Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years (54730 Views)

Naira Finally Improves At The Interbank Rate / Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market / Naira Finally Devalued To N290/$ By Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Burger01(m): 6:36am On Dec 12, 2015
Raiders:
GEJ is responsibility for all our economic problem.
I can't agree more sad
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by solid3(m): 6:36am On Dec 12, 2015
Firefire:
I was charged 225N / USD today for international online transaction .

We are getting closer to Dangote's prediction of 500/$.

May God deliver Nigeria and Nigerians. embarassed

Which bank was that cos Diamond charges 237 on 10th Dec
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by HaneefahRN(f): 6:40am On Dec 12, 2015
May God help this Country, the Nigerian economy is in deep sh'it. The price of oil is also free falling, the money we shld av as reserve av been packed and looted by polithiefcians even for their generations unborn and even incurred debts for the Country.
It is well
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by nattyGENT: 6:41am On Dec 12, 2015
Do you see?
CHANGE!

From
G-OOD=Goodluck
to
B-AD=Buhari
NIGERIANS SHINE UNA EYES, STAND UP AGAINST NEGATIVE CHANGE, SAY NO TO LIE LIE APC- Alliance for Poverty Congress
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 12, 2015
Kenai:

http://www.thecable.ng/naira-trades-at-260-highest-in-42-years

With this disastrous news, get ready for tomorrow's story by Buhari and his goons on Goodluck Jonathan's $980bn loot, all in a desperate attempt to deflect attention from our current economic woes and keep their gullible supporters distracted on frivolities and nonsensical white lies.

If we didn't have a voting public so intellectually vapid, the focus would have been on asking our dear mallam to adequately elucidate on how he so miraculously "Cut down Nigeria's Inflation from 20 percent to 0 percent" as his campaign team so falsely bellowed.
Did he do it with a cutlass?
A few minutes of investigation and fact-checking would have made it clear to anyone that the story was nothing but a blatant lie.
When you claim to be an honest man, but your campaign promises are filled to the brim with unintelligent lies and slogans, it's time for some soul searching.

What's even worse is the fact that this man fought tooth and nail for the presidency for 12 years. 12 SOLID YEARS!
He finally gets there and is as visionless and lost as ever, promising to hit the ground running but taking 6 months to build a cabinet; with his mouth in hyperdrive and his brain in suspended animation.

Shame on this Twitter generation.
I will never be a slave to ignorance.

cc: Lalasticlala, Dominique, Ishilove, Firefire, AgabaI23, Atlwireles, WhiteTechnology, Whynotthetruth, Beremx, sunnyb0b0, Anonimi, MizMyColi, Ola6, Chukwudi44, NgeneUkwenu, Midolian, Modath, OrlandoOwoh, Jarus, Owobokiri, Owobikiri, AnambraDota, Rozayx5, Mogidi, TonyeBarcanista, Ecoterrors, Rawtruth, Onenaira3, Dabullit

i think you are a solid f,ool the economy is in shambles cos our earning power is weak and our current budget is the one prepare by el-clueless
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by oshyno(m): 6:42am On Dec 12, 2015
Standing5:
Whenever i read comments by your likes, it isn't hard to percieve the feeling of insecurity this probe thing is causing 'you guys'. As of March, the value of dollar was speculated to hit around 260 Naira by June/July. So if it is just hitting N260 your brain should tell your Buhari was able to push the D-day forward some 5 months and that's no mean feat given that the factor used in predicting those value has since changed for worse.

Insecurity ? I have no idea what ur saying man. Predictions were made that Nigeria will brake up b4 2015. Somebody worked hard to avart that. What that means is that Buhari could not steem the tide.
Can u tell me d policy direction of this government. Just name one apart from fighting corruption. Even the fight on corruption, we are only inundated with how this stole billions on papers with counter accusations. Nobody I repeat nobody leaves the fire burning to be chasing rat. D economy is in worst shape. Minister of finance has to come and talk to investors.assuage their fear and tell us were we are headed. Nobody invest his money on uncertainties.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by mployer(m): 6:42am On Dec 12, 2015
NaLaugh:

Enlighten me, oh dear professor. smiley

Lol, I am no prof bro smiley

The problem is that the cbn cannot sustain the 199 rate due to the decline in our forex earning. If they sell to everybody at that rate, our foreign reserve will burn out. So they have to hoard the dollar and come up with different policies that will limit peoples access to dollar. The more they do that, the more the black market price increase. On the economics of supply and demand, the black market price represents the real price.

The cbn has no choice than devalue the naira to the black market price, so that whomever that wants and can afford the dollar will have an easy access to it. This will bring stability and confidence to the economy.

