Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? (2056 Views)

I Can Make OPEN Minded Nairaland ATHEIST Believe In Gods Existence , Try Me / 10 Foolish Things Atheist Believe:) / Why Do Atheist Hate Something That Doesn' Exit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 08, 2015
In case you don't know, the law of karma states that "what goes around comes around." The golden rule wants you to do unto others as you would that they should do to you.
Are these laws natural law or devine law? Do atheists believe in them.
If yes, then why?
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by johnydon22(m): 8:59pm On Dec 08, 2015
There are neither natural or divine but a construct of human society like every other moral code idea.

Someone can be an atheist and still agree to such codec

Personally my principle has always been: We live in a society and our actions affects others around us and so let your actions reflect a pleasing effect on others ..

Empathy and compassion guides my moral views. .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 08, 2015
johnydon22:
Someone can be an atheist and still agree to such codec
Does that not defeat atheism?
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by ShakurM(m): 9:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mozambique:

NO! You don't really know what atheism means?
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by johnydon22(m): 9:21pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mozambique:

In what terms, maybe your own definition of atheism differs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Rixy007(m): 9:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
newtons law states that... to all action there's always an equal and opposite reaction..
you believe it or not karma is real nd it hits us all
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Idrismusty97(m): 9:54pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mozambique:

Atheism isn't a religion. Every atheists can think and act differently, It isn't like a religion that states everyone must do this or that. They are Atheist who are science oriented and believed in the Big Bang theory, Others doesn't.

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 08, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Atheism isn't a religion. Every atheists can think and act differently, It isn't like a religion that states you everyone must do this or that. They are Atheist who are science oriented and believed in the Big Bang theory, Others doesn't.
But karma is beyond the physical.
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by BETATRON(m): 10:03pm On Dec 08, 2015
I personally don't see how KARMA refutes atheism sha,, Yes what Goes around come around----its simply like throwing a ball up---it sure will come down
--------maybe the OP should elaborate more so that I get the point he is trying to make anyways-----------

1 Like

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 08, 2015
johnydon22:
In what terms, maybe your own definition of atheism differs
I think atheistic belief is devoid of the supernatural.
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by davien(m): 10:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
Rixy007:
newtons law states that... to all action there's always an equal and opposite reaction..
you believe it or not karma is real nd it hits us all
You have a kindergarten idea of karma... karma is simply reaping everything you do and experience in life, of your actions in this life, your past lives and your life to come...be it good or bad.

So in respect to karma, if a kid got raped... he/she deserved it...and the rapist may get the fruits of that action also, be it good or bad.. .

Karma is not a justice system as many Nigerians fail to understand, it's simply a "what you see is what you get" concept which is unsound and another non-existent concept bundled to account for the injustice in the world.

"Different schools of Indologists derive different definitions for the karma concept from ancient Indian texts; their definition is some combination of (1) causality that may be ethical or non-ethical; (2) ethicization, that is good or bad actions have consequences; and (3) rebirth.

Other Indologists include in the definition of karma theory as that which explains the present circumstances of an individual with reference to his or her actions in past. These actions may be those in a person's current life, or, in some schools of Indian traditions, possibly actions in their past lives; furthermore, the consequences may result in current life, or a person's future lives.

The law of karma operates independent of any deity or any process of divine judgment.

furthermore, the consequences may result in current life, or a person's future lives."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

1 Like

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 08, 2015
davien:
You have a kindergarten idea of karma... karma is simply reaping everything you do and experience in life, of your actions in this life, your past lives and your life to come...be it good or bad.

So in respect to karma, if a kid got raped... he/she deserved it...and the rapist may get the fruits of that action also, be it good or bad.. .

Karma is not a justice system as many Nigerians fail to understand, it's simply a "what you see is what you get" concept which is unsound and another non-existent concept bundled to account for the injustice in the world.
No. Karma says a kid who rapes will surely be raped. No two ways about it.
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 08, 2015
Don't believen in karma. I place more faith in a credible justice system. Personally, I detest oppression in all forms. I believe everyone has a right to live the life they please as long as it doesn't endanger others.
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by davien(m): 10:47pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mozambique:

No. Karma says a kid who rapes will surely be raped. No two ways about.
Nope, just bad actions lay seed to bad repercussions.. . the repercussions of rape may be a paper cut or being murdered in another life.. the concept does not recognize reaping the same thing...and then again the kid getting raped is according to karma deserving of that effect due to some action he/she might have done in a past or current life.

But one thing that is clear is that the concept is non-existent in the real world, nor does it even have a reason that would justify it in the first place(beyond human emotions that is)
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Rixy007(m): 11:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
davien:

"Different schools of Indologists derive different definitions for the karma concept from ancient Indian texts; their definition is some combination of (1) causality that may be ethical or non-ethical; (2) ethicization, that is good or bad actions have consequences; and (3) rebirth.

