Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom (21246 Views)

Odion Ighalo, His Wife Sonia And Their Children Pictured After Leaving World Cup / Odion Ighalo Set New Goal Record In Chinese Super League / Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:51pm On Dec 21, 2015
As a boy, Odion Ighalo and his Olodi Warriors team-mates would hit the deck when they heard gun fire during training.

The bullets didn’t know the difference between the young footballers and the drug dealers selling their narcotics on a corner of the pitch, who the police were targeting.

Growing up in the Ajegunle ghetto, at the heart of Nigerian city Lagos, life can be like that.

Watford’s in-form striker Ighalo, a devout Christian, thanks God at every opportunity. It is understandable when you consider the miracle of his journey.

The pitch where he would train and play matches as a child is called the ‘Maracana’ by locals. The field in the Tolu area of the community is one of the most popular places in Ajegunle.

Taribo West, formerly of Inter and AC Milan, and Emmanuel Amunike, who played for Barcelona, graced it in their day. At the nearby Navy Playground, beside Boundary market, Nwankwo Kanu and Finidi George have been spotted playing in the past.

Ajegunle has become known as the place that turns filth into gold. Many of the streets are littered with garbage, piled so high in some areas it reaches rooftops.

Some houses are even built on top of great mounds. But out of its depths have emerged footballers who would go on to make waves in Europe. Ighalo is the latest.

His mother, Martina, worked day and night selling water and soft drinks to save up for his first pair of boots.

He chose a pair of adidas Copa Mundials, displaying a touch of class, even back then, which he has carried into the Premier League this season.

His father, Paul, wanted him to go to school and study, so his parents would argue. Ighalo, one of six siblings living with intermittent electricity and poor water, just wanted to play football.

He would kick tin cans or plastic bottles barefoot around the Ajegunle streets. They were not hard to find. The Premier League is hugely popular in Nigeria and he loved watching Dwight Yorke back then and is a Manchester United supporter.

Ighalo sends a chunk of his wages back to family in Nigeria and charities who help kids, schools and widows.

He plans to open up an orphanage there next year. His charitable spending must be considerable: in an age when many players are millionaires by their early 20s, at 26 and having played in La Liga and Serie A he confesses not to be one.

In his teens, he played for Prime and Julius Berger — renamed as Bridge FC — in Nigeria where he was picked up by agent Marcelo Houseman who secured him a move to Lyn in Norway.

There, he was astonished to discover snow for the first time. While some of his fellow countrymen could not tolerate the cold and moved back home, Ighalo was intent on succeeding to keep out of the strife he had left behind.

Then, at 19, he got a big move to Udinese — where Alexis Sanchez was a team-mate — and became part of the Pozzo family. Loans to Pozzo-owned Granada, who he helped to promotion to the Spanish top flight, preceded a loan then permanent transfer to Pozzo-owned Watford.

His goals helped Watford to promotion from the Championship last season — 20 in the league, narrowly behind strike partner Troy Deeney on 21. This season, he has taken over. Deeney has been content playing the foil while Ighalo has scored 12 Premier League goals.

The pair share a friendly relationship. Their children attend the same school and Ighalo, with his proficiency in other languages from his travels, sometimes acts as translator when captain Deeney can’t communicate with one of their players.

But goalscoring has been Ighalo’s primary function. His 28 league strikes in 2015 are greater than anyone in English football’s top four divisions. In the top five European leagues, they put him just behind Cristiano Ronaldo (35), Lionel Messi (33), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (29) and alongside Luis Suarez in joint-fourth.

Despite this, his Watford future was uncertain in the summer. Hebei China Fortune offered £10million for him and big wages, but he turned them down.

It was unsure if he fitted into Quique Sanchez Flores’s plans, but Ighalo did what has been ingrained in him since he was a child, ducking for cover.

He got his head down, kept on believing better was to come and proved his worth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3368745/Odion-Ighalo-terrorised-Liverpool-12-Premier-League-goals-season-Watford-s-striking-phenomenon.html#comments

cc: lalasticlala

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by AnthonyAk(m): 9:54pm On Dec 21, 2015
Upcoming players should take note , greed dosent always pay. a certain Mikel Obi can only be seen in pictures these days

48 Likes

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by vivianblog(f): 8:29am On Dec 22, 2015
tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Ojestas(m): 8:29am On Dec 22, 2015
He's indeed a great striker. . i like when striker scores week in week out!

