Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,432 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? - Investment (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? (122744 Views)

3 Easy Ways To Survive The Present Financial Meltdown In The Nigerian Economy / Beware Of Wonder Banks, CBN Warns / The Meltdown Of The Nigerian Capital Market: Causes And Consequences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by sharkins(m): 9:18am On Oct 21, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I think I agree here. Naija coys are not about what someone can do for them. Some companies want you to beg for job. Sometimes, it is not just worth wasting your time over.

I attended an interview earlier this year at a rival company, against my better judgement actually. Someone told me they already had a candidate, and were just looking to walk through the formalities. Nonetheless I still showed up.
After the whole thing, they were like, do you have any questions for us, and I said this:

'Word on the street says you already have a candidate. If so, why did you invite me, a senior manager and head of department, to come and make up the number? Don't you know I could lose my job for attending this interview? At my level I expected to be head-hunted, not to be called to waste my time talking to you guys. Your internal candidate could never be as good as I am, or else you'd have given him the job already. Please, in case you don't know, this is highly unprofessional, and I'm sure none of you sitting here would take kindly to this if it is done to you.'

Na so dem drop jaw. In fact the HR guy at the interview nearly fell off his seat.

lmao. U gave it to them straight up, a real man not afraid to tell it when it's all played wrong
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 10:11am On Oct 21, 2010
Tolulop001:

*loading*

but seriously were u still hoping to get the job after this?lolol

or u already knew it was a lost cause?

cause there was still a chance that the 'word on the street' was false cheesy and the interview was for real

Word on the street was confirmed. At my level, my sources are usually impeccable.
I wasn't hoping for anything. That's generally my problem. I don't hope for anything. I try to work towards what I want. And I am usually very clear about that. Of course you need some lucky breaks, but that is where our mentality is seared in Nigeria. We think everything is luck, and you have to beg. I don't do begging, not anymore. I would rather go and sell bread.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by sharkins(m): 10:27am On Oct 21, 2010
Well said! Which brings me back to my previous request, ayone got links in Vetiva?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 10:30am On Oct 21, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Word on the street was confirmed. At my level, my sources are usually impeccable.
I wasn't hoping for anything. That's generally my problem. I don't hope for anything. I try to work towards what I want. And I am usually very clear about that. Of course you need some lucky breaks, but that is where our mentality is seared in Nigeria. We think everything is luck, and you have to beg. I don't do begging, not anymore. I would rather go and sell bread.
Thats the only Oga i have on NL

i hope u never vex for me oh as per our convo. My hustling nowadays is raised to d power of 5

how ur side?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 10:31am On Oct 21, 2010
sharkins:

Well said! Which brings me back to my previous request, ayone got links in Vetiva?
Jarus worked with Vetiva

ask him
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by sharkins(m): 11:04am On Oct 21, 2010
tkb417:

Jarus worked with Vetiva

ask him

Thanks for the heads up. Will do
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Sagamite(m): 11:26am On Oct 21, 2010
Tolulop001:

*loading*

but seriously were u still hoping to get the job after this?lolol

or u already knew it was a lost cause?

cause there was still a chance that the 'word on the street' was false cheesy and the interview was for real

If it is even false but they do not have the balls to hire someone that can tell it to them that straight and has already done well at the interview, they can go to hell.

If I was CEO, I will tell them to call security and not let him leave the building until he signs the employment contract.

AjanleKoko:

Wa she're!!!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mrjingles(m): 11:33am On Oct 21, 2010
People need to leave the "abeg sir" mentality (I always believe professionals dont beg). A friend went for an interview and he turned the table on them, he told them straight up the position he wants and if its not possible then no need for the conversation to continue! Dem begin look the guy like cinema.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Sagamite(m): 11:49am On Oct 21, 2010
mrjingles:

People need to leave the "abeg sir" mentality (I always believe professionals dont beg).

Thank you, na true.

This is why I don't think I would last a month in a job with a Naija firm.

They will call soldiers to come and carry me comot for the premises and put me on a plane back to London say dem don tire.

Na 4 Go-no-come Yaro Yaro go carry me with my leg not touching the floor with me blowing grammar with my Queen's accent that "This is outrageous! You guys are like bats in the belfry! Put me down, gentlemen. I demand it. Show some veneration for my rank. You have no jurisdiction to do this. I know my rights!"
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 11:55am On Oct 21, 2010
Sagamite:

Thank you, na true.

This is why I don't think I would last a month in a job with a Naija firm.

They will call soldiers to come and carry me comot for the premises and put me on a plane back to London say dem don tire.

