Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,816 members, 7,813,695 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… (2556 Views)

Watch 6 Year Old Give Pilots Lecture On Flying Planes From Cockpit / Meet Fatima, A Nigerian Female Engineer Who Works As An Aircraft Mechanic / FG To Buy 20 Aircraft For Aviation College (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 4:00pm On Dec 15, 2015
Before a pilot starts flying, the pilot have to do a pre-flight where the pilot checks the body of the aircraft, the engine oil, fuel level, and the propeller to make sure the previous pilot who flew the aircraft did not have a bird strike (i.e. suicidal birds flying into the engine prop, lol).

There are checks before a pilot starts the aircraft, checks after he/she starts, a radio call to make before the pilot moves the aircraft, checks while moving on the ground, run checks to make sure the engine has enough power, and so much more. There are lots of other checklist a pilot needs to follow to make sure everything is alright.

An aircraft is pressurized meaning no air can go out and no air can come in. Above 7000ft to 8000ft, the air conditioning system must be working well, if not passengers will begin to pass out gradually. The reason is because, there is a certain amount of pressure required for humans to be able to breath and that’s the level of pressure we have on ground.

Oxygen percentage is the same on ground and up there but the difference is in the pressure, the pressure up there is like less than half of what is available on ground, that is why there is not enough pressure to push air inside the body or enough to keep the organs in place. So, the organs tend to expand causing pains to people and possibly deaths depending on how long each person stays after decompression (that is, a reduction in air pressure).

That is why if there is a loss in cabin pressure, the oxygen mask deploys. Now explosive decompression is when a plane flying at its usual 35,000ft and an accident happens, probably a missile blows open a plane (like we see in movies), or the bulkhead aft pressure gives way, or there is a sudden loss of air, or air rushing into the plane through a hole, passengers and cabin crew will lose consciousness very quickly as a result of hypoxia which is a deficiency in the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues.

But if the pilot can handle the situation, he/she has to descend to a breathable altitude, probably 7000ft to enable passengers and cabin crew breath properly, but it might be late then because death at 35,000ft occurs rapidly.

I can see some of the reasons why some people hate flying… Lol. May God save us all…

Diversion: Then how do people survive in Planet, Mars? Do they wear oxygen masks all the time? Hmmm, that’s punishment, I guess. I recall about 100 people were selected early this year out of the 202,586 applicants to go live in Mars forever…

esthersblog-cockpit-aircraft

From this picture I took at the cockpit – There is the airspeed indicator to check and know the speed. The thing on the extreme left, that is the Artificial horizon, its coloured blue on top indicating the sky… If the triangle on it is in that section, then it means you are ascending. The lower part is brown in colour, indicating the Earth… If the triangle on that screen is there, it means you are descending.

On that same indicator panel just slightly to the right is where the present altitude shows too. The indicator that looks green with green lines is the PFD (Primary Flight Display), if I can remember correctly, Lol.

But from the picture, it is showing in the TCAS mode (Traffic Collision Avoidance System). It shows the probity of other aircrafts to the pilot and if that aircraft and any other one on a collision course have the TCAS 2 installed in them, they can by themselves resolve the best action to be taken when there is a risk of collision.

Source: http://esther.ng/interesting-facts-about-an-aircraft-cockpit-more/

www.esther.ng

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Lancier(m): 4:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
Nice write up.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 5:36pm On Dec 15, 2015
Thank you...
Lancier:
Nice write up.
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by toms55(m): 7:05pm On Dec 19, 2015
Lalasticlala, what have you learned today? undecided Ishilove, you need som knowledge too wink

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Ladybfoods: 8:48pm On Dec 19, 2015
very interesting

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Nobody: 10:36pm On Dec 19, 2015
lovely

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Olisa4all: 2:54am On Dec 20, 2015
Impressive Stuff Esther

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Zane2point4(m): 7:42am On Dec 20, 2015
pls front page.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Dominionng(m): 8:03am On Dec 20, 2015
Nice.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 9:56am On Dec 31, 2015
Thank you Ladyb...

Ladybfoods:
very interesting
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 9:56am On Dec 31, 2015
Thank you Irguru...

lrguru:
lovely
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 9:57am On Dec 31, 2015
Thank you Olisa4all...

Olisa4all:
Impressive Stuff Esther

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 9:58am On Dec 31, 2015
Thank you Dominionng... smiley

Dominionng:
Nice.
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Liveair: 10:11am On Dec 31, 2015
I love planes.

Flight Simulators are my best things.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by hrhobi1(m): 10:32am On Dec 31, 2015
Pl
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 3:40pm On Jan 09, 2016
I love planes too and the concept behind flying it

Liveair:
I love planes.

Flight Simulators are my best things.
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Olisa4all: 9:20pm On Jan 09, 2016
Esthersblog:
I love planes too and the concept behind flying it

Try helicopters!
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Redfruit(m): 5:35am On Jan 10, 2016
@Op thank you.......
...But am not allowed to fly my JET myself cry Dad insists my pilot must carry me ooo. Even to fly outside the house to buy Condo* is a problem. So I may not need this grin

Sha I will call my pilot to come and have a look....Airforce1 sad
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by edunwaka(m): 7:38am On Jan 10, 2016
Very good,thanks

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Teextoo(m): 2:53pm On Jan 10, 2016
Please house, I will love to learn how to fly choppers and probably proceed to proper jets; I want to know how to go about it and the cost implications. Thanks in anticipation of your valued suggestions.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by kllinxman(m): 3:50pm On Jan 10, 2016
Tell us abt radar communication... how cme the netwok
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 4:15pm On Jan 11, 2016
Yeah, that's next on my list... wink

Olisa4all:

Try helicopters!
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 4:16pm On Jan 11, 2016
I will try and get back to you on it...

Teextoo:
Please house, I will love to learn how to fly choppers and probably proceed to proper jets; I want to know how to go about it and the cost implications. Thanks in anticipation of your valued suggestions.
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 4:19pm On Jan 11, 2016
I'm not a pilot ooo... Lol. But will ask about it...

kllinxman:
Tell us abt radar communication... how cme the netwok
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Boeing777pilot: 7:07pm On Jan 11, 2016
Lovely article.
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 7:18pm On Jan 11, 2016
Thank you... smiley

Boeing777pilot:
Lovely article.
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Boeing777pilot: 7:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
Esthersblog:
Thank you... smiley

You are most welcome.

I'm available to answer all questions related to aviation.
I'm a commercial pilot.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by samally: 8:07pm On Jan 11, 2016
Tell us abt radar communication... how come the netwok
Boeing777pilot:

You are most welcome.

I'm a commercial pilot.
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Boeing777pilot: 8:21pm On Jan 11, 2016
samally:
Tell us abt radar communication... how come the netwok

In layman's language radar are waves used to track the position of objects in an airspace. Each airport has radar equipment that track aircraft within its airspace and sometimes beyond. So at different points during a flight, each aircraft is monitored via radar. This helps air traffic controllers manage traffic.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Esthersblog(f): 11:20pm On Jan 11, 2016
That's so cool... smiley Someone asked a question about radar communication...

Boeing777pilot:

You are most welcome.

I'm a commercial pilot.
Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by Teextoo(m): 11:28pm On Jan 11, 2016
Thanks, I will really appreciate that.
Esthersblog:
I will try and get back to you on it...

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Flying An Aircraft, Cockpit, & More… by millhouse: 3:08am On Jan 12, 2016
Kul

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Can I Buy A Honda Accord (evil Spirit) With Full Option / Power Bike... Ninja Model Tokunbo Selling @ 490k / Toyota Corolla Sport 2008

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.