BTW he should still stick with the average teams. .

Pls, where has Osaze been lately

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by looseweight: 8:29am On Dec 22, 2015
More goals to your boots

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by iteleaye(m): 8:29am On Dec 22, 2015
Nice one

Gold, cream or white native... This shoe plus that combo is a show stopper...

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Demmocrats(m): 8:30am On Dec 22, 2015
When you make GOD the author and finisher of your life, what do you expect, unmerited favour and blessings.

All glory belongs to the Almighty, because without him we are nothing.

28 Likes

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Ask4bigneyo(m): 8:30am On Dec 22, 2015
Thank God for him....

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by ERONX(m): 8:30am On Dec 22, 2015
Beautiful player
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Teewhy2: 8:30am On Dec 22, 2015
Nice one, good to be hard working
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Nobody: 8:31am On Dec 22, 2015
Truly inspiring
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by marshalcarter: 8:32am On Dec 22, 2015
Ok.....keep it up....
GOD bless our hustle...reduce our stress...and double our income....amen smiley

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Janetbeb555: 8:32am On Dec 22, 2015
Ok
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Pavore9: 8:32am On Dec 22, 2015
Inspiring.
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by okonja(m): 8:33am On Dec 22, 2015
ok
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by demarc001: 8:33am On Dec 22, 2015
What then can we say? God has lifted!
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by danduchi(m): 8:34am On Dec 22, 2015
God Ozil me in all my doings and all nairalanders who believe

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by ERONX(m): 8:34am On Dec 22, 2015
Odion Ighalo Liverpool's Nightmare grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by coolshegs10(m): 8:35am On Dec 22, 2015
Oh Lord my God,take away hardship in my life and use me to change the history of my family. click like & claim this

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by odiereke(m): 8:36am On Dec 22, 2015
Keep it up.
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Aspireahead(m): 8:36am On Dec 22, 2015
See as the Journalist take describe Ajegunle so as to paint where Ighalo came from as bad...and am yet to see any player, nonetheless a Nigerian player who returned frm Europe because he couldn't cope with the cold.
well, Ighalo's story is remarkable...i just pray he continuously love what he is doing and don't become greedy.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by witorwitoutyou(m): 8:36am On Dec 22, 2015
ODION IGHALO!
I hope siasia take him along to Rio olympics

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Zico5(m): 8:37am On Dec 22, 2015
Consistency and hardwork are the major key to success in life. Man needs to grab the opportunities when they come. Weldone, u re meant for the top.
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by sunnydayasaba(m): 8:37am On Dec 22, 2015
Great guy. Bigger u
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by ultrazone(m): 8:38am On Dec 22, 2015
Congrats
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by nerodenero: 8:38am On Dec 22, 2015
Then, at 19, he got a big move to Udinese —where Alexis Sanchez was a team-mate — and became part of the [b]Pozzo family. Loans to Pozzo-owned Granada, who he helped to promotion to the Spanish top flight, preceded a loan then permanent transfer to Pozzo-owned Watford.
Pozzo family must be great. If he continues like this, it's just a matter of time before a top-flight team comes for him. It's a win-win for both Ighalo, his club and Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by charsobodo(m): 8:39am On Dec 22, 2015
Inspirational, more goals on the way...
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Gentleveks(m): 8:40am On Dec 22, 2015
This guy that punish liverpool last week although am a liverpool fan i could't help but admire YNWA
Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by Chanchit: 8:40am On Dec 22, 2015
This is the only guy making me happy when it comes to nigerian players now. I just hope Granada would loan Isaac Success too to watford.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom by ruggedtimi(m): 8:41am On Dec 22, 2015
i hope he maintains it for a longtym..cos am.proud of him

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Philippe Troussier: "I Will Beat Nigeria In Uyo, I Know Their Weaknesses" / FIFA Women's World Cup Draw (Live Updates) / Asisat Oshoala Returns To Action As Barcelona Defeats Bayern.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.