Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,240 members, 7,839,263 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 (14156 Views)

Help!!!toyota Camry 07 SE Overheating / Acura MDX Vs ML 350 Both 2010 / Help Make An Informed Decision. Toyota Highlander Or Hyundai Tucson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 10:23am On Dec 21, 2015
bravolad:
Most people here seem to miss the point; the comparison is situated around economy of use & spareparts availability in Nigeria. Again, there is no doubt as a daily driver, it will cost more to keep the ML. Parts are not readily available & they don't come cheap. I have got friends who use the ml350, & I can say with some degree of confidence, it's not pocket friendly. As I said earlier, if they are rich & very comfortable, maintenance, fuelling & spare parts availability questions will not arise. Obviously, from the woman's narrative, they are not car enthusiast but need a decent SUV with a suitable maintenance requirement without having to break the banks.

Also different strokes for different folks, even with an average income, some users will pick the ML350 based strictly on choice & taste. But when usage in Nigeria is being discussed, of course, maintenance, parts availability and competent mechanics must be considered before any vehicle is acquired. On the side note, I have seen countless of MLs & G wagon abandoned in mechanic workshops. For those in Abuja, I can refer you to 3 different auto garages where you can verify this. I have another friend who sells Mercedes spare parts & I'm alarmed at the cost of some of the parts.

The use of that ml350 comes at a price.
I replaced a 2007 ML350's alternator for some good money (alternator price alone) in Abuja. Before I could lay hands on the same spec of alternator, I went through hell.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by rofemiguwa(f): 10:43am On Dec 21, 2015
Thank you so much for ur response. I showed my husband all ur replies. At the end of the day he decided to go for the ML. His main issue was getting a good servicing point incase of maintenance and all. And a friend happens to know one.

The suv is more like a pleasure car we already have two odr cars at our disposal.

Thank you all for ur time.

BTT:
Dear rofemiguwa,

I have carefully read your op and the subsequent responses that have followed. I am not as 'undisappointed' about the responses as I am at the issue itself. Every once in a while we are stuck between choices and seek counsel from people we assume knows better. You did right.

Your request however betrays your understanding of the 'workings' of this forum and the average Nigerian. If you knew, you obviously would have directed your enquiry to maybe, aliens.

rofemiguwa darling, I have seen innocent enquiries on altogether different car brands and conversations here on Nairaland buried at the doorsteps of Toyota. I maintain that any car brand comparison against Toyota or even between other brands is dead on arrival in favour of Toyota. I knew this before I opened thw thread.

Please, tell my brother to follow his heart. There are no such things as absolutes. Whatever the choice is, he should brace up for the consequences. That's what makes MEN.

MEN-said-this is my choice in this equation if you seek my opinion.

My warm regards to the family.

Merry Christmas.

BTT.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by prudencesmart(m): 11:15am On Dec 21, 2015
kingreign:

This is a clear result of commenting without proper research. If I wanna step up the game, I'd even compare an RX to the ML but it will be seen as going too far. Durability isn't a term associated with ML's.
I use a HL as a daily car for years running and its got all I need in a vehicle and hasn't disappointed yet.

It is highly regrettable that a supposed educated car enthusiast should promote all sort of deception, even multiple thread names(Kingrein, Gazuzz, etc and what have you) just to lure a lame person, an unsuspected one into believing your Toyota myths against world acclaim sophisticated aesthetically autorist giant like MB, simply because he languishes in Toyota. He would even go extra miles to dig cow dung from internet to support his faulty claims against this world acclaimed giant- to the extent that he even start believing in his own very deceptions. It is most regrettable.

Let me tell you, no matter how you may promote that crap , that Lexus is just another bland Toyota but with some level of aesthetic, it still got the same poor suspensions, poor engine and life span, though you would polish this to be an achievement, it's still built with the same substandard pan and materials though you may have deceive yourself to be a pride , it's still limited in several instances just like the Toyota cheap materials and technology. The only Toyota i could pick out is the discontinued Supra and maybe Corrolla simply for fuel efficiency.

Your half bake HL is just an elevated Camry with same poor brakes, poor suspension, poor handling and every other poor items , i'm sure you know that, though you may keep on deceiving yourself and those unsuspected persons.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 11:26am On Dec 21, 2015
prudencesmart:

It is highly regrettable that a supposed educated car enthusiast should promote all sort of deception, even multiple thread names(Kingrein, Gazuzz, etc and what have you) just to lure a lame person, an unsuspected one into believing your Toyota myths against world acclaim sophisticated aesthetically autorist giant like MB, simply because he languishes in Toyota. He would even go extra miles to dig cow dung from internet to support his faulty claims against this world acclaimed giant- to the extent that he even start believing in his own very deceptions. It is most regrettable.

