Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,107 members, 7,818,306 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? (4124 Views)

Blogger Replies Trace Urban, Mocks Loyal Nigerian Artistes. / Artistes' And Their Stage-names ! / Nigerian Artistes And Poor Live Performances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Bamsyle(m): 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2009
Yep . . . but right now, we're talkin' bout those who either fart (through their mouths of course) on those instrumentals . . . or lip-sync . . . it's daylight murder.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by obinna5000(m): 2:58pm On Jun 02, 2009
But its not mandatory to use live-bands during stage performances.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by audio: 3:11pm On Jun 02, 2009
obinna5000:

But its not mandatory to use live-bands during stage performances.

I think you're missing the point. You don't have to bring a live band, but at least SING LIVE to your backing track.
I was watching the Kennis Birthday/Easter jamboree on BEN TV. Bracket were performing Yori Yori.
Problem was, there was only one mic and there 2 of them. Did that stop them, no way. They just carried on. They were singing each others parts, sometimes, the mic wasn't even to be seen, they just danced with the ladies in the crowd like some cheap nollywood film. Meanwhile, they're voices are blasting. I think the CD jamed at one point, but i can't confirm this. It was really pathetic.

If these shows were all free, fine. But if you've paid,
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2009
Now, this was funny. . .
Bamsyle:

You can sell poop to some Nigerians if it's well packaged.

and this. . .
Bamsyle:

Yep . . . but right now, we're talkin' bout those who either fart (through their mouths of course) on those instrumentals . . . or lip-sync . . . it's daylight murder.
grin grin grin
Still ROTFLMAO!!
Seriously though. We cant really tell what comes out of their mouths while their CDs blast. . . . prolly cursin all of us, like, shege, banza, danchukubanku. . . grin grin

audio:

I think you're missing the point. You don't have to bring a live band, but at least SING LIVE to your backing track.
*sigh* *sigh* *sigh*

Thank you so much audio and bamsyle. Some folks jus dont geddit!

Bamsyle:

Don't pay Nigerian tomfools no mind . . .
Yeah dude. I'ma have to take ur advice. Like I said, some folks dont (and will never ) geddit! wink
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rockyfela(m): 5:27pm On Jun 02, 2009
i dont see anything wrong wiv tuface's performances. Maybe you watched him years ago, but as of right now he is really good. The best performance we have had in canada.

another very good performance here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX2BdCGMs0o

watch this: i dont think he is lipsynching here either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1QjGeczLQ

Events like Hiphop world awards, perfprmances there 4rm our artiste have alwaiz been off the hoook,
dbnanj 2 yrs ago was of the hook, This year ii learnt tuface shot the house down mimimng with chains and a cruel guard to his song freee, Dare was gud with his keyboard on stage, omawumi did well, MI also.

I think it depends on the show, if it is their(artist's) own concert and they have time 2 rehearse with bands they can give better performances, Sometimes also it depends on the amount they are paid b4 they finish sharing it to their bands how much go remain? HOW MANY SHOW ORGANISERS WANT TO PAY FOR THE TRANSPORTATION OF LARGE BANDS?  personally even when we try to bring naija artist to the states and all, the cost of even flying the artist and one of his backup 1st class is a lot,  minus wat you would pay them for performing, hotel and all,  Talkless of a band. How much are people paying for tickets? how much you rent a hall? how many people would come? They arrive a day before the show and u expect them to bring bands, perform stunts and all. PLSSSSSSSSSSS giv me a break.

