@:

who gives 2 fuccs if they mime?
next abeg. . . . . .
My sentiments exactly!! who cares, right? You know wot they say abt diff strokes, right?
You dont mind goin to a concert, listening to the same CD u listen to every day, watchin' the artiste open and close his mouth, jumpin up and down. That's kool, bro. You dont even mind if the CD skips while they are 'chewing' their mouths, right? A kind soul you are! We need more people like you in this world.
I, on the other hand, would love to go to a concert and hear an artiste perform a song in his own voice, in a different way from what I have on my CD. I don't mind listening to some live instruments being played. I appreciate The Art of Music that way. Goodness! People like me just ask for way too much from the poor artistes. It's terrible!

princesa:

i dont see nothing bad if they mime as far as the whole stage show got flavour
Yeah, I bet you dont. It's nice of you to say that. Flavor, ei? Like the smokey effects, right? Now, that's wot I call flavor!

princesa:

good entrance
Yeah, like runnin' into the stage!
Well, I'd luv 2 see entrances like. . . coming in from the roof of the stage, from underneath the stage, In a car, bike or som'n.

princesa:

superb exit . . . . . then am ok smiley
Yeah, like runnin' outta the stage.
No, seriously, may I ask wot superb entrances and exits you've actually seen that left you satisfied? Just curious?

princesa:

colourful costume . . . .P square
Colourful costume! Awww aren't u a darlin. Here I am askin for all the stage stunts in the world (for my miserly, wot, N5000) and all she needs is for them to wear blue shirts and blue shoes to match. Spiced up with red and yellow bandanas. You see why we need more of y'all on earth. Kind souls.

Listen up guyz. I've not been privileged to attend concerts of Michael Jackson, The Corrs, John Legend, Madonna. . . I could go on and on. But, I have at least seen them on TV, and when I look back at the crap most of our shows are, I just dont bother to attend them anymore.
It's simple, we just need a different concert experience. Get a band. . . if you cant, at least record your instrumentals (remixed ones as well) and sing or rap to them. . . not mime!! for Pete's sake (we did that in sec school), cos I would like to know that my beloved artiste's voice wasnt just enhanced at the studio. Stage effects. . . get creative. Not all the stage stunts we see are that expensive, really. A lil, creativity and we'll be wowed. Coupled with well rehearsed choreography, connection with the audience. . . . Bingo!!
PS. Please, please and please, someone get rid of those ugly female dancers. . . they suck!!

But hey, who are we to ask for too much  wink
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by tosinaded(m): 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2009
like i said before, i dnt give 2fuccs!!!!!

is it shows in naija dat av over 15artistes performing in the space of like 5hrs dat u want live bands lets be realistic abeg!!!!!
till artistes start aving personal concerts, the[b] trend will continue [/b] and people will keep enjoying them like that!!!!!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by princesa(f): 2:05pm On Jun 02, 2009
@opensesame
am bent up with laughter to even see straight mehn!!
nice analyzing there cheesy cheesy

but d time factor as tosin said needs your consideration hunh wink
and those girl . . . . . i take your side . . . . the are Pathetic angry
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 2:32pm On Jun 02, 2009
tosinaded@:

is it shows in naija dat av over 15artistes performing in the space of like 5hrs dat u want live bands lets be realistic abeg!!!!!
em. . . my post below should answer the question of bands

opensesame:

Get a band. . . if you cant, at least record your instrumentals (remixed ones as well) and sing or rap to them. . . not mime!! for Pete's sake (we did that in sec school), cos I would like to know that my beloved artiste's voice wasnt just enhanced at the studio.

Time? Lack of time? What excuse won't I hear now? Well, first, most shows are usually from 8 p.m. or so till 'mama calls'. grin Secondly, if Asa had 4 mins to sing to me, I'd still love to hear her voice live, not the SAME CD I have @ home. Kapish??

tosinaded@:

the[b] trend will continue [/b] and people will keep enjoying them like that!!!!!
Oh I dont doubt that!! People will keep enjoying them alright. People like . . . you!! wink

princesa:

@opensesame
am bent up with laughter to even see straight mehn!!
nice analyzing there cheesy cheesy
Thank you, sweetie. You're far too kind cool
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by ziga: 2:33pm On Jun 02, 2009
rapjunkie:

U mean like this? . . . . . . . this is so bad that ikechukwu was even miming don jazzy's and d'banj's parts.

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW01xfsOS_o&hl=en&fs=1"[/flash]

Embarrassing to say the least.

If you really watch this video, you will notice that you cant even hear the crowd. Whoever put this up on youtube most likely overdubbed on top of the real audio. And again, the video was out of sync with the audio.

I've seen a couple of live perfomances from Nigerian artistes and they have been superb. A lot of them DO NOT lip sync. They might not have a band and all that. But they are doing really good. The Nigerian music industry pulled themselves all the way up there, which is very impressive.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Bamsyle(m): 2:40pm On Jun 02, 2009
@opensesame

Hehe . . . you're crazy . . .  grin

Don't pay Nigerian tomfools no mind . . . that's why virtually every institution in Nigeria has collapsed . . . they're satisfied with every mediocre thing that comes their way . . . they're ok with the epileptic power supply, the so-called leaders who're actually rulers, the crap music being churned out by peops who're better off selling puff-puff . . .

And when some fella tries to decry some of these acts, some mules would come up and say "There's no need to complain, we can manage"!

You can sell poop to some Nigerians if it's well packaged.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by obinna5000(m): 2:44pm On Jun 02, 2009
Not all of them lip-sync on their songs during stage performances. Some use the instrumental of the song and sing over it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Zoro - Enyi + Obiageli Ft Wizboyy + Papawa ( Is He Phyno's Nemesis?) / MP3 Download: Olamide – Eyan Mayweather / Lil Kesh Ft Olamide Logo Benz Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.