Let me tell you, no matter how you may promote that crap , that Lexus is just another bland Toyota but with some level of aesthetic, it still got the same poor suspensions, poor engine and life span, though you would polish this to be an achievement, it's still built with the same substandard pan and materials though you may have deceive yourself to be a pride , it's still limited in several instances just like the Toyota cheap materials and technology. The only Toyota i could pick out is the discontinued Supra and maybe Corrolla simply for fuel efficiency.

Your half bake HL is just an elevated Camry with same poor brakes, poor suspension, poor handling and every other poor items , i'm sure you know that, though you may keep on deceiving yourself and those unsuspected persons.

Now this is getting physical and turning to insults, name calling and durogatory speeches. I have no personal issue with you, I've not met you before, I have no business with you. If you can't argue maturely devoid of silly vices, pls avoid social media (especially cartalk). Oh and one more thing, if you're having personal issues affecting you, go sort yourself out.
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by LKO(m): 11:57am On Dec 21, 2015
kingreign:

Now this is getting physical and turning to insults, name calling and durogatory speeches. I have no personal issue with you, I've not met you before, I have no business with you. If you can't argue maturely devoid of silly vices, pls avoid social media (especially cartalk). Oh and one more thing, if you're having personal issues affecting you, go sort yourself out.
Cheers!

Polite response from u. Thank u.

Would u really recommend the HL to a young average income guy as a daily use car? My area has a very bad Road and almost everybody in the area has started using SUVs. Please talk about its fuel efficiency in comparison to corolla and also the general cost of maintenance. I m considering a 2003 model. Thank u.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by prudencesmart(m): 11:58am On Dec 21, 2015
kingreign:

Cheers!

Sorry Mr Kingreign or Gazzuzz, if that is the way you look at it. Henceforth, i will keep my mouth shut when ever i see your comment.They say truth is bitter.
Cheers too
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 12:12pm On Dec 21, 2015
LKO:

Polite response from u. Thank u.

Would u really recommend the HL to a young average income guy as a daily use car? My area has a very bad Road and almost everybody in the area has started using SUVs. Please talk about its fuel efficiency in comparison to corolla and also the general cost of maintenance. I m considering a 2003 model. Thank u.

Thanks for taking out time to inquire more about HL. HL is a heavier, taller camry in SUV shape (for folks who like CAMRY for their reliability and durability and simplicity yet dislike sedans). The 2003 HL comes in 2 engine variants, 2.4l 4 cylinder and 3.0l V6 engines all mated to a 4 speed auto which is either front wheel drive or All wheel drive. No HL is as fuel efficient as a Corolla which has 1.6/1.8l 4 cylinder. A HL is quite cheap to run and maintain. Doesn't break down easily, parts are abound and mechanics are abound. Its okay to use HL on rough roads because of their 4WD systems, skid off traction systems and their ride height, but don't take them to thick off road terrains like mountains or hard terrains.
I do lots of movement within Abuja and if I put say 7,000 of fuel in my HL which could be about full tank, I can use that vehicle for 7good days within Abuja traffic in AC and at the 7th day, it will be at the 4th quarter level. I'd advice anyone to purchase any HL because it's extremely versatile, a very good and very practical vehicle.
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by auhanson(m): 12:24pm On Dec 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

You came late grin

She has joined our bandwagon tongue

rofemiguwa:
Thank you so much for ur response. I showed my husband all ur replies. At the end of the day he decided to go for the ML. His main issue was getting a good servicing point incase of maintenance and all. And a friend happens to know one.

The suv is more like a pleasure car we already have two odr cars at our disposal.

Thank you all for ur time.

We win! We win! we win cool Ntorrrr!! She has joined the kings

Madam, my 8 cylinder 16 plugs ML500 no dey chop fuel at all. If someone else's own does that, better check your system for buildups. I use 30 litres of fuel from PH to Calabar, and 50 litres from PH to Obudu Cattle ranch against 25 litres and {(17+25)=42} litres respectively in my 4 cylinder C180. You can see that my c180 takes just a little below that and it saves more fuel than Toyota Camry talkless of Highlander.So fuel shouldn't be an issue if you keep with cheap but knowledgeable regular maintenance that will cost you nothing. Talk of mechanic , you can drive a whole year plus, even 2 without changing a pin. I have never seen a rugged maniac like this before. My little sincere experience.

