Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? (9346 Views)

Ten Reasons You Shouldn't Celebrate Maolid Nabiyy / Is Bank And Cooperative Loans Haram Or Halal? / Muslims Engagement In Multi Level Marketing; Halal Or Haram? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by ardeks(m): 10:39am On Dec 18, 2015
Assalamu alaikum

If there was any khair in celebrating the Mawlid, do you think the Prophet ﷺ would have remained silent on this?

And were not the Sahaabah who loved the Prophet ﷺ the most?

Also, there is no report from the Prophet’s own daughter, Faatimah رضي الله عنها. There is no report from `Ali رضي الله عنه. Then are we better than them or do we know better than them?

Abu Dharr رضي الله عنه said:

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم left us (in such a state) that there was not a bird flapping it wings in the air except that he صلى الله عليه وسلم would teach us about it.

He (Abu Dharr) said: the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said:

❝ THERE IS NOTHING LEFT WHICH WOULD TAKE YOU CLOSER TO THE JANNAH AND DISTANCE YOU FROM THE FIRE, EXCEPT THAT IT HAS BEEN MADE CLEAR TO YOU.”

��[al-Tabaraanee in Mu`jam al-Kabeer (1647) and graded as “Saheeh” by Shaikh al-Albaanee in al-Saheehah (1803)]

Al-`Irbaadh bin Saariyah رضي الله عنه said:

The Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليع وسلم delivered a moving speech to us which made our eyes flow with tears and made our hearts melt.
We said: 'O Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليع وسلم! This is a speech of farewell. What did you enjoin upon us?'
He صلى الله عليع وسلم said:

❝ I AM LEAVING YOU UPON A BRIGHT (PATH) WHOSE NIGHT IS LIKE ITS DAY. NO ONE WILL DEVIATE FROM IT AFTER I AM GONE BUT ONE WHO IS DOOMED. Whoever among you lives will see great conflict. I urge you to adhere to what you know of my Sunnah and the path of the Rightly-Guided Caliphs, and cling stubbornly to it. And you must obey, even if (your leader is) an Abyssinian leader. For the true believer is like a camel with a ring in its nose; wherever it is driven, it complies.”

��[Sunan Ibn Maajah (43) and graded as “Saheeh” by Shaikh al-Albaanee and Shaikh Shu`aib al-Arna’oot]

Adding new ibadats to Islam is called bid'at, and it is haram. Then the question turns into Is there an ibadat in Islam for celebrating the birth day of the nabi?. The answer is no. There is no birthday celebration for the nabi in Islam. Nabi's followers had never done any kind of celebration or birthday party for him when he was alive.

Birthday celebration for the nabi is definitely bid'at. Even those who intensely claim that it is not haram accept that it is a bid'at. But they say that it is a good kind of bid'at (bid'at-i hasene). Every bid'at is haram, there is no kind of "good bid'at".

The nabi Muhammad was born in year 571. But, the first mawlid was celebrated in 1232 in Egypt. These celebrations are done mostly by mushriks of the type that are defined in Quran as the ones who are obedient to the pat which they find their fathers on. They defend themselves by saying "These celebrations are being done for centuries. Did all those people do wrong all those years? There were many scholars and omniscient among them. How do you know better than them?".

وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمْ تَعَالَوْاْ إِلَى مَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ وَإِلَى الرَّسُولِ قَالُواْ حَسْبُنَا مَا وَجَدْنَا عَلَيْهِ آبَاءنَا أَوَلَوْ كَانَ آبَاؤُهُمْ لاَ يَعْلَمُونَ شَيْئًا وَلاَ يَهْتَدُونَ
And when it is said to them, "Come to what Allah has revealed and to the Messenger," they say, "Sufficient for us is that upon which we found our fathers." Even though their fathers knew nothing, nor were they guided?

Quran - AL-MA'IDAH (THE TABLE SPREAD) [5:104]

The number of people doing something can not be used to prove that that thing is rightful. There is no such celebrations in Islam. They are injected inside Islam many years after the death of the nabi. Christians celebrate birthday of a certain nabi, we Muslims don't have such a sunnah (convention).

Allah knows best.
Source: http://islamicfrat.com/islamicfrat-forum/the-lounge/5-maolid-nabiy-haram-or-halal.html#5

8 Likes

Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by dragnet: 3:25pm On Dec 19, 2015
baarokaLlaahu feekum

1 Like

Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by ardeks(m): 11:08pm On Dec 19, 2015
dragnet:
baarokaLlaahu feekum
Aameen thumma aameen
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Fundamentalist: 11:44pm On Dec 20, 2015
Good write up. May Allah continue to bless you
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by ardeks(m): 10:55pm On Dec 21, 2015
Fundamentalist:
Good write up. May Allah continue to bless you
Ameen... And you too bro.
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by tunde1200(m): 9:51am On Dec 22, 2015
please when is Maolud nabiy coming up?
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 22, 2015
How about eating food prepared for maulud nabiy when offered to one?
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Lukmann(m): 10:44am On Dec 28, 2015
enieme:
How about eating food prepared for maulud nabiy when offered to one?

