Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Holy Communion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Communion (5073 Views)

He Took Holy Communion And Had Sex After Church, Any Repercusion? / New Way Of Receiving Holy Communion Due To Ebola Virus / On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holy Communion by omoruyilag: 5:57pm On Jun 02, 2009
i was at a friend place for a visit last month,when they were having their family devotion,it got to a place were they had holy comunion,they used ground nut and water as bread and blood,i got confused.so i want to know if it is right for one to use anything as Jesus blood and bread?
Re: Holy Communion by archangel1(m): 7:06pm On Jun 02, 2009
it is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 10:20pm On Jun 02, 2009
Is there any comparerism?
Re: Holy Communion by Oxone(m): 3:04am On Jun 03, 2009
Groundnut & water ke shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

why not bushmeat & beer grin grin grin grin

i don't believe its right
Re: Holy Communion by sosisi(f): 3:10am On Jun 03, 2009
Oxone:

Groundnut & water ke shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

why not bushmeat & beer grin grin grin grin

i don't believe its right

ROFL
Suya and five alive nko
Re: Holy Communion by Oxone(m): 4:01am On Jun 03, 2009
$osisi:

ROFL
Suya and five alive nko

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
it would have worked too
Re: Holy Communion by savanaha: 4:37am On Jun 03, 2009
omoruyilag:

i was at a friend place for a visit last month,when they were having their family devotion,it got to a place were they had holy comunion,they used ground nut and water as bread and blood,i got confused.so i want to know if it is right for one to use anything as Jesus blood and bread?

segyemaro:

Is there any comparerism?

Hahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha. Too funny
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 10:36am On Jun 03, 2009
This is funny.

I recall going to a church that used ribena as the substitute for wine. That was a long long time ago.

Imagine a world with less international trade so we couldn't import wine (grapes) and wheat. After all grapes and wheat can't grow everywhere in the world. What would/should christians in those places do? How would they practice holy communion?
Re: Holy Communion by JeSoul(f): 12:41pm On Jun 03, 2009
I saw this thread yesterday and took some time to think about it.
While the bible doesn't say you may or may not substitute these items, I believe it comes down to the motive of the believers partaking of it.

If they wish to share in communion but there's no bread or wine but there're crackers and apple juice or as in this case groundnut and water, I don't see how it can be held against them if their heart is right and motives are pure before God. Like the AIO said above not everyone everywhere in the world has access to wine and bread.
Re: Holy Communion by sosisi(f): 5:45pm On Jun 03, 2009
JeSoul:

I saw this thread yesterday and took some time to think about it.
While the bible doesn't say you may or may not substitute these items, I believe it comes down to the motive of the believers partaking of it.

If they wish to share in communion but there's no bread or wine but there're crackers and apple juice or as in this case groundnut and water, I don't see how it can be held against them if their heart is right and motives are pure before God. Like the AIO said above not everyone everywhere in the world has access to wine and bread.

The Bible clearly says bread and wine and those are easy products to get since anything from agege bread to cabin biscuit can be used as bread.
my sister we are talking about peanuts as a substitution for bread shocked shocked shocked shocked
even yam or white eba could have been better at least they are starchy food like bread.
Re: Holy Communion by bluespice(f): 6:44pm On Jun 03, 2009
omoruyilag:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

the poor thing was even confused grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Holy Communion by JeSoul(f): 7:42pm On Jun 03, 2009
$osisi:

The Bible clearly says bread and wine and those are easy products to get since anything from agege bread to cabin biscuit can be used as bread.
my sister we are talking about peanuts as a substitution for bread shocked shocked shocked shocked
even yam or white eba could have been better at least they are starchy food like bread.

I know peanuts is a lot' different  smiley and while it does tell us it was wine and bread at the table BUT I don't see where it forbids substituting. And this is not a license to substitute whatever we like for the body but I think this is where the motive will come into play.

And who's to say we're only limited to use "starchy foods"? I don't see where that directive was given to us. Say you have a missionary on the field in a remote village and they have no bread and wine and decide to substitute with a local fruit and water - where's the beef with that?
  The way I see it, it is only a symbol of the body & blood of Christ. The actual, physical composition of the food is not what's important but moreso the act and the heart behind the act. Lets not slip on the letter of the law and forget the spirit behind it.
Re: Holy Communion by sosisi(f): 9:15pm On Jun 03, 2009
If I went to a church and they gave peanuts and water for communion,I doubt if I'll partake.
That's just me
Re: Holy Communion by sosisi(f): 9:19pm On Jun 03, 2009
Matthew 26.26-28; Mark 14.22-25; Luke 22.14-19.)