Na 4 Go-no-come Yaro Yaro go carry me with my leg not touching the floor with me blowing grammar with my Queen's accent that "This is outrageous! You guys are like bats in the belfry! Put me down, gentlemen. I demand it. Show some veneration for my rank. You have no jurisdiction to do this. I know my rights!"
u wey u go still beg except u no wan do contracts for Abuja
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 12:15pm On Oct 21, 2010
tkb417:

u wey u go still beg except u no wan do contracts for Abuja

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

All he needs to do is show with any oyinbo. Just arrange one of those Eastern Europeans wey dey hang around Paddington dey beg for used travelcard. Clean him up and nack better suit. All the contracts are yours.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mrjingles(m): 12:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
^ for warri we dey call am white skin effect grin

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 21, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I think I agree here. Naija coys are not about what someone can do for them. Some companies want you to beg for job. Sometimes, it is not just worth wasting your time over.

I attended an interview earlier this year at a rival company, against my better judgement actually. Someone told me they already had a candidate, and were just looking to walk through the formalities. Nonetheless I still showed up.
After the whole thing, they were like, do you have any questions for us, and I said this:

'Word on the street says you already have a candidate. If so, why did you invite me, a senior manager and head of department, to come and make up the number? Don't you know I could lose my job for attending this interview? At my level I expected to be head-hunted, not to be called to waste my time talking to you guys. Your internal candidate could never be as good as I am, or else you'd have given him the job already. Please, in case you don't know, this is highly unprofessional, and I'm sure none of you sitting here would take kindly to this if it is done to you.'

Na so dem drop jaw. In fact the HR guy at the interview nearly fell off his seat.

i am sure na glo

glo is the most unprofessional of all the telco majors
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mrjingles(m): 2:24pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^ Glo is a zoo
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 3:36pm On Oct 21, 2010
oyb:

i am sure na glo

Wrong. It's the one you would least expect to exhibit such tomfoolery.
Shows that the bestial nature of most Nigerians can't just be tamed easily.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Jarus(m): 6:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
tkb417:

Jarus worked with Vetiva

ask him

Jarus reporting . . . . questions?
Two of my guys just moved to Vetiva from Zenith and Merristem a couple of weeks ago . . .so if I can't answer the questions, can give a call to them.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by ugobanks: 7:58pm On Oct 21, 2010
@Ajanlekoko

You may not know, a good number of us are emulating your powerful mentality.

Thank you so much.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by sharkins(m): 8:10am On Oct 22, 2010
Jarus:

Jarus reporting . . . . questions?
Two of my guys just moved to Vetiva from Zenith and Merristem a couple of weeks ago . . .so if I can't answer the questions, can give a call to them.

Yep. Tkb suggested i speak with u about getting into Vetiva, said you worked there.

I need someone to help me get a foot in. I'm currently wth a financial advisory firm.

Any help/suggestions?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mbulela: 2:10pm On Oct 22, 2010
oyb:

i am sure na glo

I doubt it is Glo.
I know one of the Telcos that does that on a regular basis.
Sometimes the guy is already acting in the position yet they get poor folks to travel from distant locations to attend meaningless interviews.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mbulela: 2:12pm On Oct 22, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Wrong. It's the one you would least expect to exhibit such tomfoolery.
Shows that the bestial nature of most Nigerians can't just be tamed easily.
just saw this.
i guess i am right.
meanwhile, oga, check your box, i mailed you.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 2:20pm On Oct 22, 2010
mbulela:

just saw this.
i guess i am right.
meanwhile, oga, check your box, i mailed you.

Come online, let's talk.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Jarus(m): 5:27pm On Oct 22, 2010
sharkins:

Yep. Tkb suggested i speak with u about getting into Vetiva, said you worked there.

I need someone to help me get a foot in. I'm currently wth a financial advisory firm.

Any help/suggestions?
If you've got a good CV, then I'll PM my email address to you to send your CV to. No guaranteeing of course, but I can pass it on to my guys there to help pass on to their HR.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by sharkins(m): 5:46pm On Oct 22, 2010
Jarus:

If you've got a good CV, then I'll PM my email address to you to send your CV to. No guaranteeing of course, but I can pass it on to my guys there to help pass on to their HR.

That'd be wonderful. I sure do appreciate that.

Would be waiting for the email address. Thanks a zillion
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 26, 2010
Harvesting honey in Dangote Cement

The listing of 100million Dangote Cement stock today on the Nigerian Stock Exchange by introduction is a landmark event that is bound to lift the profile of the local capital market in a number of ways.

First with total market capitalization of N6.001 trillion, the N1.9 trillion Dangote Cement stock will constitute about 30 percent of the market value and is expected to moderate the current over 50 percent control of the market by the banking sector.

The stock market crisis had some effects on the economy because of the intermediatory role banks play in the economy. The result was that when the sector was hit by crisis, the stock market and indeed the whole economy suffered for it. But operators say with the listing of the mega Dangote Cement stock, risk of similar occurrence in future will reduced.