Salam alaykee..it will be better not to eat or accept their food to show that you are displeased or not in support of their festival..maulid nabiy is a bida'atul mufassiqah(innovation of transgression) and accepting their food knowin d evil in maulid can indirectly make you a mubtadi(innovator)
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lukmann:

Salam alaykee..it will be better not to eat or accept their food to show that you are displeased or not in support of their festival..maulid nabiy is a bida'atul mufassiqah(innovation of transgression) and accepting their food knowin d evil in maulid can indirectly make you a mubtadi(innovator)
Wa alayk.
No I don't agree with ur point About accepting the food making one an innovator. what of those who greet and eat with pple on Christmas celebration, will they then be termed disbelievers going by ur line of reasoning?
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Lukmann(m): 3:27pm On Dec 28, 2015
enieme:

Wa alayk.
No I don't agree with ur point About accepting the food making one an innovator. what of those who greet and eat with pple on Christmas celebration, will they then be termed disbelievers going by ur line of reasoning?

u dont get my point..eating food prepared purposely for maulid means u recognise the festival it becums even more dangerous if u know dat d maulid is a bida'a and u are u supported it by eatin the food and anyone who supports an innovation is an innovator and on the matter of xmas it is a matter of aqeedah n it shldnt be taken lightly eatin an xmas food is haram.maulid is a case of innovation while xmas is a case of belief so d comparism u gave doesnt allign..now let me ask u a qstn.Can u eat a food prepared expressly for ogun festival? if NO then whats d difference btwn ogun festival and xmas?

1 Like

Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 3:30pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lukmann:

walaikum Salaam
I disagree with this, dear brother. They are muslims and there is nothing in the Qur'an or hadith that forbids mawlud but the it's debatable.

But the food? ....common, they are muslims and the food is halal. Eating is it khayr. It does not make one innovator at all. Criteria determining halal/haram food is mentioned in Sura maida. Not the celebration itself. Remember they have "proof" for mawlud nabi as well even though you disagree.
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 3:44pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lukmann:

u dont get my point..eating food prepared purposely for maulid means u recognise the festival it becums even more dangerous if u know dat d maulid is a bida'a and u are u supported it by eatin the food and anyone who supports an innovation is an innovator and on the matter of xmas it is a matter of aqeedah n it shldnt be taken lightly eatin an xmas food is haram.maulid is a case of innovation while xmas is a case of belief so d comparism u gave doesnt allign..now let me ask u a qstn. [b]Can u eat a food prepared expressly for ogun festival? if NO then whats d difference btwn ogun festival and xmas?[b]
Qur'an specifically mentioned "people of the Book" that their food is lawful to muslims.

But we should not take the verse in isolation. At the time Quran was revealed, it was possible that the christians at that time still followed the SACRED LAW. So you can't compare christians food with Ogun worshippers from that sense.

Today however, Christians have divorced sacred laws from society. They worship Jesus even though they got their Jesus wrong. Plus December 25th is another birthday entirely for the devil. Therefore, today, their xmas festival is haram....eating the food is haram too bcus 99.99% chance is it's not slaughtered halal or kosher manners.

There is also a rare case, possibly in Africa, where christian family with muslims, in order for them to entertain muslims amongst them , knowing that muslims would not eat their food, they ask muslims to slaughter the chicken, ram etc.

See the strategy? . Would u eat that?. If you ask me, Yes I would. Not for their xmas but for me. grin I won't even eat it in their gatherings to show that I'm not in for their festival. That doesn't mean I hate them.
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Lukmann(m): 3:46pm On Dec 28, 2015
Empiree:
walaikum Salaam
I disagree with this, dear brother. They are muslims and there is nothing in the Qur'an or hadith that forbids mawlud but the is debatable.

But the food? ....common, they are muslims and the food is halal. Eating is it khayr. It does not make one innovator at all. Criteria determining halal/haram food is mentioned in Sura maida. Not the celebration itself. Remember they have "proof" for mawlud nabi as well even though you disagree.