“And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, 'Take, eat; this is My body.' And He took the cup, and gave thanks and gave it to them, saying, 'Drink ye all of it; for this is My blood of the New Testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.” (Matthew 26.26-28.) Note: All the four gospels give the same account, and in Luke 22.19, Jesus said, “This do in remembrance of me.” Also, the apostle Paul wrote to the church at Corinth concerning the Lord's Supper, when he heard they were partaking of it improperly. (1 Corinthians 11.20-34.) In verse 23 it reads: “For I have received from the Lord, that which I also delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus Christ the same night in which He was betrayed, took bread, and when He had given thanks, He brake it and said, 'Take, eat; this is My body which was broken for you. This do in remembrance of Me.”

I will not use peanuts to do it when Christ used bread and asked us to do same
It's called breaking bread not munching peanuts grin
Re: Holy Communion by pilgrim1(f): 9:32pm On Jun 03, 2009
$osisi:

I will not use peanuts to do it when Christ used bread and asked us to do same
It's called breaking bread not munching peanuts grin

No, you wrong! angry angry Very, very W-R-O-N-G!
It's called "breaking bread" and not "breaking groundnuts" - afterall, we don forget say Naija people dey 'break groundnut, colanut, and all sorts of "nuts"'? grin grin 
[img]http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:f0DqYsh-8gauWM:http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11283780/Groundnut.summ.jpg[/img]

You get my meaning, abi?  cheesy

On a serious note, the bread is significant - as much the wine. I think there's a reason why it is called "the fruit of the vine" in Luke 22:18; and although there's some sense in the question of the sincerity of the heart, it is not enough to make special effort to substitute these for something else. Someone has suggested something alarming ("bushmeat & beer"wink - and they could as well say it's according to the sincerity of their hearts as well. Where do we go from there?  Once I was in a friend's church in Nigeria where they used Fanta for communion one week; and then used Coca-Cola several weeks later - in a house fellowship. I was a little embarrassed for my friend who invited me as I didn't partake, although I went several times to the house fellowship (cell-group meeting) and enjoyed the teaching there.
Re: Holy Communion by sosisi(f): 9:38pm On Jun 03, 2009
pilgrim.1:

No, you wrong! angry angry Very, very W-R-O-N-G!
It's called "breaking bread" and not "breaking groundnuts" - afterall, we don forget say Naija people dey 'break groundnut, colanut, and all sorts of "nuts"'? grin grin
[img]http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:f0DqYsh-8gauWM:http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11283780/Groundnut.summ.jpg[/img]

You get my meaning, abi? cheesy

On a serious note, the bread is significant - as much the wine. I think there's a reason why it is called "the fruit of the vine" in Luke 22:18; and although there's some sense in the question of the sincerity of the heart, it is not enough to make special effort to substitute these for something else. Someone has suggested something alarming ("bushmeat & beer"wink - and they could as well say it's according to the sincerity of their hearts as well. Where do we go from there? Once I was in a friend's church in Nigeria where they used Fanta for communion one week; and then used Coca-Cola several weeks later - in a house fellowship. I was a little embarrassed for my friend who invited me as I didn't partake, although I went several times to the house fellowship (cell-group meeting) and enjoyed the teaching there.

LOL
so mineral doesn't qualify?
In Nigeria,we usually used Ribena back then but I haven't had communion in Nigeria in a while so maybe they now use Ava non alcoholic wine.
What wine do you think should be used?
Re: Holy Communion by JeSoul(f): 9:46pm On Jun 03, 2009
$osisi:

If I went to a church and they gave peanuts and water for communion,I doubt if I'll partake.
That's just me

smiley me sef I hate peanuts anyways, but seriously, I would be hesistant too becos all kinds of variety of bread and flavor of wine is available 24/7 to most of us. Like I said I agree it is a slippery slope and people will no doubt begin to substitute whatever they like whenever they like. But in some cases like a missionary on the field in a remote village and they have no bread and wine, are we going to say they cannot partake of communion?

I would say we should stick to bread and wine (or grape juice smiley) but I will not go so far as to say using anything else is wrong. I believe the bible teaches us its more than just the letter of the law.

Sister Pilgrim how you dey?  kiss
pilgrim.1:

On a serious note, the bread is significant - as much the wine. I think there's a reason why it is called "the fruit of the vine" in Luke 22:18; and although there's some sense in the question of the sincerity of the heart, it is not enough to make special effort to substitute these for something else. Someone has suggested something alarming ("bushmeat & beer"wink - and they could as well say it's according to the sincerity of their hearts as well. Where do we go from there?  Once I was in a friend's church in Nigeria where they used Fanta for communion one week; and then used Coca-Cola several weeks later - in a house fellowship. I was a little embarrassed for my friend who invited me as I didn't partake, although I went several times to the house fellowship (cell-group meeting) and enjoyed the teaching there.

grin grin hehe trust Naija.

