Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,705 members, 7,809,684 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die (17836 Views)

Oba Charles Ibitoye Is Dead (Olomu Of Omu-Aran) / 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 12, 2015
• Corpses thrown into evil forest to avoid reincarnation

• What bereaved families do

• Corpses of suicide, drowning, accident victims dumped in bush

Corpses are supposed to be buried after death. That is the norm. But not so at Olomu Kingdom in Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State. Here, not all corpses are buried, according to their cultures and tradition. Pregnant women who die with pregnancy or during childbirth are not buried, instead their corpses are thrown into the evil forest near Akperhe-Olomu Community within the kingdom.
His Royal Majesty, Ovie Richard L. Ogbon Ogoni-Oghoro I, JP, the Ohworode of Olomu.

It is a taboo for a woman to die with pregnancy as it is their belief that if given proper burial, the dead woman will reincarnate, hence the people do everything to prevent her reincarnation.

“Deaths from such circumstances are classified as bad deaths and such corpses are not given proper burial by not being buried in the town”, says His Royal Majesty, Ovie Richard L. Ogbon, Ogoni-Oghoro I, JP, the Ohworode of Olomu, who is also the oldest person (Okpako-Orere) of Ogoni-Olomu.

The traditional ruler explains further that such deaths are taken that way because of their belief in the reincarnation of women who died from such circumstances. “It is our belief that women who died in such manners, if buried in town or specifically at home, will reincarnate.

In the times of old, there were cases where new-born babies had marks of women who had died from such deaths. This is why we don’t bury them at home to avoid reincarnation.”

In addition to dead pregnant women, the traditional ruler adds that “when someone in a family have mental illness, epilepsy or other disease that are genetical in the family, if such a person is not treated properly or cured and he or she dies with such infirmities, it is also our belief that such people reincarnate by being born as children, and it is usually shameful to the family.” Such practices, he adds, are also applicable to people who died by suicide, in accidents, or from drowning.

Interestingly, those who die in such circumstances are buried in the bush as there are no designated places for such people in Olomu Kingdom, except the women who died with pregnancies, whose corpses are taken to the evil forest, according to the traditional ruler.

Decline in belief, practice

The advent of Christianity has led to trampling upon many native cultures and tradition. Therefore, certain Olomu practices of old which were revered and complied with have been compromised with increasing Western culture through education. According to Ogoni-Oghoro I, though certain cultural practices are still being observed despite increasing acceptance of Christian religion, especially the non-burial of corpses of such deaths inside town, these practices are declining as many people no longer hold such traditional beliefs.

The two factors he believes affected such beliefs are Western education and Christianity. People now insist that such practices are not obtainable again, so they have rebelled against the practices. He says: “Some families, when they lose a pregnant woman, they immediately carry out surgery to remove the foetus so they can bring her home for proper burial. This is the very wrong practice that is going on now.

The late woman and her foetus are supposed to go to the evil forest. The Church has affected many practices. For instance, many who used to carry out such traditional functions like taking the corpses to the evil forest, have now become Christians and you can’t get people to perform such traditional rites anymore.”

He speaks further: “Many practices have been jettisoned today. People no longer forbid things. When such abominable deaths occur in families today, out of shame for people not to hear that a taboo has occurred in their family, people no longer adhere to the tradition of burying such in the evil forest or bush. They now blatantly bring such dead into town and bury. This wasn’t so in those days.”

Cleansing the land

He believes some of these disregards for cultures and tradition could pollute a community. “The dumping of pregnant women’s corpses at the evil forest or those of other similar deaths at the bush is not the end. The family and the entire community is deemed to be polluted by such deaths and certain cleansing activities are undertaken for seven days till a total purification and warding off of such spirits are attained.”

He explains that there is a certain group among the traditionalists whose responsibility is to take such corpses to the evil forest or bush. When such deaths occur, the traditionalists will be notified and they will come at night to take such corpses away. They are not to be seen by anyone as they sing horrifying songs and incantations. No one comes out as it is a taboo to see them while they perform the rituals which last for seven days.

“They will stay in the compounds of such families for seven days and seven nights, nullifying the powers that led to such death and generally cleanse the families with various rituals.” The 98-year-old traditional ruler clarifies that presently at Olomu, if a woman dies with pregnancy, the community will not allow her to be buried in the community unless the circumstances of the death is hidden from the community.

“But such a behaviour usually has its consequences”, he says, and adds: “And non-Christians will not tolerate such a person to be buried in the community because it pollutes the community.” The difference between those that committed suicide, died in accidents, or from drowning, and those who died with pregnancies is that the pregnant dead are taken to the evil forest with no proper burial ceremonies, while the others are buried in the bush.

But after three years, their relatives can celebrate their remembrance with certain rites, which is not so with women who died with pregnancies. The remembrance is done for the others because proper burial rites were not done earlier due to the circumstances of their deaths. The remembrance is what gives them the sense of fulfillment that they properly buried their departed loved ones, though it cannot take away the shame of the death

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/olomu-where-its-taboo-for-pregnant-woman-to-die-2/

cc lalasticlala
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by INTROVERT(f): 8:01am On Dec 12, 2015
really

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by agarawu23(m): 8:03am On Dec 12, 2015
shocked
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 12, 2015
INTROVERT:
really

Dual personality can be exhausting... Welcome back..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by fammo: 8:15am On Dec 12, 2015
Imagine tradition abeg??
Later someone will say let's be proud of our African culture, yet this is a culture that ridicules d corpse of a woman who went thru d stress and pain of carrying a child for 9 months and who probably due to some careless midwifery technique or lack of proper health care dies during childbirth. I can just imagine all the items that will be required by the so-called cleansing. Feeding them for seven days in your house after just loosing a wife and child. People benefitting from such tradition can go as far as killing a pregnant woman so that their business can move and I bet you they'll do anything to justify this insane act and prevent it's abolition by all cost.
The most apalling part of the whole thing for me is when the chief said they'll do everything to avoid the re-incarnation of the woman, how about doing everything to ensure she doesn't die, that way you won't have to bother about re-incarnation...nah dat'll be bad business for the cleansing team, no more seven days lounging and feasting at the expense of a bereaved family.
Rubbish!