Secondly, based on the Scheme of document, the profit forecast of the enlarged Dangote Cement Plc in the next five years , investors are expected to harvest earning per share of N20.77 by 2013 with dividend of N15.58 per share in 3 years, the best in the market so far. Price Earning ratio is to drop from 17.61 in 2011 to 6.69 multiple in 2013, meaning that it will take investors about 6 years to recover their initial investment outlay in the stock and analysts say these return prospects put Dangote Cement above its peers.

The stock has a number of things working for it and these support investors’ current confidence in the stock and N135 per share valuation. Apart from projected growth in turnover from N226 billion in 2011 to N537 billion in 2014, profit before tax is expected to rise from N121 billion to N342 billion.

Besides, the Nigerian cement industry currently suffers from a supply deficit based on production capacity as demand for cement far outstrips supply. Total demand was estimated at 14.8m Mtpa for 2009, compared to an estimated local production of 8.7m Mtpa.

The Nigerian cement market is the largest in Sub Sahara Africa with consumption largely determined by the level of available supply. Available studies however show that effective demand for cement for 2010 is approximately 18m Mtpa. With increasing local production and a steady decrease in importation, the production deficit is forecasted to have disappeared by 2012.

Analysts say the prospects for Nigerian cement consumption are very strong, with robust growth conservatively forecasted at 22 million MT in 2012. This is based on strong economic growth, expected to average 6.6%/year over the next three years in real terms; and increased government spending on infrastructure over the coming years in a bid to meet its millennium development goal.

At present, the FGN allows domestic cement producers to import cement in order to meet current demand, a policy that is to end by 2013. By end of 2011, the enlarged DCP becomes one of the largest cement companies in Sub-Saharan Africa with a domestic production capacity of 20 million MTs per Annum.

DCP has a substantial portfolio of greenfield and expansion projects expected to come on-stream within the next year and become accretive to the revenue stream. Gboko plant has an installed production capacity of 2.8 million Mtpa of cement expected to increase to 4 million Mtpa by 2011 due to standard performance improvement projects while Ibese is approximately 80% completed and Obajana expansion is approximately 51% completed. Both have been designed to run primarily on Natural Gas supplies with dual firing kiln (Natural Gas and LPFO) . Ongoing upgrade of all production facilities is also to run on coal energy.

The company is product of the merger between Dangote Cement Plc and Benue Cement Company Plc. Current production capacity is about 11million metric tons which is expected to increase to about 24million metric tons by 2012. It controls more than 50% of the cement market in Nigeria and has good prospect for export in the next few years .

Dangote Cement has current ordinary shares outstanding of 15.494 billion and market operators believe with the pedigree of the company, local and international awareness, the sale would be a huge success.

http://businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15764:harvesting-honey-in-dangote-cement&catid=274:fund-manager&Itemid=647

My question is, where in the world is the market cap of one company equal to nearly one third the total mkt value of an exchange? What were the exchange operators smoking?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Sagamite(m): 10:45pm On Oct 26, 2010
Horayce:

My question is, where in the world is the market cap of one company equal to nearly one third the total mkt value of an exchange? What were the exchange operators smoking?

I don't understand your point, what are the operators suppose to do?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by sharkins(m): 2:43pm On Oct 27, 2010
Wonder if NSE has ay anti-trust laws which stipulates that a merger cannot substantially lessen competition or result in a monopoly, over 50 % of cemnt market, reducing competiton. NSE has to look at Herfindahl-Hirshman Index (HHI) to determine the impact the merger will have on increased concentration within the total marketplace,
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by candylips(m): 3:53pm On Oct 27, 2010
in nigeria anything goes
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mamagee3(f): 1:10am On Oct 29, 2010
Sagamite:

I don't understand your point, what are the operators suppose to do?
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Sagamite(m): 1:37am On Oct 29, 2010
mama-gee:

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

You know wetin koboko be? tongue
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by sharkins(m): 9:07am On Oct 29, 2010
Sagamite:

You know wetin koboko be? tongue

LOL
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Tolulop001(f): 7:10am On Dec 06, 2010
sharkins:

[b]Wonder if NSE has any anti-trust law[/b]s which stipulates that a merger cannot substantially lessen competition or result in a monopoly, over 50 % of cemnt market, reducing competiton. NSE has to look at Herfindahl-Hirshman Index (HHI) to determine the impact the merger will have on increased concentration within the total marketplace,

i doubt strongly that they do.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Cyere: 5:54am On Feb 13, 2011
Do you know of any training programs on investment banking in nairaland?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply)

MMM Nigeria: 'I Am Doomed; I Need My Money Back...' Tears, Wailings Trail 'crash / MMM Blocks Withdrawal Of Funds For One Month! / Get Help Worldwide Is In Its Last Days. Beware!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.