3 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by Bizibi(m): 12:47pm On Dec 21, 2015
auhanson:

Madam, my 8 cylinder 16 plugs ML500 no dey chop fuel at all. If someone else's own does that, better check your system for buildups. I use 30 litres of fuel from PH to Calabar, and 50 litres from PH to Obudu Cattle ranch against 25 litres and 17 litres respectively in my 4 cylinder C180. You can see that my c180 takes just a little below that and it saves more fuel than Toyota Camry talkless of Highlander.So fuel shouldn't be an issue if you keep with cheap but knowledgeable regular maintenance that will cost you nothing. Talk of mechanic , you can drive a whole year plus, even 2 without changing a pin. I have never seen a rugged maniac like this before. My little sincere experience.
I don't know why people say negative things about ml fuel usage,if it is fuel efficiency, Benz is still good.....I drive ml350,I buy 3500 fuel and I use it for almost a week

2 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by youngice(m): 1:06pm On Dec 21, 2015
rofemiguwa:
Thank you everyone for your kind comment. Its not a gift from the dealer, jus that he has being his dealer for years so he trust him. But I told him to holdon let's get second opinion.
The SUv is for him. Since I drive our EOD more often. He isn't based in lagos. He uses his official car mondays to fridays. The suv is for the weekends when he comes back home. And maybe when we are going home for hols.

However I appreciate all your comments and will show him all of the comments this weekend.so we can make an informed decision as the deal has to be concluded this year.

God bless you all.
Now you have given me a reason to speak
The ml350 is a very good Mercedes, provided that you maintain it well and give it what it needs you will not have any issue, your husband uses his official car Monday's through Friday's, it's only reasonable that he might want something different on weekends, my dad owns an ml350 for daily use and he has no complaints , i also have an uncle that owns a clk 320 for only Saturday cruises , so to escape the monotony of boring driving I highly suggest the ml
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by youngice(m): 1:12pm On Dec 21, 2015
auhanson:

Madam, my 8 cylinder 16 plugs ML500 no dey chop fuel at all. If someone else's own does that, better check your system for buildups. I use 30 litres of fuel from PH to Calabar, and 50 litres from PH to Obudu Cattle ranch against 25 litres and 17 litres respectively in my 4 cylinder C180. You can see that my c180 takes just a little below that and it saves more fuel than Toyota Camry talkless of Highlander.So fuel shouldn't be an issue if you keep with cheap but knowledgeable regular maintenance that will cost you nothing. Talk of mechanic , you can drive a whole year plus, even 2 without changing a pin. I have never seen a rugged maniac like this before. My little sincere experience.
You are right o, that ml is one rugged morra fucka, if you feed it well it will never disappoint you
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by LKO(m): 4:42pm On Dec 21, 2015
kingreign:

Thanks for taking out time to inquire more about HL. HL is a heavier, taller camry in SUV shape (for folks who like CAMRY for their reliability and durability and simplicity yet dislike sedans). The 2003 HL comes in 2 engine variants, 2.4l 4 cylinder and 3.0l V6 engines all mated to a 4 speed auto which is either front wheel drive or All wheel drive. No HL is as fuel efficient as a Corolla which has 1.6/1.8l 4 cylinder. A HL is quite cheap to run and maintain. Doesn't break down easily, parts are abound and mechanics are abound. Its okay to use HL on rough roads because of their 4WD systems, skid off traction systems and their ride height, but don't take them to thick off road terrains like mountains or hard terrains.
I do lots of movement within Abuja and if I put say 7,000 of fuel in my HL which could be about full tank, I can use that vehicle for 7good days within Abuja traffic in AC and at the 7th day, it will be at the 4th quarter level. I'd advice anyone to purchase any HL because it's extremely versatile, a very good and very practical vehicle.
Cheers!

Thanks for the education.
In your expert opinion which would be cheaper to run between the HL and lexus rx 300? In terms of fuel efficiency and general maintenance cost. Is ur HL V6?
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2015
LKO:

Thanks for the education.
In your expert opinion which would be cheaper to run between the HL and lexus rx 300? In terms of fuel efficiency and general maintenance cost. Is ur HL V6?
Both shares similar parts, engine, transmission, suspensions etc, but the RX300 is a premium vehicle so it will command a slightly higher running cost. That said, its running cost won't cause you to rob a bank. My HL is i4
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by LKO(m): 5:55pm On Dec 21, 2015
kingreign:

Both shares similar parts, engine, transmission, suspensions etc, but the RX300 is a premium vehicle so it will command a slightly higher running cost. That said, its running cost won't cause you to rob a bank. My HL is i4

Thanks. But people recommend the HL V6, this may however not be fuel efficient like ur i4.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 6:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
LKO:

Thanks. But people recommend the HL V6, this may however not be fuel efficient like ur i4.

