Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,856 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend (1934 Views)

Malian Scaled 4 Storeys To Save Child In Paris, Met President, Gets Citizenship / How American CIA Killed Osama Bin Laden 5 Years Ago! [PHOTOS] / Chloe Clement Who Took Bullets For His Friend In The Paris Attack (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 11:37pm On Dec 18, 2015
William Kyle Carpenter was 19 years old when he enlisted in the Marine Corps. delayed entry program. In July 2010 at the age of 21 and rank of Lance Corporal, he was deployed overseas to Afghanistan.

November 21st was the day Carpenter would show immense courage while looking into the the face of death. Carpenter threw himself on a live enemy grenade to protect the life of his comrade Lance Corporal Nick Eufrazio.The explosion left Carpenter with shattered bones in his face, a missing right eye, extensive damage to his right arm, shrapnel wounds, a depressed skull fracture that required brain surgery, a collapse right lung, and the loss of a third of his lower jaw.
"My body was torn apart by an enemy hand grenade ... upon arriving at Camp Bastion, I was labeled P.E.A. — patient expired on arrival. I flat-lined at Walter Reed. The enemy killed me. I came back." Two-and-a-half years in the hospital and 40 surgeries later, Kyle Carpenter was on the way to recovery.
He was given the Purple Heart Medal, awarded to members of the armed forces who are wounded by an instrument of war at the hands of the enemy. He also received the highest military honor in the United States of America.
On June 19th, 2014, Kyle Carpenter became the eighth living recipient of the Medal of Honor presented to him at the White House by President Obama. This is awarded to those who showed personal acts of valor above and beyond the call of duty.
Carpenter says he is just getting started on his journey of recovery five years after the incident. He has run marathons in honor of fellow veterans and those who have given their lives for others, as well as being an advocate for wounded servicemen and women, as well as a motivational speaker.

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by fistonati(m): 11:39pm On Dec 18, 2015
How do this OP defined YOUNG VETERAN.
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by freakthingz(m): 11:41pm On Dec 18, 2015
Lol @ the smart guy above me

You get sense
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 11:42pm On Dec 18, 2015
After the bomb blast

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 11:46pm On Dec 18, 2015
fistonati:
How do this OP defined YOUNG VETERAN.

Oga I too know, please define it for me?
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 11:46pm On Dec 18, 2015
Lalastica pls do the needful..
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by madridguy(m): 11:53pm On Dec 18, 2015
Nonsense.
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by Orjioorji(f): 11:55pm On Dec 18, 2015
if its in nigeria the government would have help to kill him finaly send his family packing from the barrack and forget about him.
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by sulmeza(m): 11:59pm On Dec 18, 2015
madridguy:
Nonsense.
nonsense??..u rili see dis as nonsense??...

btw kudos to d guy...he's a true warrior..i so much admire his spirit

2 Likes

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by madridguy(m): 12:00am On Dec 19, 2015
Stop painting Nigeria black.

Orjioorji:
if its in nigeria the government would have help to kill him finaly send his family packing from the barrack and forget about him.

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 12:06am On Dec 19, 2015
Orjioorji:

Exactly.. How many wounded soldiers has our government taken care of? Even the cash meant for our soldiers welfare is embezzled by top military officers..

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 12:06am On Dec 19, 2015
madridguy:

But that is the bitter truth
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 12:07am On Dec 19, 2015
madridguy:
Nonsense.

Dis thread is not for kids.. Pls go play with ur mates

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by madridguy(m): 12:19am On Dec 19, 2015
Play with my mate by this time ? I wanna play on nairaland and its disgusting with this your nonsense thread. What do we stand to gain on a thread of someone that left US to Afghanistan to kill innocent souls ? Wise up bro. If you're G.I then am sorry and if not then sorry na your name. Don't bother to call Lala cos am sure he won't answer you.

autotrader014:

Dis thread is not for kids.. Pls go play with ur mates
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by Andykruiz(m): 12:23am On Dec 19, 2015
Now, that's a hero.
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by likila: 12:32am On Dec 19, 2015
Andykruiz:
Now, that's a hero.

Not the snake charmer general who kill 1000 innocent,prayerful, hardworking Nigerians because he want to pass road.
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by Andykruiz(m): 12:42am On Dec 19, 2015
likila:

Not the snake charmer general who kill 1000 innocent,prayerful, hardworking Nigerians because he want to pass road.
Abi, Burutai or what's his name again?
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by yemolexy(m): 12:49am On Dec 19, 2015
madridguy:
Nonsense.
I disagree with you. I think its more of love personified
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by honeygirl17: 12:58am On Dec 19, 2015
madridguy:
Nonsense.
Receive sense in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by madridguy(m): 1:01am On Dec 19, 2015
No dey follow follow.... Grow up kid and stop fooling yourselves on what you gotta no knowledge of. Now tell me , what is the moral of this thread ?

honeygirl17:

Receive sense in Jesus name
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by honeygirl17: 1:06am On Dec 19, 2015
madridguy:
No dey follow follow.... Grow up kid and stop fooling yourselves on what you gotta no knowledge of. Now tell me , what is the moral of this thread ?

Until they chant sai baba on a thread every other thread is without morals, right? That young man endangered his life to save a friend.
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by madridguy(m): 1:14am On Dec 19, 2015
By killing thousands of innocent souls ?

honeygirl17:

Until they chant sai baba on a thread every other thread is without morals, right? That young man endangered his life to save a friend.
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by Ayt27(m): 1:17am On Dec 19, 2015
Young Veteran
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 7:05am On Dec 19, 2015
madridguy:
By killing thousands of innocent souls ?

So by going to Afghanistan, he has killed innocent souls automatically? Ur level of stvpidiity is quite alarming angry

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by madridguy(m): 7:11am On Dec 19, 2015
You're noting but a slave.

autotrader014:

So by going to Afghanistan, he has killed innocent souls automatically? Ur level of stvpidiity is quite alarming angry
Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 19, 2015
madridguy:

My man, Is the country not BLACK already...?
Are we not BLACKS.. .?
Rather, u are the one painting us EVIL by relegating black to the background.

BLACK no be color...?
Wait make MUGABE catch you there

Please, choose another color. grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Years Ago, A Young Veteran Threw Himself On A Grenade To Save His Friend by autotrader014(m): 7:53am On Dec 19, 2015
EVILFOREST:

My man, Is the country not BLACK already...?
Are we not BLACKS.. .?

Please, choose another color. grin grin

Lol

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Were Ready, Our Arsenal Is 'Stronger&More Powerful Than Ever', Trump Warns Kim / See What Blacks Go Through In Asia / Kim Jong-un Bans Mullet Hairstyles And Skinny Jeans In North Korea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.