But they won't do it because they are afraid most Nigerians including the government itself won't understand why they have to do it.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by gottliebglobal(m): 6:43am On Dec 12, 2015
ifyan:
I don't think it's up to this figure because it was sold at N250.00 to N253.00 today.

Check it from here http://www.nairausd.com/2015/12/exchange-rate-of-dollar-to-naira11th.html?m=1

Not everything you read on the Internet is true
Why is yours true?
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by iamord(m): 6:48am On Dec 12, 2015
murtalaa:
if you are a legitimate importer, you can access the dollar at official rate of 197.
How. Pls expanciate
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by mediachirps(m): 6:49am On Dec 12, 2015
The zoo most fall.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by PoosPoos: 6:58am On Dec 12, 2015
[quote author=Kenai post=40918034]

With this disastrous news, get ready for tomorrow's story by Buhari and his goons on Goodluck Jonathan's $980bn loot, all in a desperate attempt to deflect attention from our current economic woes and keep their gullible supporters distracted on frivolities and nonsensical white lies.

If we didn't have a voting public so intellectually vapid, the focus would have been on asking our dear mallam to adequately elucidate on how he so miraculously "Cut down Nigeria's Inflation from 20 percent to 0 percent" as his campaign team so falsely bellowed.
A few minutes of investigation and fact-checking would have made it clear to anyone that the story was nothing but a blatant lie.
When you claim to be an honest man, but your campaign promises are filled to the brim with unintelligent lies and slogans, it's time for some soul searching.

What's even worse is the fact that this man fought tooth and nail for the presidency for 12 years. 12 SOLID YEARS!
He finally gets there and is as visionless and lost as ever, promising to hit the ground running but taking 6 months to build a cabinet; with his mouth in hyperdrive and his brain in suspended animation.

All dis one na story.who created dis issues in d first place?whoever bicos of hate politics is blaming Buhari is just being ignorant of the simple truth as written in d Bible.dollar depreciation started way before d elections and also dis all all time low fuel scarcity was rubbed in our face by Goodluck and friends.wen he left office,did dis issues went wit him?ordinarily, i hate d Hausa's ruling over me but next time your blame shud be on Goodluck di worst president d world has ever seen.even Bayelsans chat up his lack of foresight every day.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by agabaI23(m): 7:03am On Dec 12, 2015
Say changi...
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Awoofawo(m): 7:09am On Dec 12, 2015
Kenai:

cc: Lalasticlala, Dominique, Ishilove, Firefire, AgabaI23, Atlwireles, WhiteTechnology, Whynotthetruth, Beremx, sunnyb0b0, Anonimi, MizMyColi, Ola6, Chukwudi44, NgeneUkwenu, Midolian, Modath, OrlandoOwoh, Jarus, Owobokiri, Owobikiri, AnambraDota, Rozayx5, Mogidi, TonyeBarcanista, Ecoterrors, Rawtruth, Onenaira3, Dabullit
Weak currency is not necessarily a sign of weak economy, lots of factors go into determining economy prosperity of nation!!!

Kindly stop all this acting of stupidity sir!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 7:11am On Dec 12, 2015
/
This is how this will affect you factoring in the inflation that will follow suit:

Salary: N200k was equivalent to $1333 but now $769/month.

Salary: N100k was equivalent to $667 but now $385/month.

And for some of you barely hanging on--
Salary: N50k was equivalent to $333 but now $192/month.

So when importers factor in the variations in exchange rates and set their prices accordingly, you will be screwed big time. A used car that would cost $5000 @N150/$ == (N750k) becomes N1.3m at the current exchange rate.

Whether you support Buhari or you are one of those shouting "witch hunt" at every turn, the inflation around the corner will not discriminate. So keep entertaining yourselves.
/

4 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Infinitikoncept(m): 7:12am On Dec 12, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
So?...who exchange don help apart from yahoo boys?...
I guess you shouldn't be on public forums. I'm sure you must have been awarded super F9 in economics as well. Ask orunmila the question who exchange rate don help. Mtcheeew

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Infinitikoncept(m): 7:14am On Dec 12, 2015
Papertrail11:
if yu wanna make dollar reduce and help the economy cancel that nonsense called bureau the changi simple......

banks are selln for 199 yu guys are selln for 260 una dey crasee..... every normal person who needs dollar ought to go the bank and easily get it but yu guys create some kind of artificial increase nd help fiance money laundering....and stuff.....if normal pple went to bank an bureau the changi is cancelled pple who do not necessarily need it wont rush to buy it......I dont know if sm1 is feeln me here just d way I see it
Which of the banks in your village they sell for #199?
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by nwannaeto: 7:14am On Dec 12, 2015
MrPresident1:
God bless Nigeria.
did God curse Nigeria before?
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by babyfaceafrica: 7:14am On Dec 12, 2015
Infinitikoncept:

