Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" (7815 Views)

Snapdragon vs Mediatek vs Intel -Processor Importance When Buying a Smartphone / How To Mannually Install Mediatek VCOM Drivers On Your Windows PC / The Major Secret Behind The Cheap Smartphones We Have Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 1:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
From this tread https://www.nairaland.com/2783566/major-secret-behind-cheap-smartphones

Before we thank mediatek for providing cheap affordable SOC, I thought its important to know what mediatek offers. And that is 'low performance' as mediatek comes out 'mostimes' last among all chips in performance and benchmark scores. This means
Mediatek phone are quick to slow down or lag, screen flicks during games and some games are not even avaliable for mediatek chips cos its too low to power these games. Some other companies make less graphic version of games for mediatek.
Also mediatek chips are not as power efficient as chips like exynos, meaning a samsung phone can come with less battery size and still last on power per charge than a mediatek phone with much more bigger battrey.
Plus mediatek does not come with what you find on snapdragon and exynos called 'quick charge' which allows a phone to charge up to 3 times faster, rather it comes with a feature called "pump-express" which is still faster than normal charging but much slower than qualcomm fast charge. Plus you would require a special charger.

But if you are less bothered about it, then you have no problem buying a mediatek phone.

Snapdragon is by qualcomm
Exynos is by samsung
Mediatek is by mediatek
Kirin is by huawei
Snapdragon 801 is qualcomm 2 step backward flagship (after 801 was 808 then 810)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 06, 2015
We know that. U can't expect a 140,000 naira android phone to have the same processor as a 20,000 naira phone. But its good o have those mediatek phones so everyone can afford android.

7 Likes

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by xreal: 1:26pm On Dec 06, 2015
Though chep, I love MediaTeK phones.

..... good and easy for Glo BIS.

5 Likes

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by badonkadonk: 2:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
Still prefer mediatek chipset cos of their rooting potential..

2 Likes

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 2:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
badonkadonk:
Still prefer mediatek chipset cos of their rooting potential..
Other chips can be rooted too, they are just harder.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by badonkadonk: 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:
Other chips can be rooted too, they are just harder.
True.. Buh not all can be extended to accommodate glo bis
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 2:32pm On Dec 06, 2015
badonkadonk:

True.. Buh not all can be extended to accommodate glo bis
All! As long as you can change the Imei, and that's all...
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by NCP: 2:35pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:
Plus mediatek comes with no special features. Example is snapdragon and exynos 'quick charge" which allows a phone to charge up to 3 times faster.

Ever heard of PumpExpress Plus? .

The MediaTek's charging tech that enables your Android SmartDevice Charge from 0% to 75% in 30mins.

Pump Express was first used on
MTK’s own MT6640 platform, the upgraded Pump Express Plus is now used on the newest
MT6575, MT6795 and so on.

The Meizu MX5 and Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 that we are familiar with are both powered by Pump Express Plus technology.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by rottennaija(m): 2:36pm On Dec 06, 2015
I'll be back to comment
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by badonkadonk: 2:37pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:
All! As long as you can change the Imei, and that's all...
Well.. I stand to be corrected
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Maximum83: 2:39pm On Dec 06, 2015
@op, Snapdragon is more powerful but you are wrong to say MediaTek consumes more power and has no special features like fast charge technology. Are you Still living in the dark age?
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Youngpo413: 2:42pm On Dec 06, 2015
greenhulk:
We know that. U can't expect a 140,000 naira android phone to have the same processor as a 20,000 naira phone. But its good o have those mediatek phones so everyone can afford android.
Touche'
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 3:05pm On Dec 06, 2015
NCP:

The MediaTek's charging tech that enables your Android SmartDevice Charge from 0% to 75% in 30mins.

MTK’s own MT6640 platform, the upgraded Pump Express Plus is now used on the newest

The Meizu MX5 and Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 that we are familiar with are both powered by Pump Express Plus technology.

Not heard of it, but that's because it makes no diff, and cannot be compared to snapdragon quick charge in anyway at all!
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 3:13pm On Dec 06, 2015
Maximum83:
@op, Snapdragon is more powerful but you are wrong to say MediaTek consumes more power and has no special features like fast charge technology. Are you Still living in the dark age?
Hello! Yes mediatek consumes more power and does not support quick charge!!!
NCP:

Oya show me quick charge or power pump express on its site specifications

www.mediatek.com/en/products/hero-products/helio-X10/
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by NCP: 4:08pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:
Hello! Yes mediatek consumes more power and does not support quick charge!!!