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 8:18am On Dec 12, 2015
fammo:
Imagine tradition abeg??
Later someone will say let's be proud of our African culture, yet this is a culture that ridicules d corpse of a woman who went thru d stress and pain of carrying a child for 9 months and who probably due to some careless midwifery technique or lack of proper health care dies during childbirth. I can just imagine all the items that will be required by the so-called cleansing. Feeding them for seven days in your house after just loosing a wife and child. People benefitting from such tradition can go as far as killing a pregnant woman so that their business can move and I bet you they'll do anything to justify this insane act and prevent it's abolition by all cost.
The most apalling part of the whole thing for me is when the chief said they'll do everything to avoid the re-incarnation of the woman, how about doing everything to ensure she doesn't die, that way you won't have to bother about re-incarnation...nah dat'll be bad business for the cleansing team, no more seven days lounging and feasting at the expense of a bereaved family.
Rubbish!

Some African culture are just appalling..
Nevertheless, they are our culture angry

1 Like

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by INTROVERT(f): 8:22am On Dec 12, 2015
Freemanan:

Dual personality can be exhausting... Welcome back..

like many of your friends, educated but illiterate. tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 12, 2015
INTROVERT:

like many of your friends, educated but illiterate. tongue

Lol. Sorry love... If I am an illiterate, you won't understand me. Or are you telling me you are also an.....

And have you been stalking me to know my friends
Hmmm. All these shemalles...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by INTROVERT(f): 8:37am On Dec 12, 2015
Freemanan:

Lol. Sorry love... If I am an illiterate, you won't understand me. Or are you telling me you are also an.....

And have you been stalking me to know my friends
Hmmm. All these shemalles...

I made a comment on your topic and the next thing is for you to throw me shade this early morning. If they sent you to me, just go back to the evil forest and tell your fellow he-goats that you didn't see me
Rubbish angry angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by fammo: 8:42am On Dec 12, 2015
Freemanan:

Some African culture are just appalling..
Nevertheless, they are our culture angry
I choose not to go by those cultures, someone came up with those cultures due to his understanding of times and seasons, we can also come up with ours, a culture that is pro-life, healthy, respects one another, morally rich and has all the needed elements of Humanity, we can adopt that and call it culture not some laws consulted by some greedy old folk to benefit his family line in the name of cleansing team!

4 Likes

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 12, 2015
INTROVERT:

I made a comment on your topic and the next thing is for you to throw me shade this early morning. If they sent you to me, just go back to the evil forest and tell your fellow he-goats that you didn't see me
Rubbish angry angry angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 12, 2015
fammo:

I choose not to go by those cultures. someone came up with those cultures due to his understanding of times and seasons, we can also come up with ours, a culture that is pro-life, healthy, respects one another, morally rich and has all the needed elements of Humanity, we can adopt that and call it culture not some laws consulted by some greedy old folk to benefit his family line in the name of cleansing team!

Exactly....

These culture must be modified... Education will help and reorientation...
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by GentleYoung(m): 12:03pm On Dec 12, 2015
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by ChappyChase: 12:04pm On Dec 12, 2015
Na wah oo..
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 12, 2015
This is one of the reasons Africa is nt developed up till now
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Pavore9: 12:04pm On Dec 12, 2015
Glad many have turned their back on such inhumanity, did the pregnant woman choose to die?

1 Like

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 12, 2015
Introvert and freemanan una smoke weed dis afternoon sad

Their culture...tradition dikwa so archaically arcane.

3 Likes

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 12, 2015
Nawa
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by RealAdewole(m): 12:05pm On Dec 12, 2015
d
iyke926:
Introvert and freemanan una smoke weed dis afternoon sad
Their culture...tradition dikwa so arcane.
no b ordinary weed but strong original osogbo weed plus Alomo bitters
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Gossip24(m): 12:05pm On Dec 12, 2015
ACTIVATE YOUR SIM FOR FREE BROWSING FOR COMPLETE ONE YEAR
VISIT http://generalgurus.com NOW TO LEARN HOW TO DO URS
Things of the dark....
BTW.. I miss that introvert ...
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by systemz(m): 12:06pm On Dec 12, 2015
Who read it?
Please summarize for me.
Thanks.
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by rolexsms(m): 12:06pm On Dec 12, 2015
Nice

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by onosprince(m): 12:06pm On Dec 12, 2015
Some people here need to be thrown into that evil forest to avoid reading foolish comments...
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by colossus2: 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2015
INTROVERT:
really
Topic posted at 8am.
Within 60 seconds you don read am finish.
I hail you cheesy
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by labakeJ(f): 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2015
Whoa lipsrsealed
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by HarrySmile1: 12:08pm On Dec 12, 2015
Ok
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by missKiffy(f): 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2015
This is barbaric abeg, nobody prays for a pregnant woman to die but if such unfortunately happens, pay her the last respect by burying her, not after everytin she must have gone tru and then throwing her body in the forest

1 Like

Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by bobchigar(m): 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2015
Really! Pictures of the forest pls
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by lonelydora: 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2015
How many times are we gonna read this?
Re: Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2015
introvert and freemann nawa for una cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka / Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria, The Fulanis (fulbe) Or The Igbos? / ‘akatakpa’ Masquerades Banned In Enugu Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.