Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 (14080 Views)

Help!!!toyota Camry 07 SE Overheating / Acura MDX Vs ML 350 Both 2010 / Help Make An Informed Decision. Toyota Highlander Or Hyundai Tucson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by rofemiguwa(f): 8:25am On Dec 18, 2015
Hello car gurus in the house.

Please help my husband make the right decision. Earlier this month, he contacted his dealer in us for a clean 09 toyota highlander.

The guy called yesterday to inform him that he doesn't havea clean hiGhlander presently but he has a clean 07 ML 4matic at hand.and he will advise him to get it as the car is superclean.

Now we are going to be using this car in nigeria, cost of maintence and all . We don't really know much about mercedes pppproducts. Availability of spareppart and all.

Please kindly help us make a good choice.

Links to good reviews of both cars will be appreciated

Thank u all for ur time. That's pic of th ML he sent

Cc siena, luvinghubby,gazzuzz et all

1 Share

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by diportivo: 8:37am On Dec 18, 2015
Madam,if u will go by what nairalanders will tell you,its the highlander that will be sitting in ur garage

Simply because it is a toyota

We love toyota on nairaland...too much

For me,i think ur dealer shouldnt dictate what u shld drive.you have had ur sights set on the highlander..the onus is on him to get a clean one

Goodluck

5 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:21am On Dec 18, 2015
rofemiguwa:

Please help my husband make the right decision. Earlier this month, he contacted his dealer in us for a clean 09 toyota highlander.

The guy called yesterday to inform him that he doesn't havea clean hiGhlander presently but he has a clean 07 ML 4matic at hand.and he will advise him to get it as the car is superclean.

Now we are going to be using this car in nigeria, cost of maintence and all . We don't really know much about mercedes pppproducts. Availability of spareppart and all.

There's a reason your dealer cannot "find" any toyota to sell.

There's a reason why used toyotas are expensive.

4 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by rofemiguwa(f): 9:58am On Dec 18, 2015
So we shud insist on the highlander!

GAZZUZZ:

There's a reason your dealer cannot "find" any toyota to sell.

There's a reason why used toyotas are expensive.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by LKO(m): 11:55am On Dec 18, 2015
rofemiguwa:
So we shud insist on the highlander!

It is d highlander or nothing else. My neighbour has the ML 350 and I can tell u its maintenance and fuel usage is huge. It is a good car and has superb handling but this comes with a cost. My neighbour actually wanted to get the old model toyota rav 4 but d dealer couldnt get him one and so d dealer convinced and tricked him to get d ML 350 but today that car is now more on his garage than on d road. He board public transport to work and uses it only sundays to church. It drinks fuel alot and our mechanic would compound issues. Highlander is fantastic and cheap to run, hence most average people who want a taste of SUV go for the highlander.

2 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by luvinhubby(m): 12:35pm On Dec 18, 2015
Maintenance cost, availability of parts, affordability of parts, easy-to-get 'kazeem' to attend to it and fuel consumption - Highlander.

Upgraded social status - ML 350.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 18, 2015
Madam the house has spoken, go for the Highlander its more user and pocket friendly than the ML.
My neighbor has owned his for the past 2 years no issues.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by rofemiguwa(f): 1:43pm On Dec 18, 2015
ThAnk you for ur time. I will show my husband this.

Especially mechAnic issues and fuel usuage. That's my main concern, don't want us to get a car that will will be more of a monument than what it was bought for.

Any odr advise will still be appreciated.
LKO:

It is d highlander or nothing else. My neighbour has the ML 350 and I can tell u its maintenance and fuel usage is huge. It is a good car and has superb handling but this comes with a cost. My neighbour actually wanted to get the old model toyota rav 4 but d dealer couldnt get him one and so d dealer convinced and tricked him to get d ML 350 but today that car is now more on his garage than on d road. He board public transport to work and uses it only sundays to church. It drinks fuel alot and our mechanic would compound issues. Highlander is fantastic and cheap to run, hence most average people who want a taste of SUV go for the highlander.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by bravolad(m): 2:09pm On Dec 18, 2015
Comparatively, both vehicles are no match but the ML350 has a higher cost of maintenance in the long run, considering fueling, spare parts availability locally & cost.

