Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane (820 Views)

22-Year-Old Nigerian Man Dies In The US After His Car Crashed (Photo) / 14-Year-Old Nigerian, Timothy Adeoye, Is Missing In London (Photos) / Nigeria’s Youngest Female To Pilot Plane Across America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by Realwvn(m): 1:12pm On Dec 21, 2015
She departed with a dream and returned home a record-breaker.

Inspired by the Tuskeegee Airmen, 15-year-old Kimberly Anyadike flew a single-engine Cessna cross-country from her hometown of Compton, Calif., to Newport News, Va.

Anyadike is thought to be the youngest African American female pilot to complete the journey, which took 13 days. She arrived home in Los Angeles on Saturday, July 11.

Anyadike learned to fly at age 12 through the Compton-based Tomorrow’s Aeronautical Museum, which offers aviation lessons in an after-school program for disadvantaged youths, the Los Angeles Times reported. It was their plane that she flew on her cross-country trip.

The brave teenager came up with the idea for the trip on her own, the museum’s founder, Robert Petgrave, told the Times.

“I told her it was going to be a daunting task, but she just said, ‘Put it on. I got big shoulders,’” Petgrave said.

Along for the historic ride were an adult safety pilot and 87-year-old Levi Thornhill, one of the Tuskeegee Airmen during World War II.

“They left such a great legacy,” Anyadike said of the U.S. Army Air Corps’ all-black combat unit. “I had big shoes to fill. … All they wanted to do was to be patriots for this country. They were told no, that they were stupid, that they didn’t have cognitive development to fly planes. They didn’t listen. They just did what they wanted to do.”

About 50 Tuskeegee Airmen autographed the young pilot’s plane during her journey, the Times reported.

“I wanted to inspire other kids to really believe in themselves,” Anyadike said.

http://www.naijanewsrave.com/15-year-old-nigerian-becomes-youngest-american-female-to-pilot-plane-cross-country/

Cc lalasticlala obinoscopy

Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:13pm On Dec 21, 2015
I came to check her name & ain't disappointed..

Kimberly Anyadike keep repping
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by Monalisa185(f): 1:14pm On Dec 21, 2015
this is good news.....no idiot(bigot) should tribalise this thread ooo...
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:16pm On Dec 21, 2015
Monalisa185:
this is good news.....no idiot(bigot) should tribalise this thread ooo...
that poster above u just did what u said now..
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by BrightEye(m): 1:20pm On Dec 21, 2015
Chai!!! Where some adults never knew how to ride a bike... Chai!!!
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by Monalisa185(f): 1:42pm On Dec 21, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
that poster above u just did what u said now..

I'm sure the poster above me already took the name 'tribal idiot (bigot)
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by Ginaz(f): 1:43pm On Dec 21, 2015
Nice, and me sef can't even drive a car embarassed feels so scary
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:48pm On Dec 21, 2015
Monalisa185:

I'm sure the poster above me already took the name 'tribal idiot (bigot)
and that must have made you start considering suicide as the next option??
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by Monalisa185(f): 1:51pm On Dec 21, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
and that must have made you start considering suicide as the next option??

suicide? hahaha... because you took a name that suites you??

you must sleeping on a moving bicycle...
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:57pm On Dec 21, 2015
Monalisa185:

suicide? hahaha... because you took a name that suites you??

you must sleeping on a moving bicycle...
e pain am oh, hehehehahahahohohohkikiki
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Becomes Youngest American Female To Pilot Plane by myselfonly: 1:31am On Dec 22, 2015
Great but nothing on earth will make me be a passenger on that plane if the situation present itself.

(1) (Reply)

Video Of Hardworking Nigerian Guys In A Tyre Plant In India / Adeyemo Alakija / VISA Free-2018-list Of ALL Countris Nigerian Passport Can Get You Into Visa-free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.