Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,660 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro (5859 Views)

Aspire Ux S8 - Icon Pack Apk V1.2.0 / Gameplay On i7-6700k, Gtx 1070 Mini Itx Oc, Acer XR341ck@ 85hz, 3440x1440 / pc games for Acer aspire 2gb ram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 5:38pm On Dec 11, 2015
Hy, i'm planning on getting a new laptop. I'm a student and a Photographer. Most of what I'll be doing is Photo Editing (Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom) and Gaming all to an external display when i'm not on the road. Most photographers i know recommend the Macbook Pro I've used it and i'm impressed with what I've seen concerning Video and Photo Editing and i trust apple for durability and consistency of their product only that i haven't heard anyone talked about gaming on a Macbook Pro and its expensive except without the retina display and i'm not used to Mac oS
While the Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro Black edition is among top gaming laptops and as well good for Photo and video editing.

If i buy the Macbook ($1200) won't i be shooting myself in the foot when i know i'll be gaming frequently? Or are Macbook ok for gaming?
Or the Acer custom here in china (Intel Core i5, 8gb RAM, 1TB hdd, 60GB SSD and NVIDIA GTX960M) 1980 ×1080p which Might be an overkill?

what I need most is

Durability and consistency over time
Photo Editing ability
And very important is Gaming.
Please i need your unbiased opinion.

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/1425938838000_1128836.jpg
http://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images500x500/1436290606000_IMG_511641.jpg
http://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images500x500/1436290606000_IMG_511634.jpg

@Cao
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by Brimmie(m): 6:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
I don't own a Mac.. Only used it during my Internship. So, don't have any take Gaming on Mac.

I'm into Graphics and love gaming (not a freak). I'm using Lenovo Z510 - 6GB RAM - 2GB Nvidia - 1TB HDD - Core i5 .
I use Lightroom 5, Illustrator CC, Photoshop CC, After Effects CC, PremierePro CC, Audition CC and Adobe Muse.

I play Battlefield 4 34GB and PES 16 (Yeah.. 2016!) Those are the two games I play often.

I installed Mortal Kombat 10 (32GB)
Sniper Elite 3 (14GB)
and Blur (7GB)

These games run smoothly on my Laptop. Even though the Laptop's Battery is a Sucker - it sucks! That's the only down side of it. Though, I never planned to run any of the installed programs on battery.

To avoid Complications - based on my experience on iOS Phones: Go for any Machine that runs on Windows. Most of these games needs patch to work smoothly.. PES 16 for example. You might need to tweak some stuffs. It would be hard to do that on Macintosh.

With those Specs, Pls go for the Acer! GTX 960M!!?? shocked Mine is 740M !

By the way, have you ruled out other Brands? Check some Asus Gaming PCs.

2 Likes

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by cao(f): 6:50pm On Dec 11, 2015
@Brimmie, I know what you mean with Lenovo, I only got mine (Z50-75) because of the full HD screen, which I broke, the replacement screen isn't full HD. cry . The battery is nonsense.

As for the topic, AdeLaNa1 give us your boundless information.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by khalhokage(m): 8:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
Go with the Acer, The Macbook doesn't cut it for gaming, apart from the obvious fact that gaming performance isn't great you'll also have the problem of support, the majority of games don't get released on MacOS.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 8:56pm On Dec 11, 2015
Brimmie:
I don't own a Mac.. Only used it during my Internship. So, don't have any take Gaming on Mac.

I'm into Graphics and love gaming (not a freak). I'm using Lenovo Z510 - 6GB RAM - 2GB Nvidia - 1TB HDD - Core i5 .
I use Lightroom 5, Illustrator CC, Photoshop CC, After Effects CC, PremierePro CC, Audition CC and Adobe Muse.

I play Battlefield 4 34GB and PES 16 (Yeah.. 2016!) Those are the two games I play often.

I installed Mortal Kombat 10 (32GB)
Sniper Elite 3 (14GB)
and Blur (7GB)

These games runs smoothly on my Laptop. Even though the Laptop's Battery is a Sucker - it sucks! That's the only down side of it. Though, I never planned to run any of the installed programs on battery.

To avoid Complications - based on my experience on iOS Phones: Go for any Machine that runs on Windows. Most of these games needs patch to work smoothly.. PES 16 for example. You might need to tweak some stuffs. It would be hard to do that on Macintosh.

With those Specs, Pls go for the Acer! GTX 960M!!?? shocked Mine is 740M !

By the way, have you ruled out other Brands? Check some Asus Gaming PCs.
Hy Brimmie, i remember your from Art and Graphic section.. So you bought a gaming laptop or a beast i should say and want to eat your cake and have it? grin cheesy you're wicked. Generally they don't last on battery. As for patches i'm on the windows side but the problem here is if i'm spending this on any of these i want to be sure i'll have a big grin knowing it'll be consistent in performance over time (which takes me back to the Macbook) windows tend to slow down over time, or will the SSD drive help stabilize performance drop common in Windows over time. Both of them Will do well in photo editing i'm sure of. Which again takes me back to Gaming which I'm not sure will be good with the Macbook. I don't plan on replacing any one i settle for soon. And one thing with the Acer is that I can change or upgrade Graphic card later. If someone can convince me of the Macbook to handle gaming as good as the Acer, i'll go for it.

