Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,404 members, 7,861,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:55 AM

The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" (7859 Views)

Snapdragon vs Mediatek vs Intel -Processor Importance When Buying a Smartphone / How To Mannually Install Mediatek VCOM Drivers On Your Windows PC / The Major Secret Behind The Cheap Smartphones We Have Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 06, 2015
kolabad:
true buh u have 2 admit having more processors is d way forward nd phone producers have seen it dass why htc one m9, samsung j7, samsung s6 edge nd so on are octacore nd dey both snapdragon or exynos... Plus d helio x10 deserves more credit dan u giving it cause if dey are nuh as good as u tink dey are phone producers like htc nd sony won't be making use of dem

Agreed. And I really respect mediatek, especially the helio x10. They are really pushing snapdragon hard right now which is a good thing for us consumers. Snapdragon is still more powerful and efficient on paper, but not by many miles like 1 or 2 yrs ago. This can only lead to one thing in the future..... Price of smartphones will reduce and good for us consumers.

Remember when apple use to sell their iPhone for $1,000 plus for an 8gb model and 3.5 inch screen? Android made the competition fairer and I can also see same thing happening with snapdragon the way mediatek are going.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by kolabad: 6:41pm On Dec 06, 2015
greenhulk:

Agreed. And I really respect mediatek, especially the helio x10. They are really pushing snapdragon hard right now which is a good thing for us consumers. Snapdragon is still more powerful and efficient on paper, but not by many miles like 1 or 2 yrs ago. This can only lead to one thing in the future..... Price of smartphones will reduce and good for us consumers.

Remember when apple use to sell their iPhone for $1,000 plus for an 8gb model and 3.5 inch screen? Android made the competition fairer and I can also see same thing happening with snapdragon the way mediatek are going.
yea true.. Am still expecting htc to produce their own chipset
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 10:43pm On Dec 06, 2015
NCP:

Imageā€¦ Antutu 3rd Quarter ranking of smartdevices.
Point out the SD powered devices among them
I don't get....what's your point?
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 10:46pm On Dec 06, 2015
Marvell23:
Having you heard about quick charge technology in infinix hot note. Tell me the Snapdragon chipset that does more than this. I charge my infinix from 0-70% in just 30mins. Remember it has 4000mAh battery
NO it comes with power pump rather and its not real benchmark its your unrealistic observations cos quick charge is still the fastest...
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 10:55pm On Dec 06, 2015
greenhulk:

But this would only affect android phones and android companies that makes premium phones.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 11:00pm On Dec 06, 2015
greenhulk:

One question... Have u used a mediatek device with Qhd display? Snapdragon 810 might overheat, but snapdragon 808 and 805 do not overheat. Try compare a mediatek device with Qhd screen and a snapdragon device with a Qhd screen, both with same screen size and same battery size and tell me if mediatek won't falter .
Thank you bro...please tell them.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:

But this would only affect android phones and android companies that makes premium phones.

It will also affect apple, but not by much.

Look at it this way, when mediatek gets to its peak, and xiaomi, meizu and co start making premium phones that can match the samsung, HTC and LG at 40% reduction in price, breaking into the US and European market, it will force the big guns to reduce their price. Now when Samsung start reducing the price of the galaxy s and galaxy note series, it will affect apple somehow and they will also reduce the price of the iphonee even if its by just 20%. Remember iPhone 3g was sold for $1,000 for 8gb model, now iPhone 6s with 16gb sells for like $700.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 11:29pm On Dec 06, 2015
greenhulk:

It will also affect apple, but not by much.

