Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court (28668 Views)

N1.04trn Fine: We Expect No Operation Disruptions For Not Paying Fine —MTN / MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court Over Fine / NCC Moves To Deactivate MTN Subscribers Over Refusal To Pay N1.4trn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Dhotseal(m): 8:11pm On Dec 17, 2015
mbhs139:

When you take the two bold part together, isn't that a contradiction and like wanting to eat your cake and have it back?
1. the parties are enjoined to restrain from taking further action until the matter is finally determined
2. Notwithstanding this action, the Company will continue to engage with the Nigerian Authorities to try and ensure an amicable resolution

...and yet you have gone to court...?

I think lawyers, because of what they will eat are the problems of this world. Why not exhaust the 2nd option before going to court.

And your point is?
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Chubhie: 8:12pm On Dec 17, 2015
Smart move. How would Bubu source funds for budget?

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Donkunxex(m): 8:14pm On Dec 17, 2015
NCC and the federal Govt gave mtn enough time to think to build up a defence against them..now it might be hitting them hard if they fail to pay
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 17, 2015
I knew it, mtn can't pay such a huge sum of money as fine.... NCC want to help Buhari raise budget money.... Lol

Those saying that mtn should pay the fine are only being s1lly....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by goldfish27(m): 8:16pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

I want MTN out my country. I hate the Name

Me self done break my sim
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by harsysky(m): 8:18pm On Dec 17, 2015
mbulela:
Below is the communique sent to MTN staff and share holders.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/mtn-takes-nigerian-authorities-to-court/62146/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/n1-4trn-fine-mtn-refuses-to-pay-challenges-ncc-in-court/

I don't have much to say, but if MTN wins this case, NCC should be scrapped!

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 17, 2015
Nigeria! The Land where anything and everything can Happen. They dare not try this in some countries Like China or Korea

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by ruffDiamond: 8:20pm On Dec 17, 2015
I hate mtn pass Lucifer buhari pls send the thieving roguish company outta our shore! DSTV IS NEXT IN LINE !IT EITHER PAY PER VIEW OR THEY GET THE FUVK OUTTA OUR COUNTry! These bunch of XENOPHOBIC BASTARDS ARE JUST ROBBING US BLIND! FUCCK SOUTH ASS-FRICA angry nonsense!

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by saint047(m): 8:20pm On Dec 17, 2015
Piers Morgan and Mourinho both labelled Wenger a failure. Both have since lost their respective jobs. Wenger remains gainfully employed. LOL
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 17, 2015
Don't be surprised if one judge after collecting brown envelope says mtn should go and pay 1 million .

Foolish corrupt Nigerian judges ..
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by olajide8(m): 8:23pm On Dec 17, 2015
What a sorry situation - MTN time to pack and leave nigeria- or go PLC, let nigerians own you- I have already positioned myself - would have to drop my lines...

No one is above the Nigerian law
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by IIjulius(m): 8:24pm On Dec 17, 2015
How to Download YouTube Video Using BlackBerry device
Introduction

Many Blackberry users find it difficult to download YouTube video, while
Android users are rocking it all.

There are many ways to download YouTube videos, either by using a browser plug-in or simply by pasting the URL of the video into another website; one of this is Savefrom.net. On this guide i am going to use Savefrom.net. Because i found it reliable and easy to use.

http://www.9jakeek.com/2015/12/how-to-download-youtube-video-using.html?m=1
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by yomalex(m): 8:25pm On Dec 17, 2015
I think they are trying to buy time but Nationalization and sell off to the highest
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by grandlexuz(m): 8:28pm On Dec 17, 2015
3.9 Billion dollars in fine is a lot of money.. Sadly because the company is South African most people commenting think it does not matter if the go bankrupt! That amount is higher than the GDP of several countries!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by butanep(m): 8:29pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

How will you feel when your brother or sister working in MTN is sacked or loss his or her job?

Do you know thousands of Nigerians that are working for MTN?

Please don't be selfish...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Mandyjosh: 8:29pm On Dec 17, 2015
I wonder y some Mti eme dey support Mti hen?dem fit try dat for der stupid south africa conutry?
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by tiredface: 8:30pm On Dec 17, 2015
IT'S OVER, THEY MUST HAVE PAID OFF THOSE CURRUPT JUDGES. THEY KNOW NIGERIA, THEY KNOW THE SYSTEM
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by butanep(m): 8:30pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

How will you feel when your brother or sister working in MTN is sacked or loss his or her job?

Do you know thousands of Nigerians that are working for MTN?