As for other brand, the Asus i like though on part with the Acer costs much more (Asus Rog G552), Alienware too expensive and i'm not a hard gamer so something good enough not an overkill.

1 Like

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 8:58pm On Dec 11, 2015
I also checked the lenovo y50 but since I'll be editing pictures i noticed colours fall off from different viewing angles even with its 4k display and i don't trust how it's body can withstand abuse cheesy
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 9:01pm On Dec 11, 2015
cao:
@Brimmie, I know what you mean with Lenovo, I only got mine (Z50-75) because of the full HD screen, which I broke, the replacement screen isn't full HD. cry . The battery is nonsense.

Thanks.
khalhokage:
Go with the Acer, The Macbook doesn't cut it for gaming, apart from the obvious fact that gaming performance isn't great you'll also have the problem of support, the majority of games don't get released on MacOS.
i didn't even think of the release aspect. Thanks. What about consistency in performance over time? Having to format once your system begins to slow down. Will the ssd help in that aspect?
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by khalhokage(m): 9:14pm On Dec 11, 2015
SmooshCHN:
i didn't even think of the release aspect. Thanks. What about consistency in performance over time? Having to format once your system begins to slow down. Will the ssd help in that aspect?

Definitely, the two major selling points for SSDs are major speed upgrade over HHDs and you never have to defragment, it's not going to slow down over time.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 9:18pm On Dec 11, 2015
khalhokage:

Definitely, the two major selling points for SSDs are major speed upgrade over HHDs and you never have to defragment, it's not going to slow down over time.
Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by Jskelly11: 9:19pm On Dec 11, 2015
Go for the Aspire
if you gat the cash buy the
V17 model

1 Like

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by Brimmie(m): 10:01pm On Dec 11, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Hy Brimmie, i remember your from Art and Graphic section.. So you bought a gaming laptop or a beast i should say and want to eat your cake and have it? grin cheesy you're wicked. Generally they don't last on battery. As for patches i'm on the windows side but the problem here is if i'm spending this on any of these i want to be sure i'll have a big grin knowing it'll be consistent in performance over time (which takes me back to the Macbook) windows tend to slow down over time, or will the SSD drive help stabilize performance drop common in Windows over time. Both of them Will do well in photo editing i'm sure of. Which again takes me back to Gaming which I'm not sure will be good with the Macbook. I don't plan on replacing any one i settle for soon. And one thing with the Acer is that I can change or upgrade Graphic card later. If someone can convince me of the Macbook to handle gaming as good as the Acer, i'll go for it.

As for other brand, the Asus i like though on part with the Acer costs much more (Asus Rog G552), Alienware too expensive and i'm not a hard gamer so something good enough not an overkill.

Lol.. I wish I could still have the cake. The Laptop is sexy tho. tongue

I don't trust any Laptop Screen Colours - most especially when I'm editing Video. I connect to TV via HDMI before doing any Colour Correction.

Well, Asus and Acer products seems to be more durable compared to other brands on Windows. Oh.. MSI??! That's another machine.

Just like you said, if you can get a Mac Gamer to convince you.. Then go for it! But I'm not sure you be able to get 'nuff games that runs on Mac.

EDIT:
Oh! khalhokage said that already.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
cao:

SmooshCHN iSee Brimmie and Khalhokage already answered ur questions smiley smiley smiley

Anyways Brimmie, do u play BF4 multiplayer??
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by Brimmie(m): 12:08am On Dec 12, 2015
AdeLaNa1:
SmooshCHN iSee Brimmie and Khalhokage already answered ur questions smiley smiley smiley

Anyways Brimmie, do u play BF4 multiplayer??

Nope.. Never tried it. What's it like?
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 12:35pm On Dec 12, 2015
Jskelly11:
Go for the Aspire
if you gat the cash buy the
V17 model
That's the 17inch model. The 15inch is ok.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 12:39pm On Dec 12, 2015
Brimmie:

Lol.. I wish I could still have the cake. The Laptop is sexy tho. tongue

I don't trust any Laptop Screen Colours - most especially when I'm editing Video. I connect to TV via HDMI before doing any Colour Correction.

Well, Asus and Acer products seems to be more durable compared to other brands on Windows. Oh.. MSI??! That's another machine.

Just like you said, if you can get a Mac Gamer to convince you.. Then go for it! But I'm not sure you be able to get 'nuff games that runs on Mac.

EDIT:
Oh! khalhokage said that already.
Msi ge40 is good too expensive though.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 12, 2015
Brimmie:

Nope.. Never tried it. What's it like?
Its like every fps multiplayer but better cos of its gamemodes and vehicles.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by seunpayne(m): 5:27pm On Dec 13, 2015
Why do you have to chose? I own the Acer (black edition) and then I dual booted osx on it. I use the Mac side the most but when it's time to play games I switch to Windows. It's a no brainer... Pick the Acer

1 Like

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 5:41pm On Dec 13, 2015
seunpayne:
Why do you have to chose? I own the Acer (black edition) and then I dual booted osx on it. I use the Mac side the most but when it's time to play games I switch to Windows. It's a no brainer... Pick the Acer
Thanks
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by seunpayne(m): 11:57pm On Dec 13, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Thanks
You're welcome
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 12:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
seunpayne:
Got ya grin. I'm going for the i7, 16gb ram, 256GB SSD 1tb hdd gtx 860m. Thanks for taking your time to comment.

