Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

What Is A Tribe? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is A Tribe? (2533 Views)

Bizarre Tradition Of A Tribe In Indonesia **viewers Discretion Advised** / Is The Name "ARAB" A Tribe/ethnicity,a Culture Or A Confederation? / Igbo: A Tribe Or A Nation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 5:34pm On Jun 06, 2009
besides, at the very basic grassroots, tribal identity also springs from the worship of the same gods and deities.

Aside from blood ties. Where does cultural identity which leads to tribe come from? What defines a culture at the most elementary level- isnt it religion?
Re: What Is A Tribe? by oyinda3(f): 7:28pm On Jun 06, 2009
Many ethnic groups in Africa and other developing world are usually wrongfully labeled as tribes. Imagine, there are upwards of 10 million yoruba people worldwide and we are still labeled as a "tribe."

for clarification: Bands consist of hunters and gatherers (supposedly the most primitive form of existence).

[img]http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/Anthro/Anth101/bandtribechief.jpg[/img]
Re: What Is A Tribe? by beneli(m): 8:24pm On Jun 06, 2009
The arguement is not whether 'tribes' exist or not.

They sure do, going by the dictionary definition of the word. The arguement is whether it is still relevant when describing a lot of the 'ethnic' groups that make up most countries in the developing world. In the case of Nigeria, we are talking about the Bini, Esan, Hausa, Ijaw etc.

These peopes are not tribes. They, by virtue of their numbers, can lay claims to being 'nations' or whatever it is the English, or Welsh or Catalans would like to call themselves.

Why i dislike the word 'tribe' is the images it conjures up in the mind.

People who study the evolution of language know that language is not just about the communication of words. If it were that, then languages would not have evolved beyond the 'grunt' of primitive man. Language evolves because what is communicated includes the ideas and associations of the word. An example is the word 'wicked', which 10-20 years ago meant something entirely different to what it means to the sixteen year old teenager on the streets of Hackney today.

The images the word 'tribe' conjures in the mind, is also implied when it is used to describe African peoples. That is my point.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 8:56pm On Jun 06, 2009
tribes arent always about numbers.

The label isnt defined by how many members the group has.

Thats just a common misconception. Most times, tribes are characterized by their mentality and behavior.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by beneli(m): 9:19pm On Jun 06, 2009
@tpiah

You are right. The problem with 'behaviour' is that it is fundamentally determined by self-image. Show me a 'tribal' man and i'll show you a man battling with a lot of insecurities and self-esteem issues.

The re-engineering of our minds must start with the redefining of who we are. It is not primitive 'tribes' that populate the banks of the river Niger from the Futa Djallon mountains of Senegambia to the Delta regions of the bight of Bonny, but proud nations, each with histories no less significant than the history of the British monarchy. When we begin to see ourselves in that light, then we will begin to respect ourselves and 'behave' like the proud people we should be and not resign ourselves to being incompetent 'black African tribes' whose only legacy is slavery, colonialism and incessant squabbles over whose 'tribe' is better than the others. The latter, by the way, is how the rest of the world sees us.

Sorry if i sounded pedantic or patronising. I didn't mean to be.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 9:26pm On Jun 06, 2009
beneli:

@tpiah

You are right. The problem with 'behaviour' is that it is fundamentally determined by self-image. Show me a 'tribal' man and i'll show you a man battling with a lot of insecurities and self-esteem issues.

The re-engineering of our minds must start with the redefining of who we are. It is not primitive 'tribes' that populate the banks of the river Niger from the Futa Djallon mountains of Senegambia to the Delta regions of the bight of Bonny, but proud nations, each with histories no less significant than the history of the British monarchy. When we begin to see ourselves in that light, then we will begin to respect ourselves and 'behave' like the proud people we should be and not resign ourselves to being incompetent 'black African tribes' whose only legacy is slavery, colonialism and incessant squabbles over whose 'tribe' is better than the others. The latter, by the way, is how the rest of the world sees us.

Sorry if i sounded pedantic or patronising. I didn't mean to be.

I was actually just making a general contribution to the thread- sorry if my post seemed to be directed at you.

But I agree with what you're saying.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by oyinda3(f): 9:48pm On Jun 06, 2009
Show me a 'tribal' man
wink

Re: What Is A Tribe? by beneli(m): 9:55pm On Jun 06, 2009
@Oyinda

Thanks for showing me the 'tribal' man. I'm sure that underneath that loin cloth is a man battling with a lot of insecurities and unacknowledged self-esteem issues smiley
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:11am On Jun 07, 2009
tpiah:

Aside from blood ties. Where does cultural identity which leads to tribe come from? What defines a culture at the most elementary level- isnt it religion?
I'm not sure if you actually mean for people to answer, but I'll answer it anyway. I think it's safe to say that it is spirituality (maybe first beginning from notions/understandings/beliefs of and regarding the soul), and not necessarily religion. I may be wrong though.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by tpiah: 4:03am On Jun 07, 2009
ChinenyeN:

I'm not sure if you actually mean for people to answer, but I'll answer it anyway. I think it's safe to say that it is spirituality (maybe first beginning from notions/understandings/beliefs of and regarding the soul), and not necessarily religion. I may be wrong though.

yes, it was an open question but by religion I meant the gods and deities specific to each tribe. They play a crucial role in tribal formation and identity at the grassroots level.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 4:19pm On Jun 07, 2009

Japan. . . . . . . . . . .
Re: What Is A Tribe? by jantavanta(m): 8:03am On Jun 08, 2009
I would like to hear someone say "the Japanese tribe"

The term "tribe" has been used to haunt Africans to seek their advancement in self-rejection.

In Japan there is a shrine in Futarasan http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3804.html for three Shinto deities.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 1:21pm On Jun 08, 2009
jantavanta:
The term "tribe" has been used to haunt Africans to seek their advancement in self-rejection.

We do this occasionally, but its in full effect amongst those in the Americas and beyond. . . . . . . . . .

[flash=400,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNSf-Xff6I&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x000000&color2=0x000000"[/flash]
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:14am On Jun 09, 2009
tpiah:

yes, it was an open question but by religion I meant the gods and deities specific to each tribe. They play a crucial role in tribal formation and identity at the grassroots level.
Oh yeah. In that case, I agree.
Re: What Is A Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 2:29pm On Jun 09, 2009
tpiah:

There are some tribes that don't believe in a God.
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3q6Cid1po&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x000&color2=0x000"[/flash]

(1) (2) (Reply)

History Of Agbor And Ika People / IGBOPHOBIA EXISTS | The Igbo Hate Is Real. / 'why Are You Gay?' - This Is The Funny Live TV Interview That Rocked Uganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.