I guess you shouldn't be on public forums. I'm sure you must have been awarded super F9 in economics as well. Ask orunmila the question who exchange rate don help. Mtcheeew
kpelle....I can se you are pained...I don ask Ifa sef..olokun a soro dayo said make I no mind you...that your babe just leave you...kpelle sogbo

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by HzRF(m): 7:16am On Dec 12, 2015
TimeManager:
@HzRF, Which Goverment Allowed 90% Of Imports? Was It Not APC That Banned Some Lists Of Products We Could Locally Produce Including A Partial Ban On Rice. Pdp Turned Nigeria Into A Dumping Ground. Change Is Here.
The Truth Has Spoken!

http://thenationonlineng.net/importers-traders-laud-govt-for-lifting-ban-on-rice/

Always get ur fact right
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by ichommy(m): 7:17am On Dec 12, 2015
grin
Cutehector:
A round of applause cheesy
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by danbrowndmf(m): 7:17am On Dec 12, 2015
MizMyColi:
Well,

Sai Baba
Sai Buhari
undecided

I hope the broom wavers and sai chanters feel a measure of relief at this news.

One wonders if it'll take eternity for the Buhari Led FG to start delivering dividends of good governance to the Nigerian people.
mir can we sometimes see beyound party & just say things as they are. APC may not be the right team but please PDP did absolute nothing for the past 16years...the last government is the worst..they milk this country like we are cow...you cannot start judging 7months with 6years...why don't you commend this government on how they'v been trying to recover funds from Dasuki & his thief crew...sometimes let say things as they are & forget about party sentiment...i initially luv GEJ but his perfomances was way below par... If APC fail after 4years Labour congress should come & rule ous..we are never going back to PDP unless there is a reasonable candidate there...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by zikmarty: 7:18am On Dec 12, 2015
Jesus Christ of warri.

warris dis
this man will soon sell us in our own father's house.
I don't nd will never blame whatever political party in power but f
the stupid myopic senseless babies ranting on social media that think they know so much.

Gmb had better work on this naira-dollar ish int'l students,traders etc have suffered too much in such a short period of time.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Infinitikoncept(m): 7:18am On Dec 12, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
kpelle....I can se you are pained...I don ask Ifa sef..olokun a soro dayo said make I no mind you...that your babe just leave you...kpelle sogbo
Lols your IFA must be using 5G LTE oooo. But seriously you asked a question that makes me feel like getting a padlock for your fingers. D dollar dey affect business which will in turn affect price of commodities imported. Coupled with PMS war then made in Nigeria items sef will enjoy the breeze
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Myde4naija(m): 7:21am On Dec 12, 2015
nattyGENT:
Do you see?
CHANGE!

From
G-OOD=Goodluck
to
B-AD=Buhari
NIGERIANS SHINE UNA EYES, STAND UP AGAINST NEGATIVE CHANGE, SAY NO TO LIE LIE APC- Alliance for Poverty Congress
political fools, to analyse simple issue you kept chanting rubbish you need to grow up.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Infinitikoncept(m): 7:22am On Dec 12, 2015
danbrowndmf:
mir can we sometimes see beyound part & just say things as they are. APC may not be the right team but please PDP did absolute nothing for the past 16years...the last government is the worst..they milk this country like we are cow...you cannot start judging 7months with 6years...why don't you commend this government on how they'v been trying to recover funds from Dasuki & his thief crew...sometimes let say things as they are & forget about party sentiment...i initially luv GEJ but his perfomances was way below par... If APC fail after 4years Labour congress come & rule ous..we are never going back to PDP unless there is a reasonable candidate there...
The same way they recovered it from audu,slyva,amaechi. Alison case is growing stale by the day you are here happy for corruption fight in mirage. If gej started with 170-180 and left it at #210 in five years. You want me to applaud PMB that took it from 210-252 in seven months abi

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by zikmarty: 7:22am On Dec 12, 2015
danbrowndmf:
mir can we sometimes see beyound part & just say things as they are. APC may not be the right team but please PDP did absolute nothing for the past 16years...the last government is the worst..they milk this country like we are cow...you cannot start judging 7months with 6years...why don't you commend this government on how they'v been trying to recover funds from Dasuki & his thief crew...sometimes let say things as they are & forget about party sentiment...i initially luv GEJ but his perfomances was way below par... If APC fail after 4years Labour congress come & rule ous..we are never going back to PDP unless there is a reasonable candidate there...