Yea people do recommend the V6 because at one point in the i4 engine's life, it will develop a stripped headbolt failure which would require highly experienced technicians to work on it. But if it survives that, its a rock solid engine you now get which can never develop any stripped headbolt.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by ekojoe(m): 8:49am On Dec 28, 2015
kingreign:

Although, you tried to be objective and non bias, the bolded is where I get issues. I wish to know what kind of 'balancing at top speed' an ML can do that a HL can't do. Talking from a more expert review, the best high speed handling SUVs are RRS s/c, Porsche cayenne turbo, BMW X6 SAV, Infiniti FX50s. The obtrusive traction control in ML will always cut off power at any attempt to engage a high speed manoeuvre even in an ML 63AMG put in sports mode n traction control disabled.

I do an 03 HL and I can authoritatively say its balanced and even round hard bends on high speeds i only get slight body rolls which is normal.

Personally i believe this Mercedes hype is just because it's Mercedes... but come to think of it(neglecting the balancing at top speed issue), it's a German engine and that's what i love about it.. zero down time error if properly maintained.. but the HL can just decide to mess you up in the middle of nowhere (speaking out of sad experiences)..

1 Like

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by kingreign(m): 8:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
ekojoe:

Personally i believe this Mercedes hype is just because it's Mercedes... but come to think of it(neglecting the balancing at top speed issue), it's a German engine and that's what i love about it.. zero down time error if properly maintained.. but the HL can just decide to mess you up in the middle of nowhere (speaking out of sad experiences)..
pray, share this sad experience pls.
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by lagosrd: 8:33am On Dec 29, 2015
kingreign:
pray, share this sad experience pls.

I have used both. I am currently enjoying the highlander now with little or no issues. Pls go for the highlander this is because when wiring problem starts with the ML you will not be happy then before buyers comes for it. Its takes a longer time compared to the former
so stay away from frustration the father of regret.

2 Likes

Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by mrvitalis(m): 3:13am On Mar 03, 2019
auhanson:

Madam, my 8 cylinder 16 plugs ML500 no dey chop fuel at all. If someone else's own does that, better check your system for buildups. I use 30 litres of fuel from PH to Calabar, and 50 litres from PH to Obudu Cattle ranch against 25 litres and {(17+25)=42} litres respectively in my 4 cylinder C180. You can see that my c180 takes just a little below that and it saves more fuel than Toyota Camry talkless of Highlander.So fuel shouldn't be an issue if you keep with cheap but knowledgeable regular maintenance that will cost you nothing. Talk of mechanic , you can drive a whole year plus, even 2 without changing a pin. I have never seen a rugged maniac like this before. My little sincere experience.
How do u see 2007 ml350
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by awetaiye2015: 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
mrvitalis:

How do u see 2007 ml350

Someone should pls tell us more about ml350 4matic 2007. I'm about getting one.
What is the major problem to look out for and what is the fuel economy like and durability?
Thank you
Re: Help!! Toyota Highlander Or ML 350 by temmym4(m): 1:48pm On Nov 04, 2019
I disagree with people having to beg for ur ML350 to be bought. You don't wanna mess with the German. Handle both cars and spot the difference yourself.

The difference. Sweet isn't it? but the maintenance especially when something of a "Big Deal" breaks. can you afford it?

This is a question you should ask yourself before you get a ride because of it's sweetness and difference. I dont blame Toyota lovers anyway, in Nigeria, reliability comes first.

i was in a workshop once and my mechanic was attending to another customer, he uses Range Rover sport and was having issues with suspension. The mechanic quoted his bills and he was angry, to my suprise, he faced me and started explaining to me in agony as if i asked him for explanations or forced him to buy the ride. I just dey nod as if i was interested in his long talks so he wont feel worse grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Elon Musk Set To Launch His Tesla Roadster To Mars On SpaceX Heavy Lift Rocket / Jaguar Unveil It's 1st Ever Electric Car,The 395bhp I-Pace With A 298-Mile Range / How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.