It depends on the organisers of the shows. If they want and can afford all that,  the artist would give you that.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Bamsyle(m): 5:49pm On Jun 02, 2009
Two million raging hurricanes in a zillion thundering tornadoes . . . for the umpteenth time we ain't talking about live bands only . . . all we're saying is this - when it's stage performance, an artiste should and ought to sing with his raw voice . . . could be a band or instrumental . . . RAW VOICE!!!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rockyfela(m): 6:11pm On Jun 02, 2009
k i feel wat u saying bamsyle and i totally agree.
PS: did u watch the vids i posted? raw voice singing.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by jerryx50: 6:16pm On Jun 02, 2009
Thanks to the creator of this thread, I've always told people dat nigerians hip hop artsites dont perform live but they only mime their songs on stage unlike FUJI or JUJU artistes and other foreign HIPHOP artistes, all you need from the DJ or BAND is good beats and sing along with your mouth and not miming, Peace out !!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by princesa(f): 6:20pm On Jun 02, 2009
obviously its a headache for nigerians
first post and jerryx50 couldnt help but lament cool

why would we continue aguing over what cannot be corrected
too much blood or what
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Bamsyle(m): 6:34pm On Jun 02, 2009
@rockyfela

Haven't seen the videos but I know 2face ain't that bad on stage . . . I mean - I've seen some of his live performances that weren't good enough but overall, he's good.

I know there are many indices of a good stage performance but what I'm even particularly on is the raw voice . . . I saw 2face sing his African Queen a cappella and though I do not like the song, his voice was enthralling . . . I'm -vely on some artistes like Olu Maintain who cannot only sing properly, he sings totally off-key and off-beat most times.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by dominique(f): 8:44pm On Jun 02, 2009
the thing is
people are too starstruck to give a hoot if they're getting a quality stage performance
as far as they've seen their idol. . . thats good enough

audio:

I was watching the Kennis Birthday/Easter jamboree on BEN TV. Bracket were performing Yori Yori.
Problem was, there was only one mic and there 2 of them. Did that stop them, no way. They just carried on. They were singing each others parts, sometimes, the mic wasn't even to be seen, they just danced with the ladies in the crowd like some cheap nollywood film. Meanwhile, they're voices are blasting. I think the CD jamed at one point, but i can't confirm this. It was really pathetic.

If these shows were all free, fine. But if you've paid,
ROTFLMAO grin grin grin grin
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 02, 2009
good topic

I agree - if you are not a good performer then just stick to be a recording artist

Once my company invited D'banj - performance was zero I'm not his fan but i was highly dissapointed. Our MD asked "is that it?'

Second time he came a year later- he brought his band - his entrance was good, he remixed many of his hits and sang a few new ones. Its seems he took all the criticisms

Many of these artists just insult our intelligence
even if they cant get a band - they could play with a musical instrument or get someone else to play one
or even sing accapella! Leave us with memories that anyone else who didnt attend will be jealous of
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by wanville(m): 12:13am On Jun 03, 2009
;d
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by mbulela: 2:01am On Jun 03, 2009
well, everyman to himself.
i have watched tuface a few times and i was not impressed at all.
the last time was a close to 10 months ago.
anyway, i am not willing to give him nor 9ice another chance in live performances.
case closed.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by mbulela: 2:14am On Jun 03, 2009
maybe because i have seen some gud stage performances in my short time.performances where the songs do not sound exactly like the versions on the CD, the artiste take out a word or add two and at the end leave you with an experience.
that might be why i am not too keen on this miming, instrumentals - voice on top stuff.
the excuse of time does not hold much water because i have seen personal shows of these artistes and it is not any different.
no need calling names again but seen the guys we are discussing singing for over 30 mins, yet it is voice over an instrumental. haba!!!
i see that some people are okay with it. this has just been an oppurtunity for those of us who are not, to air our views and recognise those who go the extra mile and do not see the paying audience as fools.
to Tosin and co, i bet you if you have a night of 9ice and some comedian (maybe basket),just the two of performing at the show, 9ice (or insert any of the others) will still sing over an instrumental CD and be doing that lame 'put your hands up in the air' stunts.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by TCUBE(m): 3:18am On Jun 03, 2009
I think the question should be directed to the so-called musicians
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by opensesame: 8:12am On Jun 03, 2009
Bamsyle:

Two million raging hurricanes in a zillion thundering tornadoes . . . for the umpteenth time we ain't talking about live bands only . . . all we're saying is this - when it's stage performance, an artiste should and ought to sing with his raw voice . . . could be a band or instrumental . . . RAW VOICE!!!
My broda. . . I tire oooooo.