even when pdp did nothing as you said,they didn't go about crushing the little bits of our ship still above water.
They tried to keep us floating so we had hopes of being rescued sometime soon but what apc is doing is dragging us to the belly of the ocean,no hope of survival,no rescue in sight, nothing but death.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Amack(m): 7:23am On Dec 12, 2015
rozayx5:
lalasticlala

please frontpage

boooohari and his goons willl bring up another dasuki tale tomorrow to keep us distracted from the collapsing economy

people are sufferng while boooohari is attendi burial in cotonou undecided
. Buhari is not a honest man. He is a born propagandist. If truly he want to fight corruption not propaganda as we are seeing today, he should start from 1999 THAT is from the birth of democracy in Nigeria. He should probe OBJ's 15.5 billion power scandal and also$182 Halliburton Bribe ... which involve OBJ Atiku Guraba and many others. I believe This Administration will recover over 30 billion dollar's from OBJ regime because that's when we have what is called Rape of democracy or have we all forgotten so soon? .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by TopHand: 7:24am On Dec 12, 2015
mployer:

Lol, I am no prof bro smiley

The problem is that the cbn cannot sustain the 199 rate due to the decline in our forex earning. If they sell to everybody at that rate, our foreign reserve will burn out. So they have to hoard the dollar and come up with different policies that will limit peoples access to dollar. The more they do that, the more the black market price increase. On the economics of supply and demand, the black market price represents the real price.

The cbn has no choice than devalue the naira to the black market price, so that whomever that wants and can afford the dollar will have an easy access to it. This will bring stability and confidence to the economy.
But they won't do it because they are afraid most Nigerians including the government itself won't understand why they have to.

I agree with u we r in a difficult position we only hav $29 billion in our vaults and if this is opened up to the public in a country that imports even toothbrush that money will be finished in a year, while the govt can devalue the Naria further it can not totally abandon it to market forces becos speculators and hoarders will completely rubbish the currency, I believe the govt is going to change the currency in order to take stock of how much Naria is in circulation thereby control its quantity and control price inflation, I also believe the govt will remove fuel subsidy thereby encouraging competitive supply in the sector this will also allow the govt to increase the amount of its foreign reserves, there r other things the govt can do like reducing business tax on small investment, helping and assisting companies in local product research and development instead of our agencies shutting down and fining small local producers of alternative products they should work with them to bring their products up to standard, also massive and immediate investment in electricity which is the backbone of production this should also cover LPG production lastly Nigeria needs at least one functioning modern refinery to cater for its domestic market

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by babyfaceafrica: 7:25am On Dec 12, 2015
Infinitikoncept:

Lols your IFA must be using 5G LTE oooo. But seriously you asked a question that makes me feel like getting a padlock for your fingers. D dollar dey affect business which will in turn affect price of commodities imported. Coupled with PMS war then made in Nigeria items sef will enjoy the breeze
for now...nuthing hav increasd apart from fuel price,garri,rice ,meat and pure water is still d same...so when will it start affcting?
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by danbrowndmf(m): 7:26am On Dec 12, 2015
zikmarty:

even when pdp did nothing as you said,they didn't go about crushing the little bits of our ship still above water.
They tried to keep us floating so we had hopes of being rescued sometime soon but what apc is doing is dragging us to the belly of the ocean,no hope of survival,no rescue in sight, nothing but death.
am not applauding this government but please PDP is not better.don't even say it. Thank you sir!

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Haishophem(m): 7:27am On Dec 12, 2015
Papertrail11:
if yu wanna make dollar reduce and help the economy cancel that nonsense called bureau the changi simple......

banks are selln for 199 yu guys are selln for 260 una dey crasee..... every normal person who needs dollar ought to go the bank and easily get it but yu guys create some kind of artificial increase nd help fiance money laundering....and stuff.....if normal pple went to bank an bureau the changi is cancelled pple who do not necessarily need it wont rush to buy it......I dont know if sm1 is feeln me here just d way I see it

Can you tell me any bank that's selling dollar to the public as at today...I need to buy some. Cos the last time I checked, banks doesn't sell dollar any more neither do they accept dollar deposit.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by danbrowndmf(m): 7:27am On Dec 12, 2015
Infinitikoncept:

The same way they recovered it from audu,slyva,amaechi. Alison case is growing stale by the day you are here happy for corruption fight in mirage. If gej started with 170-180 and left it at #210 in five years. You want me to applaud PMB that took it from 210-252 in seven months abi
Whats your point exactly? We should applaud PDP?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

See The Man I Saw Using POS Machine Selling His Gurasa Suya In Birnin kebbi / Bill Gates Joins Instagram From Tanzania (Photos) / Obi Cubana Hosts His Classmates At DMGS Onitsha In His Anambra Home (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.