Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

The Religious Mind? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Religious Mind? (7647 Views)

The Truth Vs The Religious Deception. / A Case Against Nabeel Qureshi. The Stupidity Of The Religious. / How The Religious Views Atheist In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
wiegraf:

errr..why??
Because that's when a human is formed.
Re: The Religious Mind? by wiegraf: 11:58pm On Dec 15, 2015
Reyginus:
Because that's when a human is formed.

Says who?!
Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 2:14am On Dec 16, 2015
Is a zygote self-conscious?

Islam says it's after a certain number of months.
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 6:31am On Dec 16, 2015
wiegraf:

Says who?!
Biology. Science. What's yours?
Re: The Religious Mind? by wiegraf: 8:31am On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:

I'm confused. How do you expect to get away with such a blatant lie??
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 16, 2015
wiegraf:

I'm confused. How do you expect to get away with such a blatant lie??
A lie? Go ahead. Show me how.
Re: The Religious Mind? by wiegraf: 11:38am On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
A lie? Go ahead. Show me how.

Err, you remember how you didn't want me to do your work for you? Well, right back at you. Abi you want to make things easy for me and give a wonderful demonstration of hypocrisy?

So, which science or biology told you that life begins at the "point of fertilization to form a zygote"??

Genuinely baffled.....
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 16, 2015
wiegraf:

Err, you remember how you didn't want me to do your work for you? Well, right back at you. Abi you want to make things easy for me and give a wonderful demonstration of hypocrisy?

So, which science or biology told you that life begins at the "point of fertilization to form a zygote"??

Genuinely baffled.....
Lolol. Okay. Understand this. When the male adult's gamete meets the female gamete but gamete cells form what we call a zygote.

This zygote having forty three chromosomes is known as a diploid. A diploid is a cell and has life. At that point is when an organism or a the human life begins. Still don't get it?

This is science as we know it.
Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 12:45pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:

I'd love to read the biology textbook you got that from. If you could kindly give me the name I'll appreciate it.
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2015
PastorAIO:

I'd love to read the biology textbook you got that from. If you could kindly give me the name I'll appreciate it.
Rebut my last response to Wiegraf then I may recommended a textbook for you.
Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
Lolol. Okay. Understand this. When the male adult's gamete meets the female gamete but gamete cells form what we call a zygote.

This zygote having forty three chromosomes is known as a diploid. A diploid is a cell and has life. At that point is when an organism or a the human life begins. Still don't get it?

So when I sneeze I murder a lot of epithelial cells.

Would you say that Dolly was a lamb? If the same procedure was done to a human would it be human? At what point would it become human.

If you can't remember Dolly please refresh your memory here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 16, 2015
PastorAIO:

So when I sneeze I murder a lot of epithelial cells.

Would you say that Dolly was a lamb? If the same procedure was done to a human would it be human? At what point would it become human.

If you can't remember Dolly please refresh your memory here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)
Your dolly doesn't say anything here. Use another example.
Re: The Religious Mind? by wiegraf: 1:25pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
Lolol. What a pity! Okay. Understand this. When the male adult's gamete meets the female gamete but gamete cells form what we call a zygote.

All living cell in your body other than the sex cells are diploids, and 'alive' by your rather loose definition. Maybe you should give rights to all your red blood cells as well. Or when you want to remove an appendix, I should come hound about how you're killing millions of humans.

A zygote is simply a lump of cells. One with the potential to grow into something else, for sure, but a lump of cells nevertheless. Look, if that zygote doesn't make it the uterus and ends up becoming ectopic, it becomes a cancer. I'm confused as to how a human can turn into a cancer (maybe said cancer has a soul as well!)

So, the zygote is indeed a sort of cancer in a sense, feeding off the mothers resources until it turns into something else. And the boundary that defines personhood is blurry too, but I can tell you a zygote is really far off from that point due to one very basic fact: zygotes lack a brain. this is crucial as I would imagine attaining personhood would be critical to becoming a human, so I'm not sure how you classify zygotes as some sort of human beings. they are human, they are alive, but so were the sex cells that gave rise to them.

Essentially: I want to build a house. I have a plan. that means I have fully built house already.

Can you see what I did there? Does it make sense? that's what you just did.

Anyways, here is what science has to say on the matter: it doesn't say anything on the matter. It doesn't even really try to approach the subject because of its nature. I mean, the parameters used to determine what a human life are completely arbitrary and border on being philosophical. Heck, technically speaking, life began 3.5 billion years ago.

What you've told me is simply your opinion on a subject that is littered with blurry lines. Nothing more. stop trying to pass it off as some scientific consensus or fact. It clearly isn't....

ps. You're displaying other traits typical of a religious mind . (In fact, I believe I now see one the traits the pastor alluded to earllier).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 16, 2015
wiegraf:

All living cell in your body other than the sex cells are diploids, and 'alive' by your rather loose definition. Maybe you should give rights to all your red blood cells as well. Or when you want to remove an appendix, I should come hound about how you're killing millions of humans.

