Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil (7148 Views)

How Do I Restart My Battle Over The Use Of Prostitutes After Series Of Relapse? / What Is The Use Of The 7 Books Of Moses / What Is The Use Of Fasting,when God still Answer prayers with Full Stomach? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 13, 2015
I visited my parents recently and went to kitchen to make myself some indomie and fried egg only to discover that the cooking oil was finished after already breaking my eggs, so I went to their room and grabbed one out of the almost 20 bottles of 'anointing oil' to use only for them to object, even after I pointed out that the bottle actually says 'cooking oil'.

Nigerians seem to have fallen into the scam of believing that olive oil contains some heavenly ingredient that makes it blessed. I find that funny because the stuff that gets imported into the country is not even olive oil grin. Today in church, the pastor asked us to raise our bottles of oil and when i looked at the sheer crowd of lifted bottles, all I could think of was 'Damn! the importers of Goya oil are making a killing'.

So here is my advice;
Stop wasting your money buying that tiny bottle of oil at #200 when 1 liter of groundnut oil sells for the same in the market (or even coconut oil, soya oil, turkey oil etc. grin grin grin). simply pour a little of your regular cooking oil into a portable bottle and go ahead with your anointing wink wink

Better still, why not use some of your baby oil or body oils so that you can be both anointed and sweet-smelling kiss kiss kiss

Happy Sunday People

CC Lalasticlala

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by RoyalBlak007: 11:34am On Dec 13, 2015
grin grin grin grin
True...
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by kevoh(m): 11:50am On Dec 13, 2015
Goya Oil manufacturers and importers making that cash like there's no tomorrow grin grin, as long as Christian ignorance about Goya Oil thrives tongue .

1 Like

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by Advans(m): 11:58am On Dec 13, 2015
Nigerians and ignorance. I can't stop laughing jare

1 Like

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by omakay(m): 4:20pm On Dec 13, 2015
There was a time at the redemption camp when oil was being sold to people in litres.

From 5litres to 30litres and even more.

ohhhh...

And lets not forget about the WHITE HANKERCHIEF industry.

Those ones sef don hammer big tyme....

"buy your annointed hankeyyy", "buy your annointed hankeyyy"

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 13, 2015
omakay:
There was a time at the redemption camp when oil was being sold to people in litres.

From 5litres to 30litres and even more.

ohhhh...

And lets not forget about the WHITE HANKERCHIEF industry.

Those ones sef don hammer big tyme....

"buy your annointed hankeyyy", "buy your annointed hankeyyy"

grin grin
I know right?? grin the ones in my parents' room all had hankies taped to them with masking tape. Each tape had descriptions written on them like 'judgement oil', 'preservation', 'healing', etc. I just smh at our gullibility

1 Like

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 4:49pm On Dec 13, 2015
bestestgirl:
I know right?? grin the ones in my parents' room all had hankies taped to them with masking tape. Each tape had descriptions written on them like 'judgement oil', 'preservation', 'healing', etc. I just smh at our gullibility

There is one woman of God and evangelist I have known for over 2 decades. God led her to use oil. She'd pray for the sick and for those representing the sick she'd give them oil to go and anoint the sick and they would get healed.

One lady who had nightmares used to sleep with the oil under her pillow. She confessed this to the evangelist and ever since that time she stopped using it.

It is very easy to idolize what we can see hence the warning against graven images. I'd say from your description that your parents are doing this.

Let's stop making idols out of hydrocarbons
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by omakay(m): 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2015
vooks:

There is one woman of God and evangelist I have known for over 2 decades. God led her to use oil. She'd pray for the sick and for those representing the sick she'd give them oil to go and anoint the sick and they would get healed.

One lady who had nightmares used to sleep with the oil under her pillow. She confessed this to the evangelist and ever since that time she stopped using it.

It is very easy to idolize what we can see hence the warning against graven images. I'd say from your description that your parents are doing this.

The problem is not even with the oil and the hankeys.