If your intention is to maintain a social status, then go for the ML350. But for a daily usage albeit pocket friendly maintenance schedule, the highlander is your best choice. Also, the 4matic system in the ML is an expensive fix if it goes bad & I'm not very sure there are sufficient competent mechanics to handle maintenance.

Above all, the highlander offers a better resell value, mpg & cheaper to keep as a daily drive.

However, I don't think it's right for a dealer to decide for you what brand of vehicle you buy. If it's a gift, then go ahead but if you are paying for it...he owe you a duty to get your choice. You could also get from other dealers & compare prices.

Do not be coerced into accepting what you may stand to regret afterwards.

Good luck with your choice. Just my opinion.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by ogawisdom(m): 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2015
rofemiguwa:

oww we are going to be using this car in nigeria, cost of maintence and all . We don't really know much about mercedes pppproducts. Availability of spareppart and all.

Mercedes if u r rich but highlander if u r on a budget on maintenance. In otherwords highlander will b far cheaper to maintain in Nigeria.

Madam again if u put highlander n d Mercedes for resale in Nigeria, ppl will fight to buy d highlander off u but u will beg on ur knees to have ppl buy d Mercedes even at give away price grin na naija we dey

Toyota is d highest n quickest selling product in naija

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by Nobody: 11:43pm On Dec 18, 2015
If ur Husband is well to do, go 4 350.. O9 Highlander is shi..t compared to the Benz.... Unless you decided to go for the 010 facelift anyway.

8 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by DGD1(m): 7:52am On Dec 19, 2015
Bossforeva:
If ur Husband is well to do, go 4 350.. O9 Highlander is shi..t compared to the Benz.... Unless you decided to go for the 010 facelift anyway.

what makes it shit?
this is practically a couple who know little about cars and you guys are talking as if they are petrol-heads.
what does an average Nigerian need in a car that is missing in that highlander?
don't tell me balancing @ top speed, I laugh when I read such. Give this couple a 2002 highlander and they would appreciate.

@ OP, wait till your dealer gets you a highlander!
a salvaged highlander will last in Nigeria more than a clean non-salvaged benz.

@OP, not that the highlander won't develop fault due to wear and tear, the good news is that it is easier to fix compared to the ML.

As Gazzuzz said the other time, there is a reason toyota is scarce and expensive.
Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by rofemiguwa(f): 8:08am On Dec 19, 2015
Thank you everyone for your kind comment. Its not a gift from the dealer, jus that he has being his dealer for years so he trust him. But I told him to holdon let's get second opinion.
The SUv is for him. Since I drive our EOD more often. He isn't based in lagos. He uses his official car mondays to fridays. The suv is for the weekends when he comes back home. And maybe when we are going home for hols.

However I appreciate all your comments and will show him all of the comments this weekend.so we can make an informed decision as the deal has to be concluded this year.

God bless you all.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by sultaan(m): 9:47am On Dec 19, 2015
Poverty and ignorance is a blackman's chain.

10 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by llade(m): 12:07pm On Dec 19, 2015
If ure buying an suv like highlander or ML 350, fuel cost should not be ur problem and part of ur decision factors.

7 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by lonelydora: 2:24pm On Dec 19, 2015
How dare you compare a donkey and a horse?

ML350 all the way.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:08pm On Dec 19, 2015
lonelydora:
How dare you compare a donkey and a horse?

ML350 all the way.

You came late grin

She has joined our bandwagon tongue

5 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by Spark5(m): 11:49pm On Dec 19, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

You came late grin
She has joined our bandwagon tongue
Lmao! Oga GAZZUZZ!!!
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by Ikenna351(m): 11:59am On Dec 20, 2015
[
I, today, 01/07/2020, intentionally edited and deleted some free vital information I provided in the original post (05/11/2019), which I shared here to benefit those who can't afford my private consultancy services, but have now been removed since the free information is not valued and appreciated.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk

3 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by mayor2013: 6:36pm On Dec 20, 2015
ogawisdom:

Mercedes if u r rich but highlander if u r on a budget on maintenance. In otherwords highlander will b far cheaper to maintain in Nigeria.