A zygote is simply a lump of cells. One with the potential to grow into something else, for sure, but a lump of cells nevertheless. Look, if that zygote doesn't make it the uterus and ends up becoming ectopic, it becomes a cancer. I'm confused as to how a human can turn into a cancer (maybe said cancer has a soul as well!)

So, the zygote is indeed a sort of cancer in a sense, feeding off the mothers resources until it turns into something else. And the boundary that defines personhood is blurry too, but I can tell you a zygote is really far off from that point due to one very basic fact: zygotes lack a brain. this is crucial as I would imagine attaining personhood would be critical to becoming a human, so I'm not sure how you classify zygotes as some sort of human beings. they are human, they are alive, but so were the sex cells that gave rise to them.

Essentially: I want to build a house. I have a plan. that means I have fully built house already.

Can you see what I did there? Does it make sense? that's what you just did.

Anyways, here is what science has to say on the matter: it doesn't say anything on the matter. It doesn't even really try to approach the subject because of its nature. I mean, the parameters used to determine what a human life are completely arbitrary and border on being philosophical. Heck, technically speaking, life began 3.5 billion years ago.

What you've told me is simply your opinion on a subject that is littered with blurry lines. Nothing more. stop trying to pass it off as some scientific consensus. or fact. It clearly isn't....

ps. You're displaying other traits typical of a religious mind . (In fact, I believe I now see one the traits the pastor alluded to earllier).
Lol. You are simply giving a lecture you were not asked to give. Simply show that what I wrote are wrong not a lecture. Show me that life of a human doesn't begin at this stage. Possibly tell me when it begins.
Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 2:32pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
Your dolly doesn't say anything here. Use another example.

How pathetic. Okay.

Let me put it in simpler terms for simple minds.

Reyginus:

Epithelial cells too have 43 chromosomes so according to you they have life. I agree.

The sperm cell too has life with it's 23 chromosomes.

If a human can be cloned from the cells of the Mammary gland then is each cell of the mammary gland also a human life. That means that if you should cut yourself and lose cells you are killing so many human beings.

By the way, I'm not defending abortion. But I'm just showing that your reasoning behind your anti abortion stance is very shaky.

Having the potential to become a human is not the same as being a human. Your zygote has the potential and so did the mammary cell that went into making Dolly, and so does every single cell in the human body.
Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 2:47pm On Dec 16, 2015
But I have to concede to Reyginus. he said terminating life is okay if it is for the glory of God. So I guess that If I sneeze and kill a whole lot of cells and say 'Praise God' that's okay, but if I don't say 'praise god' I've committed a sin.

I erroneously thought he was referring only to human beings, but actually he was referring to life of all types.

1 Like

Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 16, 2015
PastorAIO:

How pathetic. Okay.

Let me put it in simpler terms for simple minds.

Epithelial cells too have 43 chromosomes so according to you they have life. I agree.

The sperm cell too has life with it's 23 chromosomes.

If a human can be cloned from the cells of the Mammary gland then is each cell of the mammary gland also a human life. That means that if you should cut yourself and lose cells you are killing so many human beings.

By the way, I'm not defending abortion. But I'm just showing that your reasoning behind your anti abortion stance is very shaky.

Having the potential to become a human is not the same as being a human. Your zygote has the potential and so did the mammary cell that went into making Dolly, and so does every single cell in the human body.

Lol. You fall into the same mistake wiegr.af is making. Yes, they all have this stage in their development but then what is this stage? Your comparisons cannot show that life doesn't start from this stage but that it could be experienced in other life. So tell me when does life start in a human?
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2015
PastorAIO:
But I have to concede to Reyginus. he said terminating life is okay if it is for the glory of God. So I guess that If I sneeze and kill a whole lot of cells and say 'Praise God' that's okay, but if I don't say 'praise god' I've committed a sin.

I erroneously thought he was referring only to human beings, but actually he was referring to life of all types.
Again you pretend to be ignorant. How many times do I have to say that that's from the Christian perspective from where wiegraf is trying to justify the man? Are you dumb here or what?
Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 3:43pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
Lol. You fall into the same mistake wiegr.af is making. Yes, they all have this stage in their development but then what is this stage? Your comparisons cannot show that life doesn't start from this stage but that it could be experienced in other life. So tell me when does life start in a human?

My honest answer to the question 'what is that stage'? It is I DON'T KNOW.

And I also believe that you don't know either but you are just being arrogant and pretending to know what you don't know. This, I believe, is one of the traits of the Religious mind that Wiegraf is talking about.

Reyginus:
Again you pretend to be ignorant. How many times do I have to say that that's from the Christian perspective from where wiegraf is trying to justify the man? Are you dumb here or what?

I'm agreeing with you and you're calling me dumb. No probs.