The problem is with the Christians who are idolizing these items.

Its quite funny but most of them do carry this scary belief that once a Man of God does not above items as part of his ministrations, he is not a true M.O.G.
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 7:29pm On Dec 13, 2015
omakay:

Its quite funny but most of them do carry this scary belief that once a Man of God does not above items as part of his ministrations, he is not a true M.O.G.

The highlighted

Kings 18:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brasen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan.

You can see the Israelites were no exceptional
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by MuttleyLaff: 7:33pm On Dec 13, 2015
vooks:
There is one woman of God and evangelist I have known for over 2 decades.
God led her to use oil. She'd pray for the sick and for those representing the sick
she'd give them oil to go and anoint the sick and they would get healed
Placebo effect and also otherwise known as the placebo response

vooks:
One lady who had nightmares used to sleep with the oil under her pillow.
She confessed this to the evangelist and ever since that time she stopped using it.
All that glitters is not gold

vooks:
It is very easy to idolize what we can see hence the warning against graven images.
I'd say from your description that your parents are doing this.

Languishing and perpetuating ignorance. They are miseducated and preyed upon
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 7:41pm On Dec 13, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Placebo effect and also otherwise known as the placebo response

All that glitters is not gold

Languishing and perpetuating ignorance. They are miseducated and preyed upon

Did Jesus and the Apostles employ placebo?
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by MuttleyLaff: 7:45pm On Dec 13, 2015
vooks:
Did Jesus and the Apostles employ placebo?
I was just addressing this question in responding to omakay
I dont think the former did,
but the latter to some extent surely did advocate and use the pacebo effect
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by tdcministry: 7:46pm On Dec 13, 2015
The people of God, sons and daughters of Jesus, the righteous ones, those who adhere strictly to the teachings of Jesus christ. Why hast thou lack in some crucial facets of life excluding the spiritual facet? It is the believe of many Christians that the process of attaining success in marriage, career, academic and social life is by sticking to God. The human part in the role of success has been neglected by many Christians. In the career world, many Christians don't seek to acquire more knowledge and skills in order to be promoted , the church has been viewed as a centre where all protocols and processes are ruled out and miraculous promotions are procured. The house of God have been portrayed as a mechanism of heuristics towards the attainment of success in any facet of life. However, some sect of believers affirm that "Heaven help those who help themselves" they believe God and man have a role to play in the success story of mankind; it is their believe that the right things needs to be done and the required process and protocols needs to be followed. To the critics of the believe that "heaven help those who help themselves" the Christians who tries to follow the lay down processes and principles  of attaining success are often regarded to as Christians who believe in their own strength and wisdom. To vindicate their criticism they often cite the saying that "our God breaks all protocols"...without mincing, what's your take on this issue? .......comment and throw more light to the issue on Ground....http://oluwaseyikelvin.mywapblog.com/moment-of-expression-with-oluwaseyi-kelv.xhtml
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by MuttleyLaff: 7:55pm On Dec 13, 2015
omakay:

Its quite funny
but most of them do carry this scary belief that once a Man of God does not above items as part of his ministrations, he is not a true M.O.G.
What the Apostles subscribed was to call for the elders of the church;
and let them pray over whom concerned, anointing whom concerned with oil in the name of the Lord

But obviously, ekklesia as become the ''church''
elders have transformed into head honcho
and the sheeple are preyed upon, skinned and gutted with total disregard of this morally wrong method of lining one's purse
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 7:55pm On Dec 13, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
I was just addressing this question in responding to omakay
I dont think the former did,
but the latter to some extent surely did advocate and use the pacebo effect

The apostle advocated mind games, right?
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by MuttleyLaff: 7:58pm On Dec 13, 2015
vooks:
The apostle advocated mind games, right?
You can call it whatever you like, mind games or whatnot.
At least they didnt make merchandise of the oil

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church;
and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

- James 5:14

And they cast out many demons
and healed many sick people, anointing them with olive oil.