Madam again if u put highlander n d Mercedes for resale in Nigeria, ppl will fight to buy d highlander off u but u will beg on ur knees to have ppl buy d Mercedes even at give away price grin na naija we dey

Toyota is d highest n quickest selling product in naija

I disagree with people having to beg for ur ML350 to be bought. You don't wanna mess with the German. Handle both cars and spot the difference yourself.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by ogawisdom(m): 7:28pm On Dec 20, 2015
mayor2013:

I disagree with people having to beg for ur ML350 to be bought. You don't wanna mess with the German. Handle both cars and spot the difference yourself.

Does it matter whether u disagree or nt hw many ml350 do u see on naija road compared to highlander, 1 is to 1000 and dt is to put it mildly
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 8:44pm On Dec 20, 2015
mayor2013:

bros, forget handling in ML350 W164, its bland and rubbish. Steering is way too im-precise, bland and road manners is an issue, it also have numb brake feeling (even tho they have excellent brakes). It only excels offroad (when equipped with the offroad package option). Excessive technological aid spoilt that car. Go read and watch reviews online.

The HL on the other hand has a very precise steering (even tho its numb and bland too), soft spring rates, and excellent road manners. When equipped properly, that HL can be a cheap lexus RX350.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by sultaan(m): 11:00pm On Dec 20, 2015
See how low this generation has fallen!

I bet my dad is rolling in his grave now.

In the 80's when most houses were surrounded by bushes our parents were using mercs and volvos leaving toyota and datsun(nissan) to cab drivers.
Now we have big mansions and money in the bank we think toyota is a better option because the society does not have the brain power to own and maintain Mercedes like our parents did.

You can all see my statement awkward but the fact is Nigerians choose Toyota because they are the most primitive brand(basic cars) for those in remote part of the world. They say if you drive a toyota you will find a mechanic even in the bush; because toyota made things simple for the basic grease monkey(mechanic)

You either exist within the crowd or live beyond the crowd; your choice.

9 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by auhanson(m): 1:10am On Dec 21, 2015
5hit happens everyday..just like the lots here, and could always be justified no doubt. What a bullshits

Madam, these two cars cant be compared in any measurable way if you want sophistication.. Just take the decision first , when you come to the cross road, you will work around it and overcome in the simplest form. Life isn't just straight as pointed above by Naija Toyotans mentallity. Bland may not always be the best.

2 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by Nobody: 1:17am On Dec 21, 2015
auhanson:
5hit happens everyday..just like the lots here, and could always be justified no doubt.

Madam, these two cars cant be compared in any measurable way if you want sophistication.. Just take the decision first , when you come to the cross road, you will work around it and overcome in the simplest form. Life isn't just straight as pointed above by Naija Toyotans mentallity. Bland may not always be the best.
pls Go and get more people from Benz thread. Here is filled with Toyota Families.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by prudencesmart(m): 1:18am On Dec 21, 2015
auhanson:
5hit happens everyday..just like the lots here, and could always be justified no doubt. What a bullshits

If only they know what they are missing in rejecting that machine with some cock and bull story
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by prudencesmart(m): 1:26am On Dec 21, 2015
kingreign:

bros, forget handling in ML350 W164, its bland and rubbish. Steering is way too im-precise, bland and road manners is an issue, it also have numb brake feeling (even tho they have excellent brakes). It only excels offroad (when equipped with the offroad package option). Excessive technological aid spoilt that car. Go read and watch reviews online.

The HL on the other hand has a very precise steering (even tho its numb and bland too), soft spring rates, and excellent road manners. When equipped properly, that HL can be a cheap lexus RX350.