My dear brother i neva said they aren't muslim moreover u said it urself that the evidences for or against maulid are debatable therefore m not wrong if i follow a certain a specific scholar's line of thought so far it is based on authentic daleel.where i myt be wrong is forcing my opinion on this thread when there is ikhtilaf on the matter..May Allah(swa) forgive us on our shortcomings
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 3:49pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lukmann:

My dear brother i neva said they aren't muslim moreover u said it urself that the evidences for or against maulid are debatable therefore m not wrong if i follow a certain a specific scholar's line of thought so far it is based on authentic daleel.where i myt be wrong is forcing my opinion on this thread when there is ikhtilaf on the matter..May Allah(swa) forgive us on our shortcomings
No, you aren't forcing anything. Do they (scholars you refered to) have daleel prohibiting eating food prepared for mawlud?
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Lukmann(m): 4:01pm On Dec 28, 2015
Empiree:
No, you aren't forcing anything. Do they (scholars you refered to) have daleel prohibiting eating food prepared for mawlud?

Oh! on the aspect of the food there is no daleel on it but i guess they did qiyaas
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 4:29pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lukmann:

Oh! on the aspect of the food there is no daleel on it but i guess they did qiyaas
If indeed they did qiyas and concluded that eating mawlud food is mukhru or makes one innovator, I'm sure those involved are those who simply against it. That's not hard to figure out and in that case, is their opinion.

Absolutely nothing wrong eating food prepared for the mawlud. It doesn't make anymore innovator
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Lukmann(m): 4:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
Empiree:
If indeed they did qiyas and concluded that eating mawlud food is mukhru or makes one innovator, I'm sure those involved are those who simply against it. That's not hard to figure out and in that case, is their opinion.

Absolutely nothing wrong eating food prepared for the mawlud. It doesn't make anymore innovator

yea it doesn't but as for me based on my on convictions which doesn't support maulid i wont accept d food. wink
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 5:30pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lukmann:

yea it doesn't but as for me based on my on convictions which doesn't support maulid i wont accept d food. wink
undecided

Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Lukmann(m): 6:17pm On Dec 28, 2015
Empiree:
undecided

My brother there is a big deal in it..if the companions who drank directly from d fountain of knowledge of the prophet didnt celebrate maulid who are we to.hence,my refusal to accept d food
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 6:53pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lukmann:

My brother there is a big deal in it..if the companions who drank directly from d fountain of knowledge of the prophet didnt celebrate maulid who are we to.hence ,my refusal to accept d food
They have been throwing this statement around for donkey years @bolded. I only attended mawlud once in my adult life (1996). I dont know of my childhood. What I benefited then remains with me today. And that was something I could not imagine reading in Islamic literature till years later. So long as Mawlud remains so, I will never reprimand mawlud.
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Lukmann(m): 7:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
Empiree:
They have been throwing this statement around for donkey years @bolded. I only attended mawlud once in my adult life (1996). I dont know of my childhood. What I benefited then remains with me today. And that was something I could not imagine reading in Islamic literature till years later. So long as Mawlud remains so, I will never reprimand mawlud.

It still doesnt change d fact dat they didnt do it..remember the prophet said"follow my sunnah and dat of the rightly guided caliphs"..any oda thing oda than dat is based on desires..i rest my case..salam alayka

1 Like

Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by dragnet: 8:25pm On Dec 28, 2015
so if one learns good arithmetic from a brothel, that makes the brothel not blameworthy?

Allaah says **translation: "help one another in good and piety", eating mawlood food is going against the directive of Allaah. plain and simple.

The prophet never celebrated his birthday anniversary while alive, after his demise, the companions didn't, those that came after them didn't till that tyrant innovated it. If there was any good in it, would it have been so avoided by the pious predecessors?

2 Likes

Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 9:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lukmann:

It still doesnt change d fact dat they didnt do it..remember the prophet said"follow my sunnah and dat of the rightly guided caliphs"..any oda thing oda than dat is based on desires..i rest my case..salam alayka
The issue of Maulud will forever be debated.

Truly, there isn't anything in the Quran or Suunah where the prophet (SAW) EXCLUSIVELY ordered Muslims to celebrate his birthday. Mawlud itself is NOT exclusively act of worship either. Worship or Ibaadat is bowing down. So blameworthy bida'a is innovation in worship.

Example, Sharia is to:

* offer 5 daily salat but to make it 6 is bida'a

* each salah prescribed mandatory number of rakat
(we can not make fajr 1 or 3 rakat, zuhr and Asr 3 or 5 rakat, maghrib 2 or 4 rakat or ishai 3 or 6 rakat. Doing so constitutes bida'a)

* we are ordained to recited sura fathia each rakah. We can not substitute it for "solati Ibrahimiyah" or "solati fathi". This is bida'a

Ramadan: We can not interpolate its period....doing so constitutes bida'a

Zakat: We can not abandon it(kufr) and we can not enforce higher percentage or rate(bida'a)

This method applies to other mandatory acts or beliefs. Other nafilat, supererogatory acts or mustahab are flexible and debatable.