Look at it this way, when mediatek gets to its peak, and xiaomi, meizu and co start making premium phones that can match the samsung, HTC and LG at 40% reduction in price, breaking into the US and European market, it will force the big guns to reduce their price. Now when Samsung start reducing the price of the galaxy s and galaxy note series, it will affect apple somehow and they will also reduce the price of the iphonee even if its by just 20%. Remember iPhone 3g was sold for $1,000 for 8gb model, now iPhone 6s with 16gb sells for like $700.
Trust me, I won't affect apple...... One reason....cos iphone uses ios

No chill $1000 was ridiculous, and not reasonable at all. But as far as people see iphone price as reasonable, if android phones like, let it be free. Iphone would never come down and would still sell
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:

Trust me, I won't affect apple...... One reason....cos iphone uses ios

No chill $1000 was ridiculous, and not reasonable at all. But as far as people see iphone price as reasonable, if android phones like, let it be free. Iphone would never come down and would still sell

Do u know iPhone cameras never had flash until iPhone 4? And even iPhone 3g doesn't shoot videos? And I'm sure iphones screen wouldn't have been bigger if not for android pushing out bigger screen phones and iPhone users started getting jealous. I remembered Steve Jobs saying 3.5 inch is the perfect screen. But look at them today making 5.5 inch screen phones... Thanks to android. So bro android will affect ios somehow. If Samsung starts selling their galaxy s phones for $300 off contract, then apple would probably reduce their price to like $450.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 4:12am On Dec 07, 2015
greenhulk:

Do u know iPhone cameras never had flash until iPhone 4? And even iPhone 3g doesn't shoot videos? And I'm sure iphones screen wouldn't have been bigger if not for android pushing out bigger screen phones and iPhone users started getting jealous. I remembered Steve Jobs saying 3.5 inch is the perfect screen. But look at them today making 5.5 inch screen phones... Thanks to android. So bro android will affect ios somehow. If Samsung starts selling their galaxy s phones for $300 off contract, then apple would probably reduce their price to like $450.

Ok then. We shall see when thatday comes
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by kolabad: 7:16am On Dec 07, 2015
greenhulk:

One question... Have u used a mediatek device with Qhd display? Snapdragon 810 might overheat, but snapdragon 808 and 805 do not overheat. Try compare a mediatek device with Qhd screen and a snapdragon device with a Qhd screen, both with same screen size and same battery size and tell me if mediatek won't falter .
well I bliv d htc one m9+ which is Qhd nd mediatek can compete
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 07, 2015
kolabad:
well I bliv d htc one m9+ which is Qhd nd mediatek can compete

What happens when u take a flagship phone with qhd display and then add a mediatek processor? The picture below says it all. HTC one m9 is a great fast and smooth phone, but the m9+ with mediatek struggles during multitasking and gaming.

Also like I said earlier, its not all about putting bigger batteries on phones, its about the software. HTC one m9 has a BIGGER battery than Samsung Galaxy s6 and s6 edge, but this Samsung has a better battery life. It is not also about megapixels. Htc one m9 has a BIGGER camera megapixel (20 vs 16 for Samsung) but Samsung takes much much better pictures.

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Spiff20(m): 8:16am On Dec 07, 2015
Secret behind the secret. So what's the fate of us who ain't using mediatek chip cry i use spreadtrum
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by kolabad: 9:02am On Dec 07, 2015
greenhulk:

What happens when u take a flagship phone with qhd display and then add a mediatek processor? The picture below says it all. HTC one m9 is a great fast and smooth phone, but the m9+ with mediatek struggles during multitasking and gaming.

Also like I said earlier, its not all about putting bigger batteries on phones, its about the software. HTC one m9 has a BIGGER battery than Samsung Galaxy s6 and s6 edge, but this Samsung has a better battery life. It is not also about megapixels. Htc one m9 has a BIGGER camera megapixel (20 vs 16 for Samsung) but Samsung takes much much better pictures.
agreed d m9+ doesn't do well against against d s6 and d g4 but according 2 ur previous post u sed if we are 2 compare any qhd mediatek device wif anoda dah is using snapdragon d mediatek device wud flop.. Even though d s6 nd g4 outperformed d m9+ I feel dere re still oder qhd snapdragon devices d m9+ outperforms...
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by dabigjoe6(m): 10:10am On Dec 07, 2015
PhonePlanet:

Other chips can be rooted too, they are just harder.
other chips are not as flexible as medaitek
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 4:16pm On Dec 07, 2015
kolabad:
agreed d m9+ doesn't do well against against d s6 and d g4 but according 2 ur previous post u sed if we are 2 compare any qhd mediatek device wif anoda dah is using snapdragon d mediatek device wud flop.. Even though d s6 nd g4 outperformed d m9+ I feel dere re still oder qhd snapdragon devices d m9+ outperforms...
And I am telling you there is non!