What a poo..comparing the long durable sophisticated machine with that fragile piece of cast iron ore. Its a shame.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by ekojoe(m): 6:59am On Dec 21, 2015
rofemiguwa:

Madamé, I use a Mercedes ML500 which is a lil ML350 upgraded.. yes the fuel consumption is very high... even higher in the ML500 cus it has the 8cylinder engine. The truth is, if you use the right oil, fuel and a pretty good Mechanic, you'll never get a problem. But you should be ready to break your purse when the problem comes.. when it comes to balancing at top speed, forget it.. u can't compare with the HighLander.. You'll also need a saloon car to compliment..

GOOD LUCK

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 7:16am On Dec 21, 2015
prudencesmart:

What a poo..comparing the long durable sophisticated machine with that fragile piece of cast iron ore. Its a shame.

This is a clear result of commenting without proper research. If I wanna step up the game, I'd even compare an RX to the ML but it will be seen as going too far. Durability isn't a term associated with ML's.
I use a HL as a daily car for years running and its got all I need in a vehicle and hasn't disappointed yet.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 7:26am On Dec 21, 2015
ekojoe:

Madamé, I use a Mercedes ML500 which is a lil ML350 upgraded.. yes the fuel consumption is very high... even higher in the ML500 cus it has the 8cylinder engine. The truth is, if you use the right oil, fuel and a pretty good Mechanic, you'll never get a problem. But you should be ready to break your purse when the problem comes.. when it comes to balancing at top speed, forget it.. u can't compare with the HighLander.. You'll also need a saloon car to compliment..

GOOD LUCK

Although, you tried to be objective and non bias, the bolded is where I get issues. I wish to know what kind of 'balancing at top speed' an ML can do that a HL can't do. Talking from a more expert review, the best high speed handling SUVs are RRS s/c, Porsche cayenne turbo, BMW X6 SAV, Infiniti FX50s. The obtrusive traction control in ML will always cut off power at any attempt to engage a high speed manoeuvre even in an ML 63AMG put in sports mode n traction control disabled.

I do an 03 HL and I can authoritatively say its balanced and even round hard bends on high speeds i only get slight body rolls which is normal.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by BTT(m): 9:02am On Dec 21, 2015
Dear rofemiguwa,

I have carefully read your op and the subsequent responses that have followed. I am not as 'undisappointed' about the responses as I am at the issue itself. Every once in a while we are stuck between choices and seek counsel from people we assume know better. You did right.

Your request however betrays your understanding of the 'workings' of this forum and the average Nigerian. If you knew, you obviously would have directed your enquiry to maybe, aliens.

rofemiguwa darling, I have seen innocent enquiries on altogether different car brands and conversations here on Nairaland buried at the doorsteps of Toyota. I maintain that any car brand comparison against Toyota or even between other brands is dead on arrival in favour of Toyota. I knew this before I opened this thread.

Please, tell my brother to follow his heart. There are no such things as absolutes. Whatever the choice is, he should brace up for the consequences. That's what makes MEN.

MEN-said-this is my choice in this equation if you seek my opinion.

My warm regards to the family.

Merry Christmas.

BT T.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by bravolad(m): 9:43am On Dec 21, 2015
Most people here seem to miss the point; the comparison is situated around economy of use & spareparts availability in Nigeria. Again, there is no doubt as a daily driver, it will cost more to keep the ML. Parts are not readily available & they don't come cheap. I have got friends who use the ml350, & I can say with some degree of confidence, it's not pocket friendly. As I said earlier, if they are rich & very comfortable, maintenance, fuelling & spare parts availability questions will not arise. Obviously, from the woman's narrative, they are not car enthusiast but need a decent SUV with a suitable maintenance requirement without having to break the banks.

Also different strokes for different folks, even with an average income, some users will pick the ML350 based strictly on choice & taste. But when usage in Nigeria is being discussed, of course, maintenance, parts availability and competent mechanics must be considered before any vehicle is acquired. On the side note, I have seen countless of MLs & G wagon abandoned in mechanic workshops. For those in Abuja, I can refer you to 3 different auto garages where you can verify this. I have another friend who sells Mercedes spare parts & I'm alarmed at the cost of some of the parts.

The use of that ml350 comes at a price.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Share Your Experience With Hardex 5W20 Engine Oil / Bajaj Is About To Buy Ducati / New Zealand Dogs Pass Driving Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.