Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

What Is A Tribe? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is A Tribe? (2530 Views)

Bizarre Tradition Of A Tribe In Indonesia **viewers Discretion Advised** / Is The Name "ARAB" A Tribe/ethnicity,a Culture Or A Confederation? / Igbo: A Tribe Or A Nation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is A Tribe? by jantavanta(m): 3:08pm On Jun 03, 2009
I see the term "tribe" freely used in this Culture Forum. I would like to know exactly what is a "tribe"?

Why are citizens of Luxembourg not called a tribe? If common language and relative micro-existence (population-wise) defines people as a tribe, then we should talk about the English tribe, Welsh tribe, Scottish tribe, Swedish tribe or the Sicilian tribe.

Why has the term "tribe" been chosen for Africans, and accepted by us without question?
Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 3:44pm On Jun 03, 2009
if you act like a tribe then you're a tribe.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by Ibime(m): 3:46pm On Jun 03, 2009
jantavanta:

I see the term "tribe" freely used in this Culture Forum. I would like to know exactly what is a "tribe"?

Why are citizens of Luxembourg not called a tribe? If common language and relative micro-existence (population-wise) defines people as a tribe, then we should talk about the English tribe, Welsh tribe, Scottish tribe, Swedish tribe or the Sicilian tribe.

Why has the term "tribe" been chosen for Africans, and accepted by us without question?

The term tribe is not only used for Africans, but Europeans before de-tribalisation. . . . Europeans had Goths, Franks, Saxons, Celts etc. . . . same with Indians. . . . Incas, Mayans, Aztecs etc. . . . nothing new. . . . there is no conspiracy against Africans. . . . . keep it moving. . . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 4:10pm On Jun 03, 2009
Pakistanis have tribes, Afghanistan has tribes, native Americans have tribes.

some Africans call it tribe while others prefer ethnic group.

same thing and same mentality.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by jantavanta(m): 4:14pm On Jun 03, 2009
That reminds me of what I read in Asterix Comic books.

Goths became Spaniards, Franks with Celts became French , Anglo-Saxons with Celts became English.

Presently, tribes and ethnic groups seem to be confined to Africa, native America and Middle East / India
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:45pm On Jun 03, 2009
I define "tribe" the way ethnologists define "tribe"; a group of indigenous people, bound by blood ties, who are socially, politically, and religiously organized according to the tenets of their own culture, who live together, occupying a definite territory, and who speak a common language or dialect.

"Tribe" is also not synonymous with "ethnicity".
Re: What Is A Tribe? by Ibime(m): 5:03pm On Jun 03, 2009
jantavanta:

Presently, tribes and ethnic groups seem to be confined to Africa, native America and Middle East / India

Not at all. . . . in Spain we have the Castilians, Catalonians, Andalucians, Basque etc. . . . although they prefer to call themselves nations. . .
Re: What Is A Tribe? by kanurisud: 8:26pm On Jun 03, 2009
God created mankind! from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made them into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other.
so we find each tribe desend from one father, there are memebers joined to tribe via allince so the hold the name of the the tribe although they have blood relations with the poeple of the trible they belong to.
we can not apply the term tribe to poeple who live in a town ie we can' say lagos tribe , london tribe

regards
Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 9:20pm On Jun 03, 2009
kanuri sud:

there are memebers joined to tribe via allince so the hold the name of the the tribe although they have blood relations with the poeple of the trible they belong to.

True.

Most Nigerians deny this though, because they're trying to "fit in" with some cliques.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 11:20pm On Jun 03, 2009
Ibime:

The term tribe is not only used for Africans, but Europeans before de-tribalisation. . . . Europeans had Goths, Franks, Saxons, Celts etc. . . . same with Indians. . . . Incas, Mayans, Aztecs etc. . . . nothing new. . . . there is no conspiracy against Africans. . . . . keep it moving. . . .

Um, those aren't tribes, their empires. An regarding the Celtic tribes and so on, why aren't the Basque people considered a tribe, even Europeans have seen the negative and derogatory nature of calling everything in Africa 'tribes', and the Cherokee, Apache and so on are called Native American nations. Look up the definition of 'tribe'.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by cocoman4u(m): 2:59am On Jun 04, 2009
If you have taken an anthropology class you will understand that societies are classified as:

1) Family
2) Community
3) Tribe
4) Chieftains (ethnicity)
5) State or nation

Family is group of people related, mainly by blood, marriage, or adoption. The leader is usually the father or the mother depending on the custom. In this stage there is no written law or Constitution. The members conduct their behavior based on tradition and rules laid down by the head. Kinship also falls within this category. At this stage there is no president, King, or etc. The person with most authority is the head of the family. One becomes the head due to his age, or gender. This is a primitive stage of the society comparable to the Hunter-gatherer societies.

