Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,054 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 (1728 Views)

Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms / 5 Most Abused Words By Nairalanders / A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by Hapuya: 6:35am On Dec 02, 2015
2015 will be over soon. It will soon be a thing of the past. Deservingly some overused words here on nairaland should die with 2015!

1. 'Unclad' - By this point, I have an automatic revulsion whenever my eyes caught this word in a nairaland topic headline or in the body of the post. WTF is unclad??! 90% of users of this word have no inkling of what it means. If they come across the photo of Tonto Dike sweeping Mr Churchill's compound in a wrapper tied over her chest, they will hurry down here to epileptically declared that she has been caught "unclad"! I can imagine the raving madness in their eyes as they type the topic. WTF??!

2. 'Stuns/Stunning' - At the rate these words pops up all over nairaland and other blogs, you will think Nigeria is overflowing with stunners! It doesn't matter which dress the celebrity is wearing, Mofos will still declared maddeningly that "Mrs X stuns in her bathroom slippers" Mr AY in the same shoes for 9 days running continue to 'stun' the sheeples. Practically anything stuns the users of these words. In fact are you guys okay at all? I don't see how anybody can be stunned this much within a single day and not go dazed and mad! If the use of the word is correct, then every single girl on the road should be termed a 'flock of stunners' cos some of them dresses better that these celebs all the time without fail and with minimal budget. WTF??

3. 'Hilarious' - Are we (you) all mad? If everything is hilarious and funny to some of you guys, I am afraid there is something more to it o. You don't find some things 'amusing'? 'Witty'?It definitely has to be hilarious? As in, you rolled on the floor and feel pains in your ribs when you see the thing? WTF??!

4. 'Clueless' - Guys, GEJ is gone now, can we all chill a bit? I recognize that there are still a lot of people is his exceptional mould hanging around here and on other blogs or sites but can we find other choice words or adjectives to qualify them? Such as 'future-less idiots' for instance? Just saying...WTF tho??!

5. 'My Joystick' - Dem swear for una?? Is there a permanent 'blue' tarpaulin over the area you grew up? What the actual f@#k??!

I am sure there are more annoyingly overused words that deserves a timely death, feel free, the floor is open.

There are however some words I never get tired of seeing. 'Mbok' is a strangely cute word which I don't even know the meaning. It's small and full at the same time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by CecyAdrian(f): 6:51am On Dec 02, 2015
Wyat about "Eggplant"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by braine(m): 7:07am On Dec 02, 2015
'End Time' should follow too.

End time comment

8 Likes

Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by chaptersix(m): 7:21am On Dec 02, 2015
especially unclad
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by amunekeuto: 12:06pm On Dec 02, 2015
Hapuya:
2015 will be over soon. It will soon be a thing of the past. Deservingly some overused words here on nairaland should die with 2015!

1. 'Unclad' - By this point, I have an automatic revulsion whenever my eyes caught this word in a nairaland topic headline or in the body of the post. WTF is unclad??! 90% of users of this word have no inkling of what it means. If they come across the photo of Tonto Dike sweeping Mr Churchill's compound in a wrapper tied over her chest, they will hurry down here to epileptically declared that she has been caught "unclad"! I can imagine the raving madness in their eyes as they type the topic. WTF??!

2. 'Stuns/Stunning' - At the rate these words pops up all over nairaland and other blogs, you will think Nigeria is overflowing with stunners! It doesn't matter which dress the celebrity is wearing, Mofos will still declared maddeningly that "Mrs X stuns in her bathroom slippers" Mr AY in the same shoes for 9 days running continue to 'stun' the sheeples. Practically anything stuns the users of these words. In fact are you guys okay at all? I don't see how anybody can be stunned this much within a single day and not go dazed and mad! If the use of the word is correct, then every single girl on the road should be termed a 'flock of stunners' cos some of them dresses better that these celebs all the time without fail and with minimal budget. WTF??

3. 'Hilarious' - Are we (you) all mad? If everything is hilarious and funny to some of you guys, I am afraid there is something more to it o. You don't find some things 'amusing'? 'Witty'?It definitely has to be hilarious? As in, you rolled on the floor and feel pains in your ribs when you see the thing? WTF??!

