Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay (38856 Views)

Odion Ighalo And Wife, Sonia Adesuwa Ighalo In Similar Outfits In New Pictures / Odion Ighalo, His Wife Sonia And Their Children Pictured After Leaving World Cup / Odion Ighalo Set New Goal Record In Chinese Super League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by 9jaBloke: 4:41pm On Feb 06, 2016
Watford striker Odion Ighalo has said he was offered nearly £300,000 a week to move to the Chinese Super League. Going by the present Pounds to Naira exchange rate, that is appoximately N90, 000, 000 per week.

A number of big-name players have signed for Chinese clubs, with Jiangsu Suning paying Chelsea £25 million for Ramires and Shakhtar Donetsk £38.5m for Alex Teixeira, while Guangzhou Evergrande landed Jackson Martinez for £32m.

The Daily Mail reports that Hebei China Fortune, who signed Gael Kakuta on Friday, attempted to secure the signature of Ighalo, who has scored 14 Premier League goals this season.

The Nigeria international said: "I was very close. They made a £10m bid and were offering me over £200,000 a week; a four-year contract. I couldn't sleep for three days.

"That kind of money is not easy to turn down. Some teammates in the dressing room were saying, 'You can't miss this chance.' But I don't jump into decisions like that.

"I prayed about it, and God said it was not for me, no matter how much money it was. I knew God would direct me. When I said I don't want to go, they offered me more money, almost £300,000 a week. I told them it's not about the money."

Ighalo, who signed a new five-year contract at Watford in September, added: "They have called again and I have turned them down again. Maybe if I keep scoring goals, that team will come with triple the money at the end of the season. When the time is right to go to China I will know. If it's for me it will come to pass.

"When I was in Ajegunle, I was watching the Premier League, dreaming one day I would be part of it. If I keep doing what I'm doing I can enjoy my football in England for four, five or six years.

"I helped this team to promotion. How can I leave because of money? I know money is good. With that sort of money I can secure my life. But you can't sell your dream."

Now imagine earning ninety million naira every week for four years. #seriousbucks

http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=2801864&top&wjb=

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Intendy: 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2016
Nice for listening to your GOD.
I never see alert sha.
Land for sale contact me odionighalo@nairaland.com

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Lordtrillion(m): 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2016
Hmm embarassed
Anyway, he knows what's best for him smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by web2X: 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2016
Seriously? Well, Premier League is more rated than Chinese Super League.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
90M multiply by 52

Welldone o Odion..I just pray and hope your village people is not at work! cry

134 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Panzerfaust(m): 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
Jesu!
This is what I keep telling ppl, your talents are going to take you places. Can evn a PROFESSOR earn that in 5 yrs? Once am done with UNI, I'm going into my business full time. Me no get time to dey waka up and down carrying CV begging to be a servant to one dumb expatriate.
Find your talents and key into it. #90 million? WTF!

106 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by tiamiyukunle69(m): 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
It's not just about the money....it's about being relevant and fulfilling purpose

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by truthspeaks: 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
His decision
Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Nobody: 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
I didn't read the post but the title got me screaming

"khwhaaaaaaatttt!"

3 Likes

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by itslinkin4005(m): 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
Waaao I be d first
Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Psalm18: 8:56pm On Feb 06, 2016
China is awash with money right now
But I think it was a good sporting decision. Nobody knows when recession will hit China..

Drogba and Anelka went there for the money and left.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
cool
Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by White007(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
Good man, enough is enough with these players selling their souls, Ramires, Texeira, Ba et al could all have had great top flight careers instead went to a fifth rate league to play for nothing more than money, it's their choice of course but I think selling out as they have was ridiculous.

2 Likes

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by flyca: 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
"I helped this team to promotion. How can I leave because of money? I know money is good. With that sort of money I can secure my life. But you can't sell your dream."

He sounds very intelligent and purpose-driven.

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
Should I say you get sense?
Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by okolimike(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
See money...nice decision sha

1 Like

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by stanbuggy(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
Talking of dream nah cricket u wan go play for China? No be the same futball (your dream).

So u are still playing futball and earning that kind of money!!!

Guy if I swear for u ehhhh! U go leave that useless Watford go hussle beta money for u and your family

#idiot angry

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by timilehin007(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
If na me ehnnnnnnnnnnn chaiiiiiiiiiii God ooo

I go chuk yansh for anus swear for this chinnese..
Bleep Chinese league epl ti take over, iyalaya Jackie chan
Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by TippyTop(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
He may regret this decision in future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by White007(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
He seems a top guy who is keen to chase his dream. Being offered £300k a week and turning it down shows the mentality of the man and it's great to see. Just a side point though, all these people saying mercenaries go to China - if you were offered 10 times your salary to spend two years there abroad, with hefty breaks where you could go home (pre seasons) would you take it?! Bet the majority of you would!

7 Likes

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by vareal(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
Chai if I were in ur shoes I will. Wot ur dream wen it doesn't get u money. Any way the choice is urs
Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by looseweight: 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
I salute and respect his courage.
He chose love for his profession than monetary value...

Check my signature or profile for the safest means of burning belly fat and loosing weight

1 Like

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by adezjamz(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
no b 9ja dem born am. if dem born am for pov*rty, e no go reject.....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
tiamiyukunle69:
It's not just about the money....it's about being relevant and fulfilling purpose

Yes I agree with you
* what is his purpose of playin football?to appear on tv right? Ok
* if one of the big teams in England offer him quarter of that he should happily run to them right? Ok
*he can be relevant like many players in EPL who we don't even know thier name unless they score a goal right? Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by Afrobasic(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
Mumu

Be there expecting them to increase the money 10fold before you go.
Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by ednut1(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
2018 pray dey come bk for u. Owo ni koko. U no go wan broke like kanu nd babayaro
Re: Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay by dimdim001(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
Very tough decision he had to make

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lewandowski Beats Ronaldo And Messi To 2020 FIFA Best Men's Player Award / Amaju Pinnick Spotted In Qatar Watching Brazil Vs Switzerland, Blasted By Fans / Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.