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by youngice(m): 8:27am On Dec 23, 2015
seunpayne:
Where did you download the OS X image
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by seunpayne(m): 12:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Got ya grin. I'm going for the i7, 16gb ram, 256GB SSD 1tb hdd gtx 860m. Thanks for taking your time to comment.

Omo, you be FBI? See as you track me reach Amazon. Guy please don't buy that model. Gtx 860m isn't a great card. Most new games will struggle with it. Get the 960m. The difference isn't much in actual graphic power but in terms of optimizations it floors the 860m
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by seunpayne(m): 12:29pm On Dec 26, 2015
youngice:

Where did you download the OS X image

Tonymacx86.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 4:57pm On Dec 26, 2015
seunpayne:

Omo, you be FBI? See as you track me reach Amazon. Guy please don't buy that model. Gtx 860m isn't a great card. Most new games will struggle with it. Get the 960m. The difference isn't much in actual graphic power but in terms of optimizations it floors the 860m
I read about that too but I already ordered it. cry Its not the end of the world though so I'm waiting to see how it turns out.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by seunpayne(m): 9:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
No P. You go still enjoy am
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 11:54am On Dec 28, 2015
Thank everyone who contributed to helping me out. I went for the Acer VN7 Nitro. And so far so good i'm really happy with what I've experienced so far. It's lightning fast and just joy to use. I got it for $1000 at a discounted price though. It's core i7, 16gb RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD and GTX860M 4gb. The display is also good and there's a noticeable difference moving up to 1080p. I'm yet to play games on it. Still downloading them and would comment on those later. Thanks @seunpayne @adelana1 @brimmie @Cao @khalhokage and others. See you i'm the gaming world too wink

1 Like

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 28, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Thank everyone who contributed to helping me out. I went for the Acer VN7 Nitro. And so far so good i'm really happy with what I've experienced so far. It's lightning fast and just joy to use. I got it for $1000 at a discounted price though. It's core i7, 16gb RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD and GTX860M 4gb. The display is also good and there's a noticeable difference moving up to 1080p. I'm yet to play games on it. Still downloading them and would comment on those later. Thanks @seunpayne @adelana1 @brimmie @Cao @khalhokage and others. See you i'm the gaming world too wink
Nice!!

1 Like

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by khalhokage(m): 12:38pm On Dec 28, 2015
You're welcome.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by Brimmie(m): 6:34am On Dec 29, 2015
SmooshCHN:

Congrats bro! But $1000 is quite cheap for that machine.

I 'ld like to hear from you when you start using Macintosh on it. smiley
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by SmooshCHN: 7:37am On Dec 29, 2015
Brimmie:

Congrats bro! But $1000 is quite cheap for that machine.

I 'ld like to hear from you when you start using Macintosh on it. smiley
Electronics are considerably cheap where i am hence the cheap price plus christmas discount.. It's usually around $1180 when converted.

I don't know if i'll dual boot it yet. Maybe during the holiday i'll try it. Which games do you play often? Still yet to play games with it.
Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by seunpayne(m): 8:54am On Dec 31, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Electronics are considerably cheap where i am hence the cheap price plus christmas discount.. It's usually around $1180 when converted.

I don't know if i'll dual boot it yet. Maybe during the holiday i'll try it. Which games do you play often? Still yet to play games with it.

If you choose to dual boot then use Yosemite. El Capitan isn't stable yet. For games, I recommend starting from the bottom. 2013 games are a good starting point and then work your way up. Don't rush into the latest. It'll ruin your experience. Dragon age series, borderland series, mass effect series, batman series, play gta 4 and then gta 5. Pick up modern warfare 2 and work your way up. The witcher series, gosh I can go on and on. If you need a good playing order or review for which to play first omo just ask me. I'm excited in your behalf. Congrats once again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Macbook Pro Or Acer Aspire Vn7 Nitro by cao(f): 10:12am On Dec 31, 2015
seunpayne:

If you choose to dual boot then use Yosemite. El Capitan isn't stable yet. For games, I recommend starting from the bottom. 2013 games are a good starting point and then work your way up. Don't rush into the latest. It'll ruin your experience. Dragon age series, borderland series, mass effect series, batman series, play gta 4 and then gta 5. Pick up modern warfare 2 and work your way up. The witcher series, gosh I can go on and on. If you need a good playing order or review for which to play first omo just ask me. I'm excited in your behalf. Congrats once again.

That moment when you start reliving the moment, while you're trying to explain the moment to someone else...that's a good moment.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Soccer Game Ever For Ps1 We2002(old Soccer) / Dirt cheap Xbox 360 Games / Game Console: Ps3 Or Xbox 360 Elite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.