4. 'Clueless' - Guys, GEJ is gone now, can we all chill a bit? I recognize that there are still a lot of people is his exceptional mould hanging around here and on other blogs or sites but can we find other choice words or adjectives to qualify them? Such as 'future-less idiots' for instance? Just saying...WTF tho??!

5. 'My Joystick' - Dem swear for una?? Is there a permanent 'blue' tarpaulin over the area you grew up? What the actual f@#k??!

I am sure there are more annoyingly overused words that deserves a timely death, feel free, the floor is open.

There are however some words I never get tired of seeing. 'Mbok' is a strangely cute word which I don't even know the meaning. It's small and full at the same time.
what about change?

2 Likes

Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 02, 2015
OP you are a learner. Nairaland has an auto correct feature. If you actually create topics, you should have noticed it.

When you type NAKE,D Nairaland auto corrects it to Unclad.

Same as when you type SBA,N (as in space bookers association of Nairaland) it auto corrects to "Nairaland'' it as well.

1 Like

Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by mizmia: 2:04pm On Dec 02, 2015
Abobaku should also be banned.
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by tempem: 2:33pm On Dec 02, 2015
Hapuya:

valid point. How about scrapping WTF?! It's been overused. Infact, a close example is your valid post.
Edited.
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by Hapuya: 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2015
tempem:
valid point. How about scraping WTF?! It's been overused. Infact, a close example is your valid post.

I see you are not a fan of sarcasm. Point appreciated though.

It's "scrapping" sha.
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by tempem: 2:59pm On Dec 02, 2015
Hapuya:

I see you are not a fan of sarcasm. Point appreciated though.
It's "scrapping" sha.
Thanks, man. You gotta re-edit that part.
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by koolJ1(f): 4:17pm On Dec 02, 2015
I'm totally with you on this one op; especially 'stun' (stunners! undecided) and 'hilarious' (really?)

Another dimwitted one is "Bleep wants you to see her Bleep" WTF people! angry

it just goes to show the sensationalism of today's "journalism". Sensation sells

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by Johnkantius97(m): 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2015
Nairaland
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by Babamide(m): 7:32pm On Dec 02, 2015
What's wrong with MY JOYSTICK
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by Teryfik(m): 7:38pm On Dec 02, 2015
Where is BIAFRA
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by MosquitoLaps(m): 9:26pm On Dec 02, 2015
OP, have you ever heard of the auto correct bot?
Try typing "Abo.ki" in full and see whether it won't be changed to Northerner.
The word that angers me most due to its over usage is "Stunning".
I mean, WTF?!
Is it every rag a celebrity wears that make her stunning?
I kinda find people or bloggers that use this headline as mere attention seekers.
Nothing more.
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by mrwiddy(m): 9:41pm On Dec 02, 2015
Iluv:
OP you are a learner. Nairaland has an auto correct feature. If you actually create topics, you should have noticed it.

When you type NAKE,D Nairaland auto corrects it to Unclad.

Same as when you type SBA,N (as in space bookers association of Nairaland) it auto corrects to "Nairaland'' it as well.
NAKED
Nairaland:what reveal
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 02, 2015
Dumb no follow?
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by alotofgrace(m): 12:36am On Dec 03, 2015
My crush angry grin grin
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by drizslim(m): 12:39am On Dec 03, 2015
End Time

X

I Live In France should stop as well undecided

X

Adorable Picture Comment Too
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by GP2015(m): 4:09am On Dec 03, 2015
WTF should stopped being misused as well, last time i checked it meant whatsapp twitter and facebook op
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by sktop: 4:13am On Dec 03, 2015
abi
Re: Overused And Abused Words That Should Die With 2015 by Oyetboy(m): 6:45am On Dec 03, 2015
even LALASTICLALA should be stopped, people been dey call the name too much, even on useless posts

(1) (Reply)

Soundcity/mtn Campus Blast / 33 / Unilag Post Utme Has Been Postponed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.