ANTUTU (higher is better)

In descending order
Galaxy S6 active = 71865 (Exynos)
Galaxy S6 Edge+ = 69306 (Exynos)
Galaxy S6 Edge = 69042 (Exynos)
Galaxy Note 5 = 67207 (Exynos)
Nexus 6P = 60007 (Snapdragon 810)
Galaxy S6 = 58382 (Exynos)
Mi Note Pro = 53798 (Snapdragon 810)
ZTE Axon Pro = 53535 (Snapdragon 810)
Droid Turbo 2 = 52201 (Snapdragon 810)
Xperia Z5 Premium = 52189 (Snapdragon 810)
Moto X Pure = 51822 (Snapdragon 808)
LG G4 = 50330 (Snapdragon 808)
Blackberry Priv = 48212 (Snapdragon 808)
HTC M9+ = 47862 (Mediatek)
LG V10 = 46905 (Snapdragon 808)

Note: that these are only QHD phones are many other phones (even more than this list) falls in before the HTC m9+
Also Note: Snapdragon 808 was Qualcomm previous flagship before Snapdragon 810.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarks
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by kolabad: 6:37pm On Dec 07, 2015
PhonePlanet:

And I am telling you there is non!

ANTUTU (higher is better)

In descending order
Galaxy S6 active = 71865 (Exynos)
Galaxy S6 Edge+ = 69306 (Exynos)
Galaxy S6 Edge = 69042 (Exynos)
Galaxy Note 5 = 67207 (Exynos)
Nexus 6P = 60007 (Snapdragon 810)
Galaxy S6 = 58382 (Exynos)
Mi Note Pro = 53798 (Snapdragon 810)
ZTE Axon Pro = 53535 (Snapdragon 810)
Droid Turbo 2 = 52201 (Snapdragon 810)
Xperia Z5 Premium = 52189 (Snapdragon 810)
Moto X Pure = 51822 (Snapdragon 808)
LG G4 = 50330 (Snapdragon 808)
Blackberry Priv = 48212 (Snapdragon 808)
HTC M9+ = 47862 (Mediatek)
LG V10 = 46905 (Snapdragon 808)

Note: that these are only QHD phones are many other phones (even more than this list) falls in before the HTC m9+
Also Note: Snapdragon 808 was Qualcomm previous flagship before Snapdragon 810.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarks
now dah iz a long list. Wondering why dey used it in deir flagship device wen dey knew it wud put dem out of d race
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 07, 2015
kolabad:
now dah iz a long list. Wondering why dey used it in deir flagship device wen dey knew it wud put dem out of d race

I guess they just decided to try it out. The phone runs smoothly but just the stuttering while multitasking and it practically struggles playing heavy games.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by kolabad: 7:51pm On Dec 07, 2015
greenhulk:

I guess they just decided to try it out. The phone runs smoothly but just the stuttering while multitasking and it practically struggles playing heavy games.
so am hearing nd dey keep using it.. Me now I use htc desire 816 wanted 2 port to desire 828 den I c dah dey released dah 1 wif mediatek too.. Wud prolly settle for desire 826
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 9:23pm On Dec 07, 2015
kolabad:
Original M9 uses Snapdragon 810 is is somewhere btw those Snapdragon 810 phones. But it does not come with QHD.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by kolabad: 10:10pm On Dec 07, 2015
PhonePlanet:

Original M9 uses Snapdragon 810 is is somewhere btw those Snapdragon 810 phones. But it does not come with QHD.
yea it performs beta dan d m9+ I guess buh I heard dah snapdragon 810 has some flaws
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 2:15am On Dec 08, 2015
kolabad:
yea it performs beta dan d m9+ I guess buh I heard dah snapdragon 810 has some flaws
Only Over heating...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Airtel Welcome Back Data Plan Activation / Three Tips To Make You Iphone Charge Faster / The Top 151 Fastest Phones In The World!! See Where Yours Stand. (Android/iOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.