Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,728 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Jesus Final Word - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Final Word (532 Views)

Jesus' Final Response To The Exaltation Of His Mother / A Final Word To Femi Fani-kayode And Others On Child Marriage. / The Final Word Folks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Final Word by iliyande(m): 8:09am On Dec 13, 2015
Jesus Final Word (Luke 23:46)

"Jesus called out with a loud voice, 'Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.' When he had said this, he breathed his last." (Luke 23:46)

These words are from a Psalm written by David:

"Into your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth." (Psalm 31:5)

They are part of an evening prayer used daily by devout Jews.60

Notice the loud voice -- scarcely what one would expect from a man about to die. But Jesus seems determined that his final words be heard. His words are firm and confident. Let's examine three aspects of this Seventh Word.

1. A Word of Intimacy

First, Jesus speaks to God with intimacy. His time of desolation expressed by the Fourth Word is past. He prays to the Father as he has done throughout his ministry. For Jesus, death is no out-of-control enemy. No matter how bleak the moment, he knows his Father is present with him -- now present to receive his spirit.

2. A Word of Trust

Second, Jesus entrusts himself to his Father. In Psalm 31:5 the word "commit" is the Hebrew verb pāqad. In our verse it occurs in the Hiphil stem, with the meaning "commit, entrust."61 The corresponding Greek verb is paratithēmi, meaning, "to entrust to someone for safekeeping, give over, entrust, commend," particularly, "to entrust someone to the care and protection of someone."62 As he lets go of this life, Jesus trusts his eternal destiny to the Father's everlasting arms.

3. A Word of Surrender

Finally, Jesus speaks a word of surrender. He gives up his human life to his Father who gave it to him 33 years before. The word "spirit" is the common word pneuma, "breathing, breath of life." It can refer to the Holy Spirit, but here refers to the personal spirit of Jesus, part of the human personality (Hebrews 4:12; 1 Thessalonians 5:23).63

Jesus prays his final prayer with this kind of equanimity and peace because he knows the Father, and knows that there is life with the Father beyond death. As a devout Jew he has prayed these words as part of an evening prayer all his life. Now at the end of his life he prays them one last time -- and lets go of human life64 in order to embrace the Life that the Father has to offer in his own presence.

We pray, with Jesus, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"

Prayer

Father, when it comes time for us to let go of this life, help us do it with the same kind of faith and confidence that we see in Jesus. We love you, Lord. Thank you for our salvation and eternal life. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Jesus Final Word by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 13, 2015
hmmmmm

(1) (Reply)

Tk103 Vehicle Tracker @ N14,000 / Why Do People Seems To Be Very Spiritual And Religious Only On Sunday / C

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.