From the family stage, the society evolves to the community.

Community is made up of families. Groups of family who interact or socially, i.e. related, share customs, share beliefs and live near is a community. Villages, cities and towns, belong to this category. At this stage there are no legal laws. Communities conduct themselves by customs, tradition, and values which usually are backed by religious beliefs, mutual agreement, or superstitious beliefs. Here also there is no President, Government and etc.

The community evolves into a tribe.

The tribe is a group of communities or extended families held together by a shared system of traditions. At this stage there is no complicated and advanced legal system or government. Some tribes may have leaders who are called tribal leaders chiefs but usually tribes are lead by council of elders. According to wikwpedia:

tribe, is a social group of humans connected by a shared system of values and organized for mutual care, defense, and survival beyond that which could be attained by a lone individual or family. A 'tribe' is defined in anthropology. When viewed historically or developmentally, a tribe is a mutual care system which, unlike a kingdom or state or other schema, is oriented around kinship and shared beliefs. Tribes can well exist simultaneously with other schema (see Schema (psychology)) such as states or other systems.
[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe

From Tribes we go to chieftaincy.

Chieftaincy or kingdom. Usually tribes evolve into this stage. These we have the first forms of complicated and laid down laws, Government and etc. Here the society has laws, legal system, government, well defined religious beliefs, and well defined modes of conduct. The society is not lacking in any walk of life-they have philosophers, musicians, teachers, priests, and etc. The society is headed by a King who has more or less power depending on traditions. Some kings have absolute power and are more or less dictators. Some societies at this stage have evolved into a democracy where the people chose the leader. But mostly societies at this stage are usually empire ruled by an emperor (a dictator) like the ancient Romans, Greeks, ancient Egyptians, ancient English and etc.

From this stage the society evolves into a civilized state or nation.

state or nation This is the modern nation or country. I don't need to waste time on this. We all know what a country or a nation is. This stage usually comprises of all the lower stages, IE in a nation you have families, communities, tribes, and chieftaincy. However some societies that have attained to this level (nations) are not recognized by the world as a nations countries or state. This could be due to colonization or political reasons. At this stage there is no primitive. Nigeria is supposed to be a country. There are so many countries in the world, i.e USA, United Kingdom, France, Germany, and South Africa, and etc.

Below is how wikipedia classifies the society:

1. Hunter-gatherer bands, which are generally egalitarian.
2. Tribal societies in which there are some limited instances of social rank and prestige.
3. Stratified tribal societies led by chieftains.
4. Civilizations, with complex social hierarchies and organized, institutional governments
[quote]

After taking all these definitions into consideration you come to the understanding that Igbo, House and Yoruba, are not tribes. These are arguably nations, since they all posses the characteristics of what makes a nation. The colonial masters called them tribes in-order to hide the better truth. The Truth is that they (the colonial masters) invaded west African nations and controlled them. Rather than saying this they say that they colonized and united tribes into a nation. This is an insult on us because tribes are usually more or less a society at a primitive stage. This is one of the reasons why Nigeria is failing; we have to realize that Nigeria is a group of nations trying to amalgamate into one nation.

I once asked my anthropology professor(a white man) why the world calls us(the igbos) a tribe while nobody calls societies like the Irish of United Kingdom tribes.  The professor smiled at me and said in a quite tone, "racism."
Consider that the igbos are more numerous than the Irish. Mare population alone can move a society from the tribal stage to a nation. Once tribe is mentioned, primitivism comes to mind, the world would always like to associate black Africans with primitivism. This is what the colonial masters taught us, and today we still teach this in our schools. Some People who study abroad and people who know what a tribe really means will never consider the Igbos, housa, yourobas and etc, tribes. Listen to Professor Chinua Achebe on this issue.

1 Like

Re: What Is A Tribe? by prittigrrr(f): 4:39am On Jun 04, 2009
An aside: what is a clan and what is the differnce between a clan and a tribe?
Re: What Is A Tribe? by SeanT21(f): 5:36am On Jun 04, 2009
Tribes are plain ridiculous.There is no point in them.

I don't take it serious
!!!
Re: What Is A Tribe? by AloyEmeka9: 9:00am On Jun 04, 2009
Not at all. . . . in Spain we have the Castilians, Catalonians, Andalucians, Basque etc. . . . although they prefer to call themselves nations. . .
So why don't they hate each other the way we do in Nigeria?. Why is Nigeria's case different?. Even Ghana has more harmony than Nigeria.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by asha80(m): 9:21am On Jun 04, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

So why don't they hate each other the way we do in Nigeria?. Why is Nigeria's case different?. Even Ghana has more harmony than Nigeria.