$osisi:

LOL
In Nigeria,we usually used Ribena back then but I haven't had communion in Nigeria in a while so maybe they now use Ava non alcoholic wine.
  You know some churches do not permit their members to drink any alcohol cheesy  usually they'll use grape or apple juice. Some use that low alcohol content ones 2-6%.
Re: Holy Communion by pilgrim1(f): 9:52pm On Jun 03, 2009
JeSoul:

Sister Pilgrim how you dey? kiss
grin grin hehe trust Naija.

My sister, I dey O. , na by grace! Praise God! And you? I trust all is in control. cheesy

$osisi:

LOL

Nne, you sef suppose decode say na ignorance dey worry me at that time. grin I didn't know 'chickom' for Christianity as such; and when they used 'mineral', belle turn me inside. But I must confess sha - after the cell-group meetings, dem offer me biscuits and Scwepps, my sista. . I grab fast-fast! grin

$osisi:

Me, I no fit talk. However, where I often fellowship (USA or UK), the church uses any grape-fruit juice or wine from grapes. I haven't asked this question though, for there was a time when it was treated in one of the mid-week meetings when I was absent.
Re: Holy Communion by arowolo888: 6:04pm On Jun 04, 2009
thi
pilgrim.1:

My sister, I dey O. , na by grace! Praise God! And you? I trust all is in control. cheesy

Nne, you sef suppose decode say na ignorance dey worry me at that time. grin I didn't know 'chickom' for Christianity as such; and when they used 'mineral', belle turn me inside. But I must confess sha - after the cell-group meetings, dem offer me biscuits and Scwepps, my sista. . I grab fast-fast! grin

Me, I no fit talk. However, where I often fellowship (USA or UK), the church uses any grape-fruit juice or wine from grapes. I haven't asked this question though, for there was a time when it was treated in one of the mid-week meetings when I was absent.

this na serious matter oooooo
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 8:29pm On Jun 04, 2009
Yes oo na serious problem
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 2:44pm On Jun 05, 2009
What if someone has an allergy to nuts and dies right there in the church after the communion?
Re: Holy Communion by pilgrim1(f): 2:52pm On Jun 05, 2009
Pastor AIO:

What if someone has an allergy to nuts and dies right there in the church after the communion?

shocked shocked
Re: Holy Communion by KunleOshob(m): 3:41pm On Jun 05, 2009
What is all this holla about substituiting bread with groudnut when churches[espescially pentecostal and baptist were i attend] have been substituing wine with black currant juice for eons.
Re: Holy Communion by kenny888: 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2009
cant one use any other thing in place of bread and grape juice?
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 8:55am On Jun 08, 2009
Yes,you can hardly get grape juice in the country,so you can use non alcoholic wine and flakes or even the groundnut too is not bad,so far you are doing it with your whole heart.
Re: Holy Communion by KunleOshob(m): 1:22pm On Jun 08, 2009
segyemaro:

Yes,you can hardly get grape juice in the country,so you can use non alcoholic wine and flakes or even the groundnut too is not bad,so far you are doing it with your whole heart.
Why do you suggest non alcoholic wine when it is very clear from scriptures that the wine drank in the time of Jesus was alcoholic? Please note that there is no such thing as non alcoholic wine and what is being refered to as non -alcoholic wine today is actually sparkling fruit juice bottled as wine. The term in itself is described as "an alcoholic beverage".
Re: Holy Communion by Nobody: 3:02am On Jun 09, 2009
nairalanders are the funniest people on earth,gbabeski, imagine am still laughing o
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 10:33am On Jun 09, 2009
An issue that has never been settled by various factions is what exactly the significance of the communion is.

Is it just done as a remembrance of Christ?

Is it done to wash away sins? Drink, this is my blood, poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Is it done to nourish the spirit?

When Jesus says 'do this as often as you eat it . . ' Does he mean that every meal we eat is a eucharist and should be blessed and eaten as such?
Re: Holy Communion by kshow1(m): 5:38pm On Jun 09, 2009
Hmmm religion is a thing of the mind.
The family perceive the ''groundnut and water'' as ''bread and blood.''
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 7:50pm On Jun 09, 2009
Hmmn
Re: Holy Communion by ajokeakin: 7:10pm On Jun 11, 2009
kunle,do you mean that alcoholic drink is biblical?pls i want to know so that i can start with what i am missing.
Re: Holy Communion by KunleOshob(m): 2:41pm On Jun 12, 2009
ajokeakin:

kunle,do you mean that alcoholic drink is biblical?pls i want to know so that i can start with what i am missing.
Yes it is absolutely 100% biblical infact Jesus Christ was also a social drinker you can confrim this fact in luke 7:33-34 @ Matthew 11:18-19

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Do Our Christian Sisters In The House Have To Say About This? / End-time Bible Teaching: The Day Of The Lord / Church Of Satan Now In Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.