1 Like

Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2015
PastorAIO:

My honest answer to the question 'what is that stage'? It is I DON'T KNOW.

And I also believe that you don't know either but you are just being arrogant and pretending to know what you don't know. This, I believe, is one of the traits of the Religious mind that Wiegraf is talking about.

I'm agreeing with you and you're calling me dumb. No probs.
You can speak for yourself not me. I don't pretend when I know not but I detest deliberate ignorance to appear meek or super intelligent. If you keep looking at consciousness you will not get it. Even newborns are after about six months. There's nothing deep or esoteric about this.

I will recommend Human Anatomy and Physiology by Elaine N and Katja to you. Chapter Twenty Seven Page 1025 precisely. The intro would be enough for you but you can read further.

I didn't call you dumb though but only asked if your decision not to see where I and wiegraf is arguing from, even after my corrections, is dumb. Any sane mind will ask a similar question or pretend you are doing the right thing. Pretence is not my thing.
Re: The Religious Mind? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:11pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus - how is terminating life to God's glory . Care to explain
Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 4:37pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
You can speak for yourself not me. I don't pretend when I know not but I detest deliberate ignorance to appear meek or super intelligent. If you keep looking at consciousness you will not get it. Even newborns are after about six months. There's nothing deep or esoteric about this.

I will recommend Human Anatomy and Physiology by Elaine N and Katja to you. Chapter Twenty Seven Page 1025 precisely. The intro would be enough for you but you can read further.

I didn't call you dumb though but only asked if your decision not to see where I and wiegraf is arguing from, even after my corrections, is dumb. Any sane mind will ask a similar question or pretend you are doing the right thing. Pretence is not my thing.

Your inability to even string thoughts together cogently is quite remarkable.

2 Likes

Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 16, 2015
PastorAIO:

Your inability to even string thoughts together cogently is quite remarkable.
I appreciate your level of understanding. Approaching Knowledge with feigned meekness is not intelligence.
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 16, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:
Reyginus - how is terminating life to God's glory . Care to explain
Exactly what I'm talking about. The Pastor dude misunderstands you but then goes ahead to make a claim and tags your name with it.

First of all, I'd like to know why you ask this question. Tell me then I answer you.
Re: The Religious Mind? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:27pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
Exactly what I'm talking about. The Pastor dude misunderstands you but then goes ahead to make a claim and tags your name with it.

First of all, I'd like to know why you ask this question. Tell me then I answer you.

I guess you answered it . I saw it on PastorFAS'(Fake As Shiit) post and wondered why you would make such egregious claim
Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 5:36pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
Yeah. Terminating the creation of God for the glorification of self and not Gos is evil. That's according to the Christian bible. Try Lev 24:17

1 Like

Re: The Religious Mind? by PastorAIO: 5:42pm On Dec 16, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I guess you answered it . I saw it on PastorFAS'(Fake As Shiit) post and wondered why you would make such egregious claim

Well Reyginus, you needed to know the meaning of an Ad Hominem. Here is a wonderful example.
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 16, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Not really that I answered anything. I was simply trying to tell him that Abortion where the life of the child is not taken for any good reason like in the Ectopic case is evil. Mind you, I was arguing from the angle wieg is coming from. That is, he proposed that in Christian context the man is right and I also, operating within the context, opposed him.

To explain further I told him that ectopic pregnancy where the woman is dying and the child often dies, terminating the life of the half dead child to save the mother is a good thing. And God is glorified when good overcomes evil. But then I don't think he understands what I'm saying.
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 16, 2015
PastorAIO:

Well Reyginus, you needed to know the meaning of an Ad Hominem. Here is a wonderful example.
Lol. And when you tell someone to get out with his poor argument without attacking the said poor argument you have just attacked the poor argument.
Re: The Religious Mind? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:46pm On Dec 16, 2015
PastorAIO:

I dont get Are you the fake pastor I was referring to ? Its like when you see a online scammer and you call him an online scammer - that's not an ad hominem ( we were not arguing in the first place )
Re: The Religious Mind? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
Reyginus:
Not really that I answered anything. I was simply trying to tell him that Abortion where the life of the child is not taken for any good reason like in the Ectopic case is evil. Mind you, I was arguing from the angle wieg is coming from. That is, he proposed that in Christian context the man is right and I also, operating within the context, opposed him.

To explain further I told him that ectopic pregnancy where the woman is dying and the child often dies, terminating the life of the half dead child to save the mother is a good thing. And God is glorified when good overcomes evil. But then I don't think he understands what I'm saying.

I think he is being disingenuous - all of them are !

Are there other cases apart from ectopic pregnancy where abortion is justified ?
Re: The Religious Mind? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 16, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I think he is being disingenuous - all of them are !

Are there other cases about from ectopic pregnancy where abortion is justified ?
I don't really think there's any.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Many Of Billions Of Christians On Earth Do You Think Would Make Heaven? / Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! / Largest Bed In World History- King Og Of Bashan Bed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.