Oya show me quick charge or power pump express on its site specifications
www.mediatek.com/en/products/hero-products/helio-X10/

Am not your search engine. Use Google, Bro.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 4:40pm On Dec 06, 2015
NCP:

Am not your search engine. Use Google, Bro.
Google ko google ni, you go tell me whether na google make the chip...

I gave you a direct link to the "product specification page on the manufacturer's website" and you're telling google....mtseeeew.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by NCP: 4:47pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:

Google ko google ni, you go tell me whether na google make the chip...

I gave you a direct link to the "product specification page on the manufacturer's website" and you're telling google....mtseeeew.

www.mediatek.com/en/features/power-management/pump-express/

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 5:00pm On Dec 06, 2015
NCP:

Ok fine...it exist....would edit my post..

But its not half as fast as quick charge plus its on limited devices and it needs a special charger
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by NCP: 5:03pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:

Ok fine...it exist....would edit my post..

But its not half as fast as quick charge plus its on limited devices and it needs a special charger

Same Principle with Qualcomm SnapDragon chipsets .

And they are more power efficient than SD without over heating
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by PhonePlanet(m): 5:07pm On Dec 06, 2015
NCP:

Same Principle with Qualcomm SnapDragon chipsets .
And they are more power efficient than SD without over heating
No they are not! Read about it...
And its not more power efficient! And does not over heat cos it does less work.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Marvell23(m): 5:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
NCP:

I think the Op didn't even know that this exists already. Brand like infinix and Tecno are already using fast charge technology . Lemme also say this that Snapdragon consumes more power than MediaTek especially during the overheating issues
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by NCP: 5:15pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:

No they are not! Read about it...

And its not more power efficient! And does not over heat cos it does less work.

Image…
Antutu 3rd Quarter ranking of smartdevices.

Point out the SD powered devices among them

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 06, 2015
I really dnt what know OP is saying but in real life usage, i can emphatically tell you that snapdragon devices consumes more power than Mediatek cos iv handle both, lots and lots of them.
Snapdragon is known for its over heating issues.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
Maximum83:

Yes mediatek consumes more power than snapdragon and exynos processors. Because mediatek are less powerful, they rely on more cores to perform tax. This is why most phones that run mediatek always run on octa cores. Believe it or not more cores mean more power hungry even though they claim to optimize their software. Also lots of quad core snapdragon devices still run faster than lots of octacore mediatek devices .

To supplement this, mediatek phone nanufacturers are now addding bigger batteries to their devices. It's not a. Surprise that a mediatek phone with 4,000mah battery might not have a better battery life than a snapdragon device with just 3,000mah. This is why I keep saying all these Chinese phones are using bigger batteries to deceive us. A mediatek device with 5,000mah battery and a Qhd 5 inch display will not outpower a snapdragon device with 3,500mah battery and a Qhd 5 inch display.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Marvell23(m): 5:20pm On Dec 06, 2015
PhonePlanet:

Not heard of it, but that's because it makes no diff, and cannot be compared to snapdragon quick charge in anyway at all!
Having you heard about quick charge technology in infinix hot note. Tell me the Snapdragon chipset that does more than this. I charge my infinix from 0-70% in just 30mins. Remember it has 4000mAh battery
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
Godvilla:
I really dnt what know OP is saying but in real life usage, i can emphatically tell you that snapdragon devices consumes more power than Mediatek cos iv handle both, lots and lots of them.

One question... Have u used a mediatek device with Qhd display? Snapdragon 810 might overheat, but snapdragon 808 and 805 do not overheat. Try compare a mediatek device with Qhd screen and a snapdragon device with a Qhd screen, both with same screen size and same battery size and tell me if mediatek won't falter .
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by NCP: 5:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
Godvilla:

Thank you bro. Kindly educate him.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by kolabad: 5:26pm On Dec 06, 2015
greenhulk:

Yes mediatek consumes more power than snapdragon and exynos processors. Because mediatek are less powerful, they rely on more cores to perform tax. This is why most phones that run mediatek always run on octa cores. Believe it or not more cores mean more power hungry even though they claim to optimize their software. Also lots of quad core snapdragon devices still run faster than lots of octacore mediatek devices .

