Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,195 members, 7,953,704 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:00 AM

I Hate Being Smart! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Hate Being Smart! (18486 Views)

Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System / I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student / Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by jackpot(f): 11:20pm On Jan 12, 2016
agentofchange1:
Ahh! Guys guys ...haba .na....cnt stand u guys raining Insults on "my" mathschic like dar ...abeg...go easy with her...advice and constructive criticism is what required.. not Insults , she thinks/knows she's smart . And I know she Is , she just needs to balance up things ..intelligence, Creativity , innovation.n Social life.

@ my dear , mathschic...I think you should edit d tittle of the thread ..so it doesn't look like ur boasting or smtin...

cc: .Jackpot. ( cm.n rescue a sister.),.

#Shalom.
Nna eh, they are firing from all cylinders.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 12:04am On Jan 13, 2016
cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy you for gree carry last like us?

The kind beat wey we receive sha

We received sense by force cheesy

Plus thousands of people who predicted our future mhhen we had to prove em wrong

;Dsince we had nothing to be respected for, we had to make money

Since we know we won't get any job with our poor results
We had to find a way to get that money

#teamdumbass grin

We were alwaysed pushed how ever we withstood the pressure gained stenght from the weight then realized that best defence is to attack so we attacked grin the result was victory

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by jackpot(f): 12:46am On Jan 13, 2016
truth be told, this same thought have crossed most of our minds. Take it easy on me sister, pls
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by MathsChic(f): 6:35am On Jan 13, 2016
oloyolo:

Plus thousands of people who predicted our future mhhen we had to prove em wrong

#teamdumbass grin

We were alwaysed pushed how ever we withstood the pressure gained stenght from the weight then realized that best defence is to attack so we attacked grin the result was victory

This was actually funny cheesy
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by MathsChic(f): 6:36am On Jan 13, 2016
jackpot:
truth be told, this same thought have crossed most of our minds. Take it easy on me sister, pls
Trust me, I'm fine. smiley It's actually not coming down that hard on me.
I read every comment. And need I say they were all interesting smiley
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Wiseoldman: 6:40am On Jan 13, 2016
Olobe, proud dumbass...

oloyolo:

#teamdumbass grin

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 13, 2016
That is not being smart.There is a difference between wisdom and knowledge.Trust me,I enjoy being smart + the complement I get from people spur me up
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by poik(m): 9:04am On Jan 13, 2016
MathsChic:
Sometimes I just hate being smart. Being smart, getting A's in school will make you top your class and later provide you with a decent to very lucrative job that's just going to assure your future. You won't be poor and you'll live a comfortable life. But sometimes, I just can't help but wonder at how boring and mundane everything eventually becomes. sad sad angry

On the other hand, not getting all the A's and not topping your class will throw you out there, challenge you to dream big and force you to come up with a living that could probably break bounds, making you into a household name. Linda Ikeji, Toke Makinwa, Folorunsho Alakija, Oprah, these are people who certainly didn't get the best grades in school or studied the best courses at university, yet they shape and influence the polity more than the best graduating student in Electrical Engineering from the set 1985 in Unilag would ever do. And who's that best graduating student anways? I bet no one knows today! sad sad

I so hate being smart! I wish I was a regular one that would have had to create something for herself. sad angry

I beg to disagree. Being educationally smart adds flavour even to your endeavour. Can you ever compare Wizkid to Naeto-C or Darey-Art Alade? These are academic high flyers who are alos holding it down in entertainment. Socrates was in the Brazilian National team and is a qualified medical doctor. Dr Sid is a dentist.
I just see that argument as one that favours lazy people.Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Oby Ezekwesili, Reuben Abati, Akinwunmi Adesina, Babatunde Osotimehin, these were all first class materials. Which other fame are u talking about?
No dey talk dis kind thing abeg. And am going for my PhD soon.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 13, 2016

Ha ha ha ha....

You sound like my younger brother. I mean while we are all smart arses, he seems to be the super-mega-smart.

But he says the exact same thing. He claims his mates who went into politics and entertainment (especially music and stand up comedy) are driving range rovers and will get quicker attention in a mall or a bank before him.

grin grin grin grin grin

Any way nothing gives everlasting happiness. Work hard and play hard. Isn't that what they say?