I think they actually hate themselves in spain.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:38pm On Jun 04, 2009
prittigrrr:

An aside: what is a clan and what is the differnce between a clan and a tribe?
Clans are the different communities within the tribe.

SeanT21:

Tribes are plain ridiculous.There is no point in them.

I don't take it serious
!!!

Do you mind expounding on your point?
Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 2:25pm On Jun 04, 2009
una don come again with una grandiose delusion.

You are a tribe as long as you have a tribal (ie closeminded) mentality.

Before jumping on the racism bandwagon look at the countries which dont subscribe to this tribal worldview and see what ways they are different from those who have that.

Native Americans are called tribes and/or nations.  However, most of them live on reservations and limit their interaction with the general US society.

I once asked my anthropology professor(a white man) why the world calls us(the igbos) a tribe while nobody calls societies like the Irish of United Kingdom tribes.  The professor smiled at me and said in a quite tone, "racism."

Wasnt that what you wanted to hear? Oyibos are accommodating.

Tribe shows you are static, not changing. And holding on to ancient mores, boundaries and grudges. It shows the level of development, in a way.

List of confederations of Germanic tribes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederations_of_Germanic_Tribes
Re: What Is A Tribe? by beneli(m): 9:13pm On Jun 04, 2009
it's the collective noun for 'natives' (whatever that means) and also used to describe a group of monkeys!

http://www.ucgc.org/terms-for-collections.htm
Re: What Is A Tribe? by chiogo(f): 1:45am On Jun 05, 2009
I don't like the word, tribe either. I bet when the colonial masters called these groups tribes, they had tiny huts in mind. Well, things have changed, it's now ethnic group. funny 'cause I still find myself saying tribe sometimes.  sad
Re: What Is A Tribe? by SeanT21(f): 3:25am On Jun 05, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Clans are the different communities within the tribe.
Do you mind expounding on your point?

Its ridiculous because Tribes separate people instead of bring them together.NO one should be judge on what tribe they belong too. Tribe is nothing but a word.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:24am On Jun 05, 2009
SeanT21:

Its ridiculous because Tribes separate people instead of bring them together.NO one should be judge on what tribe they belong too. Tribe is nothing but a word.
ok. . well, I've personally got no problem with the use of the word "tribe", so long as it's used properly. I'm from a tribe, and that's just the reality of the situation. I do agree though, a person should be related to, based on who that person is, but I don't believe a person's tribal background can completely be ignored (that is of course, if the person has not yet abandoned their tribal customs, believes, etc. etc.).
Re: What Is A Tribe? by beneli(m): 1:10pm On Jun 05, 2009
Put it this way. Whenever a documentary about 'tribes', is going to be aired on TV, you don't need to be clairvoyant to know that it's not going to be about 'civilised' people. 

Whether people want to accept it or not, there is a lot of social controlling going on out there. The visual and verbal images created whether overtly or subliminally by those who wish to control others, go a long way to shaping the way people think about themselves and how they behave. That is a fact and it's not just another conspiracy theory.

So when you look at it from that perspective, i doubt you'd be extraordinarily enthusiastic about flying the tribe-banners very high!

It's true that everybody comes from some group or the other, but must the group be described with the rather uncomplimentary 'tribe', when talking about 'black' Africans and other such developmentally challenged peoples?
Re: What Is A Tribe? by Abz: 1:40pm On Jun 05, 2009
quote from ChinenyeN:
I define "tribe" the way ethnologists define "tribe"; a group of indigenous people, bound by blood ties, who are socially, politically, and religiously organized according to the tenets of their own culture, who live together, occupying a definite territory, and who speak a common language or dialect.

Oxford English Dict:
Tribe: a group of people within a traditional society sharing customs and beliefs,

My question: how do you explain who you are,

My answer: I am Abz a Yoruba Nigerian from the Ogun state ethnicity, the Egba tribe

You're who you're no matter what; and there is no reason to attach a negative reference to the word 'tribe', please take that vision of huts residences out of your mind. It is what it is.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by jantavanta(m): 2:05pm On Jun 05, 2009
The Irish and Basque "tribes" have been fighting to preserve their separate commmon language/dialect and customs from their
amalgamated Nation-State. The Basque language of Spain is completely different from the rest of Spain and Europe.

Even the Bretons of France are doing the same, non-violently. Read about the Irish Republican Army and the Basque Separatists.

Amalgamated-Nation-State creation in the history of Europe and Americas involved centuries of bloodshed. The antagonisms still exist today.