- Mark 6:13

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
You can call it whatever you like, mind games or whatnot.
At least they didnt make merchandise of the oil

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church;
and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

- James 5:14

And they cast out many demons
and healed many sick people, anointing them with olive oil.

- Mark 6:13

Am calling it what you did, placebo which means the healing had nothing to do with Jesus Christ and His name, just belief in whatever was thrown at the sick.

You still stand by this?
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by MuttleyLaff: 8:58pm On Dec 13, 2015
vooks:
Am calling it what you did
Of course you're calling it what I did

vooks:
placebo which means the healing had nothing to do with Jesus Christ and His name, just belief in whatever was thrown at the sick
Placebo effect or placebo response means the healing had nothing to do with the substance taken
(i.e. in this case the oil) but it however will sometimes help in recovery or obtaining healing
because the person has the expectation of healing when/after using the substance

vooks:
You still stand by this?
Without fidgeting, stand by it 110%

You read - James 5:14 saying: ...anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord

God is Jehovah Rapha. God that heals
It is God that heals. Not the tablet, not the medication, not the doctor, not the oil, not etcetera

It's like saying: I am arresting you in the name of the law.
Just as the law is the authority allowing the rest,
so is God the authority under which healing is given/obtained

The underlying healing power is off and from God, and not off or from the substance

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 9:06pm On Dec 13, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Understood you loud and clear sir.
The skeptics would have you believe that your faith or prayer or even the name Jesus Christ are placebo and I felt you were coming from this angle.

I hold a different opinion on oil;I think it did more than placebo. Oil had a long history in Judaism going back to Moses and from the YHWH Himself. I think after prayers it is potent in and of itself
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by MuttleyLaff: 9:17pm On Dec 13, 2015
vooks:
Understood you loud and clear sir.
The skeptics would have you believe that your faith or prayer or even the name Jesus Christ are placebo
and I felt you were coming from this angle
Oh no. Shudders. Far from that. Quite the opposite

vooks:
I hold a different opinion on oil; I think it did more than placebo
We are talking different dispensations here, and different uses
On one hand, oil used for consecrating individuals with power for service
and on the other hand, oil used for anointing individuals for healing

vooks:
Oil had a long history in Judaism going back to Moses and from the YHWH Himself
Oil was symbol for empowerment,
a symbol used as/for initation for service, for God's work etcetera

Saying it differently, oil was used for anointing in Biblical times, (e.g. Aaron, Saul, David etcetera)

It predated the flames or tongues of fire that symbolised the holy spirit

Remember Jesus told the disciples to wait to be endued with power from on high

"And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised.
But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.
"
- Luke 24:49

vooks:
I think after prayers it is potent in and of itself
Some of us need a helping hand with faith
and that's where the oil as a placebo effect or placebo response comes in
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 4:21am On Dec 14, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Oh no. Shudders. Far from that. Quite the opposite

We are talking different dispensations here, and different uses
On one hand, oil used for consecrating individuals with power for service
and on the other hand, oil used for anointing individuals for healing

Oil was symbol for empowerment,
a symbol used as/for initation for service, for God's work etcetera

Saying it differently, oil was used for anointing in Biblical times, (e.g. Aaron, Saul, David etcetera)

It predated the flames or tongues of fire that symbolised the holy spirit

Remember Jesus told the disciples to wait to be endued with power from on high

"And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised.
But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.
"
- Luke 24:49

Some of us need a helping hand with faith
and that's where the oil as a placebo effect or placebo response comes in

Ok
But storing jars of it is crazy
I once was given a broom, salt and oil. It's embarrassing reminiscing my ignorance
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by Chicagoesontop: 9:09am On Jan 15, 2016
bestestgirl:
I visited my parents recently and went to kitchen to make myself some indomie and fried egg only to discover that the cooking oil was finished after already breaking my eggs, so I went to their room and grabbed one out of the almost 20 bottles of 'anointing oil' to use only for them to object, even after I pointed out that the bottle actually says 'cooking oil'.