Now, i am not gonna defend mawlud as done everywhere. Obviously it is different in every region. Here is the way it was done as described by this fellow when i was growing up. And it is still like that in some places in Nigeria. But i can understand why some muslims dont want to participate in it anymore. I say, so long as it remains as described below, I have no problem with it at all because it not like drinking beer.

Here is what the fellow said:

In my community, we used to celebrate the birth day of Mohammed (PBUH). In the past 30 or so years a lot of people start saying this is haram. Many people stopped doing it for many reasons but mainly not because they said it is haram but because the people who prohibit it are really bothering the people who do it. Like calling us "Mushrikin" or "Bid'ah".

I can see why they prohibit it, because some people do something considered odd by most Muslims, Like dancing or singing.. But the Celebrations I am talking about are simple, No dancing or any stuff like that. We gather, we read Quran, say some stories about Mohammed (PBUH) and remind each other about his ethics (Akhlaq). One more thing to mention, this kind of Mawlids are celebrated in many random days in a year not only in the real birthday of the prophet. But the name is Mawlid still. I think we do it this way to avoid making that day so special. Many times we call it 'Jalsat Zekr' جلسة ذكر and not Mawlid.

So i wont deny some Muslims amongst them have gone too far doing silly things. But i dont use that to judge the essence. Those who go against Mawlud as well have gone so far by labeling them mushrik. One thing is clear, there isnt anything in the Quran or hadith that forbid such gathering as described above. Correct me if i am wrong?. There are ahadith that back this up. Some places in Nigeria dont even celebrate mawlud ONLY during Rabiu Awwal
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by dragnet: 10:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
If you want to celebrate mawlud you can only do it by not attributing it to islaam, but once you attribute it to islaam then you must bring an evidence for it because that's the basis otherwise it is a newly invented act which the prophet has said is misguidance and every misguidance will end up in the fire.
Every action in islaam is backed up with evidence and mode of performing them. and the Prophet told us that we only have two eids, but you want to add another eid, who should we believe? You or the Prophet?

1 Like

Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by dragnet: 10:21pm On Dec 28, 2015
and when it even comes to the authenticity of the date being celebrated, the texts backing the 12th of robiul awwal as the date of birth are weak but the texts backing the authenticity of the death in robiul awwal are stronger! but they're less concerned with evidences. All they wana do is celebrate.
Allaahulmusta'aan...
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 10:28pm On Dec 28, 2015
It's interesting that only in recent years I started to notice "eld mawlud nabi". Growing up, we never even considered it an Eld. Or additional eld. I guess folks chose to call it that way. Oh well, i have nothing against it so long as the event in itelf is within sharia boundary.

Wallahu alam
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by dragnet: 8:31am On Dec 29, 2015
if it has to be within "Sharia boundary" then first, it has to have a source from the sharia and unfortunately, it doesn't.
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 1:11pm On Dec 29, 2015
^ Here, help yourself. It is only 10 mins per clip of 5 clips. Watch it and tell me what's against Sharia therein. If however, you disagree, you will have to defend "Quranic competition" after primary madrasa. Is that specifically mentioned in the Quran and sunnah?. Answer is no. Is sunnatic? Yes. So how did they come about it?. Answer is left for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_4rfP7SIp0
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by dragnet: 5:22pm On Dec 29, 2015
if you've been able to gather any evidence from the video then submit it because I can't. and with respect to quranic competition, I don't know anything about it.
and whatever it is, they're totally different scenarios and are exclusive so that argument is totally weak and faulty and there's no basis for comparison in the least.
You really should understand some basics before just putting anything together.
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 5:35pm On Dec 29, 2015
Lol.....I already watched it. Whats the point of gathering evidence from the video and post it?. It's better you watch from A-Z yourself. Your just being lazy, thats all grin

As for Quranic competition, oh well, I have no problem with it but kindly ask your buddy, kenny or fundamentalist. Either of them said it's bida'a. And that's not even sufi thing. It's entire ummah. Help yourself pal.
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by dragnet: 5:53pm On Dec 29, 2015
If you like talk say I lazy, na u sabi because no be new thing for me, I conserve energy a lot but people call it laziness, all na english!
But the matter is very simple, bring evidence for it's admissibility and mode of performing it from the shariah, at least if you claim it's within the shariah boundary, there must be pointers towards it.
Re: Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? by Empiree: 6:05pm On Dec 29, 2015
Very simple. After you conserved your energy finish grin abeg, come back to work

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Story Of Prophet Musa And Khidr : Indeed Allah Is All Knowing / The Kafir Named Yahya Solaati Died Yesterday In Ilorin / Why Boko Haram Turned To Mosques Bombing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.