The Welsh still question the validity of an English Prince of Wales and the Scottish have to bear with an English Duke of Edinburgh!

When the Serbian and Bosnian "tribes" started their "tribal" war, it came as a shock to those of us who imagined Yugoslavia to be a "non-tribe"
nation.

Amalgamated-Nation-State creation anywhere on earth usually involves the suppression of the weak by the mighty. Some weak may not give in easily.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by beneli(m): 2:07pm On Jun 05, 2009
Abz:
My answer: I am Abz a Yoruba Nigerian from the Ogun state ethnicity, the Egba tribe
You're who you're no matter what; and there is no reason to attach a negative reference to the word 'tribe', please take that vision of huts residences out of your mind. It is what it is

Interesting. The issue, however, is not so much about who you are 'no matter what', but more about what others call you and the reasons why they call you that. Hence the argument. Some Africans feel like break dancing when they are called 'black'. I don't. Because it does not describe me in any way. But that's another topic. Just like i don't describe the clan i come from in terms of 'tribe'.

So @ Abz, what's wrong in saying that you are an Egba man from the Yoruba peoples of Nigeria, instead of denigrating the proud Egba people with the inelegant cloak of 'tribe'? I won't. But then that's my choice.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by Abz: 2:55pm On Jun 05, 2009
@beneli

I'm struggling to understand the understatement, What is wrong with the word 'tribe'. Taking into consideration that people will break dance on most things anyway, I take things simply for what they are; if not, I will have to throw away the English dict along with the English language, come up with my own language, so when someone say an english word i don't like, I tell him no, this is the real word
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:08pm On Jun 05, 2009
Abz:

You're who you're no matter what; and there is no reason to attach a negative reference to the word 'tribe', please take that vision of huts residences out of your mind. It is what it is.
Exactly.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by beneli(m): 3:27pm On Jun 05, 2009
Abz:

@beneli
What is wrong with the word 'tribe'

I simply don't like the word and all that it connotes. But you are right about the breakdancing thing though!
Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 4:12pm On Jun 05, 2009
beneli:

I simply don't like the word and all that it connotes. But you are right about the breakdancing thing though!

I'm one of the people breakdancing when I'm called black.

Why?

Because God doesnt make junk!
Re: What Is A Tribe? by romeo(m): 4:54pm On Jun 05, 2009
asha 80:

I think they actually hate themselves in spain.

Where did you get that shit from? Are you there?

Ibime:

No they are not Nations but Autonomous communities. Though there are some nationalistic elements all over the place. Castilian language is the widely accepted Official National language. Tthe rest have dialects and not languages except Basque people
Re: What Is A Tribe? by asha80(m): 5:20pm On Jun 05, 2009
romeo:

Where did you get that shit from? Are you there?

No they are not Nations but Autonomous communities. Though there are some nationalistic elements all over the place. Castilian language is the widely accepted Official National language. Tthe rest have dialects and not languages except Basque people

i know that you are in spain so will know better.However i have read stories about general franco and about resistance from both the basque and catalan region.I also read about 2 years ago about a referendum in the catalan region about more indepedence fom madrid.Of course you know about ETA.Even xabi alonso(basque) refused to fly the spanish flag after the euro 2008 win.Catalans have often written to fifa to have their own independent national team.

However since you are in the catalan region you might enlighten me better on the situation in spain.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 6:15pm On Jun 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Ghana is mostly made of Akan sub groups (Fante, Ewe, Ashanti etc.), these people have a direct common descent, so their really the same people. Also the cultures around them are really similar to each other, such as the Fon, etc.

Abz:

quote from ChinenyeN:

Oxford English Dict:
Tribe: a group of people within a traditional society sharing customs and beliefs,

This is the reason why I argue that Igbo people are not a 'tribe'.

Igbo people are not all indigenous, we were made by waves of migrations, we do not have a common descent, we definitely don't speak a common dialect.

According to Webster's "New World Dictionary" the word tribe means "a group of persons, families, or clans believed to be descended from a common ancestor and forming a close community under a leader, or chief."

We don't all descend from a common ancestor, we don't and never have had a close community (as all Igbo people), and we are definitely not under any leader of chief, not even the basic level communities all have chiefs or leader. I've not even pointed out the obvious that we are over 30 million.

Just because some archaic European social constructs have been named tribes, does not automatically mean that "if they could call their own people a tribe then we Africans, who's ancestors were made of damp wood, can not possibly say our ethnic groups can be more evolved than these thousand year old tribes."

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tell Me More About Nigerian Ram Fighting / What Does Your Name (foreign) Really Mean? / Ika Trail Blazers In The Last 100 Years Plus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.