Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,641 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Consciousness And Sense Of Self - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Consciousness And Sense Of Self (2646 Views)

Cancer Cure That Worked. An Example Of Self Destruction In Humans / Nike Has Unveiled Its Much-anticipated Range Of Self-lacing Shoes. / Staring Into Someone's Eyes For 10 Minutes Can Alter Your Consciousness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by lawani: 9:42pm On Dec 14, 2015
There is nothing a human can do that AI can not do if well programmed, even humans are programmed, we are born into a culture, learn language, learn from others then form a character, the basis of our dealings with others. People form a variety of characters. Many are foolish, treating others like tools, others are wise, treating others like equals, many are inbetween. If there are no secrets at all, character of people will tend towards the character of a wise man, if it is easy to be shady, some people will choose the ignoble path of foolishness. Computers can be programmed in thesame mann
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by lawani: 9:45pm On Dec 14, 2015
There is nothing a human can do that AI can not do if well programmed, even humans are programmed, we are born into a culture, learn language, learn from others then form a character, the basis of our dealings with others. People form a variety of characters. Many are foolish, treating others like tools, others are wise, treating others like equals, many are inbetween. If there are no secrets at all, character of people will tend towards the character of a wise man, if it is easy to be shady, some people will choose the ignoble path of foolishness. Computers can be programmed in thesame manner. I meet a humanoid computer connected to the internet, it takes my picture and scans its memory for a replica, finds one, checks the name it is stored under, then reads it out Hello Mr Akin, you are from Ilesha, we have met two times. I said yes. It then asks, what can I do for you?. I then say pls I need information about so and so, it scans its memory and comes up with answers and explanations. You can program self preservation into it as even humans are not born with self preservation, babies play rough with knives and guns and do injure themselves. You can program basically anything. Love, hate jealousy, pride and etc. With elaborate programming, it can be human. Definitely so. Learn like human and be able to divert resources to preserve itself. It wouldn't need telepathy as it an connect with its kind via the internet but I do not know if it will be able to do other things humans do like magic, levitation and many other claims that have been demonstrated and those are just like a tip of the iceberg!

Then we are here to play God. What is wrong with playing God?
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 16, 2015
Heyyyy..... So I've been a little bit busy. :p:p I've finally decided that AI is just not worth talking about anymore and so I'm reverting back to "Sense of self"

THE UNCONSCIOUS MIND

For John Locke, Descartes and many other great philosophers, nothing was mor essential to the mind than consciousness. The mind and all its activities was viewed as transparent to itself; nothing was hidden from its inner view. Indeed, to discern what goes on in one's mind, one just need to "look" and the limits of what one found was the very limits of the mind. The idea of Unconscious thinking was not entertained, and if brought up, was dismissed as incoherent nonsense. How can someone not know what he or she was thinking??

And so, when Sigmund Freud intially hyposthesize the existence of unconscious mental processes, his proposal was met with stark denial and even outrage- how can one so learned think such? It was not just an insult to common sense, it even contradicts itself to say that there could be unconscious beliefs and desires, feelings, emotions and the like. But Freud prevailed. The "self contradiction" became respected by theorists once they saw it could help explain puzzling pieces of psychology- pyscopathology to be precise.
The new way of thinking had a crutch- one that could at least accept the Lockean creed by imagining that these "unconscious" thoughts, desires, and schemes belonged to other selves within one's pysche. Just as I can keep a secret from someone, my identity can keep secret from my ego. By splitting one's mind into many subjects, one can still state that every mental state must be someone's conscious mental state and can even explain the inaccessibility of some of these states to the "owner" by postulating "interior owners" for them. (I know, pyschology is a b*tchangry)

Freud's proposal revolutionized clinical psycholgy. It actually created the mordern cognitive expermimental pyscholgy. We have come to accept without the slightest twinge of incomprehension that one can love someone without one knowing it. It is not repressed unconscious activity that Freud uncovered but mental activity that is some how beneath or above consciousness altogether. Freud experiments(Wikipedia is your best friend) proved that not only can we not access our minds, our mind are more accessible by outsiders than we, the very "owners" of our minds!
But now, Locke's theory has turned on its head; if unconscious mentality was incomprehensible, we're now losing our grip on conscious mentality. A very crude but similar illustration is this : "How do you know you're not dreaming" If we progress on this topic, you might close this page out of frustation or just quit Nairaland altogethergringringrin