dominique:

the thing is
people are too starstruck to give a hoot if they're getting a quality stage performance
as far as they've seen their idol. . . thats good enough
GBAM!!!

salsera:

I agree - if you are not a good performer then just stick to be a recording artist
Exactly! Trust me, you wont get arrested for being a recording artiste.

salsera:

Second time he came a year later- he brought his band - his entrance was good, he remixed many of his hits and sang a few new ones. Its seems he took all the criticisms
That's not too much to ask for, is it?
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by frijos(m): 10:52am On Jun 03, 2009
I don't know about other artistes but as ya'll know i'm Olusesi "sesiluv" Omosetan a naija artiste on the come-up.

I have my single on a CD. I leave the chorus/hooks part and the rest is the instrumental so I just sing my verses live so the audience can feel the power of my voice.

For now that's what I do until I can organise for backup singers to take my chorus while I sing. So pple, how is that?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5801868521f7a66b/ ------------->Emi Na Ti Hammer------------->Olusesi Omosetan
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by audio: 11:18am On Jun 03, 2009
LOL, @ Frijos, you never give up. I like that. Keep hustling, but don't use every opportunity for self promotion. Why don't you build a website or MySpace and put your tracks there. Put it as a footer on your tag and people will be able to see it all the time.

@ topic. I have been priviledged to see a few  shows since i've been in London and i have to say, there is no comparison. The main problem with Nigeria is, they take the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" to the extreme. Same aplies to Nollywood. They just keep churning out the same shit.

Only when someone raises the bar and recieves acknowledgment for it will things start improving. The only problem with that is, a lot of artists live careers will be over.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Shyn: 11:23am On Jun 03, 2009
I dnt even undstnd hw d producers and editor feel abt d story-line and lyrics dy use.Its so annoyng.Nigerian artists ar copy-cats.I wnda where dy ar going 2.God wil help us.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by dtwsola(m): 12:42pm On Jun 03, 2009
It's not just Nigerian hip-hop. I think the rap/hip-hop genre usually just does not grant itself well to live performance. I've been to a few quality hip-hop concerts (Roots, Black Star, Common, even Jay-Z), but most were complete rubbish. Hip Hop artists for the most part are talentless, imho. Rap is fun to listen to on your car stereo, but it is hardly well replicated on the stage. I've been lucky to see live performances like Prince, Femi Kuti, Lagbaja, and even a few rock concerts, and I would see any of these before going to a live rap show again.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by stmanpule(m): 1:29pm On Jun 03, 2009
i'm a stage actor, please shed more light on your point.
http://mycomputersworld..com
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by frijos(m): 1:53pm On Jun 03, 2009
Audio how na? I kinda like that nickname audio. ur my guy u kool. notin do u o!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by BenHundred(m): 3:29am On Jun 04, 2009
It is very bad indeed and I'm also sick of hearing artists trying to sound "american/ britsih" and making a fool of themselves.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Bamsyle(m): 9:49am On Jun 04, 2009
dtw_sola:

I think the rap/hip-hop genre usually just does not grant itself well to live performance. I've been to a few quality hip-hop concerts (Roots, Black Star, Common, even Jay-Z), but most were complete rubbish. Hip Hop artists for the most part are talentless, imho. Rap is fun to listen to on your car stereo, but it is hardly well replicated on the stage. I've been lucky to see live performances like Prince, Femi Kuti, Lagbaja, and even a few rock concerts, and I would see any of these before going to a live rap show again.

My friend stop making all these general and unfounded assertions . . .

It's all in the engineering/sound-mixing . . . you don't expect that the kind of mixing that'll go well with rock, pop, afrobeat, even fuji and akpala would be suitable for a rap performance . . . Rap is different from all other genres of music - it is a spoken word form of music . . . there are not so many engineers that are good at setting up a proper sound mix for Rap Concerts . . . most of 'em excel at other genres cos they're sung and not spoken anyway . . .