To supplement this, mediatek phone nanufacturers are now addding bigger batteries to their devices. It's not a. Surprise that a mediatek phone with 4,000mah battery might not have a better battery life than a snapdragon device with just 3,000mah. This is why I keep saying all these Chinese phones are using bigger batteries to deceive us. A mediatek device with 5,000mah battery and a Qhd 5 inch display will not outpower a snapdragon device with 3,500mah battery and a Qhd 5 inch display.
oh if d snapdragron chipset is below snapdragon 800 and u put it against a more recent mediatek say chipset like d helio x10 against the snapdragon 615.. D mediatek chipset wud out perfrom it. So dnt compare it as if its all snapdrogon chipset dah wud perform beta dan a mediatek chipset

1 Like

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by NCP: 5:27pm On Dec 06, 2015
Marvell23:
Having you heard about quick charge technology in infinix hot note. Tell me the Snapdragon chipset that does more than this. I charge my infinix from 0-70% in just 30mins. Remember it has 4000mAh battery

At Least this one is PRACTICALLY IN NAIJA.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 06, 2015
NCP:

Image…
Antutu 3rd Quarter ranking of smartdevices.

Point out the SD powered devices among them

It says most popular smartphones in the world. Of course what do u expect? China has the highest population in the world, followed by India .Population of China and India combined is higher than 10 countries put together among the top 12 most populous countries . xiaomi and meizu are Chinese companies and the Chinese prefer to buy their own phone as the prize is reduced, they also sell very well in India. Americans prefer to buy iphones. So u see why mediatek phones are more popular, but their popularity on just one region while apple and snapdragon phones are known worldwide.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
kolabad:
oh if d snapdragron chipset is below snapdragon 800 and u put it against a more recent mediatek say chipset like d helio x10 against the snapdragon 615.. D mediatek chipset wud out perfrom it. So dnt compare it as if its all snapdrogon chipset dah wud perform beta dan a mediatek chipset

I get ur point. The helio x10 is 64bit, but don't forget that they rely on multiple cores to work well. Snapdragon 600 series are said to be obsolete, they are still used in mid class phones though and they perform even though they are 32 bit. I won't compare snapdragon 600 series with a mediatek helio x10. But let them put a quad core on helio x10 and I tell u it will be as slow as hell .I still have my htc one m7 from 2013 running a quad core snapdragon 600 32 bit and 2gb of ram. It still runs very well, no lags for more than 1 year and I recently started experiencing slight lags due to age. I also used a friends tecno camon c8 and I tell u my htc one m7 is still smoother by lots of miles than the tecno. Still handles multitasking a lot better too.
Re: The Secret Behind "Cheap Mediatek Chips" by kolabad: 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2015
greenhulk:

I get ur point. The helio x10 is 64bit, but don't forget that they rely on multiple cores to work well. Snapdragon 600 series are said to be obsolete, they are still used in mid class phones though and they perform even though they are 32 bit. I won't compare snapdragon 600 series with a mediatek helio x10. But let them put a quad core on helio x10 and I tell u it will be as slow as hell .I still have my htc one m7 from 2013 running a quad core snapdragon 600 32 bit and 2gb of ram. It still runs very well, no lags for more than 1 year and I recently started experiencing slight lags due to age. I also used a friends tecno camon c8 and I tell u my htc one m7 is still smoother by lots of miles than the tecno. Still handles multitasking a lot better too.
true buh u have 2 admit having more processors is d way forward nd phone producers have seen it dass why htc one m9, samsung j7, samsung s6 edge nd so on are octacore nd dey both snapdragon or exynos... Plus d helio x10 deserves more credit dan u giving it cause if dey are nuh as good as u tink dey are phone producers like htc nd sony won't be making use of dem

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anyone Noticed Illegal Credit Deduction From Glo? / Glo Records Largest Internet Penetration In Q1 2017 / What Kind Of Phone Do You Expect Infinix To Launch This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.