Nigerians seem to have fallen into the scam of believing that olive oil contains some heavenly ingredient that makes it blessed. I find that funny because the stuff that gets imported into the country is not even olive oil grin. Today in church, the pastor asked us to raise our bottles of oil and when i looked at the sheer crowd of lifted bottles, all I could think of was 'Damn! the importers of Goya oil are making a killing'.

So here is my advice;
Stop wasting your money buying that tiny bottle of oil at #200 when 1 liter of groundnut oil sells for the same in the market (or even coconut oil, soya oil, turkey oil etc. grin grin grin). simply pour a little of your regular cooking oil into a portable bottle and go ahead with your anointing wink wink

Better still, why not use some of your baby oil or body oils so that you can be both anointed and sweet-smelling kiss kiss kiss

Happy Sunday People

CC Lalasticlala

In a French country i went into a marquee to have a lunch, from my sit i was watching as the lady preparing my food lifted a bottle of what i know to be anointing oil and was about to pour some of the oil in my food from my table i stood up rushed to where she was and shouted at her in French not to put that in my food as it can only be used in my church as anointing oil she was looking at me in amazement till i left the place grin grin On the same platform i attended Shiloh and bought a bottle of oil which Papa Oyedepo blessed without touching it, i sent the oil to my mum in Nigeria without knowing she was booked for an operation for cancer of the breast. It was when i traveled to Nigeria that she was telling me that her operation was due in 4 days time before she received the anointing oil amongst other things i sent to her, according to her she just rubbed the oil on her left breast before going to bed one night only to wake up in the morning and found out that the lump on her left breast has dried out and withing that 4 days she used the oil, by the time she went to Hospital the doctor told her there is nothing to operate that the cancer is gone. SO I STILL BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF ANOINTING OIL IF IT COMES FROM THE RIGHT SOURCE !!!
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 15, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

In a French country i went into a marquee to have a lunch, from my sit i was watching as the lady preparing my food lifted a bottle of what i know to be anointing oil and was about to pour some of the oil in my food from my table i stood up rushed to where she was and shouted at her in French not to put that in my food as it can only be used in my church as anointing oil she was looking at me in amazement till i left the place grin grin On the same platform i attended Shiloh and bought a bottle of oil which Papa Oyedepo blessed without touching it, i sent the oil to my mum in Nigeria without knowing she was booked for an operation for cancer of the breast. It was when i traveled to Nigeria that she was telling me that her operation was due in 4 days time before she received the anointing oil amongst other things i sent to her, according to her she just rubbed the oil on her left breast before going to bed one night only to wake up in the morning and found out that the lump on her left breast has dried out and withing that 4 days she used the oil, by the time she went to Hospital the doctor told her there is nothing to operate that the cancer is gone. SO I STILL BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF ANOINTING OIL IF IT COMES FROM THE RIGHT SOURCE !!!
grin grin grin grin grin I can imagine the chef looking at you and thinking that you must be crazy cheesy As for the power of the anointing, I totally agree that there is power in it. my issue is just with the overpriced tiny quantity of 'olive' oil which we happily buy just because we are used to using olive oils for anointing services. I am advocating the use of any oil at all for anointing oil. personally, my tiny bottle of oil contains cussons baby oil wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by Chicagoesontop: 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2016
bestestgirl:
grin grin grin grin grin I can imagine the chef looking at you and thinking that you must be crazy cheesy As for the power of the anointing, I totally agree that there is power in it. my issue is just with the overpriced tiny quantity of 'olive' oil which we happily buy just because we are used to using olive oils for anointing services. I am advocating the use of any oil at all for anointing oil. personally, my tiny bottle of oil contains cussons baby oil wink wink

The Girl Was Like Tu Est Malade ?? grin grin grin grin You na BaaaDt Girl, and You Say You Be Best Girl !!! You Can Still Venture Into Oil Business And Make Your Own Dough cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by plaetton: 4:56pm On Jan 15, 2016
vooks:

It's so easy the mock the silly things that people do when they have silly beliefs.
Isn't it, Vooks?