Your straight As do not mean that you wont have to create stuff for yourself either.

You can also be smart and be a celebrity. Abi na? You must not end up in NASA.

I know your problem .You reside in Lagos where most celebrity stay.Those celebrities be it a singer , actor , comedian,trust me those people you see today if they were as smart as your bro and have the opportunity to go to school.They won't end up in the entertainment industry-70 percent of them had to fend for themselves or weren't doing well academically that's the reason they took that part.So y'al shouldn't envy them,If you are super smart then come out with an innovation , be a successful a business man or a great scientist , discover a new drug.Is not all about entertainment wearing dog chains having this girls with no future drooling over this guys that will eventually break their heart or they end up being a baby mama.

2 Likes

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Tellemall: 10:08am On Jan 13, 2016
MathsChic:
Sometimes I just hate being smart. Being smart, getting A's in school will make you top your class and later provide you with a decent to very lucrative job that's just going to assure your future. You won't be poor and you'll live a comfortable life. But sometimes, I just can't help but wonder at how boring and mundane everything eventually becomes. sad sad angry

On the other hand, not getting all the A's and not topping your class will throw you out there, challenge you to dream big and force you to come up with a living that could probably break bounds, making you into a household name. Linda Ikeji, Toke Makinwa, Folorunsho Alakija, Oprah, these are people who certainly didn't get the best grades in school or studied the best courses at university, yet they shape and influence the polity more than the best graduating student in Electrical Engineering from the set 1985 in Unilag would ever do. And who's that best graduating student anways? I bet no one knows today! sad sad

I so hate being smart! I wish I was a regular one that would have had to create something for herself. sad angry

You're so smart that you had to create this thread on how smart you are instead of using your self-acclaimed 'smartness'to figure out how to go about handling your 'smart' issues? Wow.

That does not seem ...

3 Likes

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by shaboti: 1:48pm On Jan 13, 2016
Forwetinnah:

Safari-geeeh has spoken!! I trust grin

@MathsChic, Make i drop one Fluid Mechanics kweshun for you..just one, weda you no go piss! You need to come off your high horse!!
hi. Are you a mech engineering student?
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Wallie(m): 6:50pm On Jan 13, 2016
MathsChic:

Your conclusions are wrong.
1. How many people “not getting all the A's and not topping your class” are turning into household names?
2. You are basing smartness solely on acing exams and topping classes. Some people are smart but simple unmotivated or read just enough to pass exams with A-B grades.
3. Being able to ace exams does not necessarily mean that the person understands the applications of what was learnt. The person might just have a photographic memory or spent a lot of time cramming the subject.
4. There are a lot of people with only secondary school education but are indeed geniuses and very successful. http://elitedaily.com/news/business/100-top-entrepreneurs-succeeded-college-degree/

Being successful is usually attributable to a confluence of things. Here are some of the true reasons why the smartest people are not the most successful.
1. They send too much time thinking and too little time doing.
2. They overvalue things like credentials and college degrees.
3. They run away from risk instead of sprinting toward it.
4. They lose sight of the inches.
5. They look for “proof” and “evidence” and “data points” before moving forward when no such thing actually exists.
6. They value complexity over simplicity when simplicity trumps complexity every time.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshlinkner/2013/02/14/6-reasons-the-smartest-people-arent-the-most-successful/#2715e4857a0b7fd718072a85

Having average intelligence, strong work ethic, and grit will beat "pure smart" in the real world any day of the week.

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Mixty: 10:30pm On Jan 14, 2016

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by MathsChic(f): 7:22am On Jan 15, 2016
Mixty:

Mathschic... this is not your profile picture. you are using someone's picture to front. Even your previous picture was not yours.
I know the person on your profile and she's definitely not you. Stop using other people's picture to gain "likes".

lol. interesting
Please stop this.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by spacyzuma(m): 10:54am On Jan 15, 2016
Mixty:

Mathschic... this is not your profile picture. you are using someone's picture to front. Even your previous picture was not yours.
I know the person on your profile and she's definitely not you. Stop using other people's picture to gain "likes".

cc
lalasticlala
crazyman
naijaboiy
tosyne2much
mynd44

WOW!!!
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by xp17(m): 6:39am On Jan 23, 2016
MathsChic:

On the other hand, not getting all the A's and not topping your class will throw you out there, challenge you to dream big and force you to come up with a living that could probably break bounds, making you into a household name. Linda Ikeji, Toke Makinwa, Folorunsho Alakija, Oprah, these are people who certainly didn't get the best grades in school or studied the best courses at university,yet they shape and influence the polity more than the best graduating student in Electrical Engineering from the set 1985 in Unilag would ever do. And who's that best graduating student anways? I bet no one knows today! sad sad

The bolded clearly indicates you're not smart enough as you claim. Not until you stop bossing anyone and getting directives from em, you're just a regular person. You think deriving runge kutta equation or solving quantum mechanics that some other dude already worked hard for is smartness? I can as well go to the textbooks to copy them with ease, you know? My dear you need more than A's and a lucrative job. All you did here was narrowing everything to academic lane, just like a carpenter who sees every problem as a nail.

You being the black sheep of your family is smartness? grin What planet are you from? grin Aunty, that is not smartness, its probably because other members of the family are lowballs or lazy enough to depend on you. No disrespect, Stop deceiving yourself.

In your statement, oprah Winfrey was not smart,yet able to shape and influence the polity. If that is not being
Smart, then you probably using a non existing dictionary.
Some fella like you said floy mayweather can't read a full page of harryporter novel, yet he's the all time most intelligent boxer in the welterweight category.

Abeg, stop exposing your ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Elxandre(m): 1:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
I mean which person actually wants to me dumber?

I strongly believe you overrate yourself!

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 12:13am On Feb 14, 2016
FOR THE RECORDS... I WAS HERE! grin
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by AreaFada2: 1:35pm On Feb 17, 2016
I get mathschic's drift.

If book smart, there are also eyes on you.

You keep being compared with confirmed "olodos" later in life. In terms of material success.

Visiting 9ja, I hear certain relatives say how their son has built a house, etc.
Their kids who struggled academically then. I keep wondering why they tell me. I don't tell them things I have done or not done. cheesy grin

A relative once told me something that shaped my thinking immensely.

He said "although you're the smartest kid in the entire extended family, and you will rise to a big position in life, however, those far less intelligent under you will use pen to eat all the money".

This statement came when I refused to pay inflated price over the cover price for his favourite newspaper one Saturday morning.

So I didn't buy the inflated Guardian from paper vendor by the roadside.

In effect, he was saying that despite my excellent academic record, my penchant for honesty and strictness won't get me anywhere materially in 9ja. I was just 12. But from that moment I resolved that I won't live in 9ja. He was a lecturer then. And he doesn't know till today.

And a few years later I refused to take up my place in a 9ja university. Instead I travelled abroad to study.

We should be careful what we tell kids.

Also, we should stop comparing people in terms of material success, each person has his/her own destiny.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by sunny442: 4:07am On Feb 23, 2016
If you are not careful nairaland users will confuse you Bae you have the right to feel the way you feel jare

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by bankybobo11: 7:29pm On Mar 21, 2016
MathsChic:

Thanks oh!
I agree sha. Being wise and smart is better. I try to be wise. embarassed

Hi, can we maybe hookup on Whatsapp or fbuk? Methinks we've got a quite a few attributes in common. Thanks
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Coldfeets: 10:49am On Apr 16, 2016
I don't think you're really smart, MathsChic.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be saying that. So you'd rather be dumb, huh?

Damn!

I guess you are confusing being book smart with general smartness.

If I should depict a Venn diagram for you, I'd say that book smart is a subset of general smartness.

You could [url=http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Projects/The%20Nine%20Types%20of%20Intelligence.htm]see for yourself here[/url] that there exists other forms of smartness and those people you mentioned may have these other forms of intelligence which you may not even be aware of.

Maybe you should work more on improving your general smartness and then you'll come to appreciate and even desire to become even smarter.

On another note, do you really like maths? I love maths. And I do love chics who love maths. So please try to get in touch so that we can connect mathematically ASAP! wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

17-year-old Warri Orphan Wins ₦120m Shell University Scholarship / FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike / Resumption From Oau Mid Semester Break

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.