Other Indologists include in the definition of karma theory as that which explains the present circumstances of an individual with reference to his or her actions in past. These actions may be those in a person's current life, or, in some schools of Indian traditions, possibly actions in their past lives; furthermore, the consequences may result in current life, or a person's future lives.

The law of karma operates independent of any deity or any process of divine judgment.

furthermore, the consequences may result in current life, or a person's future lives."
ehn ehn u don't mean it
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by johnydon22(m): 11:40pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mozambique:

I think atheistic belief is devoid of the supernatural.
So golden rule or karma is a supernatural belief? ...Don't say it out loud people might laugh at you
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Dec 08, 2015
The world doesn't evolve around humans alone. Everything we see around us are stuff that vibrationally co-exist. The study of repeated patterns of actions and result lead to what is called "The Laws of Karma". I think it took the ancient people time and study after study to reach this idea. Just like the Astrological signs,Periodic table etc. These are advance researches made by ancient scientist,not faith based ideas.

According to esoteric laws which spoke about the 5 basic laws of existence that cannot be broken ever. The fourth laws states "what ever you give out is what you get back". These are laws cleverly plagiarized into the bible. I won't call them rules but actions and reactions.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by CoolUsername: 12:20am On Dec 09, 2015
I don't believe in karma, it doesn't exist to me. Too much evil in this world goes unpunished while good goes unrewarded.

While it may be comforting to believe in the law of karma, it's just not true in our imperfect world.

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by PastorAIO: 1:47am On Dec 09, 2015
Mozambique:
In case you don't know, the law of karma states that "what goes around comes around." The golden rule wants you to do unto others as you would that they should do to you.
Are these laws natural law or devine law? Do atheists believe in them.
If yes, then why?

First, the Law of Karma is just the law of Cause and Effect. It says that Our actions influence future events. People can study this and derive various patterns within Karma. The might notice that negative thoughts have an effect of making bad things happen for some people. They might notice other patterns like the results of certain chemical reactions. The subject of Karma is so broad and arguably covers everything we experience.

I don't understand the dichotomy of Natural vs Divine law. Are you saying that the Divine didn't create the Natural law?

The golden rule makes sense through so many different arguments coming from different perspectives.
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 5:21am On Dec 09, 2015
johnydon22:
So golden rule or karma is a supernatural belief? ...Don't say it out loud people might laugh at you
The golden rule sounds more like a moral principle. But karma? Methink it goes beyond mere natural occurence.
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by davien(m): 8:28am On Dec 09, 2015
Mozambique:

The golden rule sounds more like a moral principle. But karma? Methink it goes beyond mere natural occurence.
You do know the general idea of the "golden rule" predates christianity right?

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 09, 2015
davien:
You do know the general idea of the "golden rule" predates christianity right?
Not until now. I'm not arguing on religious line though,
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by cloudgoddess(f): 10:11am On Dec 09, 2015
Mozambique:

atheism means lack of believe in dieties or gods. it does not say anything about one's moral ideologies.
as for karma, i don't believe in it. however i do know that behaving out of anger and disrespect for others has natural negative consequences, and that showing kindness and compassion is both rewarding to yourself and those around you.

1 Like

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by urahara(m): 3:07pm On Dec 09, 2015
ShakurM:
NO! You don't really know what atheism means?

Don't mind them. With their foolish stereotypical views. In God is not dead atheist were portrayed as miserable. Selfish. Proud and shallow.

1 Like

Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by CoolUsername: 4:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
urahara:

Don't mind them. With their foolish stereotypical views. In God is not dead atheist were portrayed as miserable. Selfish. Proud and shallow.
The easiest way to make people feel comfortable with discriminating against a group is to dehumanize the group.
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by ValentineMary(m): 4:29pm On Dec 09, 2015
Whatever one sow, he reaps. Let us assume u went to sch and u refuse to study, and all u do is party. When result comes out you would fail. That is karma.

Let us also assume you treat others bad and a young man observes u and do same for u when you are old then that is karma/nemesis.

Karma is not divine. It is only natural.
Am agnostic and I don't believe divinity and humanity interact in any way at all.
Re: Do Atheist Believe In Karma Or The Golden Rule? by OgundeleT(m): 9:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
people need to understand the word atheism well, atheism is just lack of believe in any deity, as you can be an armer robber and still be an atheist just like theist. so karma or not has to do with individual. like me now, i dont believe any karma because those that believe in it are somehow hypocritical with it.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Essence Of Life, When All Of Us Will Die. / Hedonism / Christian Jokes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.