Now one might ask, quite intresting but how is it tied to consciousness Well, I say everything. We are the most conscious animal on earth, yet what if we truly arent? We can say "oh no, that's a lie. I can use a phone, I can eat indomie, I know good and evil" blah, blah, blah but what if we're wrong? Animals can be trained to use phones, sleep on the bed and even speak!shocked. What if we're just stuck in a part of our minds where we think we're the kings on earth. Even scarier, what if we're all just part of someone elses mind The many Worlds theory state that there are different "branches" so to speak. Each one is an approximation of what you do, or DIDN'T DO. It's somehow complicated and stupid. But really all I'm saying is: How does one know one's self if one cannot determine one's conscious state!

Cc Teempakguy (can you handle pyschology),Freemanan,Candybob, and any one really!grin
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 16, 2015
This is beyond me. sad
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
This is beyond me. sad
Hahahahahaha,

and with that, I end this thread.
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by Nobody: 11:43pm On Dec 17, 2015
SirWere:
Hahahahahaha,

and with that, I end this thread.
It was fun talking though. grin

I absolutely loved the mental stimulation. smiley
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by vizier007(m): 8:50am On Dec 19, 2015
prof2015:
I would say intelligence will be directly proportional to self consciousness. Animal for example though not as intelligent as humans are self aware. A worker and knows it's place in the colony it's duties and obligations. Dogs feel joy, sadness, jealousy, pain etc but a unicellular organism doesn't have any intelligence of any sort so no self consciousness

I wouldn't agree with you on this, read about quorum sensing..
there are microorganisms that are able to sense whether their population is enough to effectively cause disease or not..
what would you say about microbes that antagonize each other? these organisms produces substance that are harmful to other microbes in their environment, if they can't sense the presence of others, will the organisms do that?
what about antibiotics resistance?
what about microbes that simple move away from hot environment once they sense heat?.

I think consciousness is more than being intelligent. .
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by purpinkx(m): 12:35pm On Dec 20, 2015
Clev: That answer does not satisfy .
me. | That's funny.
Clev:| what's so funny about it?
Me.| Because you feel my answer has to satisfy you.
Clev: Yes I have it's Dan.
Me | You are dumb.
Clev:| No I'm not you are!
Me.| Admit it , you are dumb now or I'll kill you.
Clev: No, I am still alive. #cleverbot

.This shit is dumb
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by tartar9(m): 6:23pm On Dec 24, 2015
SirWere:
Err, I dunno, something that states that there are a number of results of mathematical logic which can be used to show there are limitations to power of discrete computer. In a nutshell, what I THINK it's saying is, if the computer is rigged to play the game proposed by Turing, it ain't conscious. Whew!

One can even say we're playing God by saying god does not like it. Who are we to knowgringrin

Hahaha, biologists trumping physicists when they clash ALL the time cool

Errr, it's still not established that a dog is conscious. Besides, a dog feels basic emotions like love, joy, anger......... Lust! Who cares about the "beauty of the sunset"wink

True! Take a test and ask friends who are not scientifically inclined about this..... Now hear their responses
I beg to differ. Come on, even you treat robots like children, or maybe imbeciles. Really think they can measure up. Besides, what about the unconscious
gringringrin. Really love chicken huh Mine will be, can you dance
Gödel's theorem has nothing to do with consciousness.
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 25, 2015
Godel's theorem relates to Compute Intelligence; a subset of Artifical Consciousness.
tartar9:
Gödel's theorem has nothing to do with consciousness.
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by AloloMC: 6:27pm On Jan 11, 2016
I think this forum is about science and technology and not about too much philosopy. We should deal with matters of consciousness based on the substance of our being, i.e it relation to the workings of our brains in association with the senses. We dont seems to have an answer to how conciousness came to be the telling center of our existence for now, but we surely will.
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by Nobody: 11:50pm On Feb 28, 2016
Reminisicing......... sadsadsad
Re: Consciousness And Sense Of Self by Nobody: 11:08pm On Nov 17, 2016
....... Sighs......
Those days are gone.....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pilots Who Disappeared In 1945 During WW2 Suddenly Reappears With Aircraft / Science Of Badassery : 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy / How To View MSG Files For Free?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.