Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,277 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation (961 Views)

Left-behind Boy Gets Stuck In 20-cm-wide Gap In China (photo) / How To Fix Iphone 6/6S Stuck In Apple Logo Screen / Call For Your Thin Client , Cbt Setup, Cbt Networking, Wireless Networking , Rdp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by frodobee: 8:10am On Dec 08, 2015
I have to admit I have not worked with this equipment before, this is my first. I have already finished all the cabling from server to switch and to all the thin-client units.
Problem is, I have enabled IP and I still can't see the server. I am just stuck, I have tried all that my little brain can think up.
Appreciate if you can drop by with your comment/solution.
Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by bigtt76(f): 8:35am On Dec 08, 2015
What type of thin client are you installing and what are your objectives (boot image directly from server or run it standalone or access the server's interface via VNC?). What server and OS are you using?

frodobee:
I have to admit I have not worked with this equipment before, this is my first. I have already finished all the cabling from server to switch and to all the thin-client units.
Problem is, I have enabled IP and I still can't see the server. I am just stuck, I have tried all that my little brain can think up.
Appreciate if you can drop by with your comment/solution.
Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by Sheikwonder(m): 8:53am On Dec 08, 2015
What model are you using,and what's the size of the ram?

Also,does it show a steady red light when powered or does it switch to green?

I've used a DELL WYSE before,and this are the common problems I face with that model...
Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by frodobee: 7:06am On Dec 09, 2015
bigtt76:
What type of thin client are you installing and what are your objectives (boot image directly from server or run it standalone or access the server's interface via VNC?). What server and OS are you using?

It just has Thin Client written on it, it has no other branding.
My objectives are:
1. To be able to call up local resources at each unit eg MS Word.
2. To be able to access internet via the server end.
That is all I need. It is not going to be used to any special purpose, its for home use.
Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by frodobee: 7:11am On Dec 09, 2015
Sheikwonder:
What model are you using,and what's the size of the ram?

Also,does it show a steady red light when powered or does it switch to green?

I've used a DELL WYSE before,and this are the common problems I face with that model...

Thanks for dropping by.
I ve checked for the model info on the installation guide, but I couldn't.
But I have a 512mb RAM. But your question made me go over the manual again and I saw written "we recommend to add 256mb RAM per additional THIN CLIENT terminal." Do you think it might be the cause?
And yes the green light come up.
Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by bigtt76(f): 7:17am On Dec 09, 2015
What gateway device are you using? As in how is I Address assigned to the thin clients?

Have you checked if the gateway is actually assigning IP Addresses by using a different laptop on the network?

Also try assigning IP Addresses manually instead of dynamically and see if it works.

I've used HP and Wyse thin clients in the past without issues and yes you need to increase the RAM on your server only if you will be accessing server resources through VNC or remote desktop.

frodobee:

It just has Thin Client written on it, it has no other branding.
My objectives are:
1. To be able to call up local resources at each unit eg MS Word.
2. To be able to access internet via the server end.
That is all I need. It is not going to be used to any special purpose, its for home use.

Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by frodobee: 7:44am On Dec 09, 2015
bigtt76:
What gateway device are you using? As in how is I Address assigned to the thin clients?

Have you checked if the gateway is actually assigning IP Addresses by using a different laptop on the network?

Also try assigning IP Addresses manually instead of dynamically and see if it works.

I've used HP and Wyse thin clients in the past without issues and yes you need to increase the RAM on your server only if you will be accessing server resources through VNC or remote desktop.

Okay. I appreciate your response. I will try the use of laptop or a different device and see what I can get from that.
Thanks.
Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by bigtt76(f): 10:31am On Dec 09, 2015
Great! But you are still silent on the device giving out the IP Address ...are you using Windows Server or a Linux Distro to do this?

frodobee:

Okay. I appreciate your response. I will try the use of laptop or a different device and see what I can get from that.
Thanks.
Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by frodobee: 12:46pm On Dec 09, 2015
bigtt76:
Great! But you are still silent on the device giving out the IP Address ...are you using Windows Server or a Linux Distro to do this?

It is windows Server.
Re: I Am Stuck, I Need Help On Thin Client Installation by bigtt76(f): 1:31pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ok. That means you need to ensure that the Windows Server is correctly configured to give out IP Addresses dynamically. This is usually the problem since it requires some sort of Active Directory setup etc to get this to work. A quick fix maybe would be to implement Internet Connection Sharing and test with a laptop first before plugging in the Thin Clients.

frodobee:

It is windows Server.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Africa Joins The Space Race As Ghana Launches Satellite / HAVE YOU SEEN THE SOYAN 3D PRINTING PEN??? CHECK IT OUT (pics) / Oscilloscope 4 Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.