Please don't be selfish... if their stay has no benefit to you, it has to others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by jamex93(m): 8:34pm On Dec 17, 2015
wristbangle:

Am rocking glo already. It's high time MTN left Nigeria. smiley smiley. Their thief thief too much.

u r not wrong
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 17, 2015
gunners160:
Na dis kind topic dey sweet to read but instead of dem imposing 1.4 tri on Mtn they should just tell Mtn to give NIGERIANS free kalling and free browsing for 1year. HOW UNA C HAM

You too like AWUF. But on a 2nd thought, na nice plan oooo grin

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by porka: 8:40pm On Dec 17, 2015
Buhari's N6trn budget o o o
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by JUHABACH: 8:43pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

This fine needs to be increased and competition laws strengthened

i understand the need to develop our indigenous industries BUT no developing nation can hope to acheive industrialization without foreign investments.
fines such as this and stiffer competition laws only serve to set a horrible precedent and scare away potential investors.
besides, its not like nigerian indigenous companies have a sterling record.

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Ramos16(m): 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2015
redsconsult:
we need to send them parking jawe... who go to court and prison and come back to be friends again...abeg make then pay the full money or commot from our country abi na by force to trade where you are not wanted.

you don't know what you are saying, we are praying for foreign investors you are asking the few we have to go away, you think it will make us big and mighty in front of other investors, no no no, it will make us shitty, our economy is bad enough as it is to drive away investors, I think we should know how we handle the few we have..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by OohLalah(f): 8:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
Good move Mr Putuma Nhleko, Sir! Now let the games begin.

NOW! MTN should make sure the court case attracts major publicity internationally, it will definitely have a huge negative impact on Nigeria. Investors will run.

I knew MTN would not take this lying down. cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by maryhaam(f): 8:54pm On Dec 17, 2015
bigass:

you hate our source of livelihood,they might be bad truly but they create job ma.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by johnsonjosbles(m): 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2015
gunners160:
Na dis kind topic dey sweet to read but instead of dem imposing 1.4 tri on Mtn they should just tell Mtn to give NIGERIANS free kalling and free browsing for 1year. HOW UNA C HAM
this is what u get when country is too weak and those in charge are useless, any animal can take us for granted like mtn is doing rit now! XENOPHOBIA kills and distroy many bussnes in SA nigeria govt did nothing, mtn are aiding terorism, they still get guts to go court.

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by redsconsult(m): 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ramos16:

you don't know what you are saying, we are praying for foreign investors you are asking the few we have to go away, you think it will make us big and mighty in front of other investors, no no no, it will make us shitty, our economy is bad enough as it is to drive away investors, I think we should know how we handle the few we hyave..
more reason we should allow poo to fester on us ...guy na oja oyingbo....free entry free exist...
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by grandlexuz(m): 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
Dhotseal:

U need some urgent brain surgery to correct your malignant stupidity

Isn't it lawful for a person to turn to the courts to adjudicate where it is deemed necessary. Unlike u, I am surprised MTN waited this long to go to court to challenge the fine.

I think as a matter of urgency, idiots should not be allowed to make comments on important topics like this.

Thank you for that sensible contribution.. It is totally sickening reading at some comments.. The everyday news of large amounts stolen by Nigerian Politifcians has got lots of people thinking 3.9 billion dollars is chicken change... That money is bigger than the GDP of several countries.. Unfortunately because MTN is a South African company a lot of folks think it is okay for them to go bankrupt. One would think the fine was imposed for tax evasion! All of sudden you read comments like "If they don't want to adhere to the laws of our land let them leave". Nigerians and hypocrisy! Dasuki stole 2.1 billion dollars of tax payer's money meant to fight insurgency, yet he still has a huge support base on Nairaland..

GDP of a few countries countries..

Seychelles - 2 billion dollars
Liberia- 1.9 Billion dollars
Gambia - 903 Million dollars
Central African Republic- 1.5 Billion dollars

5 Likes

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by TimothyNkenu: 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
cramjones:
Then we should expell MTN from Nigeria! Simple! If you must operate in a country you must follow their rules. Who is MTN? We have many other companies that want their customer base so bad! PMB expell these people, they have plundered Nigeria for so long!

-CramJones

"Lol..."

- Abraham Lincoln,1855
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by menxer: 9:07pm On Dec 17, 2015
Hahahahahaha

Mtn, how una expect to win a case against Federal government of Nigeria handled by the judicial arm of the Federal government of Nigeria?

E be like mtn don dey tire to do business for Nigeria, as it be say this case may not go in their favour.
Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Kx: 9:17pm On Dec 17, 2015
Shows how desperately uninformed mtn are.

Who sets the rules of engagement in Nigeria corporate space,mtn or fgn/ncc?

Even if mtn wins this case for argument sake, is mtn really sure it wants to keep playing in this space?

Too bad, watch how the perception of this careless move will further crash mtn stock price in jse even before the court proceedings commences.

All sensible businesses pushes for out of court settlement but mtn would rather openly run to court,
I pity them.

1 Like

Re: 1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court by Adesiji77: 9:17pm On Dec 17, 2015
This is getting uninteresting...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Check Bank Network Before Using It On Pos/transfer (avoid Customer Debit) / Fire Razes Auto Spare Parts Market In Ibadan (Photos, Video) / Arthur Eze Dances To 'Igba Eze' At His Residence In Ukpo,Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.