The question, Mr Vooks, is ; what exactly is it about religion and faith that renders people stuuuuupid?

Where lies the problem, .the believers of faith-fraud, or that the faith itself is inherently, foundationally, genetically fraudulent ?

3 Likes

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by plaetton: 5:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
vooks:

Ok
But storing jars of it is crazy
I once was given a broom, salt and oil. It's embarrassing reminiscing my ignorance

It's not yet time to reminisce your ignorance, comrade.
That time has yet to come.

Now, back to the topic.

Is it enough to say just that people, Christians are silly for thinking that an industrially manufactured oil has supernatural properties ?

What can't you also go further to question and mock the entire edifice of beliefs that underpin such silly behaviours ?

If you believe that snakes talked, donkeys talked and a Virgin gave birth after being ra.ped by an invisible spirit, then it shouldn't be strange to believe in magic Goya or magic handkerchief.

So, your criticism of Christian religious fraud, though encouraging, still reeks of cognitive dissonance.

2 Likes

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 15, 2016
Can you prove olive oil doesn't heal people? Those who tap into the business of heaven would reap huge rewards. These are kingdom principles.
The Bible says that The Lord hall bless us abundantly. Those people profiting from olive oil, are people not buying it? Did anyone ask you to buy for them? Please, do not try to reason spiritual matters, else you will be confused. God uses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise.

My cousin's brother had cancer of the tongue. Two drops of olive oil and the cancer turned to Can-celled.
A woman I know who had fibroid. She sipped just a little of the annointing oil, and her fibroid turned to Fine Boy.

Pls, don't underestimate the power of the Holy Ghost. Jesus said 'if only, you have faith'.. Some people just need ' faith-enablers'.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by plaetton: 6:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
Can you prove olive oil doesn't heal people? Those who tap into the business of heaven would reap huge rewards. These are kingdom principles.
The Bible says that The Lord hall bless us abundantly. Those people profiting from olive oil, are people not buying it? Did anyone ask you to buy for them? Please, do not try to reason spiritual matters, else you will be confused. God uses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise.

My cousin's brother had cancer of the tongue. Two drops of olive oil and the cancer turned to Can-celled.
A woman I know who had fibroid. She sipped just a little of the annointing oil, and her fibroid turned to Fine Boy.

Pls, don't underestimate the power of the Holy Ghost. Jesus said 'if only, you have faith'.. Some people just need ' faith-enablers'.
Lol.
grin
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 6:50pm On Jan 15, 2016
[size=1pt]
plaetton:

It's not yet time to reminisce your ignorance, comrade.
That time has yet to come.

Now, back to the topic.

Is it enough to say just that people, Christians are silly for thinking that an industrially manufactured oil has supernatural properties ?

What can't you also go further to question and mock the entire edifice of beliefs that underpin such silly behaviours ?

If you believe that snakes talked, donkeys talked and a Virgin gave birth after being ra.ped by an invisible spirit, then it shouldn't be strange to believe in magic Goya or magic handkerchief.

So, your criticism of Christian religious fraud, though encouraging, still reeks of cognitive dissonance.

[/size]
Buffoon,
What has your lone neuron developed ever since you was conceived?
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by plaetton: 6:52pm On Jan 15, 2016
vooks:
[size=1pt][/size]
Buffoon,
What has your lone neuron developed ever since you was conceived?

Haba!

Is that a capitulation ?
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by urahara(m): 8:56pm On Jan 15, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

You are just tooooo funny. Loooooooooooooooooooool
Re: Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil by vooks: 9:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
plaetton:

Haba!

Is that a capitulation ?
I'd sooner commit sepukku than lose a debate with a m0ron cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Five Bible Verses To Strenthen Your Marriage / Bible Study - Galatians... Has The Modern Church Misunderstood? / What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.