It also depends on the artiste too . . . some artistes are so skilled they can improvise with whatever crap sound mixing you give 'em . . . Roots, Black Star, Common, and Jay-Z that you mentioned - were their performances as dismal as what some Naija artistes do on stage?? . . . I've seen Roots, Common and Jay-Z and they were cool on stage . . . have you ever watched Nas on stage before?? what of Q-Tip, Redman/Methodman? . . . I can go on.

You should have been at the Dre/Ice Cube/Snoop/Eminem- led Up In Smoke Tour . . .

Bottom line is - letz hear your raw voice . . . don't lip-sync . . . it's disgusting . . . I might as well go see a karaoke performance.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by rapjunkie(m): 1:56pm On Jun 04, 2009
Bamsyle:

Bottom line is - letz hear your raw voice . . . don't lip-sync . . . it's disgusting . . . I might as well go see a karaoke performance.

at least they sing live!!!
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Bamsyle(m): 2:56pm On Jun 04, 2009
Yes o . . . but the difference is that you already have notice of what you're about to see . . . it's different from paying for a live show, only to be given a pre-recorded performance.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 04, 2009
Waste of money some concerts are.

Thank God for TV, comfort of my couch and it's cheaper.

Blewdy Hell.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by frijos(m): 4:35pm On Jun 04, 2009
ibkaye:

Blewdy Hell.

LOL
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by origina9ja(f): 10:20am On Jun 05, 2009
I thought I was the only one thinking like this
I don’t care what people call me, Cheap or ungrateful, o well I just don’t appreciate their performance.
I honestly can’t spend even £10 on shit like that
tori kini
9ice is the most annoying one why because his performance wasn’t up 2 my expectation and I really like him but of course he flopped. I understand that he is sort-of new however I was still expecting a Grammy kind of performance. All I could see is him smiling and jumping around with his poor stage setting. Did I pay for him to be exercising himself on stage?? Plan garbage angry angry I wonder if they even went for rehearsal. His dancers were just so disorganised and keep talking to each other on the stage which they ought not to do. In concluding, the performance was just damn poor

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-25080.0.html
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by shilling(f): 11:17am On Jun 08, 2009
@opensesame

This is so entirely true. I think most of our artistes think you have to prance about the stage to be a good performer, and lip-synch (no doubt). The likes of Psquare, DBanj, TuFace, 9ice, etc really need to improve. I love 'em to bits, but I wonder if they actually watch themselves after the show, and what they think. In this credit crunch, I wonder why someone would spend their hard-earned money watching them live.

On the other hand, kudos to Asa and Femi Kuti. Watched Asa recently at the Africa Day concert in SA, amazing as usual.
Re: When Will Nigerian Artistes Improve Their Stage Performances? by ifababa(m): 4:19pm On Jun 09, 2009
Nigerian artiste will improve their stage perfomance when we have 1 good music company to start with, The artistes will then start to see that becoming an ARTISTE is not just as easy as they could ever have dreamt it is,

9ice cant even move on stage jez!!!,,
2face was singing with a live band and God he looks like a nursery school child trying to recite jack and jill,
Artquake on a T.v interview even forgot his own lines,

That is the reason why Asa will never win much award in this country as this shouting people that calls themselves artistes, Because she no be their mate !!!!

The only present ones that a good music company would signon from our nigerian artistes lists are,

Femi Kuti
Asa
P-square

Omawunmi-- In the making
Faze--- In the making
Dbanj-- In the making
Tuface-- In the making
Rhymzo-- In the making
9ice-- Beginners category

You see what i mean, And so many producers would dust their secondary school certificates and go to school , the learned ones would practise their profession of study strictly, Simply because there would be no ones to patronise them in music because of its standard, Only ones like Cobhams,Wole oni and a few others would survive the test of quality,

I advocate for a good music company, 1 to start with coz we have NONE so far in the country, I rest my case

Ifababa

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is VIC O the greatest Naija musician? / DOWNLOAD: Mohbad – End Sars • Mp3 / Radio Nigeria Fm Stations Now Stream Live Online.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.